Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

7,415 posts in this topic

'The Swarm' is easily the worst movie Michael Caine ever appeared in.

Oops - I just remembered 'Jaws: The Revenge'!

That's easily the worst movie he was ever in.

'The Swarm' is an excellent movie compared to 'Jaws: The Revenge'.

• Like 2

I agree on Jaws: The Revenge. Complete garbage.

Caine himself lists The SwarmThe Magus, and Ashanti as the three worst films that he's made.

He also had nothing nice to say about a pair of TV movie sequels to the Harry Palmer films in the mid-90's, Bullet to Beijing and Midnight in Saint Petersburg.

• Like 3

Yes indeed darkblue! I was going to correct you but didn't want to seem impertinent. JAWS was definitely Mr. Caine in search of a paycheck. Poor Lorraine Gary...I think that was her last film.

Yeah, gotta say I've always liked Michael Caine.

BUT, sometimes I get the impression that he's kind'a like a male version of Ado Annie, and as in of course...

He's just a boy who can't say 'no' 

(...guess ya gotta admire his work ethic anyway, right?!) 

• Like 2

Caine disliked very much The Hand,he could not turn down a movie as he grew up very poor,he was financially insecure and i think still is,despite owning many properties,6 restaurants etc,i have seen 115 of his movies so far but his batting average is ok.

Caine disliked very much The Hand,he could not turn down a movie as he grew up very poor,he was financially insecure and i think still is,despite owning many properties,6 restaurants etc,i have seen 115 of his movies so far but his batting average is ok.

Definitely very okay.

Michael Caine is right up there on my list of favorite actors. Even in not-so-good movies, he's pretty good.

I agree on Jaws: The Revenge. Complete garbage.

you wound me, good sir, this time, it's personal.

i've gone on (and on and on) in the past about my odd relationship with JAWS THE REVENGE, a film I have probably seen more times than anyone else alive (and certainly more than anyone sane ever should)

i still say if you watch the DVD with the FRENCH AUDIO option on, it becomes a fascinating, existential, neo-realist kind of WAITING FOR GODOT...but in this version we actually see Godot. And he's a really bad, fake-looking, velour-covered shark puppet (with visible wires and- in some scenes- even a crane operating it.)

look, i don't expect you to understand me. Lord knows I don't even understand myself...

seriously, i'd sit down and watch it right now if i had access to it, and i'm stone cold sober.

• Like 2

Saturday, May 6

Ungawa!  A great Saturday morning flick ...

8:30 a.m.  Tarzan and His Mate (1934).  The very best Weissmuller Tarzan IMO.

• Like 2

Saturday, May 6

Ungawa! A great Saturday morning flick ...

8:30 a.m. Tarzan and His Mate (1934). The very best Weissmuller Tarzan IMO.

Dew! Thar wuz n e k k i d people on TCM this mornin!

(COAL MINERS DAUGHTER ref)

(Yes, Otto stars out "n e k k i d")

(ETA: made this joke before I knew about Loretta Lynn's stroke this morning.)

Sunday night has Louis Malle's great film The Fire Within. Not to be watched if you are feeling depressed, however. Maurice Ronet leaves the clinic where he's been treated for alcoholism and visits his friends, looking for a reason to go on living. Jeanne Moreau has a small part as one of his friends.

• Like 1

5/6

DVR

I'm recording The Bad and the Beautiful.  I've seen this before, but I'd like to see it again.

I'm also recording Champion.  I haven't seen this film before, but I really like sports movies, especially boxing movies.

5/7

MISS

Best Foot Forward.  As much as I love Lucy, I don't love this film.  I've tried watching it multiple times and have found it boring each time.

DVR

I'm recording Yolanda and the Thief.  I've seen this film before and found it a strange film, but not strange in a bad way.  I want to watch it again and see how I feel about it the second time around.

I'm also recording this week's Noir Alley selection, Shield For Murder.

HIT

The Night of the Hunter.  I saw this film for the first time a few months ago.  It was a great movie.  I loved the look of the film and Robert Mitchum's creeper preacher character.  The film had an ominous feeling about it but was fun to watch.  Lillian Gish was also good.  I still maintain that the little girl looks like a baby Bette Davis.

SO-SO

The Children's Hour.  This is a very different role for Audrey Hepburn.  I liked the film, but I feel that its 1936 original, These Three, and even the Lux Radio version, was better. 

Lizzie.  This was an okay film.  I thought it bordered on being kind of ridiculous (in a bad way) and boring at times.  I wish they had gone the more camp route like with Eleanor Parker's Caged.  It felt like they were trying to go for the same over the top feel, but fell short.

• Like 1

Sunday, May 7

2 a.m.  The Fire Within (1963) by Louis Malle is my pick of the day too.

• Like 1

Monday, May 8

6 a.m.  Lucky Night (1939).  With Myrna Loy and Robert Taylor.

• Like 3

Monday, May 8th/9th: all times E.S.T.:

8:00 p.m. "The Far Country" (1955)--Good, not great, Anthony Mann western starring James Stewart.

2:15 a.m. "The Last Sunset" (1961)--Offbeat Western is a mix of spaghetti western, Aldrich violence, and Douglas Sirk-like melodrama.  Worth a watch or recording.

• Like 1

Tuesday, May 9

8 p.m.  Possessed (1931).  With Joan Crawford and Clark Gable is my pick of the day.

• Like 2

Tuesday, May 9th/10th--Margaret O'Brien by day, Gable & Crawford films by night.  All times E.S.T.:

9:30 p.m. "Strange Cargo" (1940)--Strange film; convicts escape Devil's Island.

1:00 a.m. "Dancing Lady" (1933)--Crawford dances with Fred Astaire; add Gable and The Three Stooges to the film, and this one's worth a watch.

• Like 2

Tuesday, May 9th/10th--Margaret O'Brien by day, Gable & Crawford films by night.  All times E.S.T.:

9:30 p.m. "Strange Cargo" (1940)--Strange film; convicts escape Devil's Island.

1:00 a.m. "Dancing Lady" (1933)--Crawford dances with Fred Astaire; add Gable and The Three Stooges to the film, and this one's worth a watch.

I also highly recommend Dancing Lady.     As for the Three Stooges;   while Larry looks like Bogie56's avatar,  he plays a straight role in the film as a piano player (but Moe and Curly mix it up).

Oh, and thanks Bogie56 for mentioning Possessed (1931).   I haven't seen this Crawford \ Gable film and since it isn't the same story as the other Crawford film with the same name,  I'm looking forward to that one.

• Like 3

The Bad and The Beautiful.. Elaine Stewart to Lana Turner: Saw the picture Georgia....thought you were Swell. I love that scene.

• Like 1

The Bad and The Beautiful.. Elaine Stewart to Lana Turner: Saw the picture Georgia....thought you were Swell. I love that scene.

That is a great scene.  And speaking of great, how about Elaine Stewart in that dress?!?

I am looking forward to the Gable-Crawford movies, especially the pre-code ones.

As an avowed CRAWFORD fan, DANCE FOOLS DANCE Is the best film she made with Gable, and his role is relatively small. POSSESSED (31) is also pretty good...I know we were recently discussing whether or not Crawford was a great beauty, I really say that these are the two films where her beauty hit its peak, especially DANCE, she has very thin eyebrows and her face just looks stunning; it's also amazing how much she looks like a young Faye Dunaway in some of the scenes.

Avoid LOVE ON THE RUN like the plague.

• Like 1

STRANGE CARGO (1940) is an intriguing prison colony escape through the jungle melodrama with unexpected religious overtones. Stars Clark Gable and Joan Crawford both give convincingly gritty, hard edged performances, while among the supporting cast members Albert Dekker is quite outstanding.

Ian Hunter's character is the most intriguing in the film, for there are allegorical overtones related to him as a possible Christ-like figure amidst all the ruffians.

Gable appeared in few good films after GWTW but this is most certainly one of them. The last of the Gable-Crawford co-starring efforts, they never appeared in a better film together, in my opinion.

40cargo13apr1.jpg

• Like 1

As an avowed CRAWFORD fan, DANCE FOOLS DANCE Is the best film she made with Gable, and his role is relatively small. POSSESSED (31) is also pretty good...I know we were recently discussing whether or not Crawford was a great beauty, I really say that these are the two films where her beauty hit its peak, especially DANCE, she has very thin eyebrows and her face just looks stunning; it's also amazing how much she looks like a young Faye Dunaway in some of the scenes.

Avoid LOVE ON THE RUN like the plague.

Thank you for being a CRAWFORD fan. It amazes me to think that there are people in the world who think she was a poor actress. Oh, she was a great star but she couldn't act, they intone. Fie!

• Like 1

The Bad & The Beautiful: Kirk Douglas to Lana Turner: "Maybe I like being cheap once in a while. Get out....GET OUT!" I love when Kirk Douglas screams a line for emphasis!