Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

7,433 posts in this topic

Wednesday, May 10/11

4 a.m.  Model Shop (1969) by Jacques Demy.

• Like 1

Wed., May 10th/11th; Gable during the day, models at night.  All times E.S.T.:

1:45 p.m. "They Met In Bombay" (1941)--Gable & Rosalind Russell work well together, and they make this film worth a watch.  With Peter Lorre.

2:00 a.m. "A Life Of Her Own" (1950)--Lesser known Cukor film features one of Lana Turner's better performances--worth a watch or recording.

Thursday, May 11

a whole day of Margaret Rutherford.

9:45 a.m.  Blithe Spirit (1945).  The definitive Margaret Rutherford film.  She is great as Madame Arcati in this Noel Coward screen adaptation.

1 p.m.  Mad About Men (1954) With Glynis Johns and Dora Bryan.  The sequel to Miranda.

2:45 Trouble In Store (1955).  Some may have to suffer through Norman Wisdom in order to catch Rutherford.

this one is not playing in Canada I’m sorry to say …

6:15 p.m.  The Wacky World of Mother Goose (1967).  A rare opportunity to see this animated feature.

all the giant creature films in the evening look promising.

1 a.m.  The Monster That Challenged the World (1957).  With Tim Holt, Audrey Dalton and Hans Conried.

• Like 3

Thursday, May 11th--Creature Features.  All times E.S.T.

8:00 p.m. "Rodan" (1958)--Pterodactyl terrorizes Tokyo. Good silly fun.

9:30 p.m. "The Black Scorpion" (1957)--Excellent Special Effects by Willis O'Brien ("King Kong" (1933)) make this better than average--Maltin underrates movie.

• Like 3

I recommend The Monster That Challenged the World (1a.m.) on Creature Features night.  It's one of the better giant monster movies of the 1950's and stars Tim Holt.  Pretty good special effects - a monster that sort of looks like a giant caterpillar with jaws may not sound very scary but it is!  Good fun.

• Like 3

Friday, May 12th/13th--Doctor and 1967 movies.  All times E.S.T.:

7:30 a.m. "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" (1920)--The granddaddy of horror films.

4:45 a.m. "The Producers" (1967)--Mel Brooks' film is uneven, but some parts are hilarious.

• Like 1

Friday, May 12

as someone else pointed out why spotlight 1967 with films that you show on a regular basis anyway?

2 a.m.  The Dirty Dozen (1967).  This is an above average WWII commando film with a good cast.

I never miss a Mara Corday film!!!

What this film needs is more of Mara and less of Morrow.

• Like 1

I was never the brightest kid in town and I remember once picking up a praying mantis (a white one!). He pinched me with one of his pincers and I dropped him in a hurry. I recall that my finger really stung for a good half hour or so.

I hate to think what this guy might have done.

Thursday, May 11 at 11:15pm The Deadly Mantis

deadly-mantis-1957.jpg

• Like 3

I was never the brightest kid in town and I remember once picking up a praying mantis (a white one!). He pinched me with one of his pincers and I dropped him in a hurry. I recall that my finger really stung for a good half hour or so.

I hate to think what this guy might have done.

Thursday, May 11 at 11:15pm The Deadly Mantis

deadly-mantis-1957.jpg

Don't mess with anything that will eat its own mate!

• Like 1

What this film needs is more of Mara and less of Morrow.

LOL.

4:45 a.m. "The Producers" (1967)--Mel Brooks' film is uneven, but some parts are hilarious.

It's funnier when you look up Mel Brooks' career of script-doctoring books for REAL 50's-60's Broadway flops like "Kelly", and know that most of the humor comes from experience.

When Zero Mostel reads one play--"'Gregor Samsa awoke to find himself changed into a cockroach'...It's too good!", I'm convinced that was an in-joke about Brooks having to work on "Shinbone Alley".

• Like 1

Saturday, May 13/14

2:30 a.m. The World’s Greatest Sinner (1965).  Timothy Carey does everything on this film.  Maybe not the theme song?

• Like 2

Saturday, May 13th/14th.  All times E.S.T.:

2:00 p.m. "The Naked Spur" (1953)--Anthony Mann western is maybe his best film.

4:00 a.m. "Bayou" (1957)--From three separate imdb.com reviews: "Cult Classic Drama"; "PeeeeeeYeeeeewwww!"; "Sets the standard for bad movies".  I'll watch to see which comment is closest to being correct.

• Like 1

Saturday, May 13th/14th.  All times E.S.T.:

4:00 a.m. "Bayou" (1957)--From three separate imdb.com reviews: "Cult Classic Drama"; "PeeeeeeYeeeeewwww!"; "Sets the standard for bad movies".  I'll watch to see which comment is closest to being correct.

I thought this name sounded familiar. I saw it on video many years ago, but it was called Poor White Trash. Fortunately, I can't remember anything else about it.

• Like 2

I thought this name sounded familiar. I saw it on video many years ago, but it was called Poor White Trash. Fortunately, I can't remember anything else about it.

It made a large amount of money ($10 Million+) on the drive-in/grindhouse circuit, and helped kickstart a boom in "rural" appeal movies. Timothy Carey co-stars. I've been wanting to see this for a long time. It's one of the few trash classics that I've missed.

• Like 2

Saturday, May 13/14

2:30 a.m. The World’s Greatest Sinner (1965).  Timothy Carey does everything on this film.  Maybe not the theme song?

Frank Zappa did the music score,one of his very early works,before The Mothers of Invention.

• Like 1

I thought [bAYOU] sounded familiar. I saw it on video many years ago, but it was called Poor White Trash. Fortunately, I can't remember anything else about it.

Not to be confused, of course, with TOR WHITE TRASH, which stars TOR JOHNSON as Griselda, the comely (and gigantic) daughter of immigrant Swedish cotton pickers who seduces the son of the local mill owner (Aldo Ray.)

my copy of THE PSYCHOTRONIC FILM AND VIDEO GUIDE fell apart some time ago, but I still recall POOR WHITE TRASH (aka BAYOU) had a lengthy and pretty detailed entry.

Timothy Carey as an actor is...truly something to behold; Peter Graves is just the worst.

• Like 1

Sunday, May 14/15

two by Kon Ichikawa that I paid a pretty price for on ebay a number of years ago …

2 a.m.  Odd Obsession (1959)

4 a.m.  Conflagration aka Enjo (1958)

• Like 2

Fans of the offbeat and twisted definitely need to see ODD OBSESSION. An old man with a young wife. The old man's daughter and her college student boyfriend. Of course it makes sense for the old man to want to regain his potency by watching his young wife make love with the daughter's boyfriend. What could possibly go wrong?

I've only seen CONFLAGRATION on a wretched VHS copy, which was like not seeing it at all. Fingers crossed that TCM has a better version. Based on Mishima's novel THE TEMPLE OF THE GOLDEN PAVILION.