Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,920 posts in this topic

Thursday, June 18

9:45 p.m.  Mothra.  Part of TCM's cute bug fest.  I saw this at a drive-in with my parents back in the day and thought it was great.

I'm going to record the entire bug fest.  Who doesn't love giant monstrous bugs?

• Like 3

Friday, June 19

9:30 a.m.  Gilda (1946) makes a come back followed by The Big Sleep (1946) and The Killers (1946).  They are certainly being shown quite a bit lately.

• Like 1

They could at least have shown Waterloo Bridge.

Or maybe a film.that features The Kink's "Waterloo Sunset". I know I've heard it in at least one film, but cannot recall which. Probably British film(s).

Saturday, June 20

10 a.m.  Batman: The Doom of the Rising Sun (1943).  Could be fun.

10:30 a.m.  Bomba and the Jungle Girl (1952)  I wonder if she is wearing heels and make-up?

2:15 a.m.  Vigilante (1983)  This is the one for me.  Never seen this Robert Forster, Fred Williamson film.

3:45 a.m.  Mean Streets (1973) recorder alert!

What no Waterloo films tomorrow?  It is the 200th anniversary June 18th.

Maybe we'll have to catch them next time around in 2115.

Here in the states we tend to only honor anniversaries where we beat the British.   How hard is that to understand.  :blink:   

Here in the states we tend to only honor anniversaries where we beat the British.   How hard is that to understand.  :blink:   

I think I'm missing something. The British beat the French right? And we stayed out of it. As a side note Napoleon's memoirs has been officially rated the best ever written so there's no doubt that he was a genius when it comes to retrospect. Too bad he didn't have 40, 40 hindsight and stayed out of Russia. We would have had The Euro 200 years earlier. B)   

• Like 1

It's too bad Kubrick never did get his Napoleon movie made.

I read the Felix Markham book that he was adapting and it was beyond belief.  There was enough for ten movies in the first 30 pages.

I think I'm missing something. The British beat the French right? And we stayed out of it. As a side note Napoleon's memoirs has been officially rated the best ever written so there's no doubt that he was a genius when it comes to retrospect. Too bad he didn't have 40, 40 hindsight and stayed out of Russia. We would have had The Euro 200 years earlier. B)   

Yes, I know the history.  I was cracking wise (since Bogie56 lives in Britain half the year)  but on a more serious note, since the USA wasn't even in the battle,  the vast majority of the folks here in the USA could care less.    i.e. the majority of American only care about historical events that feature Americans. 

The major exception being Cinco de mayo.  Since few here no what this is about we have a party.   

Yes, I know the history.  I was cracking wise (since Bogie56 lives in Britain half the year)  but on a more serious note, since the USA wasn't even in the battle,  the vast majority of the folks here in the USA could care less.    i.e. the majority of American only care about historical events that feature Americans. 

The major exception being Cinco de mayo.  Since few here no what this is about we have a party.   

You know in London there is actually a statue of George Washington in Trafalgar Square.  It is on a plinth on a small piece of lawn outside the National Gallery.

I always thought this was curious.  The Brits honouring a the man who took their colony away from them with a statue.

Funny though ...  the figure of Washington is only 3 foot high.

Yes, I knew you was commenting on the light side. There's a dumming down in The US when it comes to history and science so Americans are a funny lot. There's probably something in the water that Brita can't get out.. :mellow:  

You know in London there is actually a statue of George Washington in Trafalgar Square.  It is on a plinth on a small piece of lawn outside the National Gallery.

I always thought this was curious.  The Brits honouring a the man who took their colony away from them with a statue.

Does it have wooden teeth?    Yea,  I don't think we have any statues of the Japanese emperor in our public spaces.    

• Like 1

Are there any statues of Franklin in London taller than 1 meter?

Does it have wooden teeth?   

Of course, that is a myth about Washington's teeth. What is true, however, is that after he chopped down the cherry tree, he donned a hockey mask and started hacking teenagers to death.

Of course, that is a myth about Washington's teeth. What is true, however, is that after he chopped down the cherry tree, he donned a hockey mask and started hacking teenagers to death.

Was this serial teenage killer also gay?

Just testing AndyM's theory that every thread eventual devolves into a discussion of gay subtext.

the Doc says the bandages may come off tomorrow.  I'm so excited!

Sunday, June 21

10:15 a.m.  Life Begins For Andy Hardy (1941)  Gonna grab this one.

8 p.m.  Steamboat Bill, Jr. (1928) A really good Buster Keaton worth recording.

12:15 a.m.  Sherlock Holmes (1922) I’ve never seen this Barrymore silent.

2:00 a.m.  Red Desert followed by L‘Eclisse.  Two by Michaelangelo Antonioni.  Of the two I prefer L’Eclisse.

• Like 1

I'll add two early Elizabeth Taylor films, both comedies directed by Vincente Minnelli:

2:15 p.m.--Father of the Bride (1950)

4:00 p.m.--Fathers' Little Dividend (1951)

And one evening movie:

10:00 p.m.-- Show Boat (1936)--This is the one where Paul Robeson sings "Old Man River", Helen Morgan sings "Bill", & Irene Dunne shows off a lovely soprano voice (much better than Kathryn Graysons' , IMO).  Well worth seeing.

• Like 1

And one evening movie:

10:00 p.m.-- Show Boat (1936)--This is the one where Paul Robeson sings "Old Man River", Helen Morgan sings "Bill", & Irene Dunne shows off a lovely soprano voice (much better than Kathryn Graysons' , IMO).  Well worth seeing.

That trio of songs in the 1936 Show Boat is amazing -- nothing to equal it! I love Irene Dunne as actress and singer. She also is great singing "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" and "Yesterdays" in Roberta. Here's a lesser known Dunne beauty -- although you probably know it, from The Joy of Living:

• Like 1

Was this serial teenage killer also gay?

Just testing AndyM's theory that every thread eventual devolves into a discussion of gay subtext.

Well, better that, than devolving into a discussion of Hitler.

• Like 1

later tonite 6-20

1:00 am ET
B/W
68 min
TV-PG
horror

When a fire leaves him hideously scarred, an immigrant turns to crime.

DirRobert Florey CastPeter Lorre , Evelyn Keyes , Don Beddoe .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

D: Robert Florey. Peter Lorre, Evelyn Keyes, Don Beddoe, George E. Stone, John Tyrrell.

"Model B film of immigrant Lorre having face disfigured in fire, donning mask, bitterly turning to life of crime. Extremely well done on slim budget."

mask.h4_020820080126.jpg

Nice avatar, bogie. I guess the makeover was successful. Perhaps you should change your name to porcupine.

Nice avatar, bogie. I guess the makeover was successful. Perhaps you should change your name to porcupine.

I was hoping nobody would notice.

Elective surgery gone wrong, I’m afraid.  My lawyers are looking into the matter but meanwhile I’m left tearing my hair out.

I should never have gone to that surgeon.  But with a name like Dr. Laurence Einstein, who would known that he would turn out to be such a quack?

His accent was so thick, I could barely understand him.  He kept nattering on and on and I just kept saying “fine, Larry, fine.”  Well, look at me now.  Is this Fine?!

• Like 3

I was hoping nobody would notice.

Elective surgery gone wrong, I’m afraid.  My lawyers are looking into the matter but meanwhile I’m left tearing my hair out.

I should never have gone to that surgeon.  But with a name like Dr. Laurence Einstein, who would known that he would turn out to be such a quack?

His accent was so think, I could barely understand him.  He kept nattering on and on and I just kept saying “fine, Larry, fine.”  Well, look at me now.  Is this Fine?!

Are you sure your surgeon wasn't Dr. Herman Einstein,  the doctor in Arsenic and Old Lace?

Hey, at least he didn't make you look like Boris Karloff.  

• Like 1

Are you sure your surgeon wasn't Dr. Herman Einstein,  the doctor in Arsenic and Old Lace?

Hey, at least he didn't make you look like Boris Karloff.  

His brother from the 'old' country.

What, no druid movies today?

Happy solstice day, Swithin.

Thanks Bogie. So many possibilities, but I guess Dad won out. They didn't honor Furry Day (May 8) either, so here's a little homage to that venerable day: