Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

5,247 posts in this topic

I rewatched it--I posted about it in the "What Are You Watching Now" thread in the "Favorites" forum after the title showed it wasn't scheduled to be shown (it's on YouTube).  Marvelous noir short film.  Very worth a watch.  If someone missed it, see if it's on TCM On Demand--it's worth seeing.

TCM premiere, maybe?

:unsure:

enjoyed this one too!

the-ultimate-warrior-1975-1.jpg

(bottom right corner)

I'm glad they took the time to specify in the cast listing that WILLIAM SMITH is playing "CARROT," lest anyone show up expecting Sir Laurence Olivier in the role.

Thursday, Oct.19th/20th--All times E.S.T.:

8:00 a.m. "With Byrd at The South Pole" (1930)--Sounds fascinating, and won an Academy Award for its' cinematography.

5:15 p.m. "Adventure Girl" (1934)--Click on the title on the online schedule, then click on "Other Reviews", and read Frank Nugent's review in the New York Times.  Sounds like a camp delight or an unbearable movie.  I'll find out which when I watch.

4:00 a.m. "Performance" (1970)--Donald Cammell (1977's "Demon Seed") and Nicolas Roeg (1974's "Don't Look Now") co-directed this film which people love or hate.  With Mick Jagger, James Fox, and Anita Pallenberg.

• Like 2

Thursday, October 19

8 a.m.  With Byrd at the South Pole (1930).  Serious adventure photography.

• Like 3

What's gross about a hair receiver?

Women could have their own hair crafted into hairpieces that matched exactly. People would make memorial weavings of their, or their family's hair. They are highly collectible and fetch high prices these days.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/victorian-hair-art

I always wondered what a hair receiver was! (since I've seen Mama so many times) I never bothered to look it up!

Friday, October 20

4:15 a.m.  Death Rides a Horse (1967).  Spaghetti western with John Phillip Law and Lee Van Cleef.

• Like 2

Friday, Oct. 20th/21st--Anthony Perkins night.  All times E.S.T.:

8:00 p.m. "Mahogany" (1975)--Perkins and Diana Ross in this romantic melodrama about an international fashion model.  Ross designed her clothes herself, if I remember correctly.

2:30 a.m. "Remember My Name" (1978)--Great jazz score by Alberta Hunter and a fine performance by Geraldine Chaplin make this noirish film worth a watch.

• Like 1

"Winter Kills" (1979) 10:15PM EST Friday - Browsing imdb, the rating is not that high, but if what one reviewer says is true, this is truly a film that another film about "the making of" would be truly fascinating. imdb reviewer wsherett wrote the following in July 2005:

"Condon wrote a magazine article about this movie production around 1980 that makes it ten times as strange as the story itself. Among other details:

The movie was financed with money from cocaine dealers.

When the production went over budget, the executive producer brought in additional "financiers", then was able to keep the crews working for two weeks - in New York - with no pay. Jeff Bridges and Tony Perkins both offered their salaries as collateral.

After the film was finished, the studio was purchased by a bigger studio which then ultimately declined to release it. At one point, at a test preview at Grauman's Chinese Theatre, passers by were being offered $1 to watch the movie.

A few months later, the executive producer was found in a New York hotel room, handcuffed to a bed, with two bullets in his head."

On a lighter note, Saturday morning there is a John Barrymore film that I have never heard of or seen before, "Long Lost Father" (1934) with Donald Cook and Helen Chandler. I doubt it's a TCM premiere, but perhaps somebody can shed some light on when this one was last televised on TCM. I've been noticing that lately TCM has been attempting to beef up weekends with odd premieres and seldom shown films rather than the same old chestnuts.

Saturday, October 21/22

3:45 a.m.  Ben (1972).  The scene where the hero sits down at the piano and spontaneously comes up with the title tune for the rat is a gem.

• Like 4

Saturday, Oct.21st/22nd.  All times E.S.T.:

6:00 p.m. "Trapeze" (1956)--Lancaster, Curtis, and Lollobrigida mix their circus lives and private lives. Good stunt work.

2:00 a.m. "Willard" (1971)--Its' box-office success helped inspire the numerous Creature Features of the 1970's.  Starring Bruce Davison, Elsa Lanchester, and Ernest Borgnine.

On a lighter note, Saturday morning there is a John Barrymore film that I have never heard of or seen before, "Long Lost Father" (1934) with Donald Cook and Helen Chandler. I doubt it's a TCM premiere, but perhaps somebody can shed some light on when this one was last televised on TCM. I've been noticing that lately TCM has been attempting to beef up weekends with odd premieres and seldom shown films rather than the same old chestnuts.

I'm interested in checking out Long Lost Father as well.  MovieCollectorOH's records indicate it was last shown on TCM in November of 2005.

Saturday, Oct.21st/22nd.  All times E.S.T.:

6:00 p.m. "Trapeze" (1956)--Lancaster, Curtis, and Lollobrigida mix their circus lives and private lives. Good stunt work.

Not to be shallow or anything, but Burt, Tony, and Gina all look pretty darn good in their tight circus duds.

• Like 3

Friday, Oct. 20th/21st--Anthony Perkins night.  All times E.S.T.:

2:30 a.m. "Remember My Name" (1978)--Great jazz score by Alberta Hunter and a fine performance by Geraldine Chaplin make this noirish film worth a watch.

I've watched this film twice now, and I still don't get the ending. Can anyone enlighten me?

Sunday, Oct. 22nd/23rd; Hammer horror.  All times E.S.T.

8:00 p.m. "Dracula, Prince of Darkness" (1965)--Not as good as "Horror of Dracula", this is one of the better Hammer Dracula films.

10:00 p.m. "Dracula Has Risen From the Grave" (1969)--The lesser of the two Hammer films, this one is still worth a view.

edited by film lover 293 at 8:03 p.m. Sunday to remove the recommendation for "Kwaidan" 1965: TCM has replaced it with "Diabolique" (1955).

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Lawrence--"Diabolique" (1955) was shown instead. Tuesday, Oct.24th/25: Classic horror: all times E.S.T.: Midnight--"Curse of the Demon" (1957)--Jacques Tourneur directed classic of atmospheric horror. The unseen is more evocative and effective, so the ending packs a punch. 3:30 a.m. "From Beyond the Grave" (1973)--Good British anthology horror film. Will my first post work?

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Monday, October 23

Well here’a plot for you …

1:15 pm.  Ship Ahoy (1942),  A dancer sailing to Puerto Rico hides government messages in her tap routines.

Brilliant!  I bet even Alan Turing would have trouble with this one.

Tuesday, October 24

4:45 p.m.  The Deadly Companions (1961).  Maureen O’Hara is really good in this Sam Peckinpah western.  It may be Chill Wills best film too.

• Like 2

Wednesday, October 25

8 p.m.  Doctor Zhivago (1965).  Rumor has it that some people hate this film.

50 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, October 25

8 p.m.  Doctor Zhivago (1965).  Rumor has it that some people hate this film.

Every movie has a chance to be hated.

Wed., Oct. 25th/26th; Two interesting films buried in the a.m. All times E.S.T.:

3:00 a.m. "Rasputin and the Empress" (1932)--The only time the three Barrymores starred together in one film, and it's a PreCode. All do their share of scenery chewing, although Lionel is champion as Rasputin. A fun watch. Check the trailer for a preview. This was the film MGM was successfully sued over--that's why the trailer is careful to say "characters.

5:30 a.m. "Rasputin, the Mad Monk" (1966)--Hammer horror version of Russian history, with Christopher Lee and Barbara Shelley. Lee is very good as Rasputin.