Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

7,553 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, spence said:

Very good (***1/2) but stagey

Yes.  It's based on a stage play and it's the kind of play that's hard to open up for the big screen.

17 minutes ago, spence said:

Albert Brooks is among the few that can still make me laugh in our era & was an *Academy Award contender for '87's "Broadcast News" (TRIVIA: His brother is Super Dave 0sborne)

Who also caught his even better 1985 "Lost in America?"

I caught "Lost in America" and it is very funny.

On 12/14/2017 at 3:56 PM, scsu1975 said:

Are those Harvey Weinstein's hands on Ann?

Well, you know Monty Wooley would not be interested in The Oomph Girl, since he was more attracted to people like Cole Porter, SCSU!

Monday, December 18

"Baby, I don't care"

out_of_the_past.jpg

2 p.m.  Out of the Past (1947).  Noir seems to fit right in at Christmastime.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, December 18

"Baby, I don't care"

out_of_the_past.jpg

2 p.m.  Out of the Past (1947).  Noir seems to fit right in at Christmastime.

Awesome film. You got Robert Mitchum, you have Kirk Douglas, and you have Jane Greer....and you also have one heck of a movie. Look forward to watching it again.

23 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Well, you know Monty Wooley would not be interested in The Oomph Girl, since he was more attracted to people like Cole Porter, SCSU!

You got that right;   I got you under my skin wasn't written about gals like Ann!   

• Haha 1

Tuesday, December 19

scene-with-david-hemmings-the-best-house

6:15 p.m.  The Best House In London (1969).  Probably not great but it is London and it has David Hemmings.

On 12/14/2017 at 10:06 AM, jamesjazzguitar said:

We watched this the other day and my wife wondered how that blouse with no bra look of Ann Sheridan got passed the censors.

The jokes on us because one of Hollywood's worst kept secrets was that Ann Sheridan was flat chested and wore "falsies"!

26 minutes ago, johnpressman said:

The jokes on us because one of Hollywood's worst kept secrets was that Ann Sheridan was flat chested and wore "falsies"!

Well Ann wasn't that flat chested since what was on display under that silk blouse was all Ann.  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Here's the synopsis from TCM.  Interesting that in 1969 it had an NC-17 rating.  Which would be a PG-13 now?

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/68491/The-Best-House-in-London/

Since the NC-17 rating didn't exist until 1990, it had to have been issued for this movie at a later date. It was issued an "X" on original release in the U.S. From what I can tell researching the matter, it has never been rereleased or resubmitted to the MPAA, so the NC-17 was likely not issued for the movie, but substituted for the original X by whomever wrote the TCMDb entry.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Since the NC-17 rating didn't exist until 1990, it had to have been issued for this movie at a later date. It was issued an "X" on original release in the U.S. From what I can tell researching the matter, it has never been rereleased or resubmitted to the MPAA, so the NC-17 was likely not issued for the movie, but substituted for the original X by whomever wrote the TCMDb entry.

I remember seeing Midnight Cowboy at the Ft Bragg, NC post theater in 1970.  It was the first X rated movie to be shown on military bases.  Now it would barely merit a PG.

Wednesday, December 20

hood-1.jpg

8:15 p.m.  The Story of Robin Hood (1952).  Walt Disney film with Richard Todd.

It's a George Sanders type of day.  Thank you TCM for sharing more of George for those of us who are appreciative of the "George affect" to the films he appears in.  

• Like 2

Thursday, December 21

poster-for-alan-myersons-1973-comedy-ste

7:45 a.m.  Steelyard Blues (1973).  With Jane Fonda and Donald Sutherland.

Friday, December 22

rememberthenight1940_120520120212.jpg

10 p.m.  Remember the Night (1940).  Christmas with Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray.

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, December 22

rememberthenight1940_120520120212.jpg

10 p.m.  Remember the Night (1940).  Christmas with Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray.

Fine Christmas film,  but who could have guessed what these two would cook up a few years later.  ;)  

On 12/17/2017 at 2:16 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

You got that right;   I got you under my skin wasn't written about gals like Ann!   

Yeh but Ann Sheridan was always deep in the heart of me!

87f356f7da46a72d4f830e981dd3e92b--valent

• Like 1

Saturday, December 23

Okay here we go.  Roll one up!

xanadu-1980.jpg

2:15 a.m.  Xanadu (1980)

Unfortunately what was once a brilliant double bill is no longer.

4 a.m.  Roller Boogie (1979) has been replaced by The Unholy Rollers (1972).

9 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, December 23

Okay here we go.  Roll one up!

xanadu-1980.jpg

2:15 a.m.  Xanadu (1980)

Unfortunately what was once a brilliant double bill is no longer.

4 a.m.  Roller Boogie (1979) has been replaced by The Unholy Rollers (1972).

I’m disappointed about the removal of Roller Boogie :( however I haven’t seen The Unholy Rollers, maybe it’ll be just as amazing ? 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I’m disappointed about the removal of Roller Boogie :( however I haven’t seen The Unholy Rollers, maybe it’ll be just as amazing ? 

I haven't seen this one, but it's about Roller Derby. Fredric Milstein of the L.A. Times gave it a positive review, despite writing that the film "reels of sleaziness, sluttishness, squalor, stupidity, violence both pseudo and real" and mentions a "nude-except-for-skates after-practice encounter at mid-oval." Sounds like a winner to me.

AJWz99n.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

It's not as campy or funny, but it has its moments. Claudia Jennings was a drive-in movie star with a bit of a cult following, partly do to her dying young at age 29 in a car crash. She was in Gator BaitThe Man Who Fell to EarthTruck Stop WomenSisters of Death, and a quartet of dangerous driving movies, Moonshine County ExpressThe Great Texas Dynamite ChaseDeathsport, and Fast Company.

unholy-rollers-claudia-jennings-06.jpg?w

gatorbait.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

It's not as campy or funny, but it has its moments. Claudia Jennings was a drive-in movie star with a bit of a cult following, partly do to her dying young at age 29 in a car crash. She was in Gator BaitThe Man Who Fell to EarthTruck Stop WomenSisters of Death, and a quartet of dangerous driving movies, Moonshine County ExpressThe Great Texas Dynamite ChaseDeathsport, and Fast Company.

unholy-rollers-claudia-jennings-06.jpg?w

gatorbait.jpg

Claudia Jennings was also the agent who discovered Johnny Bravo in an episode of The Brady Bunch. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

I haven't seen this one, but it's about Roller Derby. Fredric Milstein of the L.A. Times gave it a positive review, despite writing that the film "reels of sleaziness, sluttishness, squalor, stupidity, violence both pseudo and real"

Despite? :huh:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fedya said:

Despite? :huh:

LOL. Milstein was basically saying you get what you expect, and the film doesn't try to be more than it is. I have to correct a typo - Milstein wrote the film "reeks of ..." not "reels of ..." The letters on my keyboard are fading and so am I.