Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

5,447 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, December 31

There are some good new year’s films today

27043606182_316b2b6d89.jpg

1:15 p.m.  The Time Machine (1960).  With the recently departed Rod Taylor and Alan Young.

This really is an underrated film. Some of the best (and tenderest) scenes are between Taylor and Young. The finale always gets to me.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, December 31

There are some good new year’s films today

27043606182_316b2b6d89.jpg

1:15 p.m.  The Time Machine (1960).  With the recently departed Rod Taylor and Alan Young.

I remember seeing this in one of the downtown L.A. movie palaces when it was first released.

And, I remember during watching that one scene early on in the movie, the one scene where Taylor stops in the year 1966 and a nuclear war breaks out, that this then 8 y/o kid (me) living during the height of the Cold War only had 6 more years to live if this story was true.

(...and 'cause even at the tender age of 8, I knew that whole "Duck and Cover" cartoon starring that turtle was full of crap and wouldn't do diddly in saving my sorry butt if this scenario did indeed turn out to be true)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

(...and 'cause even at the tender age of 8, I knew that whole "Duck and Cover" cartoon starring that turtle was full of crap and wouldn't do diddly in saving my sorry butt if this scenario did indeed turn out to be true)

The whole point of "duck and cover" was so that you would be in the perfect position to kiss your *** goodbye.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Monday, January 1

Happy New Year everyone and all the best in 2018!  2018?  That sounds like a date in a science fiction movie.

Valentines-Day-at-Holiday-Inn.jpg

8:30 a.m.  Holiday Inn (1942).  Not the greatest film but a good way to ring in the new year.  I love how you enter the pokey inn and it grows into an enormous nightclub.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, January 1

Happy New Year everyone and all the best in 2018!  2018?  That sounds like a date in a science fiction movie.

Valentines-Day-at-Holiday-Inn.jpg

8:30 a.m.  Holiday Inn (1942).  Not the greatest film but a good way to ring in the new year.  I love how you enter the pokey inn and it grows into an enormous nightclub.

My favorite part is the Washington's Birthday number.  Bing, who is playing piano, keeps changing the style of music and the tempo on Fred Astaire.  It's fun watching Fred trying to keep up and change up his dancing on the fly.  He moves between a slow dance like the minuet, then he's trying to do some type of Spanish tango or conga, then it's back to the minuet, and then Bing ups the tempo again.

Tuesday, January 2

W.C. Fields night which kicks off with the crazy …

jack-oakie-and-wc-fields-million-dollar-

8 p.m.  Million Dollar Legs (1932).  This is still one of my favourite Jack Oakie films.

• Like 1

Tomorrow, January 2 - although I (sigh) must be back at work after 10 days off - I suggest:

8AM EST Disraeli (1929) - The forgotten George Arliss in his first talking film. He was responsible for bringing Bette Davis to Warner Bros. after Universal dismissed her. He put her in some of his films to promote her. He also helped out a young James Cagney by giving him a small part in "The Millionaire" as an insurance salesman. When Darryl Zanuck recruited Arliss away from Warner Bros. over to Twentieth Century Pictures it was considered a great loss for the studio. A very good early talkie.

9:29AM EST Will Hays introduces Vitaphone (1926) - Why do people who are accustomed to public speaking turn so stiff when speaking in these early talkies? A historically interesting short.

9:45AM Parnell (1937) - I thought Clark Gable was good and believable in his role as Charles Stewart Parnell, Anglo Irish politician and champion of Irish home rule, but this was not what people expected when they went to the movies to see a Clark Gable film. I guess it would have been like seeing Johnny Weismuller on a marquee in the 1930's, buying a ticket, and finding out he is portraying Abraham Lincoln instead of Tarzan or a Tarzan like figure. A case of unexpected casting rather than miscasting.

6:00 PM EST Bridge to the Sun (1961) - I believe this is a true story of a Tennessee girl who marries a Japanese diplomat before WWII, and her difficulties after she decides to stay in Japan while the war is on.  If I were a guest programmer on TCM this would be one of my choices.

Then, of course, there is the delightful evening of W.C. Fields films tomorrow night.

• Like 1

Wednesday, January 3

zsa-zsa-gabor-queen-outer-space-1958.jpg

3 p.m.  Queen of Outer Space (1958).  “Ve come in peace.”  And ripe for a remake with Melania Trump.  You heard it here first!

db78f78063ccb1356855e17bd56d812c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, January 3

3 p.m.  Queen of Outer Space (1958).  “Ve come in peace.”  And ripe for a remake with Melania Trump.  You heard it here first!

db78f78063ccb1356855e17bd56d812c.jpg

Here's a shot of her co-star

main-qimg-7583d572bdd413887d987379837913

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Thursday, January 4

Liliom+Charles+Boyer+(10).jpg

12:30 a.m.  Liliom (1934).  Fans of Carousel may wish to check out this original.    I found it hard to get over the fact that the hero is a wife-beater and not nearly as funny as Martin Mull.  

280px-Modern_Screen_1937_Conquest.jpg

2:45 a.m.  Conquest (1937).  I’m not sure if this is on very often.  Boyer and Garbo!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

280px-Modern_Screen_1937_Conquest.jpg

2:45 a.m.  Conquest (1937).  I’m not sure if this is on very often.  Boyer and Garbo!

Boyer is a great Napoleon.

• Like 2

1/4

In This Our Life.  I really enjoy this John Huston-directed "woman's picture."  It features Bette Davis and Olivia de Havilland as sisters who are involved in a four-sided love triangle. de Havilland is married to Dennis Morgan and Davis is engaged to George Brent.  In true "soaper" fashion, the night before the wedding, Davis runs off with Morgan. de Havilland spends time comforting the depressed Brent, and eventually they fall in love and marry.  Davis and Morgan's marriage is faltering and eventually Davis comes back trying to win Brent back. Eventually, a drunk Davis is involved in a fatal hit and run accident.  Davis' life continues to unravel throughout the conclusion of the film with de Havilland and Brent left to try and pick up the pieces.

This film may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I love the overwrought "women's weepie" pictures that were so prominent during the studio era.

---

Fifth Avenue Girl.  This is a silly RKO comedy featuring Ginger Rogers as a beautiful, but broke and unemployed, woman who meets a depressed millionaire, Walter Connolly, on a park bench in Central Park.  Connolly's family has forgotten his birthday.  This however is the least of his issues, as his family consistently ignores Connolly, except for when they need money.  After meeting the upbeat and charming Rogers, Connolly invites her out for a night on the town in a swanky nightclub.  They drink, eat, and dance the night away.  The next morning, Connolly awakes to discover that he had invited Rogers to spend the night in the guest room of his mansion.  His family sees Rogers and is horrified.  Connolly, noticing his family's reaction, decides to concoct a story that Rogers is his mistress.

It's not an award contender by any means, nor does everything have to be, but it is a fun comedy.  It is the perfect way to spend an hour and a half on a rainy afternoon.

---

I'm recording:

Smash Up! The Story of a Woman.  I watched part of this film when it aired a year or two ago, but fell asleep during it.  I had it on my DVR to finish, but lost it.  I'd like to see the end of the film.

Love Affair.  Now I will be able to contribute to the Love Affair versus An Affair to Remember discussion. 

Friday, January 5

Survival films in the evening and they are all worth seeing.

the-naked-prey.jpg

8 p.m.  The Naked Prey (1966).  Cornel Wilde directs and runs across Africa.   I recall seeing this about three times when I was a kid.

• Like 1

Tomorrow, January 5, I have a few to record. The day time spotlight on director Edward Sutherland has some B-movies that I've never seen that I'll give a shot:

Nine Lives Are Not Enough (1941) - There's murder afoot, and reporter Ronnie Reagan is on the case!

Steel Against the Sky (1941) - Love and lust among high-rise steel workers Lloyd Nolan and James Craig, both drooling over Alexis Smith.

Army Surgeon (1942) - Jane Wyatt stars as a doctor who can't get no respect cuz she's a broad, so she pretends to be a nurse to serve on the frontlines of the war. Sounds like a real slice-o-the-times. 

Secret Command (1944) - Pat O'Brien as an undercover cop, with Chester Morris, Carole Landis, and Wally Ford.

The primetime theme of survival movies also features one I'm recording:

Run for the Sun (1956) - The description calls this a remake of The Most Dangerous Game, with Richard Widmark and Jane Greer as the prey, and Trevor Howard as the hunter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, January 5

Survival films in the evening and they are all worth seeing.

the-naked-prey.jpg

8 p.m.  The Naked Prey (1966).  Cornel Wilde directs and runs across Africa.   I recall seeing this about three times when I was a kid.

I'm not the biggest fan of (the usually dull) Cornel Wilde but, with this film, I'll make an exception. Not only did he direct himself and the rest of the cast (giving a highly credible performance in the process), but he got himself into great shape, too. Yeah, he was an athletic guy but he was also 52 when he made this film. 52!!!

Not a lot of Mars bars and chocolate shakes in this man's diet in the months prior to shooting this one. You just know this film must have been a challenge to make when it was shot on location in Southern Rhodesia. Wiki says Wilde got ill during the filming but he pressed on.

A very impressive effort in Cornel Wilder's film resume.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TomJH said:

I'm not the biggest fan of (the usually dull) Cornel Wilde but, with this film, I'll make an exception. Not only did he direct himself and the rest of the cast (giving a highly credible performance in the process), but he got himself into great shape, too. Yeah, he was an athletic guy but he was also 52 when he made this film. 52!!!

Not a lot of Mars bars and chocolate shakes in this man's diet in the months prior to shooting this one. You just know this film must have been a challenge to make when it was shot on location in Southern Rhodesia. Wiki says Wilde got ill during the filming but he pressed on.

A very impressive effort in Cornel Wilder's film resume.

Wilde did have a rough go over there. He was bitten by a lizard, and needed 18 stitches. Then he was bitten by ticks and ended up with a 104 degree fever. Then, while riding on the tailgate of a jeep, the driver backed into a thorn bush. "Those thorns were five inches long," Wilde said. "I yelled at the white hunter who was driving the jeep and when he saw my predicament he almost died laughing."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven't seen The Naked Prey yet, but I should give it a look. The paintings shown during the opening credits are by an African artist named Andrew Motjuoadi, a 29-year old whom Wilde commissioned to create 44 oil paintings for the film. Wilde had seen some of his work in an exhibit in Pretoria, and was impressed. Motjuoadi became the first native African artist to have his work used in the titles for a feature film.

Ken Gampu, who plays an old tribesman, was a former schoolteacher and policeman. He was known as the "Gregory Peck of Africa," although I'm not sure why.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
On 1/3/2018 at 4:31 AM, Bogie56 said:

Edited by sagebrush
I found the correct place for my post, :)

Saturday, January 6

The Essentials with Keir Dullea.

2001-4.jpg

8 p.m.  2001: A Space Odyssey (1968).  I saw this a few years ago at the TIFF cinema in Toronto when they purchased their own 70mm print and had Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood on hand.  Dullea was very charismatic and had some very good stories so I would recommend tuning in.

10:45 p.m.  David and Lisa (1962).  With Keir Dullea.

2:30 a.m.  Never Too Young to Die (1986).  Spy movie with George Lazenby.

3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, January 6

2:30 a.m.  Never Too Young to Die (1986).  Spy movie with George Lazenby.

I think you're underselling this one. Here's the plot courtesy of the Shop TCM page:

"High school gymnast Lance Stargrove (John Stamos) never understood why his estranged father Drew (George Lazenby) kept his distance. Drew had his reasons--he was a secret agent--and after his murder at the hands of the hermaphroditic terrorist Velvet von Ragner (Gene Simmons), Lance finds himself recruited by Drew’s gorgeous partner Danja Deering (Vanity) to help derail the criminal mastermind’s plans. Camp classic actioner co-stars Robert Englund, Peter Kwong"

Now doesn't that sound amazing(ly awful)?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I think you're underselling this one. Here's the plot courtesy of the Shop TCM page:

"High school gymnast Lance Stargrove (John Stamos) never understood why his estranged father Drew (George Lazenby) kept his distance. Drew had his reasons--he was a secret agent--and after his murder at the hands of the hermaphroditic terrorist Velvet von Ragner (Gene Simmons), Lance finds himself recruited by Drew’s gorgeous partner Danja Deering (Vanity) to help derail the criminal mastermind’s plans. Camp classic actioner co-stars Robert Englund, Peter Kwong"

Wait Lawrence! You say Vanity is in this thing? Prince's find Vanity? "(Do You Think I'm a) Nasty Girl" Vanity?

THIS Vanity?...

3900d6e724317003285335c21f6da9cd.jpg

Then dude, I don't care if this flick sounds "Amazingly awful" or not! I'm recordin' it!

(...man I thought she was gorgeous back then...although unfortunately I also understand her life was almost a complete wreck)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Wait Lawrence! You say Vanity is in this thing? Prince's find Vanity? "(Do You Think I'm a) Nasty Girl" Vanity?

THIS Vanity?...

3900d6e724317003285335c21f6da9cd.jpg

Then dude, I don't care if this flick sounds "Amazingly awful" or not! I'm recordin' it!

You're shallow.

No, wait, how come I'm recording it, too?

Hubba Hubba.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Why do I read that whole thing and instinctively hear:

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

This film sounds fantastic (lol).  Maybe I'll pair it with Unholy Rollers that I recorded a couple weeks ago. I set it up to record on the DVR as soon as it was showing in the guide. 

• Like 1