Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,632 posts in this topic

Sunday, January 14/15

1.png

2 a.m.  Being Two Isn’t Easy (1962).  Silly film but was the hit of Kon Ichikawa’s career.  Go figure.

MV5BMjA0MDNjMjgtNjVkMS00MjMzLTg4M2ItMWY4

5:30 a.m.  Antoine and Colette (1962).  Short subject Truffaut sequel to The 400 Blows with Jean-Pierre Leaud and Marie-France Pisier.

• Like 3

I hated the book.  Jon Krakauer came across as self-indulgent by including his tedious psychodrama into it, with the main character being not much better.

I also much preferred Anatoly Boukreev's book about the ill-fated Everest climbs that Krakauer wrote about in Into Thin Air.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

It's been mentioned on other threads but Into the Wild is excellent and I highly recommend it.  I cried when I saw it and I cried when I read the book and I'm not much of a crier.  Fine performances, especially by Oscar-nominated Hal Holbrook.

I may also check out Inferno but it'll be for Robert Ryan, not so much Rhonda Fleming (sorry, fellas).  ;)

I saw it yesterday. The cinematography and shots of nature were beautiful but the plot really did nothing for me. Definitely worth a viewing for everyone interested in that sort of thing though.

Monday, January 15

MV5BZjA2NDMzMTgtOGZkNC00YWMyLWEzMGYtMmMz

midnight.  Trouble Man (1972).  Ivan Dixon film with Robert Hooks, Paul Winfield and the ever-underrated Ralph Waite.

• Like 2

Tuesday, January 16/17

Quite a line-up this evening with The Age of Innocence (1993), The Heiress (1949) and The Magnificent Ambersons (1942).

This one looks good too and I’ve never seen it.

ourdailybread1934.85923_100920140206.jpg

4:45 a.m.  Our Daily Bread (1934).  I wonder if its filmmakers were investigated by the House of un-American activities?

• Like 2

On 1/13/2018 at 9:02 AM, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, January 14/15

1.png

2 a.m.  Being Two Isn’t Easy (1962).  Silly film but was the hit of Kon Ichikawa’s career.  Go figure.

MV5BMjA0MDNjMjgtNjVkMS00MjMzLTg4M2ItMWY4

5:30 a.m.  Antoine and Colette (1962).  Short subject Truffaut sequel to The 400 Blows with Jean-Pierre Leaud and Marie-France Pisier.

Being Two isn't Easy was pretty good. The animated bits were a little odd though. :lol:

Wednesday, January 17

8 a.m.  Screen Directors Playhouse: Prima Donna (1956).  Jeanette MacDonald’s penultimate screen performance.  Leo Durocher co-stars.

Thursday, January 18

The Charles Boyer evening has some gems.  This Max Ophuls film is seriously good …

916a8386b5a6ecf41bdff43b9a4e237d.jpg

10 p.m.  The Earrings of Madame De … (1953).  featuring Vittorio de Sica and Danielle Darrieux who celebrated her 100th birthday in 2017 and died not longer after.

une-parisienne-1957-arianecintel-film-wi

12 a.m.  Un Parisienne (1957).  Co-starring Brigitte Bardot.  I haven’t seen the one.

• Like 2

Nitpick: it's "La" Parisienne, unless by using "Un" you were trying to make Bardot male.  :D

On 1/12/2018 at 7:31 PM, ChristineHoard said:

It's been mentioned on other threads but Into the Wild is excellent and I highly recommend it.  I cried when I saw it and I cried when I read the book and I'm not much of a crier.  Fine performances, especially by Oscar-nominated Hal Holbrook.

I may also check out Inferno but it'll be for Robert Ryan, not so much Rhonda Fleming (sorry, fellas).  ;)

I watched it last week when TCM ran it in the early morning hours. I missed it when it came out. WOW. What a movie. And that ending! What a final shot... I hope they show it again, as I was sleepy and nodding off at times. Need to read the book too. What a sad story..........

Thursday, Jan. 18 has an amazing triple feature:

Deep Valley - My favorite Ida Lupino performance. Ida is the shy daughter of a very dysfunctional couple (Fay Bainter and Henry Hull). Their life is completely changed when the county sends convicts to build a road in their remote area. A combination of noir, Romeo & Juliet (Dane Clark, much better than usual, is the Romeo), and The Glass Menagerie. Superb direction by Jean Negulesco.

Cluny Brown - Jennifer Jones didn't get to play comedy often, which is a pity. She and Charles Boyer make a charming couple in this Ernst Lubitsch film about a young woman who shocks all levels of English society by her aptitude for repairing plumbing. This was one of Robert Osborne's favorite films.

The Earrings of Madame de . . . - My favorite Max Ophuls film. Danielle Darrieux, Charles Boyer, and Vittorio De Sica are the three points of the triangle. A pair of earrings keeps changing possession, with a different meaning to each owner. 

A note on two late night films: Confidential Agent isn't as good as the combination of Lauren Bacall and Charles Boyer in a script adapted from Graham Greene would lead you to hope, but it's notable for a fine performance by the teenage Wanda Hendrix and an outrageously over-the-top performance by Katina Paxinou. I've never seen Kept Husbands, but it's another chance to see Dorothy Mackaill, so marvelous in Safe in Hell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Friday, January 19

Some very early Joel McCrea films during the day.  I’ll go with the starter …

kept-husbands-76.jpg?w=800

7:45 a.m.  Kept Husbands (1931)

Friday, January 19: I like Bed of Roses, which is deftly directed by Gregory LaCava. Constance Bennett plays a gal with a checkered past who falls for a nice guy, played by the young and handsome Joel McCrea. Pert Kelton as her wise-cracking friend steals every scene she's in.

Several of us on the boards are fans of the little-known drama Abandon Ship. Tyrone Power, in a serious dramatic role, is the captain who faces some moral dilemmas when his ship goes down.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, kingrat said:

Thursday, Jan. 18 has an amazing triple feature

A note on two late night films: Confidential Agent isn't as good as the combination of Lauren Bacall and Charles Boyer in a script adapted from Graham Greene would lead you to hope, but it's notable for a fine performance by the teenage Wanda Hendrix and an outrageously over-the-top performance by Katina Paxinou.

A memorable, disturbing scene which represents pure evil.

images.jpg?w=450

3522b.jpg

Boyer on the set playing chess with somebody. Bacall looks fascinated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saturday, January 20

nightvisitor2.jpg

2 a.m.  The Night Visitor (1971).  A convicted axe-murderer escapes from an asylum.  With Max von Sydow, Liv Ullmann and Trevor Howard.  Not the cast that comes to mind for this sort of thing but maybe there is more to this film?

• Thanks 1

Saturday, Jan. 20: The Guilt of Janet Ames is an interesting hybrid of noir, women's picture, and returning WWII vet film. I greatly prefer Rosalind Russell's performance in this film to her Oscar-nominated and rather hammy performance in Mourning Becomes Electra. Melvyn Douglas is also excellent as an alcoholic reporter who was in the same unit as Russell's late husband. Bonus #1: If you always wanted to see a catatonic Roz, this is your chance. Bonus #2: Betsy Blair and Nina Foch, sometimes cast as neurotics, play the nice, normal gals for a change.

• Like 3

Sunday, January 21

1b30142baaea1ea9622ec9b7222985a9--film-t

6 p.m.  Titanic (1953).  One of Clifton Webb’s best roles.  Incredibly touching.

• Like 3

Pre-code fans may want to set their DVRs for Safe in Hell on Monday at 6 a.m.  Total precode awesomeness starring Dorothy Mackaill.  If you haven't seen it, watch it, and if you have seen it, watch it again.  :)

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

Pre-code fans may want to set their DVRs for Safe in Hell on Monday at 6 a.m.  Total precode awesomeness starring Dorothy Mackaill.  If you haven't seen it, watch it, and if you have seen it, watch it again.  :)

A picture says a thousand words.   Yea,  must see precode.

Safe_in_Hell_Dorothy_Mackaill.jpg

• Thanks 1

Sunday night: I really must record The Tree of Wooden Clogs. Olmi's Il Posto is really a superb film. Warning: Clogs has a scene which shows the peasants butchering a hog.

• Like 1

Monday, January 22

Anna-Christie-Garbo-Dressler.jpg

9 a.m.  Anna Christie (1930).  With Greta Garbo and Marie Dressler.  I haven’t seen this one in quite some time.

56 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, January 22

9 a.m.  Anna Christie (1930).  With Greta Garbo and Marie Dressler.  I haven’t seen this one in quite some time.

Neither have I ... with good reason.

• Haha 1

Tuesday, January 23/24

I have yet to see these Yasujiro Ozu films …

equinox_flower_poster_ol.jpg?itok=uNJzfX

3 a.m.  Equinox Flower (1958)

15405-early-summer-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg?

5:15 a.m.  Early Summer (1951)

• Like 3

Wednesday, January 24

MV5BMjAyNDUyMTYzNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODEx

11:15 a.m.  The Wildcat (1921).  Ernst Lubitsch silent with Pola Negri.

• Like 3

It looks like there's an Ernst Lubitsch/ Prussia theme on tomorrow with the Merry Widow, Student Prince in Old Heidelberg, the Student Prince and the Wildcat. Lots of good films programmed tomorrow. 

• Like 2