Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

7,549 posts in this topic

Mon., 2-5

(times ET)

6:45 AM

Sorrow and the Pity, The ( 1969)

Part I of the restored French documentary that recreates the Nazi occupation of France.

Dir Marcel Ophuls Cast Emmanuel D'Astier De La Vigerie , Rene Dechambrun , Jacques Duclos .

BW- 246 mins, Letterbox Format

10:52 AM

Hitler Lives ( 1945)

This short propaganda film, produced at the end of WWII, warns that although Adolf Hitler is dead, his ideas live on. Vitaphone Release 1408A.

BW- 17 mins,

• Thanks 3

Tuesday, February 6

9juFtBg.jpg

6 p.m.  Bullitt (1968).  With the King of Cool, Steve McQueen.  And I understand that a special edition of the Mustang is coming out this year to mark the anniversary.

Z (1969)

Synopsis: A political assassination uncovers a hotbed of corruption.
Dir: Costa-Gavras Cast:  Yves Montand , Jean-Louis Trintignant , Jacques Perrin .

• Like 2

Wednesday, February 7

MV5BOGUxYzkyY2YtODYxYy00Zjg5LTlhNjktNmRm

8 p.m.  One Million B.C.  (1940).  Early man vs. dinosaur picture which is good cheesy fun.

• Like 1

tonight at 8:00- AIR FORCE, I've never seen it, but i might give it a looksie for two reasons:

1. it was directed by HOWARD HAWKS

2. it came out in 1943, which is one of my favorite years (some years have a real "feel" to them, 1943 is one of those years)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, February 7

8 p.m.  One Million B.C.  (1940).  Early man vs. dinosaur picture which is good cheesy fun.

How'd she get her hair to curl back in those days???

58 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Maybe she used bones and woolly mammoth spit? 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Who is looking at her hair?

• Haha 1

On 2/6/2018 at 7:11 AM, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, February 7

I was surprised how little talking was in this. It was almost like a silent movie.

Thursday, February 8

snakepit182.jpg

noon.  The Snake Pit (1948).  Olivia de Havilland does a great job with her character's transition into madness.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

I was surprised how little talking was in [ONE MILLION BC]. It was almost like a silent movie.

One of two reasons for this:

1. You didn't have to pay the actors as much

2. Victor Mature and Carole Landis (the leads) were, um, new and perhaps not at the top of their acting game.

I stress however that Victor matured into a very good actor and I've seen Carole in TURNABOUT (1941?) and she's terrific in really challenging part.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, February 8

snakepit182.jpg

noon.  The Snake Pit (1948).  Olivia de Havilland does a great job with her character's transition into madness.

I watched the DVD of THE SNAKE PIT recently, and I agree, Olivia was brilliant in it.

(SPOILER ALERT) The nurse in the 'good ward' had a bit of an attitude towards her though.

I gets the feeling she and Nurse Ratched of ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST would get along just fine if they had ever worked in the same hospital.

Friday, February 9

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwT5VtUOtQVjVkVbAbnhp

6:15 a.m.  Seven Samurai (1954).  Spend the morning with the mother of all samurai films.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/6/2018 at 7:29 PM, scsu1975 said:

Who is looking at her hair?

LOL. I was! :D

On 2/6/2018 at 6:25 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

High humidity?

LOL. NO mirrors back then either..........

26 minutes ago, Hibi said:

LOL. NO mirrors back then either..........

Maybe she looked into a lake or pond for a mirror?

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

Maybe she looked into a lake or pond for a mirror?

But in winter???

On 2/7/2018 at 8:36 AM, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, February 8

snakepit182.jpg

The last few times (I think at least three) that I tried to watch THE SNAKE PIT on TCM (including On Demand) the sound and picture have been out of sync.     

Saturday, February 10

tumblr_inline_ne47ugmi7Y1qb5ju2.jpg

10:15 p.m.  Julius Caesar (1953).  John Gielgud was very complimentary to James Mason in Sheridan Morley’s biography.  He described the feeling of being blown off the screen went he saw the rushes and how it came as a great surprise after not thinking anything special of Mason's performance during the shooting.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, February 10

tumblr_inline_ne47ugmi7Y1qb5ju2.jpg

10:15 p.m.  Julius Caesar (1953).  John Gielgud was very complimentary to James Mason in Sheridan Morley’s biography.  He described the feeling of being blown off the screen went he saw the rushes and how it came as a great surprise after not thinking anything special of Mason's performance during the shooting.

I always thought Mason was the best thing about JULIUS CAESAR, especially considering the magnificent cast he was working alongside with (everyone else I felt was good enough in their roles, even Brando).

• Like 2

I am very excited to see that a short on the world famous aerial act, The Flying Cordonas is playing on Saturday [2/10/18] in the afternoon. Anyone who knows the family's story from Circopedia or other outlets, knows it is one meant to be filmed. The Flying Cordonas were first featured in E.A. Dupont's silent film, "Variete" in 1925 doing all the aerial high wire stunts, and also were in a lost film by Murnau, called "Four Devils" plus "Polly of the Circus" from 1932, while Alfredo doubled for Johnny Weissmuller in the original "Tarzan the Ape Man" from 1932.

Alfredo Cordona was known worldwide for his amazing ability to do the Triple Somersault on the Flying Trapeze [aka Triple Salto Mortal] and the family had performed with the Greatest Show on Earth, which was the combined Ringling and Barnum and Bailey units, plus appearing in their own circus. Tragedy followed the family with accidents, deaths and other sobering moments all through their many years of appearing. Despondent over being replaced as the most famous aerialist since Leotard, in 1937, Alfredo Cordona murdered his wife and put the gun to himself in a suicide, after suffering injuries on the high wire and other incidents that ruined his career. The family act continued with later generations for a while but finally ceased. The short TCM will show is called "Swing High" from 1932 and shows Alfredo, Lalo, Vera Bruce and other members at their high flying bests. Enjoy!

On 2/8/2018 at 9:30 AM, Hibi said:

But in winter???

lol.  I got nothing! 

Saturday offers a spectacular cinematographic trifecta: back to back showings of The Red Shoes (Jack Cardiff), America America (Haskell Wexler), and Moulin Rouge (Oswald Morris). Three great cinematographers at the top of their game. Of course, all three films have much more to offer as well.

Following Julius Caesar comes Barry Lyndon, which also has remarkable cinematography, though I'm not sure I would sit through this snoozefest again, even to poke fun at poor Ryan O'Neal.