[[Template core/front/global/tcmTabBar is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

6,064 posts in this topic

Sunday, February 11

shanghai-express-still2-526x284.jpg

9 a.m.  Shanghai Express (1932).  Josef von Sternberg film with Marlene Dietrich.  Lee Garmes cinematography is another reason to watch.

• Like 3

Monday, February 12

the-informer.jpg?w=620&h=465

6 a.m.  The Informer (1935).  John Ford classic with Oscar winning performance by Victor McLaglen.  It would be great if TCM could show the original 1929 UK production by Arthur Robinson at some point.  It was recently restored by the BFI and released on blu ray.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, February 11

9 a.m.  Shanghai Express (1932).  Josef von Sternberg film with Marlene Dietrich.  Lee Garmes cinematography is another reason to watch.

"It took more than one man to change my name to Eunice Plodnika."

They decided to change the name in the script to Shanghai Lily, afterward. I really don't know why.

• Haha 1

Tuesday 11:00 is Kapo. I haven't seen that one yet but it looks interesting. Immortal Love and Antonia's Line are also premiering on that day. For those interested in the 1001 movies list Antonia's Line is in the Dutch edition.

Kapo_film.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Tuesday 11:00 is Kapo. I haven't seen that one yet but it looks interesting. Immortal Love and Antonia's Line are also premiering on that day. For those interested in the 1001 movies list Antonia's Line is in the Dutch edition.

Kapo_film.jpg

Tuesday, February 13

A great day of foreign language films.  

kapo2.jpg

noon.  Kapo (1959).  Gillio Pontecorvo film about the concentration camps with a young Susan Strasberg and Emmanuelle Riva.  I saw this not long ago and was impressed.

• Like 1

I don't know if it's a hit or miss, but tomorrow I'm recording "Immortal Love" (1961), which is oddly titled once you hear the subject matter. I'd never heard about it until I saw it on the schedule, and apparently it's about a man who is away at war, and a crippled man who wants the soldier's girlfriend and rapes and impregnates her in order to get her. He also lies to her about about the soldier being killed. The descriptions read that the couple (rapist and victim) suffer through three decades of bad marriage and an unhappy brood of children, and that the couple torment each other. I don't know how I'll feel about this until I see it I suppose, but I can't imagine me having any problem with a rapist being emotionally tormented and punished for thirty years by his victim. I can't imagine why the rapist would want to torment the wife though, after all he lied to her and raped her and basically stole her life from her. I guess that is why films from different times and cultures are interesting.

Wednesday, February 14/15

tom_jones_4.jpg

4 a.m.  Tom Jones (1963).  Oscar winning Tony Richardson film with Albert Finney.

19 hours ago, calvinnme said:

I don't know if it's a hit or miss, but tomorrow I'm recording "Immortal Love" (1961), which is oddly titled once you hear the subject matter. I'd never heard about it until I saw it on the schedule, and apparently it's about a man who is away at war, and a crippled man who wants the soldier's girlfriend and rapes and impregnates her in order to get her. He also lies to her about about the soldier being killed. The descriptions read that the couple (rapist and victim) suffer through three decades of bad marriage and an unhappy brood of children, and that the couple torment each other. I don't know how I'll feel about this until I see it I suppose, but I can't imagine me having any problem with a rapist being emotionally tormented and punished for thirty years by his victim. I can't imagine why the rapist would want to torment the wife though, after all he lied to her and raped her and basically stole her life from her. I guess that is why films from different times and cultures are interesting.

I just saw this one. Not really a "tear jerker" for me in the literal sense but yes, I did find it really depressing. :( 

• Thanks 1

Every movie on today is a great one with films by Tati, Kurosawa, Camus, Fellini, Truffaut and so on.

I particularly liked "Babette's Feast" when I first caught it.

Thursday, February 15/16

citizenkanepic.jpg

4 a.m.  Citizen Kane (1941).  Still the greatest film ever made in my view.

Spoiler

u0S8RRq_VV4l.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, February 15/16

citizenkanepic.jpg

4 a.m.  Citizen Kane (1941).  Still the greatest film ever made in my view.

Spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

u0S8RRq_VV4l.jpg

The movie I have never EVER seen....well, here's my chance, though I'll be darned if I am going to stay up and watch it, (probably will record it). 

I like to see it, out of curiosity if nothing else. It's either the greatest movie ever made according to some, or one of the most 'overrated' (gosh I hate to use that word!) films of all time, others argue.

Guess I'll find out.

To Beth or anyone else who hasn't seen Citizen Kane: try to ignore thinking about whether it's a great film. Just watch it as if it's another movie you want to see. I'm pretty sure you'll find some interesting things in it. You can figure out later whether it's one of your favorites.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Beth, yes, by all means watch CITIZEN KANE.  My favorite scene (and one of my favorites in all of filmdom) is the breakfast table scene.

• Thanks 1

On 2/10/2018 at 9:34 AM, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, February 11

The cinematography is simply amazing.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kingrat said:

To Beth or anyone else who hasn't seen Citizen Kane: try to ignore thinking about whether it's a great film. Just watch it as if it's another movie you want to see. I'm pretty sure you'll find some interesting things in it. You can figure out later whether it's one of your favorites.

Turn on Kane for the "Required reading" academic study assignment, stay for bad-boy Orson:

hqdefault.jpg

Welles, young and old throughout the story, manages to be so electric, and Herman Mankewicz's script manages to drip with enough literate ironic sarcasm for that velvet baritone to utter, that on first watch, you don't CARE who directed it or how.

If Millennials think "Old people are telling me I should watch more ancient great pre-1985 movies, so okay, geez, I'll watch Citizen Kane!", you won't find, quote, "two hours of your life wasted", I guar-on-tee.  And yes, see it now before you run into some snottypants making a pop-cultural joke thinking everyone in the world already knows who Rosebud was.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Friday, February 16

mrsmith.3.jpg

8 p.m.  Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939).  Frank Capra and Jimmy Stewart battle corruption in D.C.  Where are these heroes today?

14 hours ago, kingrat said:

Absolutely. If you haven't seen Kane get all that greatest film ever made stuff out of your mind and just watch it if only for its technical achievements. If nothing else, even if the story doesn't grab you, you will probably be impressed by its amazing cinematography. People often fail to realize, too, what a masterpiece it is for its many marvelous matte painting shots. The magic of the movies!

citizenkanepic.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SHANGHAI EXPRESS is available on (my local) TCM ON DEMAND, hope the same is true for the rest of you that have the service.

ps- all those 1930's Paramount movies seem to've been filmed within a dream- mistiness, haze, Vaseline- whatever the reasons or names for it, I love it.

• Like 1

This Saturday at 8:00 pm (Eastern time) they're showing FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS (1943) which- it seems to me- had been left off TCM's playlist until just a couple years ago.

I love 1943 movies, but I was not nuts about this one when I tried to watch it last time it aired.

Thanks, everyone for the great advice for going into watching CITIZEN KANE.

I like to make up my own mind about a certain movie, regardless of the mostly positive or negative feedback on it.

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

This Saturday at 8:00 pm (Eastern time) they're showing FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS (1943) which- it seems to me- had been left off TCM's playlist until just a couple years ago.

I love 1943 movies, but I was not nuts about this one when I tried to watch it last time it aired.

Thanks for the heads up. For some reason, I've never seen this film all the way through. I'll try to watch all of it this time............

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Thanks for the heads up. For some reason, I've never seen this film all the way through. I'll try to watch all of it this time............

(It was slow going as I recall, with KATINA PAXINOU aggressively doing too much acting and GARY COOPER aggressively doing none at all. )

it was, however A SENSATION in 1943. I think the highest grosser of the year.

• Like 2

I seem to remember Hemingway hated it.........

Saturday, February 17

fa469dedba0955e374f01a4370f249be.jpg

3 p.m.  Sayonara (1957).  I haven’t seen this Marlon Brando picture in a long while.  With Oscar winning supporting performances by Miyoshi Umeki and Red Buttons.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I'm with you on this one.  There's just something about those films based on Hemingway novels that makes them a bit of a slog.

• Thanks 1