Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

7,641 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Hibi said:

Too adult? I've seen (BLUE SKY 1994) but dont remember about the "adult" parts........

There’s brief bosoms, Profanities, and a pretty hot love scene between the late Powers Boothe and Jessica Lange.

it’s interesting how a lot of members of the cast “turned out” in the years after the movie was initially filmed- Chris O’Donnell was right on the verge of big time movie stardom, Tommy Lee Jones was getting ready to go through a Renaissance, Annie Ross  had her final film role in a bit part, Carrie Snodgress died sadly not long after,  and Amy Locane who played Langes daughter ended up having a really terrible future in store for her.

It was also the final film directed by Tony Richardson, who won best director for “Tom Jones”. He died of aids before it was officially released.

eta: love this look:

ecd2d026b846a3a817b72fe4fed2ce01.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hibi said:

LOL. [I DESPISE OSCAR MONTH] too! But it's almost over! I've been catching up on my reading pile.......

I am, like, personally offended by how 31 DAYS extends into March 1, 2, and 3.

END!!!!!! JUST END ALREADY!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, February 23

11:15 a.m.  Two Women (1960).  Vittorio de Sica film with Oscar winning performance by Sophia Loren.

And because of weird Oscar rules re: Foreign Language films, it wasn't eligible until 1961, I guess, which is a shame because it took up a spot in a really incredible year for women, a lot of people would've like to've seen NATALIE WOOD win for SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS, there's a valid case for AUDREY in BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S as well, and GERALDINE PAGE and PIPER LAURIE deserved to be there too, although nowadays Piper would've been run as supporting (and p'raps wisely so.)

Honestly, as awesome as SOPHIA is in TWO WOMEN, and as great as Natalie and Audrey are, I kinda can't help but feel like DEBORAH KERR gave the best performance by an actress in a lead that year in THE INNOCENTS.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I am, like, personally offended by how 31 DAYS extends into March 1, 2, and 3.

END!!!!!! JUST END ALREADY!!!!!!!

I know. 28 days is MORE than enough! :(

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

There’s brief bosoms, Profanities, and a pretty hot love scene between the late Powers Boothe and Jessica Lange.

it’s interesting how a lot of members of the cast “turned out” in the years after the movie was initially filmed- Chris O’Donnell was right on the verge of big time movie stardom, Tommy Lee Jones was getting ready to go through a Renaissance, Annie Ross  had her final film role in a bit part, Carrie Snodgress died sadly not long after,  and Amy Locane who played Langes daughter ended up having a really terrible future in store for her.

It was also the final film directed by Tony Richardson, who won best director for “Tom Jones”. He died of aids before it was officially released.

YES. If I recall correctly, I think I saw it for the first time on TCM a few years back (no doubt late at night) It was barely seen when it was released. Possibly the least viewed Best Actress winner film.........

27 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

And because of weird Oscar rules re: Foreign Language films, it wasn't eligible until 1961, I guess, which is a shame because it took up a spot in a really incredible year for women, a lot of people would've like to've seen NATALIE WOOD win for SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS, there's a valid case for AUDREY in BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S as well, and GERALDINE PAGE and PIPER LAURIE deserved to be there too, although nowadays Piper would've been run as supporting (and p'raps wisely so.)

Honestly, as awesome as SOPHIA is in TWO WOMEN, and as great as Natalie and Audrey are, I kinda can't help but feel like DEBORAH KERR gave the best performance by an actress in a lead that year in THE INNOCENTS.

Yeah, Kerr deserved a slot too that year. A very competitive year for that  category........

1 minute ago, Hibi said:

YES. If I recall correctly, I think I saw it for the first time on TCM a few years back (no doubt late at night) It was barely seen when it was released. Possibly the least viewed Best Actress winner film.........

and it revealed a real fissure in the status of women vs. men in HOLLYWOOD, the Best Actor that year was TOM HANKS in a little film you might not have heard of called FORREST GUMP that made seventykajillion dollars.

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

and it revealed a real fissure in the status of women vs. men in HOLLYWOOD, the Best Actor that year was TOM HANKS in a little film you might not have heard of called FORREST GUMP that made seventykajillion dollars.

YEP.

33 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

14 days is more than enough.

True.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hibi said:

True.

an afternoon showing of TOOTSIE would be just enough.

they could even produce a gold-tinted montage promo for it with the sweeping music if that makes them feel better...

Sunday, February 25

Two Hours of Tootsie

in commemoration of the 82nd annual Academy Awards.

All rights reserved blah blah blah.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I agree, I loved Deborah in THE INNOCENTS, such a spooky film and she is so believable as the governess who wants to help her young charges from the demonic forces which may or may not be haunting the place.

First time I watched it I was convinced that the haunting by the spirits were indeed taking place, but now I am not so sure....

Well, at any rate, great movie and great Kerr performance.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I agree, I loved Deborah in THE INNOCENTS, such a spooky film and she is so believable as the governess who wants to help her young charges from the demonic forces which may or may not be haunting the place.

First time I watched it I was convinced that the haunting by the spirits were indeed taking place, but now I am not so sure....

Well, at any rate, great movie and great Kerr performance.

I pretty much love her in anything. Always liked that movie, "The Innocents" and always meant to read "The Turn of the Screw" by James to be a little more informed about how he conceived it. Recently found a copy at the library and reading it really added to my appreciation of the film, though I think the book is better at conveying a completely unbiased view of whether she is sane or not.

Am surprised she didnt get a nomination that year as she's an Oscar favorite, especially over Loren. Not that Loren didnt deserve one, but it's rare for a foreign film performance to get an Oscar nod (not as much now)......

I enjoy Mickey and Judy's impressions of Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt in Babes in Arms (on later today).

Every time I see Goodbye, Mr. Chips on the schedule, I think of the Peter O'Toole "Word of Mouth" piece.

Where. Did. My. Child. Hood. Go?

8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Blue Sky, which I saw within the last year or two, is not a perfect film, but it is an Interesting one, that is for sure. The performances are on the whole, excellent, and Lange has a memorably showy part. It is one of the more overlooked Actress winners, but I am glad I saw it. Its a good solid mainstream drama, and watching it and many other major studio films of that period make me realize that among more modern (1980-onward) film eras, the early 90s were very rewarding years.

Note, the film was originally filmed in 1990. So Jessica Lange won an award for a film made several years before she won. Her competition when it did come out was Susan Sarandon (her future Feud co-star) in The Client, Jodie Foster in Nell, Winona Ryder in Little Women, and Miranda Richardson in Tom and Viv.

Speaking of the 1990s, Dead Man Walking is on tomorrow night late. That is a brilliant, powerful film, and a must-see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IT IS?? Thanks for the heads up! I need to free up some space on the DVR!

• Like 1

On 2/19/2018 at 12:53 PM, kingrat said:

If you're not familiar with Frances Farmer, tonight/tomorrow morning you can see her best performance in Come and Get It. She's especially good as the tough saloon gal in the first half of the film, though she's also fine as the more demure daughter of that woman in the second half.

Caught up with Come and Get It, and Frances Farmer was radiant throughout.  This being 31 Days of Oscar, I was surprised to see the film qualifies because Walter Brennan won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor that year.  Although I respect WB as an actor, this particular performance doesn't seem that special to me, other than the fact that he has a Swedish accent.  From the Academy database, here are the other nominees that year:

Mischa Auer - My Man Godfrey
 Stuart Erwin - Pigskin Parade
 Basil Rathbone - Romeo and Juliet
 Akim Tamiroff - The General Died at Dawn

Saw My Man Godfrey quite a while ago, and must confess I don't recall Mischa Auer's character in the film.  Was someone on this list robbed by the Academy?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

Caught up with Come and Get It, and Frances Farmer was radiant throughout.  This being 31 Days of Oscar, I was surprised to see the film qualifies because Walter Brennan won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor that year.  Although I respect WB as an actor, this particular performance doesn't seem that special to me, other than the fact that he has a Swedish accent.  From the Academy database, here are the other nominees that year:

Mischa Auer - My Man Godfrey
 Stuart Erwin - Pigskin Parade
 Basil Rathbone - Romeo and Juliet
 Akim Tamiroff - The General Died at Dawn

Saw My Man Godfrey quite a while ago, and must confess I don't recall Mischa Auer's character in the film.  Was someone on this list robbed by the Academy?

Although I'm a big Basil Rathbone fan, I think the winner that year should have been Mischa Auer. I just rewatched My Man Godfrey a few weeks ago, and Auer was very funny as the hanger-on being sponsored by Alice Brady's matriarch. 

1936 was the first year for the supporting category, and most Oscar historians agree that the reason Brennan won (and would win two more times in the next 4 years), is due to the overwhelming support of the film extras union voting for him, as they viewed him as one of their own who had "made good", and become successful. I like Brennan in most movies, and agree that he should have won for The Westerner, but his earlier two wins, for this and for 1938's Kentucky, are kind of dubious.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Friday: I haven't seen Dead Man Walking. Is that a zombie movie? Kidding, only kidding! Johnny Belinda has solid performances and strong direction and cinematography.

Saturday: Bad Day at Black Rock has one of Spencer Tracy's best performances (I am not always one of his biggest fans), and the story, direction, and supporting cast aren't too shabby, either.

Saturday, February 24/25

there-will-be-blood-2007_med.jpeg

12:15 a.m.  There Will be Blood (2007).  With Daniel Day-Lewis and Paul Dano.

• Like 1

Sure there are a lot of great movies "yesterday/today/tomorrow" but none are out of the ordinary, they are oft-broadcast chestnuts. They seem to really zig-zag between intense drama, camp & comedy like THE GOODBYE GIRL followed by CAGED then SOME CAME RUNNING. No flow.

When there used to be human Disc Jockeys, they used the term "Number 2 Song" for long rambling songs they could play to take a bathroom break. (you know what I mean) Elton John's Funeral For A Friend is an example of a "s--t song".

Maybe Feb is the month when everyone goes on vacation at TCM. They just piece the month together using common titles so it can run on autopilot and they can have some time off.