Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

7,654 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Sure there are a lot of great movies "yesterday/today/tomorrow" but none are out of the ordinary, they are oft-broadcast chestnuts. They seem to really zig-zag between intense drama, camp & comedy like THE GOODBYE GIRL followed by CAGED then SOME CAME RUNNING. No flow.

When there used to be human Disc Jockeys, they used the term "Number 2 Song" for long rambling songs they could play to take a bathroom break. (you know what I mean) Elton John's Funeral For A Friend is an example of a "s--t song".

Maybe Feb is the month when everyone goes on vacation at TCM. They just piece the month together using common titles so it can run on autopilot and they can have some time off.

Yep, I am counting the hours, minutes and seconds until "31 Days of Oscar" month bids us a fond farewell.  Clearly TCM has some "arrangement" with the Academy and until it ends "31 Days" will continue to bore us all.  I think, even a few years ago, they still used to try to take the same films and attempt to program them in a way which was at least slightly more interesting but, not anymore.  Last year they programmed the films alphabetically (Wow, how did you come up with THAT unique idea?) and this year they are programming by category. Excuse me while I hit the mute button.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Although I'm a big Basil Rathbone fan, I think the winner that year should have been Mischa Auer. I just rewatched My Man Godfrey a few weeks ago, and Auer was very funny as the hanger-on being sponsored by Alice Brady's matriarch. 

1936 was the first year for the supporting category, and most Oscar historians agree that the reason Brennan won (and would win two more times in the next 4 years), is due to the overwhelming support of the film extras union voting for him, as they viewed him as one of their own who had "made good", and become successful. I like Brennan in most movies, and agree that he should have won for The Westerner, but his earlier two wins, for this and for 1938's Kentucky, are kind of dubious.

really, really, reaaaally agree about Brennan. He is great in THE WESTERNER (he always seems a lot more believable in bad guy roles, he was apparently an appalling racist in real life, so he's a natural fit for parts where he plays ignorant bigots who act folksy but are really sinister at heart.)

i love MY MAN GODFREY, but I wonder if Mischa Auer would've been a "wise investment" as an Oscar winner, his film career was ultimately uneven. I've never seen PIGSKIN PARADE, but I read Stuart Erwin's nomination was kind of a freak thing since he is actually the lead in the movie (this was the first year for supporting noms, and maybe some people were unsure about what the term meant.)

Basil Rathbone and Annette Bening have the distinction of being (maybe?) the only two actors who lost the Oscar twice to the same performer. (Rathbone to Brennan in 36 and 38; Bening to Hillary Swank in 2000 and 200?)

• Haha 1

in re: DEBORAH KERR not getting a nomination for THE INNOCENTS

It was a British film that I don't think did really well in America and it was BAAAAAAAAAAADLY marketed as a cheap horror movie. I've posted the trailer for the movie here before, it's one of the worst trailers for a film that I can recall. Just misses the boat ENTIRELY.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lydecker said:

Yep, I am counting the hours, minutes and seconds until "31 Days of Oscar" month bids us a fond farewell.  Clearly TCM has some "arrangement" with the Academy and until it ends "31 Days" will continue to bore us all.  I think, even a few years ago, they still used to try to take the same films and attempt to program them in a way which was at least slightly more interesting but, not anymore.  Last year they programmed the films alphabetically (Wow, how did you come up with THAT unique idea?) and this year they are programming by category. Excuse me while I hit the mute button.

I'VE USED this analogy before, but here's one more time-

31 DAYS every year is like having a mean grandma who demands you all come over to HER HOUSE on Thanksgiving- even though she lives 8 hours away from everyone- because IT'S TRADITION. Just dry turkey- no ham- THAT'S NOT TRADITION. Giblet Gravy ONLY: IT'S TRADITION. And GERMAN potato salad with the skin on because- well, you know. And three ribbon Jello salad which she makes WITH SHREDDED CABBAGE IN THE GREEN LAYER EVEN THOUGH EVERYONE HATES THAT because ITS TRADITION.

(An open bar is also not a tradition and she doesn't get cable.)

and then she dies AND LEAVES IT IN HER GD WILL THAT EVERYONE STILL HAS TO COME EVERY YEAR AND EAT THAT GD CABBAGE SALAD OR YOUR DON'T GET YOUR INHERITANCE.

Tradition to me is a simpler way of saying "an annual way of forcing things they don't like unto otherwise perfectly nice people."

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

in re: DEBORAH KERR not getting a nomination for THE INNOCENTS

It was a British film that I don't think did really well in America and it was BAAAAAAAAAAADLY marketed as a cheap horror movie. I've posted the trailer for the movie here before, it's one of the worst trailers for a film that I can recall. Just misses the boat ENTIRELY.

THAT figures. It was a class vehicle all the way.........(in front and back of the camera and with a literary pedigree)

58 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I'VE USED this analogy before, but here's one more time-

31 DAYS every year is like having a mean grandma who demands you all come over to HER HOUSE on Thanksgiving- even though she lives 8 hours away from everyone- because IT'S TRADITION. Just dry turkey- no ham- THAT'S NOT TRADITION. Giblet Gravy ONLY: IT'S TRADITION. And GERMAN potato salad with the skin on because- well, you know. And three ribbon Jello salad which she makes WITH SHREDDED CABBAGE IN THE GREEN LAYER EVEN THOUGH EVERYONE HATES THAT because ITS TRADITION.

and then she dies AND LEAVES IT IN HER GD WILL THAT EVERYONE STILL HAS TO COME EVERY YEAR AND EAT THAT GD CABBAGE SALAD OR YOUR DON'T GET YOUR INHERITANCE.

Tradition to me is a simpler way of saying "an annual way of forcing things they don't like unto otherwise perfectly nice people."

Lol.  Do you have some pent up rage about Thanksgiving?! 

I love Giblet Gravy.  I have never had cabbage in Jello... hmm... I'm glad that my family doesn't insist on the traditional sickly sweet yams with marshmallows or the green bean casserole monstrosity.  

An open bar is the only way to go through the holiday season.  An eggnog and Kraken spiced rum for breakfast? Don't mind if I do!

24 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

my Grandmother, who was a superb cook in all other respects, insisted on putting shredded raw red cabbage in her Jello even though we all hated it.

ICK!!!

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

No open bar?  No cable?  It's amazing Grandma wasn't killed "Murder On The Orient Express"-style long ago!

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, lydecker said:

No open bar?  No cable?  It's amazing Grandma wasn't killed "Murder On The Orient Express"-style long ago!

apropos of nothing, and SPOILER included, but my favorite part of MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS is during the "everyone gets a stab" scene, and they're all trying to out-act each other, and RACHEL ROBERTS SLAYS IT by snarling "SCHVINE!" (swine) and twisting the knife.

if you make me eat Jello with cabbage in it, I will go that route...

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

if you make me eat Jello with cabbage in it, I will go that route...

If you make me eat Jello PERIOD I will hack you to death with a kitchen knife . . . 

2 great premieres coming up, one tonight...

12:00 AM
C - 122 m

TV-MA

drama

Synopsis: A nun offers spiritual counsel to a death-row in-mate.
DirTim Robbins CastSusan Sarandon , Sean Penn , Robert Prosky .

& a fav of mine late Sat. night....

12:15 AM
C - 158 m

drama

Synopsis: In turn-of-the-century California, a prospector transforms himself into an oil tycoon and drifts into corruption the more successful he becomes.
DirPaul Thomas Anderson CastDaniel Day-Lewis , Mary Elizabeth Barrett , Paul Dano .

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I have never had cabbage in Jello... hmm...

Speedracer, honey chile, if you had grown up in the South you would have had Lawd only knows what served to you in various colors of jello. When someone died, the best people would bring sensible foods like meat, vegetables, or pie to the bereaved family, but too many would take the easy way out and fill your refrigerator with congealed salads of every conceivable variety.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kingrat said:

Speedracer, honey chile, if you had grown up in the South you would have had Lawd only knows what served to you in various colors of jello. When someone died, the best people would bring sensible foods like meat, vegetables, or pie to the bereaved family, but too many would take the easy way out and fill your refrigerator with congealed salads of every conceivable variety.

Lol.  Good thing I was born in raised in the good ole Pacific Northwest! Lol.  I do like carrots in orange jello. 

Sunday, February 25

“The stuff dreams are made of”

o6dt_.jpg

8 a.m.  The Maltese Falcon (1941).  With Humphrey Bogart, Mary Astor, Sydney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kingrat said:

Yup, Hundred percent North Carolinian here, And this is all true. I have a personal weak spot for congealed salad.

For the record, if it was someone *extra special* who died, a real treat was to bring them an entire country ham suspended in a large mold of Jell-O.

• Like 1

Tradition to me is a simpler way of saying "an annual way of forcing things they don't like unto otherwise perfectly nice people.

Mmmm for some reason I want to watch FIDDLER ON THE ROOF.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, February 25

o6dt_.jpg

8 a.m.  The Maltese Falcon (1941).  With Humphrey Bogart, Mary Astor, Sydney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre.

Love, love LOVE this movie. Bogey at his all time coolness, and you have Peter Lorre and the awesome Sydney Greenstreet in it as well.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, February 25

o6dt_.jpg

But whoever did Mary Astor's hair should have been shot.

• Haha 1

Monday, February 26

m1000%20(2).jpg?partner=allmovie_soap

8:15 a.m.  The Magnificent Ambersons (1942).  Despite being taken over by the studio and reshot and recut this still remains a classic by Orson Welles.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, February 26

8:15 a.m.  The Magnificent Ambersons (1942).  Despite being taken over by the studio and reshot and recut this still remains a classic by Orson Welles.

“Hot and cold running water, upstairs and down!”

(Something tells me there was not a lot going on in that town.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, February 26

m1000%20(2).jpg?partner=allmovie_soap

Have you seen the non-studio version?   I.e. the Welles 'director's cut'?  

26 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Have you seen the non-studio version?   I.e. the Welles 'director's cut'?  

It's literally at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean from what I've read.  Some stills and audio exist from the excised material.

Though I live in hope that the work print copy that was shipped to Welles when he was in Rio may turn up in some lab one day.