Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

6,665 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, March 14

6:30 p.m.  Tarzan, the Ape Man (1959).  With UCLA Basketball star Denny Miller.  I don’t know about this one.  Something tells me it ain’t a classic.

From The Lincoln (Nebraska) Journal Star:

h3ZpGKZ.png

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, March 14

6:30 p.m.  Tarzan, the Ape Man (1959).  With UCLA Basketball star Denny Miller.  I don’t know about this one.  Something tells me it ain’t a classic.

A bit of trivia - Miller played basketball on the same team as future Olympic Gold Medalist Rafer Johnson - who himself appeared in two Tarzan movies featuring former pro football player Mike Henry as the loinclothed swinger.

• Thanks 1

Rafer Johnson would play himself as a color commentator in 1970's The Games, loosely based on the 1960 Olympic marathon competition.

In preparation for Thursday: during the day there's the classic pre-code Baby Face, a must if you haven't seen it, and the juicy melodrama In This Our Life. For the evening, there's yet another chance for me to catch up with (or miss) The Sandpiper, and the really not very good X, Y, and Zee, in which you can watch Susannah York go about carefully trying to construct a believable character in this trashy melodrama, whereas Liz just lets fly in that blowsy, shrewish, over-the-top way she has after Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? Liz has the right idea.

The highlight of the day, however, is in Butterfield 8 when Liz utters the priceless line, "Face it, Mama, I was the s-l-u-t of all time."

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Never was a big TARZAN fan, I avoid those films like the plague.

Not even "Tarzan's New York Adventure"??    :blink:

Not even "Tarzan's New York Adventure"??

Hope you mentioned it because it's a good one- we're screening that March 26th with GILDERSLEEVE ON BROADWAY as a "trip to New York City" double feature.

http://syracusecinephile.com/mondayns/
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Never was a big TARZAN fan, I avoid those films like the plague.

the original 1932(?) film and its immediate sequel TARZAN AND HIS MATE with Weissmuller and O'Sullivan are worth checking out (the latter especially for its shocking precode content and (yes) nude scenes).

They're beautifully shot and photographed and the jungle sets are a lot more convincing than many of the other productions.

most of the rest of them i understand if you wanna miss out, but you might be surprised by how solid the first two are as films (I know I was)

• Like 1

William Wellman, though uncredited, directed portions of TARZAN ESCAPES.

He said he had the best time of his life while working on that film, reporting that Johnny Weissmuller used to walk along the set with Cheetah and anytime he spotted someone he didn't like he'd give the chimp a nudge and Cheetah would - SPLAT! - hit that person right in the eye with a ball of spit. Wellman claimed the chimp could hit a dime with the spit.

After finishing this film he went to Mayer and begged him to allow him to direct the next Tarzan film. Mayer was surprised, telling the director he had too much pride to direct another Tarzan. Wellman responded he had no pride and would love to do it. He never got assigned to another Tarzan, though.

Knowing Wellman he would have probably liked to have walked through the set with Cheetah afterward and, if spotting Mayer, SPLAT! - right in the eye.

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Thursday, March 15/16

taylor-burton-shrew.jpg?ssl=1

12:15 a.m.  The Taming of the Shrew (1967).  I always thought this Dick and Liz film was pretty good.  The writing isn’t too bad either.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, March 15/16

taylor-burton-shrew.jpg?ssl=1

12:15 a.m.  The Taming of the Shrew (1967).  I always thought this Dick and Liz film was pretty good.  The writing isn’t too bad either.

Burton is particularly good.

Anyone remember the 1929 Taming of the Shrew, with Fairbanks and Pickford? I love the moment when Fairbanks shows up at their wedding wearing a rubber boot for a hat.

petruchiolongboots-650x521.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, TomJH said:

Burton is particularly good.

Anyone remember the 1929 Taming of the Shrew, with Fairbanks and Pickford? I love the moment when Fairbanks shows up at their wedding wearing a rubber boot for a hat.

petruchiolongboots-650x521.jpg

Yes! I have a copy! Mary Pickford is so tiny that every time they have her doing serious damage to people or furniture, it is behind closed doors, because physically she just can't accomplish it.

All day tomorrow is a good day of "Films starring George Brent that are good not necessarily because of George Brent".   The only one I haven't seen is "Submarine D-1", so I can't comment on its quality. However, it is also a Pat O'Brien film I have not seen yet, so I will likely record it if I cannot get up that early to see it.

Butterfield 8 has Liz playing a prostitute who falls for a married man with the married man she actually fell for and married (Eddie Fisher) in a supporting and non-romantic role.  He really couldn't act could he? The dialogue is ham fisted at times, but Liz is pretty good in an Oscar winning role.

1 hour ago, calvinnme said:

All day tomorrow is a good day of "Films starring George Brent that are good not necessarily because of George Brent".   The only one I haven't seen is "Submarine D-1", so I can't comment on its quality. However, it is also a Pat O'Brien film I have not seen yet, so I will likely record it if I cannot get up that early to see it.

Butterfield 8 has Liz playing a prostitute who falls for a married man with the married man she actually fell for and married (Eddie Fisher) in a supporting and non-romantic role.  He really couldn't act could he? The dialogue is ham fisted at times, but Liz is pretty good in an Oscar winning role.

Yes she was pretty good, but the movie stunk, and the performance itself wasn't, IMO, worthy of the Oscar (a view that Elizabeth herself shared).

I personally think either Shirley MacLaine for THE APARTMENT or Deborah Kerr for THE SUNDOWNERS should have won instead. But Elizabeth had just recovered from a life-threatening illness at the time, and had already walked home empty handed a few times already. It wasn't anything more than a sympathy award.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, calvinnme said:

All day tomorrow is a good day of "Films starring George Brent that are good not necessarily because of George Brent".   The only one I haven't seen is "Submarine D-1", so I can't comment on its quality.

Hmmm ... I wonder if the "D" stands for "derriere."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I personally think either Shirley MacLaine for THE APARTMENT or Deborah Kerr for THE SUNDOWNERS should have won instead.

Jean Simmons wasn't even nominated for Elmer Gantry.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fedya said:

Jean Simmons wasn't even nominated for Elmer Gantry.

You're right, I completely forgot she got snubbed for Elmer Gantry. A real injustice there.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, March 15/16

Also, leave it to Franco Zeffirelli to interpret period Shakespeare correctly:
Every time I hear some feminist or PC theater director whine about "How are we going to re-interpret Kate's 'loyal wife' speech for an enlightened modern audience??", I want to sit them down and show them Liz shooting a knowing partner-in-crime look to Dick before she makes the speech to help him win the wager.  As art, as in life, these two deserve each other.

• Like 2

Friday, March 16/17

the-only-game-in-town-1969-film-with-eli

12:30 a.m.  The Only Game In Town (1970).  George Stevens is back with Liz.  Warren Beatty co-stars.  I haven’t seen this one.

1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, March 16/17

12:30 a.m.  The Only Game In Town (1970).  George Stevens is back with Liz.  Warren Beatty co-stars.  I haven’t seen this one.

I have. I gave it a 5/10, or a C-. Not the finest hour for anyone involved.

Speaking of which, I'll be recording Secret Ceremony (1968), as it's a Robert Mitchum movie that I haven't seen. I'm not expecting much, though.

e7a6ef46c6bd9c0116fd9d6469683d1a--mia-fa

31 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I have. I gave it a 5/10, or a C-. Not the finest hour for anyone involved.

Speaking of which, I'll be recording Secret Ceremony (1968), as it's a Robert Mitchum movie that I haven't seen. I'm not expecting much, though.

e7a6ef46c6bd9c0116fd9d6469683d1a--mia-fa

For lack of a better phrase, this movie blows. I have no idea what the title means. Elizabeth Taylor is a hooker who looks like Mia Farrow's dead mother; Farrow is a nutjob who looks like Taylor's missing daughter. Robert Mitchum is Farrow's stepfather who is doing her. His accent changes back and forth from English to American. Farrow pretends she is pregnant by putting a stuffed animal under her clothes. Mitchum calls Taylor a cow, and describes his ex-wife's breasts as "fantastic opulent mother-of-pearly globes." He describes his escapades with Farrow: "She manipulated my toes so cleverly my hair stood on end."  Taylor lies in bed and says "there were two mice fell in a pail of milk. One of them yelled for help and drowned. The other kept peddling around and around till in the morning he found himself on top of butter."

• Haha 6

Secret Ceremony sounds like a fascinating mess.

2 hours ago, Fedya said:

Secret Ceremony sounds like a fascinating mess.

Only if you enjoy Liz Taylor burping.

NtaYcil.png

• Haha 1

It's a pretty boring mess. I remember seeing it years ago. Once was enough. I remember when they ran it on the network the movie was cut up to avoid any evidence that Liz was a prostitute. She made her living selling wigs! LOL.

• Haha 1

On 3/14/2018 at 7:29 PM, scsu1975 said:

Hmmm ... I wonder if the "D" stands for "derriere."

LOL! I totally forgot it was George's birthday! SHAME ON ME! But I've seen all the films except Grand Dame. But George isnt even listed in the cast, so I assume if you blinked you missed him.

I noticed later that it was a short, so he probably wasnt even in it.