Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

7,552 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, mr6666 said:

so who was VERY disappointed in the washed-out print that was aired?

straining eyes to make out subtitles put me to sleep

:angry::(

I tried to watch this on Filmstruck but gave up after a few minutes. I sent an e-mail to them complaining about the lousy print and got this reply:     Thank you for contacting FilmStruck. My name is Carter and I would be happy to help with your print quality concern as best I can. 

I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed with the quality of Walls of Malaga. Unfortunately, some of the films in our library are on the older side and, for one reason or another, very difficult to find. A cursory search comes up with no way to buy a physical copy of this film, likely for the reason you brought to light. I can assure you that we upload the best possible copy of any film in our library, in an effort to get hard-to-find selections like this one out to a wider audience, but sometimes the scope is more limited than we'd like. I hope that you find plenty of other films in the library that you enjoy, and we keep you as a subscriber for the foreseeable future.

I sort of was expecting they might pull this film from the TCM schedule because it certainly is not up to broadcast standards IMO.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mr6666 said:

so who was VERY disappointed in the washed-out print that was aired?

straining eyes to make out subtitles put me to sleep

:angry::(

Yeah, I could translate quite a bit of what was being said but I definitely noticed the older, faded print. They should have touched it up more.

Wednesday, March 28

MV5BOTEwMDEwMjYyOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTcz

2 p.m.  Holiday Camp (1947).  Jack Warner made a few of these Huggett Family pictures.  You can buy the box set dvd.

51yNu1GwZcL._SY445_.jpg

Thursday, March 29

fa424db21f4ac459e24dbedee3c330e1.jpg

midnight.   The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band (1968).  This sounds a bit gag worthy but it does have Goldie Hawn as the ‘giggly girl.’

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

51yNu1GwZcL._SY445_.jpg

Does Petula Clark sing any songs in the Huggetts films she was in?    Hey, until yesterday I didn't even know she was an actress,  knowing her only for her 60s singing career and of course her major hit Downtown. 

4 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Does Petula Clark sing any songs in the Huggetts films she was in?    Hey, until yesterday I didn't even know she was an actress,  knowing her only for her 60s singing career and of course her major hit Downtown. 

Petula Clark is not in the first Huggett film, Holiday Camp (1947) which TCM is showing.  She is in another two that are featured in that dvd box set and it seems that she has several numbers in both of those.  I purchased the box set but haven't seem them as yet.

• Thanks 1

Petula starred in 20 or so films for Rank from the mid 40s to the mid 50s in Britain........

this sounds kinda cool-

vintage Disney live action?

tonight (Thursday the 29th)

8:00 PM
C - 88 m

TV-G

Closed
Captions
adventure

Synopsis: During Henry VIII¿s rule, Mary Tudor seeks to get out of an arranged marriage by fleeing the country with her one true love.
DirKen Annakin CastGlynis Johns , Richard Todd , James Robertson Justice .

1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

this sounds kinda cool-

vintage Disney live action?

tonight (Thursday the 29th)

Agreed!

I'll add a plug for my pick of the bunch. At 10pm, it's In Search of the Castaways (1962), one of my favorite Hayley Mills films. It's an enjoyable little adventure story that has Mills and her brother globetrotting from one end of the Earth to the other, searching for their father. It also features nice support from Maurice Chevalier, Wilfrid Hyde-White, and George Sanders. It really is a lot of fun, and definitely worth a look!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Friday, March 30

Diana Dors night.

Only in the U.S. ….

38779-yield-to-the-night-0-230-0-345-cro

8 p.m.  Yield to the Night (1956).  This one is directed by J. Lee Thompson who is usually pretty good.  Co-starring Yvonne Mitchell and Michael Craig.

Razorback-Pic-1.jpg

2 a.m.  Razorback (1984).  A down under outback picture.  With Bill Kerr and Chris Haywood.

16 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, March 30

Diana Dors night.

Only in the U.S. ….

38779-yield-to-the-night-0-230-0-345-cro

I would not hang her, but she is responsible for many guys being hung.

7 hours ago, Stevomachino said:

Agreed!

One of a whole string of British epics that post-Treasure Island Disney made in the early 50's, when they couldn't take their money out of postwar UK, and decided to spend it there on British period productions like "The Story of Robin Hood", "Kidnapped" and "Rob Roy".

All standard generic would-be Technicolor Errol Flynn, but with a Walt touch.

I'll add a plug for my pick of the bunch. At 10pm, it's In Search of the Castaways (1962), one of my favorite Hayley Mills films. It's an enjoyable little adventure story that has Mills and her brother globetrotting from one end of the Earth to the other, searching for their father. It also features nice support from Maurice Chevalier, Wilfrid Hyde-White, and George Sanders. It really is a lot of fun, and definitely worth a look!

Disney trying to make 20,000 Leagues happen again with more Jules Verne--And while this one doesn't have giant subs or Kirk Douglas, as noted, it does have a good never-a-dull-moment round-the-world Verne adventure, and Chevalier.

Saturday, March 31

24836-tarzan-finds-a-son--0-230-0-345-cr

10 a.m.  Tarzan Finds a Son! (1939).  The first of the Johnny Sheffield Boy films.  Good for a Saturday morning.

Friday March 30 at 10pm (EST): The Long Haul (1957)

One of those good little films so few have heard of.

A tough little British noir with Victor Mature as an American trucker who gets mixed up with Diana Dors as the mistress of a Teamster-like British gangster in the trucking business. Gritty little drama, with strong work by Mature (one of his best performances), as well as Diana Dors playing a sympathetic character. The film further benefits by a fine musical score (just listen to it under the opening titles). The film's action climax, too, is quite rousing.

This is, I believe, only the second time that TCM has played The Long Haul. I caught it by chance the first time it played a few years ago and was very glad I did. You might want to record it in case you think it a keeper. Who knows how long before it will be on again.

The-Long-Haul-1957-3.jpg

• Like 2

Sunday, April 1

1966%20Bible%20Huston%20Noah.jpg

10 a.m.  The Bible: In the Beginning (1966).  What on earth was John Huston thinking about?  $$$$$ ?  Well, at least there are no rock monsters in this one as in Darren Aronofsky's Noah (2014).  Now that was one ****-up film.

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, April 1

1966%20Bible%20Huston%20Noah.jpg

10 a.m.  The Bible: In the Beginning (1966).  What on earth was John Huston thinking about?  $$$$$ ?  Well, at least there are no rock monsters in this one as in Darren Aronofsky's Noah (2014).  Now that was one ****-up film.

I'd like to see Eddie Mueller give this one a Noir Alley send-up since it is on in his time slot. "A man with a predeliction for ribs falls for the wrong dame who gets him kicked out of paradise. His son Cain kills his other son Abel, yet gets 3rd billing over Abel's 12th billing. Generations later the family curse persists and his descendant is determined to build a giant boat made out of wood and let termites live on it. Two of them to be exact."

• Haha 4

Monday, April 2/3

MV5BZjM3MDBjZDgtNmU0OS00ZTVmLWJiNWYtODVi

5:15 a.m.  Miss Grant Takes Richmond (1949).  With Lucille Ball and William Holden.  Worth a shot.

• Like 1

Monday daytime brings us a bunch of less than stellar Jane Fonda films, mostly before she emerged as, first, a political figure, and second, a capable dramatic actress. Sunday in New York with the handsome Rod Taylor is worth watching if you like the romantic comedies of that period. The Chapman Report is ghastly, but if you like campy bad movies, you might give it a try. Claire Bloom somehow gives a serious dramatic performance in this mess. I am unfamiliar with 1973's Steelyard Blues and might check that one out.

The evening has William Holden and many other stars in Executive Suite, a solid drama about the machinations for control after the unexpected death of the company's president.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, kingrat said:

Monday daytime brings us a bunch of less than stellar Jane Fonda films, mostly before she emerged as, first, a political figure, and second, a capable dramatic actress. Sunday in New York with the handsome Rod Taylor is worth watching if you like the romantic comedies of that period. The Chapman Report is ghastly, but if you like campy bad movies, you might give it a try. Claire Bloom somehow gives a serious dramatic performance in this mess. I am unfamiliar with 1973's Steelyard Blues and might check that one out.

The evening has William Holden and many other stars in Executive Suite, a solid drama about the machinations for control after the unexpected death of the company's president.

I decided to record several of those Jane Fonda movies for later viewing: The Chapman ReportSunday in New YorkPeriod of Adjustment and In the Cool of the Day. I'm not expecting much, but I haven't seen any of them before, and I'm trying to see all of Jane's movies.

I'm also recording Dear Ruth at 1:45 AM. It's the only William Holden movie I haven't seen during this first night of his spotlight.

3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, April 2/3

MV5BZjM3MDBjZDgtNmU0OS00ZTVmLWJiNWYtODVi

5:15 a.m.  Miss Grant Takes Richmond (1949).  With Lucille Ball and William Holden.  Worth a shot.

I love this movie! It’s one of my favorite Lucille Ball movies. The scene at the construction of the housing development is hilarious. James Gleason is excellent as one of Holden’s cronies. 

3 hours ago, kingrat said:

"Sunday in New York" is definitely worth it for seeing the transition in sexual mores of the period. A fellow is fine with sleeping with every girl in New York, but "not with my sister you don't!" when she (Jane Fonda) becomes sexually curious. Somehow these 60 romantic comedies seem more dated to me in some ways than the precodes of the early 30s.

• Like 1

Tuesday, April 3

8 p.m. and 11:30 p.m.  Live From the TCM Classic Film Festival: Michael Douglas (2018).  They both can’t be live, can they?  Reminds me of an argument as to whether a televised tennis match was live or taped.  One fellow says it has to be live because look how surprised they are.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1