Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

6,857 posts in this topic

Looking ahead to Sunday daytime: Greer Garson shows that she can play comedy in Julia Misbehaves.

A Taste of Honey was unusual for its time in dealing with interracial romance and homosexuality, but the main reason to see the film is the performance by Rita Tushingham in the central role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the heads up on Honey. I've never seen the whole film for some reason. I'll record it. Isnt shown very often.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been awhile since I've seen Repulsion and it's on late tonight - the second half of the Underground movies.  I might check out The Brood again.  I hope it's the uncensored version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

It's been awhile since I've seen Repulsion and it's on late tonight - the second half of the Underground movies.  I might check out The Brood again.  I hope it's the uncensored version.

I was a bit surprised to see REPULSION in an Underground time slot. I usually associate Underground with kind of, well, not so great films. Maybe that's just my taste, though.

The film I think provides some really good insight as to how severally mentally disturbed people may view the world, and may be a motive in the heinous crimes some of them commit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday, April 15

bitterer-honig-a-taste-of-honey-gb-1961-

4 p.m.  A Taste of Honey (1961).  Great performances all round.  I especially liked Dora Bryan who plays Rita Tushingham’s mother.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, April 15

bitterer-honig-a-taste-of-honey-gb-1961-

4 p.m.  A Taste of Honey (1961).  Great performances all round.  I especially liked Dora Bryan who plays Rita Tushingham’s mother.

 

Wonder what our fashionistas will make of these outfits?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tonight there are two really good ones. At midnight is Von Stroheim's Greed (or at least what's left of the heavily edited final cut)

MV5BMTc4OTEwMTg2NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODY1

Followed by the Soviet sci-fi classic Solaris.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was probably a good 2-hour version of Greed to be made, but Stroheim didn't let MGM do that.

I just hope TCM is running the theatrical release and not the four-hour monstrosity they usually show.  TCM's online schedule page and the box guides don't agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Monday, April 16

spooks-run-wild-bela-vs-gang.jpg?w=640

6 a.m.  Spooks Run Wild (1941).  The Bowery Boys and Bela Lugosi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, April 16

spooks-run-wild-bela-vs-gang.jpg?w=640

6 a.m.  Spooks Run Wild (1941).  The Bowery Boys and Bela Lugosi.

Actually it’s the East Side Kids, but close enough. Look for Pat Costello (Lou’s brother) as the bus driver. This one is fun even though the print is terrible.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you certain it's going to be on?  My box guide has the four-hour version of Greed followed by Solaris, with the first picture of Monday morning being whatever's scheduled at 7:30.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Fedya said:

Are you certain it's going to be on?  My box guide has the four-hour version of Greed followed by Solaris, with the first picture of Monday morning being whatever's scheduled at 7:30.

Aye, my guide says the same. Solaris running until 7:30 AM and Big Jack (1949).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For Tuesday evening: By now many movie fans know that Gun Crazy is an essential film noir, so I'll put in a plug for Hell Drivers, a grim, taut thriller starring Stanley Baker and directed by the blacklisted (and very gifted) Cy Endfield, who also directed Try and Get Me, Zulu, and Sands of the Kalahari.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tuesday, April 17

Peggy Cummins Tribute.  The Welsh born actress passed away last December.  TCM - where is the St. David’s Day tribute!

Peggy-Cummins-1.jpg

8 p.m.  Gun Crazy (1950).  Peggy plays an American femme fatale.

Ms. Cummings appeared at the BFI Southbank in January 2016 to introduce a recently re-discovered film in the archive, Welcome Mr. Washington (1944).  Here is the full article ...

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/01/bfi-national-archive-finds-lost-film-welcome-mr-washington-36684/

BFI National Archive Finds Lost Film ‘Welcome Mr. Washington’

BFI National Archive Finds Lost Film 'Welcome Mr. Washington'

 

Elle Leonsis

Jan 14, 2016 11:03 am

welcome-mr-washington.jpg?w=361

 
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tuesday, April 17 Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy Day

Seven of their eight musical operettas will be shown throughout the day. My Mom would be glued to the TV if she was still here. Along with Shirley Temple films, these were some of the few films her parents allowed her to see at the show.

The seven being shown include the teams' three most famous:

6 am (EST) Naughty Marietta

Which includes "Ah Sweet Mystery of Life." (Anyone remember "Meathead" and Gloria parodying this number on All in the Family?)

co-starring Frank Morgan and Elsa Lanchester

IMG_0200.jpg

8 am (EST) Rose Marie (my favourite of the series)

Which includes "Indian Love Call" and has, for my money, probably MacDonald's most engaging screen performance, which includes some delicious moments of humour

co-starring a very young James Stewart and (briefly) David Niven

rosemarie1936_14435_677x381_091920170422

10 am (EST) Maytime (Jeanette's personal favourite)

Which includes "Will You Remember (Sweetheart)?"

co-starring John Barrymore as Jeanette's seriously jealous mentor

14634151_max.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2018 at 1:53 PM, kingrat said:

Wonder what our fashionistas will make of these outfits?

What a sad story. I was hoping for a more hopeful ending with Rita and her gay friend. But it seemed like history would be repeating itself with her mother's return and a bleak future between the two. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kingrat said:

For Tuesday evening: By now many movie fans know that Gun Crazy is an essential film noir, so I'll put in a plug for Hell Drivers, a grim, taut thriller starring Stanley Baker and directed by the blacklisted (and very gifted) Cy Endfield, who also directed Try and Get Me, Zulu, and Sands of the Kalahari.

QUICK QUESTION: Is that one movie or two?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a good one, Lorna. Two movies. Although someone probably should make a movie called Try and Get Me, Zulu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wednesday, April 18

casablanca-+lorre.jpg

8 p.m.  Casablanca (1942).  I saw this again recently with an audience.  It is simply amazing how it all comes together.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, April 18

casablanca-+lorre.jpg

8 p.m.  Casablanca (1942).  I saw this again recently with an audience.  It is simply amazing how it all comes together.

 

Can never get enough of this film. Just sorry that Peter Lorre wasn't in the movie a bit longer. But there's no denying that Bogey and Bergman are top notch in here. 

Love Claude Rains, the corruptible, but lovable police inspector whose loyalty changes with the wind. 

And while Victor Laslow is neither the most exciting nor the most interesting character in the movie, certainly not compared to Rick and Captain Renault (many a time I have heard him described as the 'boring' guy that came between Ilsa and Rick despite the fact Ilsa had married Victor before she ever laid eyes on Rick) Paul Henreid is great in here as well.

And can't forget Sydney Greenstreet in a minor but important role as the visa merchant.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Love Claude Rains, the corruptible, but lovable police inspector whose loyalty changes with the wind. 

I always find it interesting that so many people here have positive feelings toward Captain Renault;

Loveable????   Let's look at the ways: 

The guy forces young married women to have sex with him for permission to leave Casablanca (Rick clearly understood this which is why he let Joy Page's character's husband win at roulette).

He tortures prisoners and when they don't tell him what he wants to know,  has them killed.  (yea, the Peter Lorre character didn't die trying to escape!).

He takes bribes ('winning' at Ricks was a payoff required by Renault to ensure he didn't bust Rick for gambling).

He was willing to give up Victor to the Germans as a favor to them.

But,  yea, Rains makes him charming!   That was how good he was as an actor.   

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thursday, April 19

holdon2.jpg?w=700

6:30 p.m.  Hold On! (1966)  Herman’s Hermits in outer space?  I don’t know …:wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thursday overnight: Not only is On Approval a rare opportunity to see Beatrice Lillie on screen, some of the film techniques anticipate the New Wave. The original director was fired, and Clive Brook stepped in to direct his first and only film, very capably too. This is the kind of artificial comedy people tend to like or dislike strongly. If you like the genre, this is first-rate. It was a big hit at the TCM festival a few years back.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thursday night...

Great Expectations is, if a bit loose at times, one of the screen's best Dickens adaptations, and an early high-water mark for David Lean.

For those who want their literary adaptations with more spice, A Room with a View is back again.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, kingrat said:

Thursday overnight: Not only is On Approval a rare opportunity to see Beatrice Lillie on screen, some of the film techniques anticipate the New Wave. The original director was fired, and Clive Brook stepped in to direct his first and only film, very capably too. This is the kind of artificial comedy people tend to like or dislike strongly. If you like the genre, this is first-rate. It was a big hit at the TCM festival a few years back.

Uh-oh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us