Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

5,956 posts in this topic

On 4/21/2018 at 5:03 PM, HoldenIsHere said:

Thanks for the heads up. If not for your post I would have missed this one. Luckily I saw your post before going to bed the night THE GO-BETWEEN aired and set the DVR. 

I'm a big fan of Julie Christie and have never seen this movie. (I'm not a fan DR ZHIVAGO which features Julie Christie in the role for which perhaps she's most known.)   

Too bad it was pan and scan. Once I saw that I deleted it. The last time it was on it was pan and scan as well!

On 4/21/2018 at 6:00 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

Alan Bates was bi, you know.

I hadnt heard that until after he died.....

Wednesday, April 25

8 pm Young Man With A Horn

Great atmosphere in the jazz club scenes and on location street photography, as Kirk Douglas lip syncs the horn to Harry James' playing. Doris Day sings some great songs, and Juano Hernandez brings conviction to his portrayal of an old time jazz man. A winner.

7irs5k7pcdm77mp.jpg

10 pm The Breaking Point

Hemingway called this dynamic Michael Curtiz adaption of "To Have and Have Not" his favourite film adaption of any of his novels. John Garfield, in his penultimate film role, gives a great performance as a fishing boat skipper, desperate for money to support his family, who resorts to illegal means for income. Strong performances from all members of the supporting cast, including Phyllis Thaxter, Patricia Neal, Juano Hernandez and Wallace Ford. The film's final image, through an overhead camera, remains one of the most poignant to end a film.

A great film, director Michael Curtiz's last masterpiece.

Film_889_BreakingPoint_original.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hibi said:

Too bad it was pan and scan. Once I saw that I deleted it. The last time it was on it was pan and scan as well!

Yes, that was a bit of a bummer.

I did watch the entire movie (THE GO-BETWEEN) in spite of the format issue since I'd never seen it before. I don't think it's ever been released on DVD.

I've never read the book so I don't know how faithful the adaptation was. I think the Julie Christie  character was actually only 18 years old in the book and that her family was middle-class versus wealthy (aristocratic?) as portrayed in the movie.

I found the story of the movie compelling although the flash forwards were probably a bit jarring for some viewers. The scene where the two boys (Leo and Marcus) find the poisonous flower played twice with (I think) slightly different dialogue, which was likely an attempt by screenwriter/adapter Harold Pinter to convey the memories of the adult Leo. I'm not certain when the young Leo performed the "curse."    

Yeah, I watched it once that way, but wasnt going to again. Dont understand why it's never been on DVD. I guess that explains why the pan and scan. :(

Thursday, April 26

b320a819aa84afbcd4646c07232fef9c.jpg

8 p.m.  The Importance of Being Earnest (1952).  With Michael Redgrave.  I saw this back-to-back with the Colin Firth version recently.  Redgrave is master class and Firth just seemed out of his depth.

• Like 1