Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,885 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, April 30

William Holden night.

network-1.jpg?w=750

midnight.  Network (1976).  My big scene was with Peter Finch.  I am the handsome dude in the audience of the Howard Beale show!

You must have been mad as hell when you saw how much you didn't get paid for that gig, Bogie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tuesday, May 1

6:15 am (EST) The 7th Dawn

This film means something to me because of its beautiful musical score by Riz Ortolani. For years it was the introductory theme used for The Late Show on Buffalo's Channel 7. I grew up listening to this theme many a night as I first discovered many old Hollywood flicks.

Aside from that, this tale of the political machinations in post-war Malaya is intriguing, and I think a bit underrated.

With William Holden and Susannah York.

Here are the opening and closing titles. Beautiful cinematography, combined with that gorgeous score, makes it quite a treat. Title design by Maurice Binder.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TomJH said:

You must have been mad as hell when you saw how much you didn't get paid for that gig, Bogie.

They provided lunch!  It was shot at the CFTO studios in Scarborough.  You might recognize the man who introduces the Howard Beale show as one of the old CTV newscasters, Tom Gibney.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1982555/?ref_=tt_rv_t7

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

They provided lunch!  It was shot at the CFTO studios in Scarborough.  You might recognize the man who introduces the Howard Beale show as one of the old CTV newscasters, Tom Gibney.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1982555/?ref_=tt_rv_t7

Well, I certainly hope you got a free Twinkie.

Tuesday, May 1

This looks to be series month.

v1.bTsxMTIxMzU5NTtqOzE3NzY5OzEyMDA7MTUzN

9:30 p.m.  The Kennel Murder Case (1933).  A very good Philo Vance entry with William Powell.

23 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, May 1

This looks to be series month.

v1.bTsxMTIxMzU5NTtqOzE3NzY5OzEyMDA7MTUzN

9:30 p.m.  The Kennel Murder Case (1933).  A very good Philo Vance entry with William Powell.

Only in Canada. In the U.S. it will be six Blondie films Tuesday evening, with Penny Singleton. I'm sorry we lose out again (no knock on the Powell film which is good, but pretty easy to see).

• Thanks 1

Tomorrow, May 1st, TCM has a parade of man-beef during the day and early evening:

Atlas (1961) 11:00 AM ET

MPW-48136

Hercules, Samson & Ulysses (1963) 12:30 PM ET

hercules-samson-ulysses-poster.jpg

The Colossus of Rhodes (1962) 2:00 PM ET

The_Colossus_of_Rhodes.jpg

Clash of the Titans (1981) 4:15 PM ET

l_1296649094-750.jpg

The Slave (1962) 6:15 PM ET

Slave_Steve_Reeves_Wide_Poster.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Tomorrow, May 1st, TCM has a parade of man-beef during the day and early evening:

Atlas (1961) 11:00 AM ET

MPW-48136

Hercules, Samson & Ulysses (1963) 12:30 PM ET

hercules-samson-ulysses-poster.jpg

The Colossus of Rhodes (1962) 2:00 PM ET

The_Colossus_of_Rhodes.jpg

Clash of the Titans (1981) 4:15 PM ET

l_1296649094-750.jpg

The Slave (1962) 6:15 PM ET

Slave_Steve_Reeves_Wide_Poster.jpg

Haven't seen the last one, but the others do provide some fun and chuckles. Atlas features a campy performance by Frank Wolff as Proximates. He slyly refers to one character’s possible bisexuality. In another scene, a soldier appears and says “did you want me?” “No!” Wolff screams sarcastically. “I wanted your Great Aunt Helen from Lesbos!”

• Haha 1

On 4/29/2018 at 1:42 PM, Bogie56 said:

Monday, April 30

midnight.  Network (1976).  My big scene was with Peter Finch.  I am the handsome dude in the audience of the Howard Beale show!

I actually just finished watching that on library Blu-ray last night.  (Continuing my quest of 70's films I can quote every line from but have never actually seen cover to cover.)

I used to say that my own movie-blog posts weren't journalism or op-ed but were "my own Howard Beale rants"--But when we get Howard's third big "The network's being bought by the Arabs!" bomb-drop, I realized...my posts DID sound exactly like his, only without the big Old Testament frills.  I don't know whether to consider Beale a role model or not.  

And yes, I still get sentimental for the 70's days when TV was as omnipotently all-powerful as Paddy Chayevsky thought it was back then...When Faye Dunaway complains "They've stuck us in between Little House on the Prairie and Tony Orlando & Dawn!", I gave a long sigh.  ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wednesday, May 2/3

MV5BYzAwZTFhM2EtYzkzMi00YTg3LTkwNGQtMmUy

5:15 a.m.  Swing Shift Maisie (1943).  Maisie the grease-monkey.  Looks like fun.

Thursday, May 3

89305-the-great-gildersleeve-0-230-0-345

3 p.m.  The Great Gildersleeve (1942).  These films are a complete mystery to me.

• Haha 1

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2015 at 4:53 PM, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, May 16

The only feature that I haven’t seen is the one on at 2:30 a.m., An American Hippie in Israel.  And I guess I still won’t have seen it as we get Gunsmoke at that time in the UK.

It is followed by I Love You, Alice B. Toklas which could provide some good discussion here.

My favourite of the day is The Sundowners.  I think Mitchum is great in this.  And for a guy who doesn’t getting his acting chops due some of the time, here is another role where he has to put on an accent.  Ryan’s Daughter was another.

I cannot recall who it was that had Glynnis Johns on their ‘not fond of’ list, but this film may be something to consider watching if he or she hasn’t already seen it.

I didn’t much care for Tales of Hoffman.  It doesn’t have a parallel story as does Red Shoes and is pretty much just a presentation of a the ballet.  If you like that sort of thing …

I caught Invitation to the Dance last year and thought it was particularly vomit worthy.

And I see Batman is fighting the Japanese yet again.  Are these Japanese spies on the mainland?  The ones that escaped internment?  Is is Batman taking his costume into combat?

Seems to have a few things on offer that the kids might like to watch like Mighty Joe Young.  If they can tolerate b&w. 

I agree about Mitchum all accounts as well!  Look at how great he was in both Night of the Hunter" & "Cape Fear" (l962 version)  Plus, he one & only shot at an *Academy Award for 1945's very strong "Story of G.I. Joe"  which was *"Wild Bill" Wellman's own personal favorite of his flix.

Ever see the mediocre (**) 1998 remake of "Mighty Joe Young?"

6 hours ago, spence said:

On 5/15/2015 at 4:53 PM,  Bogie56 said:

Yeah, I remember when I used to keep hitting on that Index number of the page with Bogie's Tales of Hoffman complaint from three years ago, instead of just finding the right "Last page" >> button when opening the thread.

Hated to keep doing that every single time, but I finally learned which one to click.

I notice that the obscure Audrey Hepburn film We Go to Monte Carlo, to be shown overnight Thursday/early Friday morning, co-stars Philippe Lemaire, the very handsome villain of When You Read This Letter, which was made the same year, 1953.

Saturday Night/ Sunday morning at 12:30 am, THE SWIMMER (1968) with Burt Lancaster and Joan Rivers (kinda) is coming on. it's based on the John Cheever story and I saw it and didn't hate it, but I also did not quite "get" it either. but i remember it impressed a lot of people when it aired for the first time (ever?) in a long time during Lancaster's SOTM a while back.

• Like 1

Friday, May 4

276852_full.jpg

12:30 a.m.  The Swimmer (1968).  I wonder how this one holds up today?

I think The Swimmer holds up pretty well. It's the films that try the hardest to be hip and "with it" that date the fastest. Burt also held up remarkably well. There's a scene in the movie where he appears naked, rear view only. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, kingrat said:

I think The Swimmer holds up pretty well. It's the films that try the hardest to be hip and "with it" that date the fastest. Burt also held up remarkably well. There's a scene in the movie where he appears naked, rear view only. 

I'll have to give this film another chance and view it from the start;   The last time it was on TCM I caught it after around 20 minutes after it started,  watched some and I just couldn't follow what was going on.   Yea, Burt could swim in a pool but the dialog went over my head. 

1 hour ago, kingrat said:

was gettin ready to mention that.

it makes a great double bill, actually, with TWO FOR THE ROAD, from the same year and airing THIS FRIDAY AT 4:00 pm.

They compliment one another in interesting ways (midlife crises, broken marriages, parenthood, challenging editing and storytelling), although TWO FOR THE ROAD is the better film (to me.)

ETA: CORRECTION, TWO FOR THE ROAD was released in 1967.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

was gettin ready to mention that.

it makes a great double bill, actually, with TWO FOR THE ROAD, from the same year and airing THIS FRIDAY AT 4:00 pm.

They compliment one another in interesting ways (midlife crises, broken marriages, parenthood, challenging editing and storytelling), although TWO FOR THE ROAD is the better film (to me.)

ETA: CORRECTION, TWO FOR THE ROAD was released in 1967.

They were probably filmed around the same time. I think The Swimmer sat on the shelf for awhile. And there were reshoots (I think the scene with Janice Rule was added after initial filming ended......)

After checking with imdb, my assumption was correct. Both The Swimmer and Two for the Road were shot in the summer of '66. The Swimmer wasnt released until May of '68. And then more or less dumped by Columbia. To say it was a "troubled" production is putting it mildly. Lancaster and director Frank Perry did not get along. Perry was fired during production and the film was finished by Sydney Pollack (although Perry's name stayed on the credits). The scene with Janice Rule was originally filmed with Barbara Loden and reshot with Rule. Sam Spiegel had his name taken off the credits. Even so, the film does make an impact...

6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Saturday Night/ Sunday morning at 12:30 am, THE SWIMMER (1968) with Burt Lancaster and Joan Rivers (kinda) is coming on. it's based on the John Cheever story and I saw it and didn't hate it, but I also did not quite "get" it either. but i remember it impressed a lot of people when it aired for the first time (ever?) in a long time during Lancaster's SOTM a while back.

Actually its FRIDAY night/Sat. morning. Noir Alley is on Sat. at midnight (The Narrow Margin), so make sure you remember if you want to watch The Swimmer!

When did they remove We Go to Monte Carlo from the schedule?

3 hours ago, Fedya said:

When did they remove We Go to Monte Carlo from the schedule?

Must have been very recent.  I copied the schedule no more than 2 days ago and it was there.  Sorry for anyone who was hoping to see it.