Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,616 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

(Sorry!)

Well, didnt want you or others tuning in to find it wasnt on! Who knows when it will run again........

Saturday, May 5

Flying%20Trapeze%203.JPG

10:00 a.m.  Popeye: Man on the Flying Trapeze (1933).  I’ll go with Popeye again on the Saturday morning.  I was looking on Amazon and an out-of-print box set of these cost a fortune.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, May 5

Flying%20Trapeze%203.JPG

Say, is that George Brent on the trapeze?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Reminder:  The Narrow Margin (1952) with Charles McGraw and Marie Windsor is on Noir Alley, midnight Saturday and 10 AM Sunday.  Not to be confused with the 1990 sort of remake, Narrow Margin with Gene Hackman and Anne Archer, which is also a very good movie but somewhat different.

Sunday, May 6/7

A double bill of Yakuza films from the 60's.

gunstory01-938x535.jpg

2 a.m.  Cruel Gun Story (1964) by Takumi Furukawa.

2959id_1255_002_primary_w1600.jpg

3:45 a.m.  A Colt Is My Passport (1967) by Takeshi Nomura.

• Like 3

Monday, May 7

Robert Donat night.

Goodbye-Mr.-Chips-7-620x400.jpg

8 p.m.  Goodybe, Mr. Chips (1939).  Donat beat out some fierce competition to win the 1939 Oscar.  A great weepie.

• Like 1

The Blue Gardenia, 12:30 PM Monday.  Not to be confused with The Blue Dahlia.  Gardenia is another very good noir movie and features Raymond Burr in one of his many bad guy roles of the period.  He had a lot of them.  Somewhat different from many noir/mystery movies of the period, but well worth watching.  Dahlia is good also.

Cid, I particularly like Ann Sothern as the best friend in The Blue Gardenia.

For Monday evening I'll recommend The Inn of the Sixth Happiness, a film I liked much more than I expected to. It's Robert Donat's last film. Athene Seyler, primarily a stage actress, has a wonderful role as the aging missionary Ingrid Bergman has come to replace. This is also one of my favorite Ingrid Bergman roles. Both Seyler and Bergman are convincingly devout without being sentimental.

• Thanks 1

Please tell me The Winslow Boy hasn't been removed from the schedule and that Goodbye, Mr. Chips is only for Canada.

I didn't care that much for The Inn of the Sixth Happiness, as I mentioned earlier in the thread.

8 minutes ago, Fedya said:

Please tell me The Winslow Boy hasn't been removed from the schedule and that Goodbye, Mr. Chips is only for Canada.

It appears that the US still has The Winslow Boy scheduled for 8:00 PM ET.

Tuesday, May 8

nanook2.jpg

8:30 a.m.  Nanook of the North (1922).  I haven’t seen this one since school.  Time to bone up on my igloo making skills.  Fans should check out Kabloonak (1993) a Canada - France co-production with Charles Dance as Robert Flaherty and Adamie Inupik as his real-life grandfather, Nanook.

MV5BOWRlYTQ0MjMtZmI2MC00M2UwLTlkZjMtMWI4

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, May 8

nanook2.jpg

8:30 a.m.  Nanook of the North (1922).  I haven’t seen this one since school.  Time to bone up on my igloo making skills.  Fans should check out Kabloonak (1993) a Canada - France co-production with Charles Dance as Robert Flaherty and Adamie Inupik as his real-life grandfather, Nanook.

MV5BOWRlYTQ0MjMtZmI2MC00M2UwLTlkZjMtMWI4

The cinematography in this one is great. I love the wide shots of the arctic. Looks very serene.

7806_5.jpg

On 5/6/2018 at 4:04 PM, Fedya said:

I didn't care that much for The Inn of the Sixth Happiness, as I mentioned earlier in the thread.

I don't care for it, either; too long, too slow.

I'm so glad to see a block of Donat films, though. He didn't make that many, but he is great in all of them.

I find his acting much more natural than most of the other British gents that appeared in the golden age of English films. He had a knack for comedy, as well. Its a shame he didn't appear in more of them.

2 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

The cinematography in this one is great. I love the wide shots of the arctic. Looks very serene.

7806_5.jpg

Kabloonak (1993) would make for a great double bill on TCM at some point if they could get it.  Flaherty actually had to shoot Nanook twice after the original nitrate footage was all destroyed in a cutting room fire.  Besides his growing friendship with the people it shows a lot of the behind-the-scenes.  The interior igloo scenes were shot in sunlight with a half-shell igloo; Flaherty developed his own film in the north; and the polar bear hunt is an Inuit version of Jaws!  What a great story.  

• Thanks 1

Wednesday, May 9

d26267ccbc3bc2f561cdf0fbeabd5e06.jpg

10 a.m.  Tarzan’s Magic Fountain (1949).  Brenda Joyce continues as Jane.  Lex Barker takes over as Tarzan.  And Evelyn Ankers co-stars.

• Thanks 1

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say LEX BARKER was the hottest Tarzan. he is stunningly attractive. Like, would have absolutely no problems being a major star today.

10 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say LEX BARKER was the hottest Tarzan. he is stunningly attractive. Like, would have absolutely no problems being a major star today.

I think Barker is the husband of Lana Turner's (or maybe one of Lana's husbands) whom Lana's daughter Cheryl accused of molesting her.  Whether or not this is true, I'm not sure, but if Barker were around today during the "Me Too" movement, his career probably would have been kaput just because of Cheryl's accusation. 

Not about Barker at all, this is more probably related to the Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan films, but how did Tarzan keep his loincloth in place so that he didn't let it all hang out? 

I know I'm treading on dangerous waters here by asking a question that relates not only to beefcakes but also to male nudity, but I've seen the Weissmuller Tarzan films multiple times and that is always the question I come back to--how does Johnny keep his junk under wraps?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I think Barker is the husband of Lana Turner's (or maybe one of Lana's husbands) whom Lana's daughter Cheryl accused of molesting her.  Whether or not this is true, I'm not sure, but if Barker were around today during the "Me Too" movement, his career probably would have been kaput just because of Cheryl's accusation. 

Not about Barker at all, this is more probably related to the Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan films, but how did Tarzan keep his loincloth in place so that he didn't let it all hang out? 

I know I'm treading on dangerous waters here by asking a question that relates not only to beefcakes but also to male nudity, but I've seen the Weissmuller Tarzan films multiple times and that is always the question I come back to--how does Johnny keep his junk under wraps?

re: LEX BARKER

Yes, Cheryl Crane made the claim, which I believe completely. It's also worth noting that Cheryl really pulled her life together in the years after all the LANA DRAMA and I root for her.

Independent of those facts tho:

c2a64d39bbd1b54c0ece61e975ef50d2.jpg

I mean, c'mon...

IN RE WEISMULLER:

It's a really long loincloth

Thursday, May 10

Star of the Month Marlene Dietrich

Blonde_Venus_3.jpg

3:30 a.m.  Blonde Venus (1932).  Hot Voodoo!

• Like 2

Friday, May 11

Lesley-Anne Down evening

5a12abc0996ae76daf8299658980dcd9.jpg

10 p.m.  Hanover Street.  Down with Harrison Ford!