Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,920 posts in this topic

On 5/10/2018 at 7:42 PM, ChristineHoard said:

I'm looking forward to some of the Tod Browning films tomorrow.  Thanks to those who mentioned them in other posts.  I'm particularly interested in three I haven't seen before:  the two John Gilbert ones (Maltin gives one of them a star and a half so it might be great -LOL) and THE THIRTEENTH CHAIR.

I love these early Dietrich movies.  I've seen them all but there's a couple I haven't seen in decades like THE SCARLET EMPRESS that I want to watch again.  She and Sternberg were quite the creative team.

TCM's got some great early film history coming up -  undoubtedly bookcased by Backlot and Wine Club commercials.  ?

It's too bad that Dishonored is once again missing.

• Like 1

Friday, May 18

espionnage-they-met-in-the-dark-karel-la

6 a.m.  They Met in the Dark (1943).  One of the highlights of the month for me.  A rare James Mason.

• Like 1

Bogie, I thought They Met in the Dark was fun in a 39 Steps way.

Tonight I want to record both Angel and Desire, which I haven't seen. However, The Devil Is a Woman is my second favorite Sternberg film, second only to Shanghai Express. It's a variation of the Carmen story, with remarkable direction and cinematography.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saturday, May 19

What a great Saturday lineup.  Only a royal wedding could compete with this.

desiarnazcubanpetestill.jpeg

8 a.m.  Desi Arnaz and His Orchestra (1946).  Babaloo!  Has Speedracer seen this one?

shoeinhosses.jpg?w=549

10 a.m.  Popeye: Shoein’ Hosses (1934).

The+Great+Escape.JPG

noon.  The Great Escape (1963).  They put all the rotten eggs in one basket.

tuco.jpg

3 p.m.  The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1967).

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, May 19

8 a.m.  Desi Arnaz and His Orchestra (1946).  Babaloo!  Has Speedracer seen this one?

Yes.

But I'm recording it anyway so that I can see it again ?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, May 19

shoeinhosses.jpg?w=549

10 a.m.  Popeye: Shoein’ Hosses (1934).

The+Great+Escape.JPG

noon.  The Great Escape (1963).  They put all the rotten eggs in one basket.

tuco.jpg

3 p.m.  The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1967).

Definitely looking forward to THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY. 

Though with the characters in this film, sometimes it's hard to tell who is which one of these, lol.

Maybe I should have put this in the "I just watched" thread, but seeing a bit of THE BELLES OF ST. TRINIAN'S  last night made me think of how before Thanksgiving Day of 1967, when after the broadcast of the local parade, the station that showed the parade then showed 1951's SCROOGE with ALASTAIR SIM, I had never HEARD of the man, but his Scrooge was so great I became an IMMEDIATE fan!  And for many years after, had never seen him in anything else.

Not until about 20 or so years ago when TCM showed STAGE FRIGHT.  and somewhere too, I caught WHISKEY GALORE.

But, seeing( and perhaps should be brought up in yet another thread) Sim in DRAG, doing a DUAL ROLE is a treat to be treasured!  ;)

I seem to be the only one in my family that "gets" and enjoys British humor, and I was in my own blissful little world last night.  B)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Recommendation for Saturday night: Crime Wave, which has spectacular noir cinematography by John Alton.

And if you miss it tonight, it's being repeated tomorrow (Sunday), which will have three staggering examples of great cinematography: Crime Wave, The World of Henry Orient, Pandora and the Flying Dutchman. The World of Henry Orient is an unusually good example of late 50s/early to mid 60s color cinematography where sets and costumes are all coordinated in one expressive color scheme. As for Pandora, Jack Cardiff's color cinematography is as good as it gets.

The Sunday schedule also includes one of the best 1940s romantic fantasies, The Enchanted Cottage, and Ermanno Olmi's wonderful Il Posto, which somehow combines slice-of-life comedy with Antonioni-like visuals. I have never seen Olmi's I Fidanzati, but plan to record that one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sunday, May 20/21

Il-Posto-1961.jpeg

2 a.m.  Il Posto (1961).  I recommend this Ermanno Olmi film.

pMjW1z3Aj37rZu94vHlLeKwhRPdoUS_large.jpg

3:45 a.m.  I Fidanzati (1962).  And I haven’t seen this Olmi so I’ll be recording it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Getting a bit ahead of the thread as far as this being the day after tomorrow, but all of daytime programming for May 21, Monday, is dedicated to the films of Robert Montgomery in honor of his birthday.  I don't think TCM has given him an entire day for his birthday in several years.

Monday, May 21/22

994e58f3ddf82fa8141b0644b171df59.jpg

2:30 a.m.  Sunrise at Campobello (1960).  Both Ralph Bellamy and Greer Garson are quite good as Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt.  Starring Zina Bethune according to the TCM review!

Tuesday, May 22/23

murdershesaid1961_678x380_03282013054747

1:30 a.m.  Murder, She Said (1961).  You can’t go wrong with Margaret Rutherford as a sleuth.

One Third of a Nation (Tuesday, May 22, 9:15 AM)

Sylvia Sidney and 14-year-old Sidney Lumet (yes, that Sidney Lumet) are a brother and sister living in a tenement that suffers a fire.  Leif Erickson pays for Lumet's medical bills; Sylvia falls in love with him, and then discovers his family owns the tenement.

The original play was part of the Federal Theater project, a New Deal scheme designed to produce propaganda that would keep people voting Democratic.  In this case, that means supporting tearing down the tenements and building state housing projects; never mind where the people currently living in the tenements were going to live while the new projects were being built.  And as we've learned in the decades since, government housing projects have been extremely successful and high-quality.

The movie is hilariously awful and didactic, with the best scene being one of Lumet having a fever dream in which the tenement building talks to him and tells him the tenements will always be with us.  Watch it once just for how bad it is.

• Thanks 3

Wednesday, May 23

torchy-plays-with-dynamite-aka-torchy-bl

6:45 p.m.  Torchy Plays With Dynamite (1939).  One of the greatest film titles of all time.

• Haha 1

Tuesday, May 22:  Four Nancy Drew movies beginning at 8:00 PM.  Two shorts intermixed.  These are really good, entertaining movies.  Too bad Bonita Granville did not make more.  My favorite is Troubleshooter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tomorrow, May 24, has an interesting line-up:

During the daytime hours, the series marathon continues, this time with 6 of the Perry Mason films starring Warren William, Ricardo Cortez, and Donald Woods, followed by 4 Dick Tracy movies starring Morgan Conway, and Ralph Byrd (the last 2 films). 

During primetime and over night, the Marlene Dietrich spotlight continues, with 3 that I plan on taping:

Kismet (1944) 12:00 AM ET - Co-starring Ronald Colman.

Martin Roumagnac aka The Room Upstairs (1946)  4:00 AM ET- with Jean Gabin.

The Lady is Willing (1942) 6:00 AM ET (25th) - with Fred MacMurray.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TheCid said:

Tuesday, May 22:  Four Nancy Drew movies beginning at 8:00 PM.  Two shorts intermixed.  These are really good, entertaining movies.  Too bad Bonita Granville did not make more.  My favorite is Troubleshooter.

Does anyone know WHY they didnt make more?. The series didn't last that long.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Tomorrow, May 24, has an interesting line-up:

During the daytime hours, the series marathon continues, this time with 6 of the Perry Mason films starring Warren William, followed by 4 Dick Tracy movies starring Morgan Conway, and Ralph Bird (the last 2 films). 

During primetime and over night, the Marlene Dietrich spotlight continues, with 3 that I plan on taping:

Kismet (1944) 12:00 AM ET - Co-starring Ronald Colman.

Martin Roumagnac aka The Room Upstairs (1946)  4:00 AM ET- with Jean Gabin.

The Lady is Willing (1942) 6:00 AM ET (25th) - with Fred MacMurray.

I'll probably make sure to catch Martin Roumagnac. I think it's a premiere too.

• Like 1

Thursday, May 24

TCOT-Howling-Dog-1934.jpg

6:45 a.m.  The Case of the Howling Dog (1934).  With Warren William as Perry Mason.  I’ve only known Raymond Burr in the role.

Marlene Dietrich night.

016-marlene-dietrich-and-jean-gabin-ther

4 a.m.  Martin Roumagnac (1946).  Marlene had an affair with co-star Jean Gabin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Does anyone know WHY they didnt make more [BONITA GRANVILLE NANCY DREW MOVIES?. The series didn't last that long.

they are intriguing, and quite memorable for Nancy's unconventional methods in detecting (there's one where she commits about three felonies while investigating a crime, one of which involves her drugging two old women so she can search their home. i am NOT KIDDING.) I started a thread about it some time ago (they were showing the NANCY DREWs on Saturday mornings two years or so ago) and wanted to boost it before last night's showing, but i could not locate the "search" function for the boards to "look it up" in the archives. .

I WOULD NOT be surprised in all honesty if some parents complained because, really, the line between civic duty and outright vigilantism is really blurred in these (again, not kidding)

PS- Ned was HOT.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, TheCid said:

they really are entertaining.

7 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

they are intriguing, and quite memorable for Nancy's unconventional methods in detecting (there's one where she commits about three felonies while investigating a crime, one of which involves her drugging two old women so she can search their home. i am NOT KIDDING.) I started a thread about it some time ago (they were showing the NANCY DREWs on Saturday mornings two years or so ago) and wanted to boost it before last night's showing, but i could not locate the "search" function for the boards to "look it up" in the archives. .

I WOULD NOT be surprised in all honesty if some parents complained because, really, the line between civic duty and outright vigilantism is really blurred in these (again, not kidding)

PS- Ned was HOT.

In the books, Nancy has some unorthodox detecting methods as well.  She also gets herself in some curious situations as well. In Nancy Drew #5, The Secrets of Shadow Ranch, Nancy comes across a "nature cult" as it is stated in the book, but it is very obviously the K K K. 

I am curious as to why they changed the name of Nancy's boyfriend.  In the books, she dates NED Nickerson, but in the movies, he's TED Nickerson.  Maybe the film producer didn't like the alliteration of Ned Nickerson.

Ned/Ted is the same actor who plays the cadet in The Major and the Minor whom Ginger Rogers tricks so that she can use the switchboard.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

PS- Ned was HOT.

He made a cute nurse in the first film shown last night. I did a little checking after I posted that and it seems the reason the series was discontinued was because Granville left Warners and signed with MGM (I dont remember her appearing in MGM films). There also may have been a fifth film produced, but never released for some reason according to some sources. Wonder why.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Ned/Ted is the same actor who plays the cadet in The Major and the Minor whom Ginger Rogers tricks so that she can use the switchboard.

I love his swagger when he walks back in playing the portable radio with the swing music on his shoulder and everyone is standing there staring at him.