Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,888 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Hibi said:

He made a cute nurse in the first film shown last night. I did a little checking after I posted that and it seems the reason the series was discontinued was because Granville left Warners and signed with MGM (I dont remember her appearing in MGM films). There also may have been a fifth film produced, but never released for some reason according to some sources. Wonder why.

he makes a cuter boxer in one of the sequels. there's a scene where he takes a fall and you can just about see "The Promised Land."

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

he makes a cuter boxer in one of the sequels. there's a scene where he takes a fall and you can just about see "The Promised Land."

LOL. I saw part of that one. I would've recorded them all but the dvr is full. :(

Ned, Ted, whatever the hell his name was, he really was like the best boyfriend of all time. Nancy did nothing but risk his life and limb at every turn and on the slightest of whims.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hibi said:

He made a cute nurse in the first film shown last night. I did a little checking after I posted that and it seems the reason the series was discontinued was because Granville left Warners and signed with MGM (I dont remember her appearing in MGM films). There also may have been a fifth film produced, but never released for some reason according to some sources. Wonder why.

Correct.    Granville's first film for MGM was The Mortal Storm with Jimmy Stewart and Margaret Sullavan.   That was a major 'A' production.     She made 5 films for the studio that year and many were also "A" pictures like Escape with Shearer \ Taylor and Third Finger, Left Hand with Loy \ Douglas.

16 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Ned, Ted, whatever the hell his name was, he really was like the best boyfriend of all time. Nancy did nothing but risk his life and limb at every turn and on the slightest of whims.

Yes,  Ted was one patience and understanding boyfriend.    I really like how Frankie Thomas played the part;  not too corny, with just the right amount of 'push back' but then 'give in'.   That isn't as easy as it sounds for a young actor.

15 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Correct.    Granville's first film for MGM was The Mortal Storm with Jimmy Stewart and Margaret Sullavan.   That was a major 'A' production.     She made 5 films for the studio that year and many were also "A" pictures like Escape with Shearer \ Taylor and Third Finger, Left Hand with Loy \ Douglas.

I'd forgotten about The Mortal Storm and havent seen the others. She was back at Warners in 42, giving Bette Davis a hard time in Now, Voyager. Unsure if that was a loan out, or she was free lancing by then......

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

I'd forgotten about The Mortal Storm and havent seen the others. She was back at Warners in 42, giving Bette Davis a hard time in Now, Voyager. Unsure if that was a loan out, or she was free lancing by then......

Yea,  I love her role as the 'brat' (who does come around) in Now, Voyager.    While I'm not sure of her contract status it does appear she was free lancing since after all those MGM films she was in from 40-41 she did films for many different studios.    One big one was the Ladd \ Lake film The Glass Key in 1942 for RKO and Hitler's Children also for RKO in 1943  (and the memorable whipping scene by Nazis scum). 

Add to this her Oscar nomination for These Three in 1936 and Granville was more than just a cute face.  She was one of the best dramatic young actresses of the era.

She was honored at the Disneyland Hotel which her husband Jack Wrather owned until it was sold to the Walt Disney Company. The Bonita Tower and the Granville's Steak House were named in her honor.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

He really was.  In the books, if Ned isn't helping Nancy solve one of her mysteries and getting captured/kidnapped/shot at/etc. with Nancy... he's having to go find and save Nancy (yet again) when she inevitably gets too close for comfort and the criminal captures her or locks her up or what have you. 

• Thanks 2

Friday, May 25

gunsnavarone+cast.jpg

8 p.m.  The Guns of Navarone (1961).  Solid WWII action film with an all star cast.  From the Alastair MacLean novel.

7 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, May 25

gunsnavarone+cast.jpg

8 p.m.  The Guns of Navarone (1961).  Solid WWII action film with an all star cast.  From the Alastair MacLean novel.

Really awesome film. Haven't seen it in awhile, looking forward to seeing it again.

7 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, May 25

gunsnavarone+cast.jpg

A good movie, but like a lot of others, once you have seen it, it is way too long to watch again.

6 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Really awesome film (THE GUNS OF NAVARONE). Haven't seen it in awhile, looking forward to seeing it again.

If you miss it, something tells me you'll get your chance again soon. They've been airing NAVARONE  an awful lot lately, I think this is the second time in two or three weeks and it was just on ondemand for several days.

The guy who directed it (J Lee Thompson) went on to do a peculiar a list of films, probably about as offbeat a career as an Academy award nominated director has ever gone on.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, May 25

gunsnavarone+cast.jpg

This must be the third showing in a month!

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Saturday, May 26

MV5BNzMxYzQxNmQtMDhiMi00MjdiLWE1NzMtOGY2

midnight.  The Clay Pigeon (1949).  This is one that I haven’t seen.  Written by Carl Foreman.

• Thanks 1

more info on THE CLAY PIGEON, which I've never heard of....

(fyi from the director of THE NARROW MARGIN, COMPULSION, 10 RILLINGTON PLACE...and RED SONJA...)

12:00 AM
B/W - 63 m

TV-PG

Closed
Captions
suspense

Synopsis: A man awakens from a coma to discover he's accused of treason.
DirRichard Fleischer CastBill Williams , Barbara Hale , Richard Quine .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

? Richard O. Fleischer. Bill Williams, Barbara Hale, Richard Loo, Richard Quine, Frank Fenton, Martha Hyer. Neat little actioner with Williams, a seaman accused of treason and of responsibility in the death of his friend, on the trail of the real culprit, a Japanese prison guard. Written by Carl Foreman, based on a true incident.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

more info on THE CLAY PIGEON, which I've never heard of....

(from the director of THE NARROW MARGIN...and CONAN THE DESTROYER...)

12:00 AM
B/W - 63 m

TV-PG

Closed
Captions
suspense

Synopsis: A man awakens from a coma to discover he's accused of treason.
DirRichard Fleischer CastBill Williams , Barbara Hale , Richard Quine .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

? Richard O. Fleischer. Bill Williams, Barbara Hale, Richard Loo, Richard Quine, Frank Fenton, Martha Hyer. Neat little actioner with Williams, a seaman accused of treason and of responsibility in the death of his friend, on the trail of the real culprit, a Japanese prison guard. Written by Carl Foreman, based on a true incident.

Neat! An interesting sounding film I haven't seen in what is normally a three day slogfest of WWII films I have seen a dozen times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

Neat! An interesting sounding film I haven't seen in what is normally a three day slogfest of WWII films I have seen a dozen times.

I know, right?!

And on that topic: it's a pretty underwhelming slate of war films scheduled indeed, with one inclusion in particular- THE WINGS OF EAGLES- standing out as a particularly glib and inaccurate assessment of the military that doesn't befit the solemnity of the occasion.

• Like 2

Looking forward to Clay Pigeon. Dont think I've seen it. Wont be watching TCM much this wknd. Not into war movies...

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

Looking forward to Clay Pigeon. Dont think I've seen it. Wont be watching TCM much this wknd. Not into war movies...

ME EITHER.

And most of the War Movies I like have nothing to do with American Wars, and thus don't qualify for Memorial Day.

I'm really racking my brain for any WWI/WWII/Korean/Vietnam/Gulf War 1 & 2 films that I like a lot...and not coming up with anything immediate.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

ME EITHER.

And most of the War Movies I like have nothing to do with American Wars, and thus don't qualify for Memorial Day.

I'm really racking my brain for any WWI/WWII/Korean/Vietnam/Gulf War 1 & 2 films that I like a lot...and not coming up with anything immediate.

For WWI one can't beat Path of Glory (but if you're only looking for films featuring Americans,  that is another story).

I like to watch all the scenes that feature the Timothy Carey that really don't (he was such a problem he was fired and Kubrick had to use a double and this is why one can't see the face of the character!).

• Thanks 1

On 5/23/2018 at 5:32 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

Why in the heck was he Ned in the books and Ted in the series. I thought from reading all the books that the Carolyn Keene version of Ned, was a much cooler cat than the rather lame-o Ted movie version.

Speaking of Nancy Drew, did anyone while reading the series find the female, George's character, well a bit more than just a tomboy? Makes sense since Carolyn Keene didn't really exist and the books were written by a man as I recall.

4 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

Why in the heck was he Ned in the books and Ted in the series. I thought from reading all the books that the Carolyn Keene version of Ned, was a much cooler cat than the rather lame-o Ted movie version.

Speaking of Nancy Drew, did anyone while reading the series find the female, George's character, well a bit more than just a tomboy? Makes sense since Carolyn Keene didn't really exist and the books were written by a man as I recall.

I assume it was because she was  "a bit more" that the character didn't appear in the 1930s, Granville films. 

(oh,  wait,  is that her in the back of that closet?).

20 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

I HAD FORGOTTEN ALL ABOUT GEORGE!

(the Peppermint Patty before there was a Peppermint Patty)

22 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

For WWI one can't beat Path of Glory (but if you're only looking for films featuring Americans,  that is another story).

I like to watch all the scenes that feature the Timothy Carey that really don't (he was such a problem he was fired and Kubrick had to use a double and this is why one can't see the face of the character!).

PATHS OF GLORY would be my pick for the best War Film ever made and is Kubrick's best as well, but yeah, it's not about Americans.**

**which is maybe why it can be such an honest film about the futility of War.

• Like 2