Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,868 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

http://forums.tcm.com/topic/49883-nancy-drew-public-enemy-1/

Now take your Nancy Drew gabfest over there already!

(j/k)

(not really)

:ph34r:

I will gab about Nancy anywhere and everywhere.  I love Nancy Drew.  The funny thing is, I never read them when I was younger, i.e. the actual age the series is targeted toward.  I just started reading them a couple years ago as a 30-something.  Lol.  With the exception of the first book, The Secret of the Old Clock, they're actually very well written. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I will gab about Nancy anywhere and everywhere.  I love Nancy Drew.  The funny thing is, I never read them when I was younger, i.e. the actual age the series is targeted toward.  I just started reading them a couple years ago as a 30-something.  Lol.  With the exception of the first book, The Secret of the Old Clock, they're actually very well written. 

My mother was an elementary school teacher for several decades, and she always recommended her students read the Nancy Drew books. I think she bought 5 or 6 complete sets for her classroom out of her own pocket over the years.

I've seen a couple of the Bonita Granville films, and liked them (and her). 

I think there's a new Nancy Drew movie or TV show in the works.

• Thanks 1

Monday, May 28/29

Vintage-1950-BREAKTHROUGH-Original-8x10-

2 a.m.  Breakthrough (1950).  With Frank Lovejoy.  I haven’t seen this one.

• Thanks 1

Tuesday, May 29

31e6f869f512fbd30e4fd2e1e740fae8--margar

4:45 p.m.  A Night at the Opera (1935).  My favourite Marx Bros. movie.  “If you lose a leg we’ll help you look for it.”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, May 29

4:45 p.m.  A Night at the Opera (1935).  My favourite Marx Bros. movie.  “If you lose a leg we’ll help you look for it.”

I was on a cruise a year ago, and when the discussion came to shipboard room-service, some of my cruise-mates had never actually heard of "And two hard-boiled eggs. (honk!) Make that three hard-boiled eggs."

• Haha 2

On 5/27/2018 at 9:54 AM, Bogie56 said:

Monday, May 28/29

Vintage-1950-BREAKTHROUGH-Original-8x10-

2 a.m.  Breakthrough (1950).  With Frank Lovejoy.  I haven’t seen this one.

first time for me too & found it pretty absorbing for a  B-war flick.

Put it this way, liked it better than the writer of the TCM article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/69632/Breakthrough/articles.html

but maybe not quite THIS much....

".... Reviews were largely positive, with The Hollywood Reporter heralding "a powerful, tensely absorbing film" and Louella Parsons of the Los Angeles Herald Examiner's crowed, "Here is realism of the finest kind." The Hollywood Citizen News mistakenly praised Roy del Ruth (it was  Lewis Seiler ) for "a brilliant job of directing" and a grudgingly complimentary Newsweek lauded the "grime-smeared honesty" of Breakthrough's dramatis personae. "

;)

• Thanks 2

TCMEddieNoirAlley.jpg

I'm a bit late to the party when actually sitting down to watch a film that was on Noir Alley.  I watched Clay Pigeon last night and thought the presenter, Eddie Muller did a great job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, May 29

I once told a date in a restaurant, "When a woman dines with me I expect her to look me in the face. That's the price she has to pay."

The line went over big time with her. Thanks, Groucho!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, EricJ said:

I was on a cruise a year ago, and when the discussion came to shipboard room-service, some of my cruise-mates had never actually heard of "And two hard-boiled eggs. (honk!) Make that three hard-boiled eggs."

HAVE YOU SEEN MY AUNT MINNIE?!

Tuesday, May 29, is Bob Hope during daytime.  My favorite Hope movie is Bachelor in Paradise, 2:45 PM.  It's set in a 1961 new subdivision.  Lots of nostalgia in it for that period of time.  Also, lots of Chrysler Corp. vehicles.  Lana Turner costars with good turns by Janis Paige, Jim Hutton and Paula Prentis.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Tuesday, May 29, is Bob Hope during daytime.  My favorite Hope movie is Bachelor in Paradise, 2:45 PM.  It's set in a 1961 new subdivision.  Lots of nostalgia in it for that period of time.  Also, lots of Chrysler Corp. vehicles.  Lana Turner costars with good turns by Janis Paige, Jim Hutton and Paula Prentis.

I second the vote for Bachelor in Paradise.  It's a different role for Lana than I'm used to seeing.  I also really liked Jim Hutton and Paula Prentiss.  I love the early 1960s comedies.  A lot of them are absurd and corny and this one really isn't any exception, but this film was so much fun to watch.  I also loved Lana's house. 

• Like 1

Wednesday, May 30

bulldog-drummonds-revenge-movie-poster-1

9 a.m.  Bulldog Drummond’s Revenge (1937).  Late series effort with John Barrymore.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2018 at 11:32 AM, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, May 29

Mine too, by a longshot. I know some people would say Duck Soup, but I find that film just way too zany (although I do like it). A Night at the Opera just has a better storyline, and one hilarious scene after another. Even the music doesn't interrupt the flow. Both Groucho and Chico wanted the song "Alone," sung by Allan Jones, cut, but producer Irving Thalberg overruled them, and the song became a big hit. And, of course, the finale where the Brothers wreck the opera, is among the funniest in film history. No matter how many times I see this, I laugh so hard I cry. I don't know if I will ever be able to sit through a performance of Il Trovatore without cracking up. "Boogie boogie boogie."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Trigger warning: they are showing what I assume is the complete BOSTON BLACK I.E. series tonight, and if so there is one that features a really racist and offensive blackface routine near the end (Chester Morris and a pal both pretend to be hotel maids, so it manages to be both racist AND sexist and also incredibly UNfunny even by 1940-something standards)

Like, just beyond what even goes down in WHITE CHRISTMAS. 

If I'm wrong and this film has been left out of tonight's lineup, thank you TCM. And if I'm right and it IS airing- please hold out your hand, TCM, I'm whacking your knuckles with a ruler.

it's one film that should be tossed on the salt pile

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Trigger warning: they are showing what I assume is the complete BOSTON BLACK I.E. series tonight, and if so there is one that features a really racist and offensive blackface routine near the end (Chester Morris and a pal both pretend to be hotel maids, so it manages to be both racist AND sexist and also incredibly UNfunny even by 1940-something standards)

If I'm wrong and this film has been left out of tonight's lineup, thank you TCM. And if I'm right and it IS airing- please hold out your hand, TCM, I'm whacking your knuckles with a ruler.

You're remembering "Boston Blakkie's Rendezvous", and it is not on tonight. (Spelling error necessary to get past autocensor.)

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

You're remembering "Boston Blakkie's Rendezvous", and it is not on tonight. (Spelling error necessary to get past autocensor.)

Thank you very much! 

And (big) thanks TCM for not showing it, I'm hardly "Miss PC"- VERY rarely do I take such issue with a film as to feel that it shouldn't be played altogether, but I saw it the last time it aired (in the last five years or so) and really, the world is better off not seeing this one.

ps- I know, Otto Sensor doesn't like "Black i.e. " And my AutoCorrect did the rest.

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I am assuming you mean Bing's blackface routine in Holiday Inn.  I've seen White Christmas multiple times, it's one of my holiday standards, I don't recall seeing anything offensive...

Bing in Holiday Inn on the other hand... oh my. Despite that number, Holiday Inn is also in my rotation of holiday films.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Yes, Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye looked awful as a sister act.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I am assuming you mean Bing's blackface routine in Holiday Inn.  I've seen White Christmas multiple times, it's one of my holiday standards, I don't recall seeing anything offensive...

Bing in Holiday Inn on the other hand... oh my. Despite that number, Holiday Inn is also in my rotation of holiday films.

DAMN IT. 

I always get those two confused. (just like Abbott and Costello)

Yeah, my bad;and thank you for the correction (and knowing exactly what I meant)

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

DAMN IT. 

I always get those two confused. (just like Abbott and Costello)

Yeah, my bad;and thank you for the correction (and knowing exactly what I meant)

I got your back Lorna! I tried to "like" your comment and got an error stating "Sorry, there was a problem reacting to this content," which seems hilarious right now... at 6:30 am.  I think I need coffee... even the not so great break room coffee.

• Haha 1

The Saint series is on and very enjoyable.  At least those with George Sanders.  First one is on now (with Louis Hayward), but not very good.  The Saint in Palm Springs is my favorite.  I think that was last one with Sanders as he moved on to The Falcon Series before his brother, Tom Conway, took that over.

At 5:30 PM, two with Hugh Sinclair are being shown.  Haven't seen these, so do not know about them.

Thursday, May 31

the-adventures-of-rusty-from-left-ted-do

7:45 a.m.  Adventures of Rusty (1945).  A boy tries to rehabilitate a Nazi dog.  Yikes!  Is it bilingual?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I think they only showed 4 from the series last night. (If I remember correctly, there were 16 total). I watched 2 of them. One I'd already seen and I recorded the last one.

• Like 1