Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

7,550 posts in this topic

Tonight at 8:00 as part of Marlene Dietrich's SOTM, 1958's TOUCH OF EVIL, in which she appears for maybe 5 minutes (?) and damn-near steals the picture.

If you pulled a gun on me and said "NAME THE GREATEST FILM NOIR EVER MADE IN THE NEXT THREE SECONDS OR DIE!," I'd surely blurt out TOUCH OF EVIL, although I'd later wonder if I was being unfair to OUT OF THE PAST, THE MALTESE FALCON, DOUBLE INDEMNITY and ACE IN THE HOLE....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friday, June 1

bestyears55.jpg?w=960

6 a.m.  The Best Years of Our Lives (1946).  William Wyler hits another home run with this one.

 
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Tonight at 8:00 as part of Marlene Dietrich's SOTM, 1958's TOUCH OF EVIL, in which she appears for maybe 5 minutes (?) and damn-near steals the picture.

If you pulled a gun on me and said "NAME THE GREATEST FILM NOIR EVER MADE IN THE NEXT THREE SECONDS OR DIE!," I'd surely blurt out TOUCH OF EVIL, although I'd later wonder if I was being unfair to OUT OF THE PAST, THE MALTESE FALCON, DOUBLE INDEMNITY and ACE IN THE HOLE....

Looking forward to seeing it again and in the version Welles wanted before Universal recut the film. Dietrich makes the most of her 5 minute role!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2018 at 8:00 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

If I'm wrong and this film has been left out of tonight's lineup, thank you TCM.

I don't think TCM should be setting its lineup around upsetting your oversensitive feelings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Fedya said:

I don't think TCM should be setting its lineup around upsetting your oversensitive feelings.

I DO!

i want them to fear me, to whisper my name. 

I want them to know my wrath will follow them to the ends of the earth. 

Their every move, their every judgment is to be second-guessed with "but what will Lorna say?!" "what will Lorna do?" "OH FOR THE DAYS WHEN WE DID NOT LIVE TO PLEASE THAT OMNIPOTENT HARRIDAN, THAT RELENTLESS HORROR HAG! NEPENTHE! NEPENTHE!"

But there is to be no release. 

ALL WILL WORSHIP AND FEAR ME: ALL WILL LOVE ME AND DESPAIR!

now- is there any way you guys can get the rights to BEYOND THE FOREST?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saturday, June 2

MV5BOTIzNjM3NGItNmIyMS00ZWFmLWE1ZDItYmZm

8 a.m. approx.  Scarlet River (1933).  A Hollywood cavalcade type film.  With “Crieghton” Chaney, Myrna Loy and Joel McCrea.  Stunts by Yakima Canutt.

hqdefault.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Strong to the Finich (1933).

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm delighted that Three Strangers will lead off the evening lineup for Saturday, because this film deserves to be better known. The superstitious Geraldine Fitzgerald wants two strangers to share her lottery ticket, and they just happen to be Sydney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre. What could possibly go wrong? All of Jean Negulesco's black & white films are worth seeing. Script by John Huston.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kingrat said:

I'm delighted that Three Strangers will lead off the evening lineup for Saturday, because this film deserves to be better known. The superstitious Geraldine Fitzgerald wants two strangers to share her lottery ticket, and they just happen to be Sydney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre. What could possibly go wrong? All of Jean Negulesco's black & white films are worth seeing. Script by John Huston.

OMG!

I've never heard of this one and I love everyone you just described right down to Negulesco!!!!!!!!

will definitely be watching!

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday, June 3

letter1940.JPG

10 a.m.  The Letter (1940).  An odd time for this Bette Davis classic unless you record it to view later.  Herbert Marshall and James Stephenson are very good as well.  Will it have the Eddie Muller introduction?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, June 3

letter1940.JPG

10 a.m.  The Letter (1940).  An odd time for this Bette Davis classic unless you record it to view later.  Herbert Marshall and James Stephenson are very good as well.  Will it have the Eddie Muller introduction?

 

If there is a wine connection ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, June 3

letter1940.JPG

10 a.m.  The Letter (1940).  An odd time for this Bette Davis classic unless you record it to view later.  Herbert Marshall and James Stephenson are very good as well.  Will it have the Eddie Muller introduction?

 

Yes; it's part of the FILM NOIR series so I'm sure we'll get Eddie's intro and outro.  I've seen it many times and I'm looking forward to Eddie's comments (as always).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

If there is a wine connection ...

As tonight's sommelier on TCM Wine Club I offer the special wine for The Letter:

"A very dry blood-colored red with overtones of rubber, incense, and gunpowder."

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

late Sun. for TCM Imports.......

2:00 AM (ET)
B/W - 101 m
 
drama

Synopsis: Plastic surgery gives a bitter, scarred woman a new chance at life.
DirGustaf Molander CastTore Svennberg , Anders Henrikson , Ingrid Bergman .

- a Swedish version of same title of '41 film w/Joan Crawford

see: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/96193/Woman-s-Face-A/articles.html

 

don't recall ever seeing this before, but w/Bergman it's certainly worth checking out :)

image.png.5b5ca855313e567effd488b5d759589f.png

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Monday, June 4

MV5BMTM1NjM2MTE3Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNjY4

8 p.m. and again at 1:45 a.m.  Leslie Howard: The Man Who Gave a Damn (2016).  Fairly new documentary about Howard.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2018 at 4:52 AM, mr6666 said:

late Sun. for TCM Imports.......

2:00 AM (ET)
B/W - 101 m
 
drama

Synopsis: Plastic surgery gives a bitter, scarred woman a new chance at life.
DirGustaf Molander CastTore Svennberg , Anders Henrikson , Ingrid Bergman .

- a Swedish version of same title of '41 film w/Joan Crawford

see: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/96193/Woman-s-Face-A/articles.html

 

don't recall ever seeing this before, but w/Bergman it's certainly worth checking out :)

image.png.5b5ca855313e567effd488b5d759589f.png

I recorded it. I've never seen Bergman's version either. THey've shown it a few times when Bergman was SOTM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tuesday, June 5/6

Hallelujah.jpg

3:45 a.m.  Hallelujah (1929).  By King Vidor.  The first all black feature by a major studio according to the notes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I recorded it. I've never seen Bergman's version either. THey've shown it a few times when Bergman was SOTM.

They definitely made Bergman look a lot more disfigured in the Swedish version than Joan did in the American version! Joan is scarred, but still somehow maintains some glamour.  "I want to look scarred, but not too scarred."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

They definitely made Bergman look a lot more disfigured in the Swedish version than Joan did in the American version! Joan is scarred, but still somehow maintains some glamour.  "I want to look scarred, but not too scarred."

LOL. I figured that. This was MGM.............

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

LOL. I figured that. This was MGM.............

I thought Joan was pretty during her early MGM years (post skinny eyebrows) and the Warner Brother years.  Once she started having the huge eyebrows and mouth and the blonde hair, she looked like a Joan Crawford caricature. I thought she actually looked pretty good in What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? only because her "Joan Crawford" costume was absent.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I thought Joan was pretty during her early MGM years (post skinny eyebrows) and the Warner Brother years.  Once she started having the huge eyebrows and mouth and the blonde hair, she looked like a Joan Crawford caricature. I thought she actually looked pretty good in What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? only because her "Joan Crawford" costume was absent.

 

Blonde hair? She was only a blonde for a few films in the early 30s......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amusing Westerns.  Wed. June 06.  Callaway Went Thataway, Support Your Local Sheriff and The Good Guys and the Bad Guys.  Nothing overly serious, just good entertainment.  CWT is actually a "modern" Hollywood western.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us