Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,633 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Hibi said:

Blonde hair [on JOAN CRAWFORD]? She was only a blonde for a few films in the early 30s......

Maybe Speedy meant to say "butch" and it got autocorrected?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hibi said:

Blonde hair? She was only a blonde for a few films in the early 30s......

Maybe orange hair is more accurate.

BestOfEverything-detail-main.jpg

57 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Maybe Speedy meant to say "butch" and it got autocorrected?

Lol! No.  I posted a screenshot from The Best of Everything to Hibi.  Joan had a period in the mid to late 50s where she had this weird orangey red hair with the big black caterpillar eyebrows.  She is thisclose to looking like Maggie's nemesis, the unibrow baby in The Simpsons.

latest?cb=20120402171312

Somebody drew this picture of Joan as Medusa for some Etsy product.  This is hilarious.

il_340x270.1251859047_i2pp.jpg?version=0

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Lol! No.  I posted a screenshot from The Best of Everything to Hibi.  Joan had a period in the mid to late 50s where she had this weird orangey red hair with the big black caterpillar eyebrows.

Like the hair she had in Torch Song.  Especially in the "Two-Faced Woman" number.  :lol:

9 minutes ago, Fedya said:

Like the hair she had in Torch Song.  Especially in the "Two-Faced Woman" number.  :lol:

I don't even know what looks worse, her hair or the blackface? 

fb14699cdc54c10ee98371410211bc88.jpg

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Yes, yes it is. 

If you'd said "orange" we'd've all been "yup. TORCH SONG. BEST OF EVERYTHING. Got it."

Brassy, bad henna, Kool-Aid dye- all appropriate as well, but "blonde" doesn't quite get the effect

11 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Hair. 

At least the make up is smooth and evenly applied. And I kind of enjoy the diamonds on the eyebrows.

Wednesday, June 6

Poster.jpg

6:15 p.m.  The Good Guys and the Bad Guys (1969).  I haven’t seen this western with Robert Mitchum and David Carradine.  Heck, I hadn’t even heard of it which isn’t always a good sign.

greyfriars1.jpg

11:15 p.m.  Greyfriar’s Bobby (1961).  Good Disney flick with a great understated performance by Alex Mackenzie as ‘Auld Jock.’

Big-Red-Film.jpg

1:15 a.m.  Big Red (1962).  Like The Incredible Journey (1963) this is shot in Quebec.  Seeing this as a kid made me want to have a red setter.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

LOL. Yeah, it was orange a few times.........

Thursday, June 7

“And your little dog too”

1e344e1c752cd9cd320144b1e38d1ceb.jpg

8 p.m.  The Wizard of Oz (1939).  I'll hide behind the couch when this comes on.

• Haha 1

On 6/4/2018 at 7:55 PM, speedracer5 said:

LOL! NOT becoming! I was going to mention that, but got beaten to the punch.......

On 6/5/2018 at 7:45 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

Hair. 

At least the make up is smooth and evenly applied. And I kind of enjoy the diamonds on the eyebrows.

But it looks like only one eyebrow!

On 6/4/2018 at 7:41 PM, speedracer5 said:

Lol! No.  I posted a screenshot from The Best of Everything to Hibi.  Joan had a period in the mid to late 50s where she had this weird orangey red hair with the big black caterpillar eyebrows.  She is thisclose to looking like Maggie's nemesis, the unibrow baby in The Simpsons.

latest?cb=20120402171312

Somebody drew this picture of Joan as Medusa for some Etsy product.  This is hilarious.

il_340x270.1251859047_i2pp.jpg?version=0

Joan had this Medusa-like do in The Caretakers (circa 1960)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

they were on a budget!

LOL!!!

getting off topic maybe, but one other thing about TORCH SONG that I find slightly amusing is how INCREDIBLY CHEAP THE SETS ARE!

Budget priorities on that one were OBVIOUSLY:

1. Crawford

2. Wardrobe

3. Hair and make-up

4. Lighting

...and then they were like, "how much we got left for sets?" and someone was like "a buck ninety-five" and off they went to a Hardware Hank's in Culver City and threw together the stages. I'm still not quite sure WHY they couldn't borrow already dressed stages or props from other MGM Productions. (God knows they borrowed the music!)

all the sets- especially Crawford's apartment- just look so cheap.

Yeah, it was basically a B movie dressed up for Crawford's return.......

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

getting off topic maybe, but one other thing about TORCH SONG that I find slightly amusing is how INCREDIBLY CHEAP THE SETS ARE!

Budget priorities on that one were OBVIOUSLY:

1. Crawford

2. Wardrobe

3. Hair and make-up

4. Lighting

...and then they were like, "how much we got left for sets?" and someone was like "a buck ninety-five" and off they went to a Hardware Hank's in Culver City and threw together the stages. I'm still not quite sure WHY they couldn't borrow already dressed stages or props from other MGM Productions. (God knows they borrowed the music!)

all the sets- especially Crawford's apartment- just look so cheap.

They must have only had $2 in the hair budget for Joan's reddish orange 'do.

• Haha 1

On 6/4/2018 at 7:55 PM, speedracer5 said:

Mammy Dearest

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, [TORCH SONG] was basically a B movie dressed up for Crawford's return.......

THAT'S GENEROUS. I'd say it's a C+ at best.

Marjorie Rambeau is great tho.

56 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

...so are we just straight up getting pelted with nothing but musicals for the whole month of June?

I think the musicals are on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  They're part of the material for the Musicals class.  I'll admit that I haven't been watching any of them for the class, but in my defense, I've seen most of them.  I did watch Born to Dance

• Thanks 1

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2015 at 9:57 PM, manderstoke said:

I'm pleased that TCM acknowledged James Mason's birthday by showing six of his movies - of course they hedged their bets by starting them at 6am and 7:30am, presumably because not enough people would be that interested in watching them.  Nevertheless, any Mason is better than no Mason.

My choices would have been different.  Forget NORTH BY NORTHWEST, which is hardly a Mason film - it belongs to Grant all the way.  And THE LAST OF SHEILA?  Well, Mason is in there somewhere among the crowd.  And THE PRISONER OF ZENDA stars Granger and Kerr ( but surely you will agree that Rupert of Hentzau steals every scene he's in.)

It would have been a delight if TCM had shown some of Mason's films that made him the number one star in Britain - those delicious Gainsborough melodramas and how about THE SEVENTH VEIL, THE UPTURNED GLASS, THEY WERE SISTERS?  Mason was drop dead gorgeous in these films and created a new screen persona - the dark, Byronic, tormented (and tormenting) antihero, over whom women worldwide swooned and plunked down their cash to watch him over and over again.  Is it that TCM can't get access to these movies, or is unfamiliar with them?

Other, later Mason films I would have preferred include:  FIVE FINGERS, JULIUS CAESAR, PANDORA AND THE FLYING DUTCHMAN, THE MAN BETWEEN, THE SEA GULL, THE DEADLY AFFAIR, THE SHOOTING PARTY. And there were the two delightful comedies he starred in - A TOUCH OF LARCENY and TIARA TAHITI.  (He made a couple of other comedies, but they were ghastly).

In short, why couldn't TCM have picked movies that starred Mason?  Lord knows, he made enough of them.

Anyway, as I said, any Mason is better than no Mason.  But, please, no more NBNW touted as a "Mason film."  It ain't.

lets see the tcm slackers show Hatter's Castle with james mason as a Scottish town's doctor.

they never show that.

:)Related image