Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

7,085 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

THAT'S GENEROUS. I'd say it's a C+ at best.

Marjorie Rambeau is great tho.

LOL!

2 hours ago, TomJH said:

Mammy Dearest

LMREO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good one!

Friday, June 8

266px-Dean_Martin-Anna_Maria_Alberghetti

6 a.m.  Ten Thousand Bedrooms (1956).  Dino sans Jerry.  Co-starring Anna Maria Alberspaghetti.

17 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, June 8

6 a.m.  Ten Thousand Bedrooms (1956).  Dino sans Jerry.  Co-starring Anna Maria Alberspaghetti.

I like the "sans Jerry" part. I bet Dino did too.

7 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, June 8

Until I saw this movie scheduled, I had no idea that Anna Maria Alberghetti was a real person! There is an episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show that has Ted (in a subplot), trying to come up with a punchline for his knock-knock joke.  The main plot of the episode is bittersweet, Lou's ex-wife Edie is remarrying.  The WJM gang are at a bar trying to support Lou.  Mary is overcome with emotion because Lou was so gracious during the wedding.  Ted tries again with the knock knock joke and goes: "Knock Knock.  Who's there? Anna Maria Alberget in a taxi honey..." Mary starts laughing and the gang ends up singing a song about Anna Maria Alberghetti in a taxi.  Ted's joke is stupid, but it does its job and lightens the mood and cheers everyone up. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, June 8

Saw this one a long time ago. If you can buy Walter Slezak as an Italian ...

• Haha 1

TONIGHT AT 8:O0:

8:00 PM
C - 121 m

Warlock (1959)

Synopsis: A Western town hires a famous gunman to rid it of outlaws.
DirEdward Dmytryk CastRichard Widmark , Henry Fonda , Anthony Quinn .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

? Edward Dmytryk. Richard Widmark, Henry Fonda, Anthony Quinn, Dorothy Malone, Dolores Michaels, Wallace Ford, Tom Drake, Richard Arlen, DeForest Kelley, Regis Toomey. Philosophical vigilante "sheriff'' Fonda is hired to clean up the crime-infested Western town of Warlock. This sets off a complex storyline involving, among others, crippled Quinn, guilt-ridden Widmark, and embittered Malone. Literate, allegorical adult Western examines the lynch-mob mentality and the meaning of machismo. Forgotten, but worthy of rediscovery. Scripted by Robert Alan Aurthur. CinemaScope.

• Thanks 1

Warlock is definitely worthy of rediscovery. Compare the cinematography of Joe MacDonald with any of the Sepia Sludge films of the 1970s or the overdone brown-forward films and TV shows of today: MacDonald uses notes of blue and red to enrich the dusty tones, and shot after shot is beautifully composed and colored.

The story, direction, and acting are also top quality. And what other film has Anthony Quinn in love with Henry Fonda?

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Until I saw this movie scheduled, I had no idea that Anna Maria Alberghetti was a real person! There is an episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show that has Ted (in a subplot), trying to come up with a punchline for his knock-knock joke. 

At the time, Alberghetti was all over US television, selling Good Seasons salad dressing.  (Hence her name turning up so often in 70's TV comedies.)

I wasn't aware there was a real one either, until she turned up as the princess in Jerry Lewis's "Cinderfella".  She was reportedly a good Broadway singer, but nobody else got to sing that much in Jerry's movie.

Saturday, June 9

220px-More_about_Nostradamus_--_screensh

8 a.m.  More About Nostradamus (1940).  My prediction is that this will be cheesy. 

12.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Shiver Me Timbers (1934).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Until I saw this movie scheduled, I had no idea that Anna Maria Alberghetti was a real person! There is an episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show that has Ted (in a subplot), trying to come up with a punchline for his knock-knock joke.  The main plot of the episode is bittersweet, Lou's ex-wife Edie is remarrying.  The WJM gang are at a bar trying to support Lou.  Mary is overcome with emotion because Lou was so gracious during the wedding.  Ted tries again with the knock knock joke and goes: "Knock Knock.  Who's there? Anna Maria Alberget in a taxi honey..." Mary starts laughing and the gang ends up singing a song about Anna Maria Alberghetti in a taxi.  Ted's joke is stupid, but it does its job and lightens the mood and cheers everyone up. 

Yes, she was! A singer who did some films in the 50s. She had better success on the stage. Later on she did salad dressing commercials.....

• Like 1

Anna Maria Alberghetti starred in Carnival on Broadway, which is a musical version of Lili, and she won a Tony. She sang as a guest star on some of the variety shows, and, as has been mentioned, did commercials. She was very pretty and a good singer, but her career didn't take off.

On 6/7/2018 at 6:17 PM, speedracer5 said:

It wasn't until years after I first saw the "Edie Gets Married" episode of THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW on Nick At Nite that I learned what song Ted was referencing in the punchline of his Anna Maria Alberghetti knock-knock joke. I discovered the music of the great Alberta Hunter when I borrowed a CD from my local library  featuring a concert performance of hers. One of the songs was "Darktown Strutters' Ball."  When I heard it I said, "That's the song they were singing in the bar on that MTM SHOW episode!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Tonight at 3:30

island_of_lost_souls.jpg

The Island of Lost Souls

Must have been last night.

Sunday, June 10

Cteq_Why-Worry-750x400.jpg

midnight.  Why Worry?  (1923).  This Harold Lloyd feature is my pick of the day.

• Like 3

Poster_-_Among_Those_Present_(1921)_01.j

Also on is Harold Lloyd in Among Those Present and Fatty Arbuckle in the short My Stars. Both are worth catching.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, TheCid said:

ISLAND OF LOST SOULS must have been last night.

Yeah, but it's on TCM ON DEMAND, as is THE TWILIGHT PEOPLE which is terrible.

• Haha 1

DARKTOWN STRUTTERS BALL is also featured in THE ABOMINABLE DR PHIBES.

there is a very ragtime version done by a male singer in a mid-atlantic accent during the scene at the masquerade ball where the frog mask crushes the second (third?) victim's head.

I always remember it from that.

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

there is a very ragtime version done by a male singer in a mid-atlantic accent during the scene at the masquerade ball where the frog mask crushes the second (third?) victim's head.

"Did someone call us?"

darktown-strutters-movie-poster-1975-102

• Thanks 1

Monday, June 11

Haley+Mills+and+Hywell+Bennet+in+The+Fam

6:30 a.m.  The Family Way (1966).  My mother took me to see this when I was ten.  She thought it was going to be just another Hayley Mills ‘family’ picture.

• Haha 1

Tuesday, June 12

0059811_37166_MC_Tx360-620x360.jpg

6 a.m.  Best Foot Forward (1943).  Starring Lucille Ball.  June Allyson’s screen debut.

• Sad 1

On 6/10/2018 at 8:55 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

Thanks for this information!

I found a clip of that scene from THE ABOMINABLE DR PHIBES online.