Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

7,640 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

That must be a Canadian-only thing...I have Gigi listed for that timeslot on the schedule. 

It's not as if Gigi is any better.

19 hours ago, kingrat said:

Recommended for Monday evening: It's Love I'm After. Screwball comedy with Leslie Howard, Bette Davis, Olivia De Havilland, Bonita Granville, and Eric Blore.

I love this film! I haven't seen it since the days when TNT used to play classic films. One doesn't usually think of comedy when the names Leslie Howard, Bette Davis and Olivia de Havilland come on the screen, but this one really works!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wednesday, June 20.

In case anyone needed help in knowing which Errol Flynn film to watch during his birthday tribute:

image.png.b9de9c3997859566f7424b581393b8d6.png

While I own all the films being aired, even the short film, and would watch any of these films in a heartbeat, I recommend:

That Forsyte Woman.  This is a later Errol film, the only film he made at MGM.  He just happened to be at MGM during the 25th Anniversary celebration and that's how he ended up in the famous MGM luncheon video.  He's visible sitting next to Greer Garson.  The look on Errol's face looks like he'd rather be anywhere else than sitting in that room.  If I remember correctly, Errol and Greer are sitting in the same row as Clark Gable, Ava Gardner, Judy Garland and Fred Astaire.  Talk about being in the party row! Anyway, I digress.  While That Forsyte Woman has its issues, imo it's Robert Young, I would argue that Errol gives the strongest performance.  He has to play against type and portrays the cold and humorless Soames Forsyte.  

Uncertain Glory.  This film features Errol in a somewhat villain type role.  Throughout the film, you never really know what Errol's going to do, hence the title I suppose.  Errol plays a prisoner who manages to escape during his execution after the site is bombed.  While on the run, Errol meets up with his friend Sheldon Leonard and ends up romancing Leonard's girlfriend, Faye Emerson.  Errol ends up being found by French detective Paul Lukas.  At the same time, the Nazi's are holding innocent French citizens hostage as a means to retaliate against some sabotage on one of their bridges.  They inform the French that they will only release the hostages if the saboteur comes forward.  Errol offers to turn himself in as the saboteur as to release the hostages.  However, throughout the film, he flip flops so much, runs off with a woman he meets, and does other things that you don't know if Errol will come through in the end.

The Sisters.  In this weepie, Bette Davis is paired with Errol.  Bette and Errol play newlyweds who marry and settle down in San Francisco after meeting at the 1904 Election party (in which Theodore Roosevelt won a second term) in Silver Bow, Montana.  Bette is one of three sisters and is arguably the smartest and most sensible one--however, Errol is hardly the most sensible man.  He is a sports reporter who just wants to give his wife the life he thinks she deserves.  Tired of having no money, Bette ends up getting a job as a secretary at a department store and thrives.  Errol's ego is bruised. This was a great film for both Bette and Errol and shows vulnerable sides of both actors that isn't typically visible in their respective films. 

• Like 3

Wednesday, June 20/21

the-graduate.jpg?w=500

3:45 a.m.  The Graduate (1967).  Always good if you haven’t seen this in a while.

21 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, June 20/21

the-graduate.jpg?w=500

3:45 a.m.  The Graduate (1967).  Always good if you haven’t seen this in a while.

this sicko wants to soil Bancroft's daughter after overwhelming her mother?

:o

Wednesday 6pm Adventures of Don Juan

An often tongue-in-cheek swashbuckler, with breathtaking costumes and sets filmed in beautiful Technicolor. It also has one of the great musical scores by Max Steiner.

Errol Flynn gives a wryly humourous, nuanced performance as the world famous seducer getting a bit tired of the chase. The strong supporting cast includes Viveca Lindfors, Robert Douglas and old Flynn buddy Alan Hale in his final film with the swashbuckler. The final duel on a giant staircase is one of the best sequences of its kind.

donjuan23.jpg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Wednesday 6pm Adventures of Don Juan

An often tongue-in-cheek swashbuckler, with breathtaking costumes and sets filmed in beautiful Technicolor. It also has one of the great musical scores by Max Steiner.

Errol Flynn gives a wryly humourous, nuanced performance as the world famous seducer getting a bit tired of the chase. The strong supporting cast includes Viveca Lindfors, Robert Douglas and old Flynn buddy Alan Hale in his final film with the swashbuckler. The final duel on a giant staircase is one of the best sequences of its kind.

donjuan23.jpg

Tom, I'm starting to get the feeling you really like this film.

1 hour ago, scsu1975 said:

Tom, I'm starting to get the feeling you really like this film.

Yup, you got that right, Rich. I also think that Don Juan is an underrated film. You hear occasional positive references to other, better known Flynn swashbucklers like Captain Blood or Robin Hood, but relatively few for this one. I guess that's one of the reasons I like to promote its many virtues, as well.

JUNE BRIDE (1948) starring BETTE DAVIS is on at 10:00 pm (eastern) tonight. It's both a comedy and from her period of decline at WB- and yet-it's really very good and pretty damn funny all-around.

it's got a sly, subversive script and its "lifestyle magazine" angle is pretty reflective of the world today.

image.png.9ced8f0057dc57e203fe8aa3d302109a.png

• Like 1

Yes, one of the few bright spots in Bette's final years at WB.......

37 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yes, one of the few bright spots in Bette's final years at WB.......

i think the lone bright spot, really.

unless you count the five-alarm fire that is BEYOND THE FOREST as "bright..."

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

this sicko wants to soil Bancroft's daughter after overwhelming her mother?

:o

If he'd just gone into Plastics as advised, none of this debauchery would have occurred.

18 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

LOL. Well, she did go out with a BANG!

35 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Beyond the Forest, imo, is the highlight of Bette's career! Why oh why isn't this film available on DVD/Blu Ray ??

The only way Bette could have made Beyond the Forest even better would be if she'd reenacted her "Wipe my mouth" scene from Of Human Bondage.

bette-of-human-bondage-gif.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

JUNE BRIDE (1948) starring BETTE DAVIS is on at 10:00 pm (eastern) tonight. It's both a comedy and from her period of decline at WB- and yet-it's really very good and pretty damn funny all-around.

it's got a sly, subversive script and its "lifestyle magazine" angle is pretty reflective of the world today.

I second the vote for June Bride ! Robert Montgomery and Bette made a great pairing.  Look for a young Debbie Reynolds as one of Betty "Thelma Lou" Lynn's friends.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Beyond the Forest, imo, is the highlight of Bette's career! Why oh why isn't this film available on DVD/Blu Ray ??

The only way Bette could have made Beyond the Forest even better would be if she'd reenacted her "Wipe my mouth" scene from Of Human Bondage.

Flying back from Europe to So Cal I was able to watch Feud back-to-back with no breaks \ commercials.

There is a mention by Bette related to Beyond the Forest and that she was being cast in roles that Joan, who Warner hired as a counter to Bette,  use to get at MGM.     But Bette turned down Mildred Pierce because she didn't wish to play a mom to a young beauty.

5 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I second the vote for June Bride ! Robert Montgomery and Bette made a great pairing.  Look for a young Debbie Reynolds as one of Betty "Thelma Lou" Lynn's friends.

They do have good chemistry, and it's funny they did not get along on set... At all. Years later I think Davis said Montgomery was the most difficult male actor she ever worked with. As per Bette, his scene stealing antics made him a sort of "male Miriam Hopkins."

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Flying back from Europe to So Cal I was able to watch Feud back-to-back with no breaks \ commercials.

There is a mention by Bette related to Beyond the Forest and that she was being cast in roles that Joan, who Warner hired as a counter to Bette,  use to get at MGM.     But Bette turned down Mildred Pierce because she didn't wish to play a mom to a young beauty.

As much as I love Bette Davis and am not as big a fan of Crawford's (though I do think her Warner Brother years are my favorite part of her career), I'm glad Crawford got the role of Mildred Pierce.  I cannot picture Bette in the role. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, speedracer5 said:

As much as I love Bette Davis and am not as big a fan of Crawford's (though I do think her Warner Brother years are my favorite part of her career), I'm glad Crawford got the role of Mildred Pierce.  I cannot picture Bette in the role. 

I agree that Crawford was much more suited for the role of Mildred Pierce than Bette Davis (oh, and the pun was intended!).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

They do have good chemistry, and it's funny they did not get along on set... At all. Years later I think Davis said Montgomery was the most difficult male actor she ever worked with. As per Bette, his scene stealing antics made him a sort of "male Miriam Hopkins."

Lol.  I was rather indifferent to Montgomery for awhile, but it seems like this year, he's been popping up in everything that I've been watching lately.  I now find myself looking for his films in the schedules.  Miriam Hopkins was someone who I wasn't particularly fond of for awhile because the first films of hers I saw was Virginia City.  I think Hopkins was miscast in that film.  I don't particularly buy that Flynn would be lusting after her.  But I've seen some of her precode material like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Trouble in Paradise and she's fantastic in those films! 

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

image.png.9ced8f0057dc57e203fe8aa3d302109a.png

Everything except the lame, unbelievable ending! :(

• Like 1

Thursday, June 21

roadtobali_600x337.jpg

6 a.m.  Road to Bali (1953).  Start the day with Hope & Crosby.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Rights issues. :( TCM used to show it all the time years ago.........(Beyond the Forest)

• Sad 1

Friday, June 22

1140-ss-leyenda-dolores-del-rio-Henry-Fo

4:14 p.m.  The Fugitive (1947).  This John Ford, Henry Fonda film is just so-so but if you’ve seen it before try turning off the sound and just watch Gabriel Figueroa’s cinematography.

• Like 1