Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

7,404 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, June 22

1140-ss-leyenda-dolores-del-rio-Henry-Fo

4:14 p.m.  The Fugitive (1947).  This John Ford, Henry Fonda film is just so-so but if you’ve seen it before try turning off the sound and just watch Gabriel Figueroa’s cinematography.

While I agree it's not their best work together (that would be THE GRAPES OF WRATH or MISTER ROBERTS, despite the on screen tension between the two during the latter film), it's still very much a watchable film. 

The cinematography is splendid indeed.

Saturday, June 23

adreamwalking.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: A Dream Walking (1934).  This was one of my favourite Popeye’s as a kid.

michael-caine-get-carter.jpg

4 p.m.  Get Carter (1971).  With Michael Caine.  I wasn’t a fan of this the first time around but perhaps I missed something.  It is supposed to be a classic.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, June 23

4 p.m.  Get Carter (1971).  With Michael Caine.  I wasn’t a fan of this the first time around but perhaps I missed something.  It is supposed to be a classic.

It is. It's not for everyone, of course. It will frustrate some viewers. I liked it a lot, though.

Sunday, June 24/25

57_big.jpg

2:15 a.m.  Stalker (1979).  Alfonso Cuaron’s Children of Men owes a little to this Tarkovsky film.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Noon, Sunday, June 24:  Mr. Blandings Build His Dream House.  This is a great comedy.  If you have ever built a house, remodeled a house or are thinking about either, watch this movie.  Even if you have not, watch it anyway as it is really funny. Cary Grant, Myrna Loy and Melvyn Douglas are excellent in it. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, June 24/25

57_big.jpg

2:15 a.m.  Stalker (1979).  Alfonso Cuaron’s Children of Men owes a little to this Tarkovsky film.

Also afterwards is the Steamroller and the Violin.

Steamroller_Violin_DVD.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Also afterwards is the Steamroller and the Violin.

Steamroller_Violin_DVD.jpg

I am going to record this one with a buffer.  The imdb says it is 46 minutes and TCM has listed it in a 45 minute time slot.

Monday, June 25/26

BritishAgent1934.1209_061920170914.jpg

2 a.m.  British Agent (1934).  Leslie Howard film directed by Michael Curtiz.  Leonard Maltin only rates it 1 1/2 stars.

Tuesday, June 26/27

Martin_aharddaysnight.jpg

1:45 a.m.  A Hard Day’s Night (1964).  Some pretty good tunes in this one.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, June 25/26

BritishAgent1934.1209_061920170914.jpg

2 a.m.  British Agent (1934).  Leslie Howard film directed by Michael Curtiz.  Leonard Maltin only rates it 1 1/2 stars.

Perhaps the most pro-Soviet English-language film prior to The North Star, Days of Glory, and Mission to Moscow. Kay Francis, of all people, talks about working for Lenin as if she were Mary Magdalene talking about Jesus--which, essentially, she is. The British are portrayed as ignorant and incompetent.

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, June 26/27

Martin_aharddaysnight.jpg

1:45 a.m.  A Hard Day’s Night (1964).  Some pretty good tunes in this one.

I love all the Beatles' music, though I think I am a bit more partial to their earlier stuff in the early to mid 60's. Never saw any of their movies. Think I'll have to check this out.

7 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I love all the Beatles' music, though I think I am a bit more partial to their earlier stuff in the early to mid 60's. Never saw any of their movies. Think I'll have to check this out.

Think you'll have to.  ?

It's probably their one GOOD movie (considering they only cameo'ed in "Yellow Submarine")--"Help!"'s filming was squeezed in between tour appearances, and pretty much falls apart into improvisation by the end, "Magical Mystery Tour" is one painful anti-drug PSA, and "Let It Be" is too bitter to watch even if we could see it.  But considering that Monty Python came along the same year the Beatles broke up, John always said Python was the "reincarnation" of the Beatles' rebel spirit.

And then, of course, you have that historical/iconic yes-it-was-THAT-bad Beatlemania climax, with an audience recruited from real London teen fans:

Wednesday, June 27

img_current_613_fg1.png

4:45 p.m.  The Red Balloon (1956).  This French short subject took the world by storm when it was released.  My school board bought a 16mm print and we were subjected to it every so often.  Probably when the teachers needed a break.  I never knew what all the fuss was about.

• Thanks 2

And, of course, The Red Balloon is followed by ...

North By Northwest. Anyone ever see this one????

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, mr6666 said:

anyone catch The Stalker on Imports last Sun. ?

Terrific though ambiguous Russian sci-fi (sort of)

Just don't ask me to explain it ;)

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/4739-stalker-meaning-and-making

& http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/344200/Stalker/articles.html

IT'S AVAILABLE ON TCM ON DEMAND, I thought about watching last night, but (in my old age) subtitles are a challenge for me.

6/27

adhering to the title of this thread, i'll post a HIGHLY RECOMMENDED MISS for a film airing this afternoon:

PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK (1975)

Come at me swinging if you want for this, but I like things to happen in movies I watch.

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

6/27

adhering to the title of this thread, i'll post a HIGHLY RECOMMENDED MISS for a film airing this afternoon:

PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK (1975)

Come at me swinging if you want for this, but I like things to happen in movies I watch.

I loved that movie. Plenty happened. And it looks and sounds gorgeous.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I loved [PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK 1975]. Plenty happened. And it looks and sounds gorgeous.

I did like the sound effects/score and I admit that the titular picnic scene REALLY DID HAVE A WEIRD, INEXPLICABLE EFFECT ON ME! (not entirely unlike what i assume a mild case of vertigo is like)  I DUNNO WHAT IT IS, but i give you that part of the the movie is some legit great psychological manipulation in filmmaking

AMAZON recently did a several episode series remake from Australia, i checked out the first ten minutes of it and thought it was dreadful (A LOT of reliance on voice-over narration and some shoddy production values and showy edits and camera work) it's low-rated too, something like an average of below three stars on amazon's 1-5 scale and lots of people have rated it (the remake, i don't know what the original is rated, but i know it's available too.)

maybe if the 1975 version shows up on demand i give it another looksie....

addendum: the only other time where i recall  "tripping out"  (or "getting spooked" if you will) while watching a scene in a movie in recent history was the scene at the end of GIMME SHELTER.

Thursday, June 28

MV5BMTMzODIwNjgzOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTA2

12:45 p.m.  The Man of La Mancha (1972).  While O’Toole manages okay in Goodbye Mr. Chips (1969) his singing is just dreadful in this repetitive bore.  The only reason to watch this is ...

Sofia+Loren+FOTOGRAMAS.jpg

One other thing that I will say for PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK, while I was not alive in 1900, it's one of those movies that just feels so accurate. The costumes, the make up, the hair – it really is like you're looking inside of a time capsule.