Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,633 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Hibi said:

O'Toole was dubbed, oddly enough.

Yeah, his part was sung by a professional opera tenor.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Yeah,[O'TOOLE's] part was sung [in MAN OF LA MANCHA] by a professional opera tenor.

REALLY!?!?!

My biggest problem with O'TOOLE in the movie is the make-up- IT'S DISTURBING. I know what they were going for (stage makeup + the illustrations from Cervantes) but it's unsettling and it's creepy.

IT'S WORTH MENTIONING, I THINK,  that in same year (1972) that PETER O'TOOLE appeared in MAN OF LA MANCHA, he also did THE RULING CLASS, which is also a dark musical and he is superb in it, even creepier than MAN OF LA MANCHA only this time he's supposed to be- earning the National Board of Review's Best Actor award and a well-deserved Oscar nomination for it as well. 

And thus is the Yin and Yang, SCUD-missile-like career of Peter O'Toole summed up in one particular instance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

REALLY!?!?!

My biggest problem with O'TOOLE in the movie is the make-up- IT'S DISTURBING. I know what they were going for (stage makeup + the illustrations from Cervantes) but it's unsettling and it's creepy.

Yeah, and oddly the voice isn't all that great. Though it sounds close to O'Toole's voice so maybe that's what they were going for.

i love the clips from the interview with O'Toole that has run on TCM over the years, I love the quote about the jacket and the dry cleaners, but i especially love it when he talks about how his singing bankrupted a couple of studios and then they play the clip from GOODBYE, MR CHIPS where he sings...

and I always sing along with "Where diiid my chiildhoooood..." but I let Peter sing the "goooooo?" part alone because no one can touch what he does to that note, not even me, and I have no musical talent whatsoever.

It's like watching a snuff movie starring Being On Key.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i love the clips from the interview with O'Toole that has run on TCM over the years, I love the quote about the jacket and the dry cleaners, but i especially love it when he talks about how his singing bankrupted a couple of studios and then they play the clip from GOODBYE, MR CHIPS where he sings...

and I always sing along with "Where diiid my chiildhoooood..." but I let Peter sing the "goooooo?" part alone because no one can touch what he does to that note, not even me, and I have no musical talent whatsoever.

It's like watching a snuff movie starring Being On Key.

I recommend O'Toole's autobiography Loitering With Intent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Friday, June 29

I get the chronological order bit but it's still an odd film for 9 a.m.

116772_full.jpg

9 a.m.  M (1931).  Fritz Lang’s classic with the one and only Peter Lorre.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Oh my God, it just occurred to me:

Peter O'Toole in "Mandeville Montia"** looks exactly like those creepy plastic people in those god awful Duracell commercials from the 1990s.

auth note: my voice transcription on my phone heard "man of La Mancha" as "Mandeville Montia"and I'm leaving it because it cracks me up.

• Haha 1

Tomorrow night, June 29, has quite a lineup in primetime through the early morning. 

At 8PM ET, the Hammer version  of SHE (1965), starring Ursula Andress.

4148929218_91b562d7b7_o.jpg

Followed by another Hammer offering, 1967's Prehistoric Women with Martine Beswick at 10PM ET.

MARTINA-BESWICK.jpg

Then at 11:45PM ET, Johnny Weissmuller challenges Maria Ouspenskaya to an arm-wrestling contest in Tarzan and the Amazons (1945). 

m534497186.jpg

This cheesy marathon is capped by Queen of Outer Space (1958), 1:15AM ET, starring Zsa Zsa Gabor.

queen-of-outer-space-12.png

Those with insomnia or a DVR can catch this week's TCM Underground installments, featuring blaxploitation classics The Mack (1973), with Max Julien and Richard Pryor, at 2:45AM ET,

mack_poster_03.jpg

followed by Cleopatra Jones (1973), Tamara Dobson and Bernie Casey, at 4:45AM ET. 

cleopatra-jones.jpg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, June 29

116772_full.jpg

Lorre truly turns in one of the greatest performances of his career in this.

In spite of the fact the character's actions make him a monster, he still comes off as pitiful with everybody out to get him. 

Great film.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Peter O'Toole in "Mandeville Montia"** looks exactly like those creepy plastic people in those god awful Duracell commercials from the 1990s.

auth note: my voice transcription on my phone heard "man of La Mancha" as "Mandeville Montia"and I'm leaving it because it cracks me up.

LOL! WTH??? I wondered what you meant......

Saturday night starts off with one of Jean Negulesco's finest films, The Mask of Dimitrios. Imagine Citizen Kane as a film noir; it seems an obvious influence on Dimitrios, in a good way. Peter Lorre gets to play a normal person--well, as normal as a writer can be. Faye Emerson is especially good in a supporting role.

• Thanks 1

I tried watching PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK on TCM ON DEMAND, but there is something seriously wrong with the sound (barely audible)

first time ive had a problem like this with an on-demand movie.

(really was gonna give it a second shot tho)

Saturday, June 30

5.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Two-Alarm Fire (1934).

bb7ce4865fdd06d56fd096e497a06827.jpg

1:30 a.m.  Midnight Express (1978).  Iconic Alan Parker picture with Brad Davis, Randy Quaid and John Hurt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sunday, July 1

c0644e00-0a68-424f-9eff-82ab8d76f16e_fit

Still no Canada Day TCM?  What about featuring some of these people on July 1: Norman Jewison, Marie Dressler, Walter Pidgeon, Mary Pickford, Fay Wray, Walter Huston, John Candy, Glenn Ford, Deanna Durbin, Colleen Dewhurst, William Shatner, Martin Short, James Cameron, Michael J. Fox, Keanu Reeves, Norma Shearer, Christopher Plummer, Donald Sutherland, Leslie Nielsen, Keanu Reeves, Laura Linney, Chief Dan George, Graham Greene, Gary Farmer, David Cronenberg, Hume Cronyn, Yvonne De Carlo, Brendan Fraser, Alexis Smith, Genevieve Bujold, Ryan Gosling, Barry Pepper, Catherine O'Hara, Jim Carrey, Mike Myers, Ellen Page, Anna Paquin, Bruce Greenwood, Raymond Massey, Ivan Reitman, Rody Piper, Kate Nelligan and Raymond Burr.

Alibi-1.jpg

6 a.m.  Alibi Ike (1935).  I’ll go with this Joe E. Brown film for the opportunity to see a young Olivia de Havilland.

• Like 3

On 6/28/2018 at 1:27 PM, Bogie56 said:

Friday, June 29

116772_full.jpg

Such a great movie, and the choice of Greig's "In the Hall of the Mountain King" melody backing up the action, is masterful. I love the fact that supposedly Lang used real people and criminals in the kangaroo court scene at the end.

• Like 2

Monday, July 2

“excuse the soiled sock”

5c9b5fd94104e91e36cb9e3421169afc.jpg

10:30 p.m.  Lolita (1962).  Shelley Winters knocks it out of the park.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, July 2

“excuse the soiled sock”

5c9b5fd94104e91e36cb9e3421169afc.jpg

10:30 p.m.  Lolita (1962).  Shelley Winters knocks it out of the park.

And so does James Mason. I understand though the movie is really a watered down cinematic version of the novel (I haven't read it though). 

The 1997 remake with Jeremy Irons is supposed to be more explicit and faithful to the novel, but I have as of yet to see it.

Even so, you have to admit it was brave of Kubrick to take on a very much taboo topic at the time of a middle-aged man's obsession with an underage girl.

Lolita was such a little minx for her age.

12 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

And so does James Mason. I understand though the movie is really a watered down cinematic version of the novel (I haven't read it though). 

The 1997 remake with Jeremy Irons is supposed to be more explicit and faithful to the novel, but I have as of yet to see it.

Even so, you have to admit it was brave of Kubrick to take on a very much taboo topic at the time of a middle-aged man's obsession with an underage girl.

Lolita was such a little minx for her age.

Yes, read the book sometime, Beth.  Lolita is like 12 or 13 in the novel so, of course, Hollywood had to age her as they did the character in BABY DOLL who should be like 15 or so but I guess the code insisted she be something like 20 years old.

I do love Shelley Winters and James Mason in LOLITA.  They are excellent.  Their wedding night scene is a hoot.

On 6/28/2018 at 10:30 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I apparently blocked out those Duracell commercials.  I Googled it to see what you were talking about, and it's all coming back to me now! This image in particular seems familiar.  This guy reminds me of Fred Gwynne. 

hqdefault.jpg

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I apparently blocked out those Duracell commercials.  I Googled it to see what you were talking about, and it's all coming back to me now! This image in particular seems familiar.  This guy reminds me of Fred Gwynne. 

hqdefault.jpg

The same people who made those commercials made this Primus music video that got a lot of airplay back in the day.

4 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

The same people who made those commercials made this Primus music video that got a lot of airplay back in the day.

Can't say I've ever seen this video or even heard the song.  I would definitely remember both the video and the name of the song.

The plastic people are definitely grotesque looking.  They wouldn't make me want to buy batteries or listen to Primus.

It looks like Joan Blondell is the star of the day tomorrow. Just a warning - you might not want to DVR Broadway Gondolier. There is some kind of awful noise in the audio that messes up even recordings of it. If you are watching it live the hissing is like nails down a blackboard. And, unfortunately, it is not in the Warner Archive, so this is one Blondell/Dick Powell pairing I have not seen.

• Thanks 2

On 6/29/2018 at 1:42 PM, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, June 30

5.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Two-Alarm Fire (1934).

bb7ce4865fdd06d56fd096e497a06827.jpg

1:30 a.m.  Midnight Express (1978).  Iconic Alan Parker picture with Brad Davis, Randy Quaid and John Hurt.

Ever read about the story of Brad Davis' life?  It's pretty tragic.