Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

7,640 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I apparently blocked out those Duracell commercials.  I Googled it to see what you were talking about, and it's all coming back to me now! This image in particular seems familiar.  This guy reminds me of Fred Gwynne. 

hqdefault.jpg

That Creepy (and obnoxiously mean-spirited) Plastic Duracell commercial series was supposed to be cribbing Andy Kaufman and Bernadette Peters' robot makeup from Heartbeeps (1981), which we would know if anyone had ever actually seen that movie  (Which is only tolerable for its John Williams score.)

thumbnailImage

...THAT'S why nobody ever got it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, calvinnme said:

Ever read about the story of Brad Davis' life?  It's pretty tragic.

It is tragic. Anyone dying of AIDS is tragic, but in the early days of the disease, when the afflicted can do little but waste away is very sad indeed.

5 hours ago, calvinnme said:

Ever read about the story of Brad Davis' life?  It's pretty tragic.

Sexual assault by both parents, drug addiction and AIDS - extremely tragic.  

• Sad 1

Not a fan of MIDNIGHT EXPRESS (especially since I know the movie is pretty much 90 percent fiction, despite the  movie's labelling itself 'based on a true story' at the beginning of the movie, the true story was a lot more complex than that, and Hayes' real escape was more more difficult and exciting). 

Having said that, it does sound like Davis had gone through a lot of hell most of his life. Despite the success of MIDNIGHT EXPRESS, his career never really did take off. 

Tuesday, July 3/4

brlza5fnz5ivlrai.jpg

4 a.m.  Meet the People (1944).  Lucille Ball, Dick Powell and Spike Jones and His City Slickers.

Wednesday, July 4

1963-America-America-08.jpg

9:30 a.m.  America America (1963).  Great Elia Kazan film about a time when America welcomed immigrants.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, July 4

9:30 a.m.  America America (1963).  Great Elia Kazan film about a time when America welcomed immigrants.

LOL. Those days are gone.........

7 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, July 4

Although Kazan and cinematographer Haskell Wexler did not get along, both do some wonderful work in this long, flawed but (I'm with you, Bogie) great film. I believe that's Gregory Rozakis at the right of the picture. Reading between the lines, one infers that he, like Brad Davis, died of AIDS.

Thursday, July 5

9:45 p.m.  The Magnificent Seven (1960).  it’s hard to pick one star in this great John Sturges western....  Elmer Bernstein?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

definite miss coming up in about two minutes- THE HOWARDS OF VIRGINIA (1940) with Cary Grant; it's easily the worst non-Betsy Drake movie I've seen him in.

and his wig deserves to be remembered in BAD MOVIE WIG HISTORY.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

definite miss coming up in about two minutes- THE HOWARDS OF VIRGINIA (1940) with Cary Grant; it's easily the worst non-Betsy Drake movie I've seen him in.

and his wig deserves to be remembered in BAD MOVIE WIG HISTORY.

LOL, agreed and agreed!

I mentioned it before, but such earlier period eras such as the Revolutionary War, are one genre that Cary was not cut out for.

• Thanks 1

I don't know if they are hits or misses, but a bunch of TCM premieres are coming up Friday night into Saturday in a tribute to Republic Pictures followed by TCM Underground.

Jul 6 - That Brennan Girl (1946)
Jul 6 - Inside Story, The (1948)
Jul 6 - City That Never Sleeps (1953)

Jul 6 - Trigger Jr*
Jul 6 - I’m Gonna Git You Sucka (1988)
Jul 6 - Brothers (1977)

* I think moviecollector omitted this from his July premiere list, but it does not appear to have played on TCM before according to his database.

• Thanks 2

Some great laughs in I'm Gonna Git You Sucka.  My favorite scene (in fact, one of my favorite comic bits in all of cinema) is a very young Chris Rock in the rib restaurant.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

Some great laughs in I'm Gonna Git You Sucka.  My favorite scene (in fact, one of my favorite comic bits in all of cinema) is a very young Chris Rock in the rib restaurant.

The part with "Cherry" where she takes off her contacts and falsies and fake butt and fake leg and wig to reveal she's bald ("it's great in the summer!") is GOLD

as is the part where Dawnn Lewis has cramps, gets possessed by The Devil and beats the everliving snot out of Damon Wayans, which is actually the one and only time Damon Wayans has ever participated in anything I found funny.

edit- just remembered that last line isn't true. "Man!, kiss my natural black ***" is one of my top 10 favorite movies lines EVER EVER EVER.

Friday, July 6

Republic Rediscovered

01a68cd055fb16c1bb0e1be186f744a7.jpg

8 p.m.  That Brennan Girl (1946).  This one has had some good reviews.  With James Dunn.

movie-poster-advertises-the-east-german-

4:15 a.m.  Brothers (1977).  This looks worth a shot too.

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

The part with "Cherry" where she takes off her contacts and falsies and fake butt and fake leg and wig to reveal she's bald ("it's great in the summer!") is GOLD

as is the part where Dawnn Lewis has cramps, gets possessed by The Devil and beats the everliving snot out of Damon Wayans, which is actually the one and only time Damon Wayans has ever participated in anything I found funny.

edit- just remembered that last line isn't true. "Man!, kiss my natural black ***" is one of my top 10 favorite movies lines EVER EVER EVER.

Yes, the scene with Cherry removing everything is very funny, too.

12 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

Yes, the scene with Cherry removing everything is very funny, too.

"don't MAKE ME hop after YOU!"

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

"don't MAKE ME hop after YOU!"

Lorna, Please stop giving away all the jokes or nobody will watch the movie.  ?

2 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

Lorna, Please stop giving away all the jokes or nobody will watch the move.  ?

I dunno, I think you have to watch the actual scenes to get any of those references even remotely. Plus, is there anyone who hasn't seen IM GONNA GIT YOU SUCKA!?

I mean we are a group of film lovers and it is essential viewing.

• Like 1

Saturday, July 7

Gabriel_Pic.png

noon.  Gabriel Over the White House (1933).  “A crooked President reforms mysteriously.”  IF ONLY!:lol:

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, July 7

Gabriel_Pic.png

noon.  Gabriel Over the White House (1933).  “A crooked President reforms mysteriously.”  IF ONLY!:lol:

i think of this movie often.

highly recommended, even though it's not great, IT'LL BLOW YOUR MIND!!!!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The movie is essentially William Randolph Hearst's prescription for America in the early 30s. He wanted a kind of benevolent dictatorship, apparently. Definitely not like any other movie.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, July 7

Gabriel_Pic.png

Indeed! Especially with our current prez.

• Like 1

anyone seen this?

worth recording?

late Sat., early Sun. 7-8

4:15 AM (ET)      dumb hour, again :rolleyes:
B/W - 127 m

Revolution (1985)

Synopsis: a fur trapper (Pacino) who finds himself connected to the American War of Independence when his son gets drafted into the Continental Army.
DirHugh Hudson CastAl Pacino , Donald Sutherland , Nastassja Kinski .

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/16281/Revolution/articles.html

• Like 1