Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

7,085 posts in this topic

I've always thought Gabriel Over the White House could be interpreted any number of ways.  You can make a case that it's arguing for an FDR-like president to have more unilateral executive power, or you can argue that investing one man with too much power is a hugely dangerous proposition.

I also find it interesting that people always seem to ascribe to it the political views they believe in.  (A lot like Network in that regard.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mr6666 said:

anyone seen this?

worth recording?

late Sat., early Sun. 7-8

4:15 AM (ET)      dumb hour, again :rolleyes:
B/W - 127 m

Revolution (1985)

Synopsis: a fur trapper (Pacino) who finds himself connected to the American War of Independence when his son gets drafted into the Continental Army.
DirHugh Hudson CastAl Pacino , Donald Sutherland , Nastassja Kinski .

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/16281/Revolution/articles.html

No, I have never heard of this. It sounds bizarre, I can't imagine who would think of casting Pacino in a revolutionary war picture.

HUGH HUDSON has had a downright bizarre career. After directing CHARIOTS OF FIRE, he's only directed something like four (!) films, the last was I DREAMED OF AFRICA almost 20 years ago !

Tonight, 7/8 at 2:30 AM

Funny Games

thumb_51093_film_poster_big.jpeg

Last time this was on TCM was during the Story of Film: an Odyssey Series. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sunday, July 8/9

Warped+Ones+03?format=500w

4:30 a.m.  The Warped Ones (1960).  Delinquents, Japanese 60’s style.

• Like 4

Recommendation for Sunday evening: The Admirable Crichton, based on the James Barrie play, is an enjoyable and well-made film. After a shipwreck, the butler proves to be the natural aristocrat and leader of the new society. Some of you won't be surprised that even though she isn't one of the shipwrecked, Martita Hunt still does a lot of scene-stealing.

Overnight, a film with an entirely different tone, dark and grim: The Hill, about a British prison camp for British soldiers during WWII, is one of Sidney Lumet's very best films and, to my mind, one of the top three or four films of 1965. Oswald Morris' stunning black & white cinematography is a huge plus. If there were any doubts that Sean Connery was a fine actor, they were removed by this film. I believe I picked Harry Andrews for best supporting actor of 1965, with Ossie Davis second. Both are great, and there are no weak links in the cast.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Did anyone else notice Ben pronounced Michael Haneke as "Michael Hanukkah?" :huh: 

No doubt somebody will start a thread about that now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Monday, July 9

large_paths_of_glory_blu-ray_7x1.jpg

2:15 p.m.  Paths of Glory (1957).  Fantastic WWI film.  Where was this on Ralph Meeker day?  Starring Fred Bell according to the blurb.

• Like 2

Tuesday, July 10

Nostalgia …

1:30 p.m.  Summer of ’63 (1962).  “Teens on the make spread syphilis among their friends.”  The kids are home from school to see this one.

• Like 1

Tuesday, 10:15 a.m.:

Twenty Plus Two (1961)

I've seen this, and have no idea what the title means. Confusing detective flick with David Janssen. Worth watching just to see Jeanne Crain poured into the tightest black dress in film history. Spoiler: I kept waiting for her to pop out of it but no such luck.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, July 10

Nostalgia …

1:30 p.m.  Summer of ’63 (1962).  “Teens on the make spread syphilis among their friends.”  The kids are home from school to see this one.

Starring Michael Bell (no relation to Fred Bell)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

Starring Michael Bell (no relation to Fred Bell)

Co-starring Ma Bell as his mother. Apparently she really phoned in her performance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TomJH said:

Co-starring Ma Bell as his mother. Apparently she really phoned in her performance.

Rimshot

• Like 2

Wednesday, July 11

Sterling Hayden day.

crimewave13.jpg

9:30 a.m.  Crime Wave (1954).  I’ve never seen this one.  With Timothy Carey and Charles Bronson.

• Thanks 1

Bogie, don't miss Crime Wave. Great cinematography by John Alton, top-notch direction by Andre de Toth, and a solid cast. Plus, yes, TIMOTHY CAREY.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's more like a cameo appearance.........

• Like 1

On 7/9/2018 at 6:51 AM, Gershwin fan said:

Did anyone else notice Ben pronounced Michael Haneke as "Michael Hanukkah?" :huh: 

He's Austrian.  That's pretty much how it's supposed to be pronounced.  (Well, the Americanized pronunciation of "Hanukkah".  As I understand it the Hebrew pronunciation is rather different".)  An "ah" sound for the a and schwas for the e's.

• Like 1

Wednesday, 2:45 PM: Zero Hour!

Impossible to watch this movie now without cracking up and inserting lines from the film which spoofed it, Airplane!

8:00 PM: The Time Of Their Lives

Excellent Abbott & Costello film, which really showcases Lou's acting ability (and Bud is pretty funny as the shrink). Binnie Barnes gets off some good wisecracks, and Gale Sondergaard is terrific as the medium. Great closing gag.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, July 11

Sterling Hayden day.

crimewave13.jpg

9:30 a.m.  Crime Wave (1954).  I’ve never seen this one.  With Timothy Carey and Charles Bronson.

Your assignment sir, should you choose to accept it, is to watch Crime Wave.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2018 at 1:20 PM, kingrat said:

Recommendation for Sunday evening: The Admirable Crichton, based on the James Barrie play, is an enjoyable and well-made film. After a shipwreck, the butler proves to be the natural aristocrat and leader of the new society. Some of you won't be surprised that even though she isn't one of the shipwrecked, Martita Hunt still does a lot of scene-stealing.

Overnight, a film with an entirely different tone, dark and grim: The Hill, about a British prison camp for British soldiers during WWII, is one of Sidney Lumet's very best films and, to my mind, one of the top three or four films of 1965. Oswald Morris' stunning black & white cinematography is a huge plus. If there were any doubts that Sean Connery was a fine actor, they were removed by this film. I believe I picked Harry Andrews for best supporting actor of 1965, with Ossie Davis second. Both are great, and there are no weak links in the cast.

I watched "TAC" and it was wonderful. It has been years since I've seen it but it still holds up. Such an amusing satire and with a superlative cast. Connery's wife is adorable in the film, and as you say, Martita Hunt fabulous and more funny than scary for a change. 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2015 at 12:37 PM, primosprimos said:

Hah! Perfect idea. This one sounds a doozy:

A dowager tries to buy a lobotomy to silence the woman who witnessed her son's murder.

On now. In Suddenly, Last Summer (1959). With my teeth itcher Kate Hepburn and Liz Taylor, whom I don't much like either.

So, where do I go to BUY A LOBOTOMY???????????  :o 

For lobotomy advice, hit the Frances Farmer website or just watch her appearance on "This is Your Life" annals dvd online.

On 5/12/2015 at 12:37 PM, primosprimos said:

Hah! Perfect idea. This one sounds a doozy:

A dowager tries to buy a lobotomy to silence the woman who witnessed her son's murder.

On now. In Suddenly, Last Summer (1959). With my teeth itcher Kate Hepburn and Liz Taylor, whom I don't much like either.

So, where do I go to BUY A LOBOTOMY???????????  :o 

On 7/9/2018 at 9:26 AM, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, July 10

Nostalgia …

With friends like that . . .