Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

7,182 posts in this topic

Thursday, July 12

voltaire-1943-warner-bros-film-with-geor

4:45 p.m.  Voltaire (1933).  Another “crafty, knowing” performance by George Arliss according to the blurb.

• Like 2

Friday, July 13

1112491_1410035058709_500_412.jpg

9:45 p.m.  You Belong to Me (1941).  With Barbara Stanwyck and Henry Fonda.  I haven’t seen this one yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, July 13

1112491_1410035058709_500_412.jpg

9:45 p.m.  You Belong to Me (1941).  With Barbara Stanwyck and Henry Fonda.  I haven’t seen this one yet.

Neither have I. But I loved them in THE LADY EVE, so I have to check this one out.

• Like 1

Friday, July 13:

A pair of Allison Hayes flicks amongst some strange films.

The Disembodied (1957) 8:30 am

Hayes is married to a jungle doctor who is quite a bit older than she is. Pretty boy Paul Burke shows up. So what could go wrong here? Outside of Hayes doing some kind of half-a**ed voodoo dance, there is nothing else to see here.

The Hypnotic Eye (1960) 4:30 pm

Besides Hayes, there are some other good-looking women in the cast. Hayes utters the immortal line "If you like my beautiful face so much, you may have it!" Pay close attention and you will see that someone has used a sexy photo of Jayne Mansfield as a dartboard.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Neither have I. But I loved them in THE LADY EVE, so I have to check this one out.

Dont expect too much. I found the film a big disappointment.....

4 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

Friday, July 13:

A pair of Allison Hayes flicks amongst some strange films.

The Disembodied (1957) 8:30 am

Hayes is married to a jungle doctor who is quite a bit older than she is. Pretty boy Paul Burke shows up. So what could go wrong here? Outside of Hayes doing some kind of half-a**ed voodoo dance, there is nothing else to see here.

The Hypnotic Eye (1960) 4:30 pm

Besides Hayes, there are some other good-looking women in the cast. Hayes utters the immortal line "If you like my beautiful face so much, you may have it!" Pay close attention and you will see that someone has used a sexy photo of Jayne Mansfield as a dartboard.

I saw Eye on tv as a kid and that opening sequence scared me to death!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hibi said:

Dont expect too much. I found the film a big disappointment.....

You said it. It's almost like two bland actors possessed the bodies of Henry Fonda and Barbara Stanwyck for a couple of hours. It is a very dull film.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, calvinnme said:

You said it. It's almost like two bland actors possessed the bodies of Henry Fonda and Barbara Stanwyck for a couple of hours. It is a very dull film.

I know.  I've seen it, too.  Who would've thought?  I blame the writers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

RE: YOU BELONG TO ME

Now in a way, I almost want to see it...the only time I've ever seen Stanwyck off her game is in ANNIE OAKLEY.

• Like 1

I blame the script. Just a run of the mill film........

Maltin's review claims "seems to have been made in three days."

(apparently this may be one of the rare occasions when he's on the money.)

• Like 1

Saturday, July 14

MV5BZDZkNTU4Y2MtNDNmZi00MjkzLWFmNDUtMmY1

2 a.m.  Don’t Look Back (1967).  D.A. Pennebaker’s Bob Dylan film

af7f808c4b3e995ed69af32203166493.jpg

4 a.m.  Festival (1967).  Also with Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash and Pete Seeger.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Maltin's review claims "seems to have been made in three days."

(apparently this may be one of the rare occasions when he's on the money.)

Are you implying Maltin is usually off "the money", Lorna?

Because if you are, then I have just entered your name in my will, for some moola and all my dvd's and also my utmost admiration.

If not, well, just forget what I said...

Sunday, July 15/16

vivre-sa-vie-1200-1200-675-675-crop-0000

2:30 a.m.  Vivre Sa Vie (1962).  It will be interesting to see how this Jean-Luc Godard film holds up today.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, July 15/16

2:30 a.m.  Vivre Sa Vie (1962).  It will be interesting to see how this Jean-Luc Godard film holds up today.

That was the first Godard movie that I saw, and I liked it. I haven't liked much else from him that I've seen.

On 7/13/2018 at 9:50 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

RE: YOU BELONG TO ME

Now in a way, I almost want to see it...the only time I've ever seen Stanwyck off her game is in ANNIE OAKLEY.

I so agree about Annie Oakley. And WHAT does Warner Brothers do when it releases the Stanwyck  Signature  DVD Collection in 2007? Of the five films one is Annie Oakley, one of her worst films, and a second is Executive Suite, which is a good film but Stanwyck was a supporting player in that one. I think Warner Brothers didn't figure that BluRay would gain so much popularity so fast AND didn't figure on streaming coming fast on Blu's heels. Also, just like everyone, they did not see the crash of 2008 coming or the nine year long Depression that followed it. If WB had known that the Signature Collection was their one and only chance to honor Stanwyck, they might have included more substantial films. The same with Cagney's Signature collection.

• Thanks 1

The First Deadly Sin is coming on late this afternoon/early evening and stars Frank Sinatra in his last film performance.  I haven't seen it since I saw it in the theater back  in 1980.  Sinatra is really good as a world-weary cop who has to find a serial killer before he retires.  Faye Dunaway plays his dying wife and isn't given much to do as she's bedridden during the whole film but highly recommended for Sinatra and a fine supporting cast.  Neo-noirish thriller.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last minute recommendation: Return from the Ashes. Not many films have a more stunning opening scene than this one. It's a 1965 Euro-noir with the sexes reversed. Maximilian Schell has the femme fatale role and Ingrid Thulin is a wealthy doctor returning from a concentration camp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Coming on tonight 7/15 at 12:15 is the Sea Hawk 

seahawk1924.16041_050820141237.jpg

Great film. I enjoy it even more than the 1940 version.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

That was the first Godard movie that I saw, and I liked it. I haven't liked much else from him that I've seen.

Vivre sa Vie is a great film but I still prefer Week End and La Chinoise when it comes to Godard.

3 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Vivre sa Vie is a great film but I still prefer Week End and La Chinoise when it comes to Godard.

I haven't seen La Chinoise, but Week End is my favorite Godard movie.

Monday, July 16/17

primary-dvd-cover-md.jpg

5:45 a.m.  Primary (1960).  I’ve wanted to see this short doc that follows JFK for some time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/14/2018 at 7:51 PM, kingrat said:

Last minute recommendation: Return from the Ashes. Not many films have a more stunning opening scene than this one. It's a 1965 Euro-noir with the sexes reversed. Maximilian Schell has the femme fatale role and Ingrid Thulin is a wealthy doctor returning from a concentration camp.

Yes, it was good! But I thought overlong. Hadnt heard of this film.....

Tuesday, July 17

MV5BZWRkOTkxNTEtOTczMi00Yjc4LThhMGYtOWYw

10:45 a.m.  What Price Hollywood?  (1932).  Good George Cukor film with Constance Bennett, Lowell Sherman and Gregory Ratoff.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2018 at 2:53 PM, Bogie56 said:

Monday, July 16/17

primary-dvd-cover-md.jpg

5:45 a.m.  Primary (1960).  I’ve wanted to see this short doc that follows JFK for some time.

I've seen it and recommend it to fans of political history (like me  ?).

• Thanks 1