Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

7,644 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, kingrat said:

A friend of mine was in a play a number of years ago called Womandingo. All of the whites played blacks, the blacks played whites, the men played women, and the women played men.

LOL!

I'd start a MADINGO thread but I think it would last about a hot second. Plus there's a few people who I really don't want to know their opinions on this movie.

i'm sure you all know the scene in RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK where the Nazis open up the Ark and Indiana Jones and Karen Allen are tied to the post and he turns to her and goes "for the love of God Marion: for the love of God whatever you do don't look. Do not look." (or some approximation of that)

and then the **** goes down and people's faces start melting and he is screaming "don't open your eyes Marion!!!! KEEP EM SHUT!!!!"

I feel that way about MANDINGO, only instead of having my eyes closed, they are wide open the whole time while i scream to everybody else "DONT LOOK DONT LOOK" 

I mean, at the end of the day do what you want to do, you're all adults.

but seriously it is some messed up ****. 

• Haha 2

Who would know just by looking at Spacek and Sheen in those photos that they are such deranged people? Her lack of emotion at the death of her dog and her father's murder is just as eerie as he is scary.

• Like 3

Thursday, July 26/27

Papillon.jpg

12:15 a.m.  Papillon (1973).  Both Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman are excellent in this one.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2018 at 7:07 PM, LawrenceA said:

Is it bad that I had no interest in the high-brow Bernstein programming, but I'm planning on recording Mandingo (1975) Wednesday night?

3lXWCXumFeoJQLgW4YiOtTweilO.jpg

Have never seen it(?).  If I have, have forgotten it.  Read the synopsis on Wikipedia and it sounds familiar. Might record it so I can fast forward through it.

22 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Who would know just by looking at Spacek and Sheen in those photos that they are such deranged people? Her lack of emotion at the death of her dog and her father's murder is just as eerie as he is scary.

Exactly! Badlands is very much about the split between the way the girl sees what happens and the way the rest of us (I hope!) see things. One of the best films of the 1970s, with one of the top performances. As great as the directing, the cinematography (by two different people), and the others actors are, I can't really imagine Badlands without Sissy Spacek.

Tonight I've very interested in Tamango. John Berry is the gifted director who made the excellent noir He Ran All the Way, and Dorothy Dandridge's career was tragically brief.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I saw it referred to as "...the torrid TAMANGO" once & have wanted to see it ever since.

Every time I see someone mention Tamango, I think of Matango

One is a drama about a slave ship, the other is about people turning into mushrooms.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Every time I see someone mention Tamango, I think of Matango

One is a drama about a slave ship, the other is about people turning into mushrooms.

Are you putting me on? 

Going to google right now...

43 minutes ago, Hibi said:

So did anyone make it to MANDINGO last night???? :D

I recorded it, so I'll get to it when I watch my 1975 stuff...in several months. :o

• Haha 1

Friday, July 27

jon-voight-paul-winfield-conrack-1974-BP

8 p.m.  Conrack (1974).  With Jon Voight and Paul Winfield.

• Like 2

Saturday, July 28

maxresdefault.jpg

3:30 p.m.  The Professionals (1966).  Top-notch western with Lee Marvin, Burt Lancaster and Robert Ryan.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, July 28

maxresdefault.jpg

3:30 p.m.  The Professionals (1966).  Top-notch western with Lee Marvin, Burt Lancaster and Robert Ryan.

Robert Ryan never looked better than in that picture.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Robert Ryan never looked better than in that picture.

And Claudia Cardinale wasn't bad either! :D

It's interesting that in 1966 for The Professionals Lee Marvin gets top billing (Oscar win for Cat Ballou really boosted his career), with Claudia Cardinale and Robert Ryan also billed ahead of Burt Lancaster, which is somewhat surprising.

For Sunday evening, there's  Phone Call from a Stranger, which is either a TCM premiere or hasn't been shown in a long time. Bette Davis took a supporting role (and a most interesting one) in a film starring her then husband, Gary Merrill. A plane crashes, and we learn about the lives of three of the passengers. The Bette Davis/Keenan Wynn subplot is the one most people remember.

• Like 2