Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,883 posts in this topic

Sunday, July 29/30

hakuchi.jpg

3 a.m.  The Idiot (1951).  I wasn’t that enamoured with this Akira Kurosawa film the first time around but it may be worth a revisit.

• Like 4

On Tuesday it looks like an entire day of precodes - a nice gift to those of us who love them, right before Summer Under The Stars.

Downstairs (1932)
6:00 AM

Loose Ankles (1930)
7:30 AM

She Had To Say Yes (1933)
8:45 AM

Faithless (1932)
10:00 AM

11:30 AM

Safe in Hell (1931)
12:45 PM

Jewel Robbery (1932)
2:00 PM

3:15 PM

4:30 PM

Blonde Crazy (1931)
6:30PM
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great way to end July.  I've seen most of these.  I love the precode era.  It's creative and provocative plus we're introduced to new actors at the beginning of their careers and seeing our silent stars in the new talkie era.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

Great way to end July.  I've seen most of these.  I love the precode era.  It's creative and provocative plus we're introduced to new actors at the beginning of their careers and seeing our silent stars in the new talkie era.

Yes,  bring on the pre-codes.   Funny but just seeing a few of the titles tells one these are pre-codes.  

5 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yes,  bring on the pre-codes.   Funny but just seeing a few of the titles tells one these are pre-codes.  

Yeah, like "Loose Ankles" which I haven't seen so I may watch/record.  Another great thing about precodes is that they don't need 2 or more hours to tell a story.  Usually they're under 90 minutes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

Yeah, like "Loose Ankles" which I haven't seen so I may watch/record.  Another great thing about precodes is that they don't need 2 or more hours to tell a story.  Usually they're under 90 minutes.

That was the main title I was thinking of!   According to Wiki, the film runs 66 - 69 minutes  (oh,  no I see a debate about to happen about which version will TCM show,  ha ha).  

I haven't seen this one either and it has a fine cast with Loretta Young (I like her best in pre-codes), and Douglas Fairbanks Jr.    Note the story was first done as a silent under Ladies At Play.     Oh, those were the days!

Monday, July 30

000252451hr.jpg

10 p.m.  Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore (1974).  Ellen Burstyn gives one of the best performances of the decade in this.

• Like 3

Sunday night/Monday morning: Mademoiselle Fifi, an early Robert Wise film based on a story by Guy de Maupassant. Especially if you like The Journey, you might check this one out. Some interesting moral dilemmas in a story set during the French Revolution.

• Thanks 1

Tuesday, July 31 

image?id=858406709923%26t=50%26plc=WEB%2

2 p.m.  Jewel Robbery (1932).  I’ve recorded it but still haven’t sat down to watch it as yet.  With William Powell.

• Like 3

Wednesday, August 1

Summer under the stars kicks off with old Blue Eyes, the Chairman of the Board

maxresdefault.jpg

11:30 a.m.  Robin and the Seven Hoods (1964).  A bit of fun.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2018 at 12:46 PM, calvinnme said:

On Tuesday it looks like an entire day of precodes - a nice gift to those of us who love them, right before Summer Under The Stars.

Downstairs (1932)
6:00 AM

Loose Ankles (1930)
7:30 AM

She Had To Say Yes (1933)
8:45 AM

Faithless (1932)
10:00 AM

11:30 AM

Safe in Hell (1931)
12:45 PM

Jewel Robbery (1932)
2:00 PM

3:15 PM

4:30 PM

Blonde Crazy (1931)
6:30PM

DAMN! I wish I'd known Jewel Robbery was going to be on. Love that movie! Looks like a good line up too. :(

And Downstairs too! I missed that the last time. :(

On 7/28/2018 at 6:41 PM, ChristineHoard said:

I wouldnt get your hopes up for Loose Ankles. (I've seen it) The title is better than the actual film. (LOL).

14 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I wouldnt get your hopes up for Loose Ankles. (I've seen it) The title is better than the actual film. (LOL).

Are you getting a chance to catch any of these?  I did record LOOSE ANKLES, caught the last 15 minutes of SHE HAD TO SAY YES (saw the scene where Loretta almost gets raped) and all of FAITHLESS because of Ms. Bankhead who didn't make a lot of films and it was interesting.  Her snobby character gets taken down a peg or two.  I've seen the others but I think I'll record JEWEL ROBBERY because it's been a long time since I've seen it.

You missed DOWNSTAIRS again?!?  Pay attention, Hibi, and get your priorities straight.  ?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, August 1

Summer under the stars kicks off with old Blue Eyes, the Chairman of the Board

maxresdefault.jpg

11:30 a.m.  Robin and the Seven Hoods (1964).  A bit of fun.

I agree, it's a fun little film to pass the time with. Frank certainly did have those blue eyes going for him.

15 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

Are you getting a chance to catch any of these?  I did record LOOSE ANKLES, caught the last 15 minutes of SHE HAD TO SAY YES (saw the scene where Loretta almost gets raped) and all of FAITHLESS because of Ms. Bankhead who didn't make a lot of films and it was interesting.  Her snobby character gets taken down a peg or two.  I've seen the others but I think I'll record JEWEL ROBBERY because it's been a long time since I've seen it.

You missed DOWNSTAIRS again?!?  Pay attention, Hibi, and get your priorities straight.  ?

YES! I'm really ticked off! :(

17 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

Nope! Didnt see this until I was at work today. I sometimes forget to check what's on the next day. And today was one of those days. :(

I've seen about half of the films. Some I wouldnt mind seeing again, but the DVR is full, so maybe it's just as well. I wouldnt have minded making room for Downstairs though. :(

At 7:44pm before THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM on Frank Sinatra day is a hard hitting documentary short called A DAY IN THE DEATH OF DONNIE B. from 1969.  It's tough to watch but quite compelling.  

• Thanks 1

Thursday, August 2/3

Myrna Loy

image?id=855472200867%26t=50%26plc=WEB%2

1:45 a.m.  Rebound (1931).  starring Ina Claire.

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, August 2/3

Myrna Loy

image?id=855472200867%26t=50%26plc=WEB%2

1:45 a.m.  Rebound (1931).  starring Ina Claire.

I had forgotten that I had seen this until I wandered over to imdb and noticed I wrote a review of it a couple of years ago! Ah, old age.

P.S. I think this must be something on the Canadian schedule, because it does not appear on the American one.  We have "The Thin Man" at 1:45 am EST. Are you Canadians frozen out of The Thin Man series like you seem to be frozen out of Laurel and Hardy?

Getting ahead just a bit because it's back to work for me tomorrow.

Friday  August 3 is Lionel Atwill day, and the TCM premiere (I think) of "Secret of the Blue Room" (1933)  is on at 9:30PM EST. Three men vie for the hand of a beautiful girl  (Gloria Stuart) by showing their bravery and sleeping in "The Blue Room" where three people have died or disappeared doing the same. Things do not go well. Meanwhile the butler is signalling somebody out in the darkness and  Stuart's character's dad (Lionel Atwill) is making trips in the middle of the night to meet someone. It's a Universal film from the Laemmle era, so you probably won't get a chance to see this again unless you buy the Universal MOD. Enjoy.

P.S. It's a tough slog getting through Ms. Stuart's singing at the beginning, but if you can manage that, it is definitely worthwhile viewing with great atmosphere.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The first day to interest me is Audrey Totter day, though I might record Devil Is A Woman on Atwill day....

• Like 1

For Myrna Loy Day on Thursday: Stamboul Quest is one of the rare films where George Brent seems to have some sex appeal. He and Myrna make a surprisingly good couple.

21 hours ago, calvinnme said:

I had forgotten that I had seen this until I wandered over to imdb and noticed I wrote a review of it a couple of years ago! Ah, old age.

P.S. I think this must be something on the Canadian schedule, because it does not appear on the American one.  We have "The Thin Man" at 1:45 am EST. Are you Canadians frozen out of The Thin Man series like you seem to be frozen out of Laurel and Hardy?

Yes I see you are right.  Canada gets Rebound while the U.S.  gets The Thin Man.  I have no idea why that is the case as The Thin Man series has been run many times in Canada.

Friday, August 3

Lionel Atwill

MV5BYTYxMGI5ZTUtM2Q0Yi00Njc0LTk3ZTgtY2Ew

9:30 p.m.  Secret of the Blue Room (1933).  with Gloria Stuart.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, kingrat said:

For Myrna Loy Day on Thursday: Stamboul Quest is one of the rare films where George Brent seems to have some sex appeal. He and Myrna make a surprisingly good couple.

DAMN! I didnt realize that was on. I dozed off the first time and missed part of it. I bet its on during the daytime hours. :(