Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,921 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Hibi said:

DAMN! I didnt realize that was on. I dozed off the first time and missed part of it. I bet its on during the daytime hours. :(

It's on late tonight/early tomorrow...3:30 AM ET.

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, August 3

Lionel Atwill

MV5BYTYxMGI5ZTUtM2Q0Yi00Njc0LTk3ZTgtY2Ew

9:30 p.m.  Secret of the Blue Room (1933).  with Gloria Stuart.

This one's a premiere too. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

It's on late tonight/early tomorrow...3:30 AM ET.

Yes, I couldnt believe it! (I checked after) Thanks. I lucked out this time!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gershwin fan said:

Glad its on at night..........

1 hour ago, Gershwin fan said:

I'm really looking forward to seeing that again! Thanks so much...

20 hours ago, kingrat said:

For Myrna Loy Day on Thursday: Stamboul Quest is one of the rare films where George Brent seems to have some sex appeal. He and Myrna make a surprisingly good couple.

Yes, if I do say so myself!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

I'm really looking forward to seeing [SECRET OF THE BLUE ROOM] again! Thanks so much...

did you like it the first time you saw it?

if any of you aRE looking for an utterly gorgeous but otherwise pretty bad movie, there is THE DEVIL IS A WOMAN on at 4:15 today.

also, while i've seen it a lot and i don't think it's as good as HOUSE OF WAX (1954), MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM (1933) is not a bad way to kill a little over an hour at 8:00 pm.

Yes, Marlene at her most beautiful and gorgeous gowns. But not a great film, though it was her favorite of all her films with von Sternberg.....great photography too.

Saturday, August 4

Clint Eastwood

41af9fd4073724d6561f7ab4a25724ee--movie-

12:15 p.m.  A Fistful of Dollars (1964).  Gian Maria Volonte adds some depth to this western.

• Like 2

The First Traveling Saleslady, at 6:00 AM.  Ginger Rogers plays the saleslady, trying to sell barbed wire in the old West.  Clint Eastwood gets romantically paired, not with Rogers, but with... Carol Channing.  :o

Channing also sings the song "A Corset Can Do a Lot for a Lady", and she already sounds 60, even though she was only about 35 at the time.

3 hours ago, Hibi said:

Yes, Marlene at her most beautiful and gorgeous gowns. But not a great film, though it was her favorite of all her films with von Sternberg.....great photography too.

FOR REAL?!

Did she never see SHANGHAI EXPRESS?!

On 8/3/2018 at 8:37 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

did you like it the first time you saw it?

I think I have amnesia about the first time, other than knowing I did see it. Did watch it last night and was a bit disappointed. Maybe I was expecting too much?

10 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

I think I have amnesia about the first time, other than knowing I did see it. Did watch it last night and was a bit disappointed. Maybe I was expecting too much?

yup. review is in I JUST WATCHED thread.

• Thanks 1

Sunday, August 5

Katharine Hepburn

SUDDENLY_UNDER-TEXT2050.jpg

4 p.m.  Suddenly, Last Summer (1960).  Tennessee Williams play co-starring Elizabeth Taylor and Montgomery Clift.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The dollars trilogy is very good but I never noticed how terrible Klaus Kinski's dubbing is in it.

klaus-kinski-for-a-few-dollars-more.jpg

He sounds like a hillbilly! :lol: 

• Thanks 1

Monday, August 6

Audrey Totter

Tension+film+noir+1949.jpg

8 p.m.  Tension (1950).  Murder mystery co-starring a young Richard Basehart.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

ah, KATE HEPBURN gets her 103rd SUTS day...

it's cool, i like her (raaally I do) and most everything on today is decent- only thing I'd recommend if you haven't seen it is WITHOUT LOVE (1945) on at 1:15 am- along with [the excellent] THE SEA OF GRASS and [the surprising] KEEPER OF THE FLAME- it's among the least known of the TRACY/HEPBURN pairings and I like it better than ADAM'S RIB or GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER?

(although, to be fair, I don't like either of those movies particularly. WITHOUT LOVE is all right tho, although it's a little long and somber for an ostensible comedy.)

image.png.9856f71fb4ed0565ac03b271e609bd96.pngFor AUDREY TOTTER day tho...

just about everything on tomorrow is pretty much worth catching- although in some cases, more for AUDREY (who is FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS in EVERYTHING I'VE SEEN HER IN) than anything else (TENSION and THE LADY IN THE LAKE spring to mind right off.)

at 10:00 pm, I might give THE HIGH WALL (1947) a second chance...it's directed by CURTIS BERNHARDT, who I respect, and it's got AUDREY AND HERBERT MARSHALL.

Unfortunately it also has ROBERT TAYLOR, and he just about (as I recall) ruins the film completely- WHICH IS A SHAME- because it's got a grand premise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

(i don't know how it appears on some of your screens, but AUDREY'S PIC and MY AVATAR look like they're NOT SPEAKING TO EACH OTHER EVER AGAIN BECAUSE MY AVATAR BORROWED AUDREY'S SLIP AND ACTED LIKE SHE DIDN'T KNOW IT.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I like Katharine Hepburn, and have seen many of her movies.  Right now Buddy the bird and I are watching The Philadelphia Story which I've seen a billion times, but I still enjoy it.  I've seen it in the theater and own it on Criterion.  

I recorded Mary of Scotland (which I haven't seen).  I haven't seen Morning Glory and Little Women yet either, but I didn't record them because I believe they're part of the 4-movie TCM Katharine Hepburn set I own.  I'm also recording Without Love which I've seen, because it also co-stars Lucille Ball and I'd like to see it again. Finally, I also recorded The Madwoman of Chaillot because it sounded interesting.

Of the movies scheduled today, I recommend: The Philadelphia Story, Desk Set and Stage Door.  I also like Bringing Up Baby, even though it seems rather polarizing on these boards. 

Audrey Totter's day looks fantastic.  I think I'm recording almost all of the noir films: Man in the Dark, The Sell-Out, The Set-Up, Tension, and High Wall.  I'm also recording Lady in the Lake even though I've seen it 2-3 times already.  With Dark Passage so fresh in my mind, I want to re-explore Lady in the Lake and the film's use of first person perspective. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

(i don't know how it appears on some of your screens, but AUDREY'S PIC and MY AVATAR look like they're NOT SPEAKING TO EACH OTHER EVER AGAIN BECAUSE MY AVATAR BORROWED AUDREY'S SLIP AND ACTED LIKE SHE DIDN'T KNOW IT.)

If my avatar was next to Audrey's pic, it would look like Errol just said something really cheeky, which disgusted Audrey.  Errol would just stare at the camera unapologetically, as if he were thinking "some women have no sense of humor." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

LADY IN THE LAKE is just too gimmicky for me. As a child I REALLY enjoyed the CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE series, but in film form the premise just don't work.

Of course you all know that if I try to watch HIGH WALL and end up quitting because of Robert Taylor's wooden acting I'll probably be prattling on and on about it for about three or four days.

itll be PARTY GIRL all over again.