Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,865 posts in this topic

It may be a bit late to chime in on this, but I enjoyed and recommend Where East Is East. It starts off the Lupe Velez day (8/14) at 6:00 AM ET.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to probably have to record THE HALF NAKED TRUTH.

the title + Lupe + Lee Tracy + LaCava - I hope any of LaCava's CAPRACORNY tendencies = something I need to see.

Thanks for airing it at four in the ******* morning, someone.

OOPS EDITED TO ADD- IT'S ACTUALLY ON AT HALF PAST MIDNIGHT. THANKS FOR GETTING YOUR ******* FACTS STRAIGHT: ME.

(SELF-FLAGELLATING RIGHT NOW)

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

True. Most people think Garbo said "I vont to be alone" in Grand Hotel, but she had already said that line months earlier as a reaction to being crowded by Brent's rear end.

LOL! Good one.

Wednesday, August 15

Peter Finch

somber-liv-ullmann-and-peter-finch-in-a-

8 a.m.  The Abdication (1974).  with Liv Ullmann.  Haven’t seen this one.

Network5.jpg

11:45 p.m.  Network (1976).  I’m giving this a miss because like a lot of serious thespians I don’t like to watch myself in movies.  I’m the handsome dude in the audience of the Howard Beale show.

• Haha 1

Yes, want to record Abdication and Sunday, Bloody, Sunday, but I fear Sunday will be the edited version. The last time I recorded it, it was and I deleted w/out watching. DVR is full, something's got to give! :(

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I'm going to probably have to record THE HALF NAKED TRUTH.

the title + Lupe + Lee Tracy + LaCava - I hope any of LaCava's CAPRACORNY tendencies = something I need to see.

Thanks for airing it at four in the ******* morning, someone.

OOPS EDITED TO ADD- IT'S ACTUALLY ON AT HALF PAST MIDNIGHT. THANKS FOR GETTING YOUR ******* FACTS STRAIGHT: ME.

(SELF-FLAGELLATING RIGHT NOW)

Debating on this one. Cant stand Lee Tracy............

11 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Debating on this one. Cant stand Lee Tracy............

REALLY?

I guess I can understand that, but honest to GOD: I love him to PIECES in DINNER AT EIGHT and BOMBSHELL and DR X and THE BEST MAN and a few I might be forgetting, and yes, I have heard the story about VIVA VILLA! and the extras.

mind you: I'm not attracted to him, it's not a PHILLIPS HOLMES-type situation where I am BLINDED BY LOVE into crying "AUTEUR!" where it is unmerited , I just feel like LEE TRACY was one of those great Depression-Era actors who, dammit, if he was in it, he was gonna make sure you got you six bits** worth.

**or whatever the Hell it cost to see a talking picture circa 1933.

• Like 1

It's just the type of characters he plays. Just a turn off to me. Nothing to do with his acting........I can stand him in a supporting role, but it's an endurance test if he's a leading man...........

46 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, August 15

Peter Finch

somber-liv-ullmann-and-peter-finch-in-a-

8 a.m.  The Abdication (1974).  with Liv Ullmann.  Haven’t seen this one.

Network5.jpg

11:45 p.m.  Network (1976).  I’m giving this a miss because like a lot of serious thespians I don’t like to watch myself in movies.  I’m the handsome dude in the audience of the Howard Beale show.

Which handsome dude, pray tell? :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hibi said:

Which handsome dude, pray tell? :D

The most handsome of course! :lol:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

REALLY?

I guess I can understand that, but honest to GOD: I love him to PIECES in DINNER AT EIGHT and BOMBSHELL and DR X and THE BEST MAN and a few I might be forgetting, and yes, I have heard the story about VIVA VILLA! and the extras.

mind you: I'm not attracted to him, it's not a PHILLIPS HOLMES-type situation where I am BLINDED BY LOVE into crying "AUTEUR!" where it is unmerited , I just feel like LEE TRACY was one of those great Depression-Era actors who, dammit, if he was in it, he was gonna make sure you got you six bits** worth. 

**or whatever the Hell it cost to see a talking picture circa 1933.

If you ever get a chance to watch "Washington Merry Go Round" and you like Tracy, it is a treat. It is a cynical ancestor to Mr. Smith Goes To Washington. Phillips Holmes had a rather tragic shooting star life/career. He only lived to be 35. Most of his best roles were at Paramount, so we don't get to see much of him on TCM. Moving from Paramount to MGM was apparently a bad career move for him. There's something about Holmes that really reminds me of Tony Goldwyn when he was young.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Peter Finch Day has everything from the greatness of The Nun's Story to the stupefying badness of The Legend of Lylah Clare. I Thank a Fool isn't very good--why did anyone think that was a good title?--but next to Lylah it looks like [insert name of one of the movies you respect the most].

High marks to TCM for giving No Love for Johnnie a featured place in the lineup. Peter Finch was in a lot of interesting movies.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, calvinnme said:

If you ever get a chance to watch "Washington Merry Go Round" and you like Tracy, it is a treat. It is a cynical ancestor to Mr. Smith Goes To Washington. Phillips Holmes had a rather tragic shooting star life/career. He only lived to be 35. Most of his best roles were at Paramount, so we don't get to see much of him on TCM. Moving from Paramount to MGM was apparently a bad career move for him. There's something about Holmes that really reminds me of Tony Goldwyn when he was young.

Ever notice how moving to MGM from another studio like Paramount or RKO ruined careers?  And if not ruined, at least lessened or were bad career moves like calvinnme said. MGM may have had more stars than there were in heaven but didn't know what to do with some of them.

2 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

Ever notice how moving to MGM from another studio like Paramount or RKO ruined careers?  And if not ruined, at least lessened or were bad career moves like calvinnme said. MGM may have had more stars than there were in heaven but didn't know what to do with some of them.

It was a bad career move for Warren William, although he somewhat recovered later. I can't really blame MGM for what happened to Lee Tracy, since what happened in Mexico while filming Viva Villa was really his own doing. Buster Keaton's career was completely ruined at MGM. MGM wanted him to fit into their film assembly line model, and doing it caused him to become a hopeless alcoholic since he was so accustomed to creative independence prior to that.  Charles Bickford came to MGM to do Dynamite when he already had a successful stage career, then after that film he got baited and switched into a bunch of inferior productions.  I'm sure there are others that I just can't think of right now.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hibi said:

Did they coach you on how to act?

No, Sidney was trying his best to get a performance out of that Australian bloke centre stage.  It was literally "darling this" and "sweetheart that."  At the time I wondered if he was gay but later figured it was show biz talk. Being the consummate professional that I am I didn't need as much attention as Mr. Finch.

Excuse me if you have heard this story before but when we wrapped Mr. Finch caught the eye of an elderly lady seated just in front of me and came over.  She said to him, "oh, Mr. Finch I just know that you are going to win an Academy Award for this."  He took her hand and said "that's very kind but you mustn't say such things.  It's bad luck."  Later I mused on the irony of this as they were both correct.  Peter Finch did win the Academy Award but as fate would have it it would be posthumously.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

Yeah, that was true for a good number of people. Maybe they should have said  MANY MORE STARS THAN THERE ARE IN HEAVEN.........TOO MANY!

14 hours ago, kingrat said:

Peter Finch Day has everything from the greatness of The Nun's Story to the stupefying badness of The Legend of Lylah Clare. I Thank a Fool isn't very good--why did anyone think that was a good title?--but next to Lylah it looks like [insert name of one of the movies you respect the most].

High marks to TCM for giving No Love for Johnnie a featured place in the lineup. Peter Finch was in a lot of interesting movies.

LOL. Yeah, I THANK A FOOL isn't exactly a title that will lure people into the theater. Wasnt a good movie either....though better than Lylah Clare! :D

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

No, Sidney was trying his best to get a performance out of that Australian bloke centre stage.  It was literally "darling this" and "sweetheart that."  At the time I wondered if he was gay but later figured it was show biz talk. Being the consummate professional that I am I didn't need as much attention as Mr. Finch.

Excuse me if you have heard this story before but when we wrapped Mr. Finch caught the eye of an elderly lady seated just in front of me and came over.  She said to him, "oh, Mr. Finch I just know that you are going to win an Academy Award for this."  He took her hand and said "that's very kind but you mustn't say such things.  It's bad luck."  Later I mused on the irony of this as they were both correct.  Peter Finch did win the Academy Award but as fate would have it it would be posthumously.

No, I hadnt heard that story. Ironic indeed. :(

Thursday, August 16

Miriam Hopkins

1935-Barbary-Coast-Edward-G-Robinson-Mir

noon.  Barbary Coast (1935).  with Edward G. Robinson.

• Thanks 1

Tomorrow is Miriam Hopkins day! I'd start out with "The Stranger Returns". This is just a nice calming film with a very calm Miriam Hopkins and Lionel Barrymore. It's a precode, but still pretty tame stuff for 1933. A slice of life film that seems to be a well kept secret. "Splendor" is not a unique film - the old story of rich guy marries poor girl  - but it is one of the Goldwyn films that WB has available for distribution for awhile. You might want to watch it before it disappears again. "The Old Maid" has Miriam and Bette Davis as rivals for the same guy (George Brent) who makes a much better memory than he ever would have made a husband. Yet he lingers in the brains of these two for the rest of their lives.  "Old Acquaintance" has Miriam and Bette as old friends who are rival writers. Bette writes quality stuff and Miriam pounds out trashy romance novels. Miriam's stuff is very profitable but still she is jealous of Bette. "Trouble in Paradise" is an Ernst Lubitsch film that manages to make Herbert Marshall sexy!  Marshall and Miriam are thieves in love out to fleece Kay Francis when Marshall begins to have feelings for her. As for "These Three" - don't bother. This is Exhibit A in how the production code could ruin a perfectly good play adapted for the screen. "The Story of Temple Drake" is a great precode that gives a very realistic portrayal of PTSD. And it probably ruined the career of Jack LaRue because he was so realistic in his portrayal of a complete brute. Rouben Mamoulian directs  the precode version of "Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" with Fredric March in the title role. Miriam plays Ivy who will always regret sexily telling Dr. Jekyll to "come back" one night when he makes a legit house call.

TCM - please try to get Universal to clean up and digitize 1931's "24 Hours". It has Kay Francis and Miriam Hopkins as two very different kinds of women who have Kay's husband in common and proves it can be a small world even in the big city.  If you ever have some time and you can find it on youtube, give it a look. Plus Miriam Hopkins pounds out a song in a nightclub. Highly recommended.

• Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

Tomorrow is Miriam Hopkins day! I'd start out with "The Stranger Returns". This is just a nice calming film with a very calm Miriam Hopkins and Lionel Barrymore. It's a precode, but still pretty tame stuff for 1933. A slice of life film that seems to be a well kept secret.

I'll have to see The Stranger Returns, just to check out what a 'very calm Miriam Hopkins' looks like!

FYI,  I'm a fan of Hopkins;  she was in many first rate films and even when she does goes over-the-top (e.g. "Old Acquaintance"),  she finds a way to still make that work (one reason being the mostly 'very calm' Bette Davis as a contrast to Miriam).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

Then there are people like Gloria Grahame whom I believe started at MGM and it wasn't until she went to other studios that her career took off. 

17 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

I would have to do a very intensive review of actors moving from other studios to MGM during the studio era to determine if what you say you 'notice' is actually the truth (as compared to say an actors moving from a studio to a studio other then MGM).

My gut tells me that MGM isn't an exception;  I.e. actors career often 'go south' after moving from the studio they were under contract with the longest to another studio,  with the basic reasons related to why the the 'home' studio didn't re-sign the actor in the first place.   E.g. age,  the actor is no only 'hot' with the public,  the actors' screen persona \ style is no longer favored by the public etc... 

But as was noted MGM did have more actor under contract than any other studio and that competition would naturally lead to less 'first rate' parts for all the actors under contract.