Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,867 posts in this topic

On 8/24/2018 at 10:55 AM, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, August 25

Carroll Baker

bridgetothesun1961_64_678x380_0214201401

10 p.m.  Bridge to the Sun (1961).  Inter-racial love story with James Shigeta.

If I was ever a guest programmer, this is one of the films that I would pick. It shows the strains and prejudices of war from both the American and Japanese viewpoint through the filter of one couple in love, trying to be a family, who just have the bad luck of falling in love a few years before the attack on Pearl Harbor. I don't know if this is the best thing Carol Baker ever did, but I think it is the best film she was ever in. I highly recommend it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

If I was ever a guest programmer, this is one of the films that I would pick. It shows the strains and prejudices of war from both the American and Japanese viewpoint through the filter of one couple in love, trying to be a family, who just have the bad luck of falling in love a few years before the attack on Pearl Harbor. I don't know if this is the best thing Carol Baker ever did, but I think it is the best film she was ever in. I highly recommend it.

They should show this film and then The Crimson Kimono also with James Shigeta.   This Sam Fuller noir film is first rate  "it featured several ahead-of-its-time ideas about race and society's perception of race, a thematic and stylistic trademark of Fuller.".

• Like 2

For Anthony Quinn, I'd also recommend A High Wind in Jamaica, which I believe is a TCM premiere.

• Thanks 1

To my mind, Carroll Baker's performance is the weakest element of Bridge to the Sun. I wish James Shigeta had a stronger leading lady, because it's a fascinating story. In general, I'm not a fan of Baker, though she is much better than usual in Something Wild.

So many good films on Anthony Quinn's day. Like Bogey and Lawrence, I want to see The 25th Hour, which I've never heard of. I wish Warlock were on at a better time. Great cinematography, good story, strong cast, and where else do you get to see Quinn in love with Henry Fonda (not spelled out, but important to the story)?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Monday, August 27

Agnes Moorehead

1456508933.png

8 p.m.  The Magnificent Ambersons (1942).  Perhaps Ms. Morrehead’s finest screen performance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tuesday, August 28

Lew Ayres

MV5BNTU1OTA3N2ItZDZkMC00ODdmLWEwYjMtMjVm

10:30 p.m.  The Last Train From Madrid (1937).  Looks like ti might be quite entertaining.  With Dorothy Lamour, Anthony Quinn and Gilbert Roland.

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, August 28

Lew Ayres

MV5BNTU1OTA3N2ItZDZkMC00ODdmLWEwYjMtMjVm

10:30 p.m.  The Last Train From Madrid (1937).  Looks like ti might be quite entertaining.  With Dorothy Lamour, Anthony Quinn and Gilbert Roland.

This film should have been on Quinn day. While he gets low billing in Last Train from Madrid he is, in fact, one of the main characters in the production, perhaps more so than Lew Ayres.

• Thanks 2

Today is LEW AYRES day...

it's been quiet, so I'mma go out on a limb and say this: LEW AYRES was supercute and his biography is really interesting and he just strikes me as the sort of guy that, had his and my paths crossed, i would've gotten along with really, really well (he was super liberal) he maybe could've even couldn't talked me into at least applying for a Worker's of the World membership card against my better senses...

all that said, he really was not the greatest actor.

discuss if you wish, or come at me if you must.

Wednesday, August 29/30

Lauren Bacall

lauren-bacall-2-660.jpg

4 a.m.  Confidential Agent (1945).  I’ve always enjoyed this one.  I like the fact that Charles Boyer doesn’t seem up to the challenges.

1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, August 29/30

Lauren Bacall

lauren-bacall-2-660.jpg

4 a.m.  Confidential Agent (1945).  I’ve always enjoyed this one.  I like the fact that Charles Boyer doesn’t seem up to the challenges.

Boyer is one of my favorites, and the movie is good, and I love Bacall and think she should've been nominated for TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT, but all that being said- she really isn't good in this film (which was, I think, her immediate follow-up to TO HAVE...)

And I know it came close to derailing her career.

I guess it was just a case of nerves after such a huge triumph at such a young age, because she rebounded with THE BIG SLEEP well enough, although she seems reserved in her work for the rest of the decade.

Hello, everyone.  I'm new to this site and I realize that Dana Andrews' day and comments about it have passed, but I wanted to add my two cents and say that I skipped The Oxbow Incident, because I find it so very disturbing and upsetting to watch.  I suppose that speaks to the fact that the movie and the people in it did their jobs.

[Also, I have a moviewatcher's dilemma when it comes to Andrews -- I like his acting and I like his films, but I don't like his face very much, so I don't go out of my way to see him.  I have the same problem with David Niven and a few others.  It's strictly a matter of taste, isn't it?]

Confidential Agent also has an outstanding performance by the teen-aged Wanda Hendrix and a memorable performance by Katina Paxinou, who does not do subtlety. Over-the-top evil, however . . . .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, kingrat said:

Confidential Agent also has an outstanding performance by the teen-aged Wanda Hendrix and a memorable performance by Katina Paxinou, who does not do subtlety. Over-the-top evil, however . . . .

Very true.   It is Bacall that appears out of place, showing how inexperienced she was at the time.  

1 hour ago, kingrat said:

A good part of the shock of that scene, aside from the evil of Paxinou's performance, is what happens to a teenage girl, something extremely rare in the Hollywood production code days.

I sure hope the version of "All Quiet on the Western Front" is the sound version and not the silent one TCM has shown, at least the last 2 times I tried to watch it.  I know the sound quality wasn't the best, if I remember correctly, so I'm hoping TCM showed the silent versions in lieu of the poor sound version while it underwent some audio restoration?  It's coming on in less than 45 minutes, so I guess I'll get my answer then!

1 minute ago, midwestan said:

I sure hope the version of "All Quiet on the Western Front" is the sound version and not the silent one TCM has shown, at least the last 2 times I tried to watch it.  I know the sound quality wasn't the best, if I remember correctly, so I'm hoping TCM showed the silent versions in lieu of the poor sound version while it underwent some audio restoration?  It's coming on in less than 45 minutes, so I guess I'll get my answer then!

The version I have on blu-ray has excellent sound, and it's several years old, so they should have no problem securing a version with good sound.

• Thanks 1

Thursday, August 30/31

Marcello Mastroianni

placeforlovers1969.375_052020141019.jpg

4:30 a.m.  A Place For Lovers (1969).  with Faye Dunaway and directed by Vittorio De Sica.  I haven’t see this one yet.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, August 30/31

Marcello Mastroianni

4:30 a.m.  A Place For Lovers (1969).  with Faye Dunaway and directed by Vittorio De Sica.  I haven’t see this one yet.

There are quite a few on Marcello day that I haven't seen: the aforementioned A Place for Lovers, as well as The Priest's WifeGinger and FredA Slightly Pregnant ManFamily DiaryThe Organizer, and The Pizza Triangle

I'm considering just recording them all, but does anyone have any comments about which are keepers or any that should be missed?

• Thanks 1

A lot of obscure titles. I know A Place for Lovers was a big flop (in the U.S., unsure how it did overseas) Some of the films I vaguely remember (but didnt see) Some of them sound bad just from the titles. (The Pizza Triangle? A Slightly Pregnant Man?) I wouldnt get your hopes too high for those two........

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

There are quite a few on Marcello day that I haven't seen: the aforementioned A Place for Lovers, as well as The Priest's WifeGinger and FredA Slightly Pregnant ManFamily DiaryThe Organizer, and The Pizza Triangle

I'm considering just recording them all, but does anyone have any comments about which are keepers or any that should be missed?

Well, I have all of them but not had the chance to see all of them yet.  Family Diary, The Organizer and Ginger and Fred are keepers because of his performances.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Like you, I haven't seen quite a bit of them but I am recording all. At the very least the late 60s and 70s titles will help fill my lists in the foreign film thread. ;) :lol: 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Ginger and Fred is one of may favorite films of all time. Don’t miss that one. Haven’t see the others but I’ve always wanted to see A Slightly Pregnant Man. 

• Thanks 3