Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,631 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Like you, I haven't seen quite a bit of them but I am recording all. At the very least the late 60s and 70s titles will help fill my lists in the foreign film thread. ;) :lol: 

I think Ginger and Fred is late Fellini, so that may be worth watching.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lawrence, the only film on your list I've seen is The Organizer, and that one is not to be missed. Mastroianni has a great role in a solid story, Mario Monicelli's direction is outstanding, and the re-creation of a nineteenth-century factory is superb. Top marks to the set designer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

eye roll if you must, but i'm going to be quite sorry to see SUMMER UNDER THE STARS end after tomorrow.

i know a lot of us don't care for that other month long festival on TCM, but I always find myself enjoying most of the August line-up.

all that said, I don't see many titles on as part of tomorrow's JOAN CRAWFORD FILME FESTIVALE that I recommend outside of SUDDEN FEAR (1952), which is so much fun. and maybe TORCH SONG for you horror afficianadoes out there.

She is terrific in RAIN (1932) and possibly gave her finest performance in HUMORESQUE (1946)- but I don't particularly like either of those movies; and I don't recommend a trio of her MGM films- WHEN LADIES MEET, THE LAST OF MRS CHEYNEY and MANNEQUIN

and I am so tired of STRAITJACKET and BABY JANE. Like done. Over. They need to swap those two in the underground storage locker and free LETTY LYNTON at last for the rest of us to see.

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

eye roll if you must, but i'm going to be quite sorry to see SUMMER UNDER THE STARS end after tomorrow.

i know a lot of us don't care for that other month long festival on TCM, but I always find myself enjoying most of the August line-up.

all that said, I don't see many titles on as part of tomorrow's JOAN CRAWFORD FILME FESTIVALE that I recommend outside of SUDDEN FEAR (1952), which is so much fun. and maybe TORCH SONG for you horror afficianadoes out there.

She is terrific in RAIN (1932) and possibly gave her finest performance in HUMORESQUE (1946)- but I don't particularly like either of those movies; and I don't recommend a trio of her MGM films- WHEN LADIES MEET, THE LAST OF MRS CHEYNEY and MANNEQUIN

and I am so tired of STRAITJACKET and BABY JANE. Like done. Over. They need to swap those two in the underground storage locker and free LETTY LYNTON at last for the rest of us to see.

Yes, Baby Jane has been done to death. Straitjacket is getting pretty close. I'm glad Torch Song is on again and I plan to watch Sudden Fear (again). And Harriet Craig is worth watching too (after it). I havent seen the film after Craig in a long time (I've forgotten the title) So It might be a triple bill!

I'm happy to have NOIR ALLEY back. If they scaled back Stars and didnt make it 24 hrs/day. I would like it better....

Yeah, poor Letty. Unseen (except in bootleg copies) for like 80 years........:(

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yes, Baby Jane has been done to death. Straitjacket is getting pretty close. I'm glad Torch Song is on again and I plan to watch Sudden Fear (again). And Harriet Craig is worth watching too (after it). I havent seen the film after Craig in a long time (I've forgotten the title) So It might be a triple bill!

that would be GOODBYE, MY FANCY (1951)

I say this as a Fan of CRAWFORD: it suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

CRAWFORD as shopgirl? Yes.

CRAWFORD as carnival girl? Sure.

CRAWFORD as middle-aged congresswoman named "Agatha"? No, thanks. And the script is like the bad parts of BORN YESTERDAY, only less funny and more preachy about its high fallutin' ideals (it was by Garson Kanin's sister, I think)

HARRIET CRAIG is fun though, it's one of her most masculine performances (so many to choose from, I know!)

• Like 1

LOL. Yes, the Fancy title came to me later. I may bail on it, but I havent seen it in many years, so I'll give it a go. Madeleine Carroll played the part on stage. Yes, that mannish doo Crawford wore in Harriet Craig (and for several years). She really is the male lead in the picture! Wendell is supporting.

I prefer Crawford's version of Craig over the earlier 30's version with Roz Russell.......

• Like 1

I feel Harriet Craig captures the real Joan more than any other film. ("I don't hate you, I hate the dirt!!!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

CRAWFORD as middle-aged congresswoman named "Agatha"? No, thanks. And the script is like the bad parts of BORN YESTERDAY, only less funny and more preachy about its high fallutin' ideals (it was by Garson Kanin's sister, I think)

HARRIET CRAIG is fun though, it's one of her most masculine performances (so many to choose from, I know!)

I remember Eve Arden being funny in it.....

• Like 1

LMREO! Check out the poster for Goodbye, My Fancy on imdb! Talk about false advertising!!!

Friday, August 31

Joan Crawford

Rain-02.jpg

9 a.m.  Rain (1932).  I think this one divides the crowd.   I like Joan’s performance here.

• Like 1

Sudden Fear was amazing.  Joan is fantastic.  Gloria Grahame was my favorite though.  The ending of the film was great too.  I'd have to say I'm not the biggest fan of Jack Palance, but he's great in this film.  I also loved the San Francisco location as well.

In addition to Sudden Fear, I'm recording Harriet Craig.  I haven't seen this one yet.

Joan Crawford's post-MGM career, but pre-psycho biddy, is my favorite part of her filmography.  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

What I remember about Goodbye My Fancy as being particularly annoying are the college girls. They act like they are  in eighth grade, not college seniors.

• Thanks 1

Looking forward to Joan Crawford and I agree with a lot of people who think her post-MGM career was her most interesting and some of her best work.

I think SUTS was pretty good this year - nice inclusion of lesser-knowns and the under-appreciated along with the usual "stars." 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, calvinnme said:

What I remember about Goodbye My Fancy as being particularly annoying are the college girls. They act like they are  in eighth grade, not college seniors.

LOL.

7 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

Looking forward to Joan Crawford and I agree with a lot of people who think her post-MGM career was her most interesting and some of her best work.

I think SUTS was pretty good this year - nice inclusion of lesser-knowns and the under-appreciated along with the usual "stars." 

I find that I am just not a fan of hers when she's supposed to be an MGM glamor girl.  She's not very interesting in these films.  I've found that her 1940s/1950s output features her in a diverse set of roles with some interesting co-stars.  She was excellent in Autumn Leaves and Sudden Fear.  I didn't think she was all that pretty when she was at MGM (not ugly, but average), but I actually thought she was very pretty in films like Mildred Pierce and Humoresque, then her brows and lips kept slowly increasing in size... I really liked The Best of Everything, but Joan looked a bit odd in that film--especially with the orange hair.

28 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I find that I am just not a fan of [CRAWFORD] when she's supposed to be an MGM glamor girl.  She's not very interesting in these films.  I've found that her 1940s/1950s output features her in a diverse set of roles with some interesting co-stars.  She was excellent in Autumn Leaves and Sudden Fear.  I didn't think she was all that pretty when she was at MGM (not ugly, but average), but I actually thought she was very pretty in films like Mildred Pierce and Humoresque, then her brows and lips kept slowly increasing in size... I really liked The Best of Everything, but Joan looked a bit odd in that film--especially with the orange hair.

i know i sound a bit like a broken record on this one, but one MGM role of hers that I recommend highly is SADIE MCKEE (1934)...it's fantastic, but it'll make you a bit sad that MGM didn't give her more parts like this. in a way, it's a less risque and more sparkling redo of RAIN...she costars with EDWARD ARNOLD (who is terrific) and GENE RAYMOND (who is like a sexy older version of Casper the Friendly Ghost in human form.)

it is also the film in which one of my all-time favorite songs ALL I DO IS DREAM OF YOU (THE WHOLE DAY THRU) was introduced.

I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY RECOMMEND WATCHING THE TRAILER, WHICH FEATURES AN APPEARANCE BY WRITER VINA DEL MAR WERKING SOME LOUISE BROOKS BANGS:

• Like 1

Isnt a clip from this used in Baby Jane? I've seen the film a few times,  but not lately. Not enough room on the DVR right now to record it........

15 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Isnt a clip from this used in Baby Jane? I've seen the film a few times,  but not lately. Not enough room on the DVR right now to record it........

Yes, SADIE MCKEE is well-used in BABY JANE (whereas I can't remember what film they use of Bette to represent her younger self, but MAN ALIVE IS SHE GIVING A TERRIBLE PERFORMANCE IN IT!!!!)

Sadly, SADIE MCKEE is not on today; the DVD is only available as part of a CRAWFORD BOX SET (like FLAMINGO ROAD and TORCH SONG.)

17 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yes.

Saturday, September 1

044-006tugger.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Pleased to Meet Cha! (1935).

rh6Tv73.jpg

3:30 a.m.  The American Friend (1977).   Patricia Highsmith Wim Wenders’ style.  With Bruno Ganz, Dennis Hopper, Nicholas Ray, Samuel Fuller and Gerard Blain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Yes, SADIE MCKEE is well-used in BABY JANE (whereas I can't remember what film they use of Bette to represent her younger self, but MAN ALIVE IS SHE GIVING A TERRIBLE PERFORMANCE IN IT!!!!)

Sadly, SADIE MCKEE is not on today; the DVD is only available as part of a CRAWFORD BOX SET (like FLAMINGO ROAD and TORCH SONG.)

Oh, I see. So I didnt miss anything! Yeah, the talking Bette is from Parachute Jumper (BAD). The bedroom one is from Ex-Lady.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Oh, I see. So I didnt miss anything! Yeah, the talking Bette is from Parachute Jumper (BAD). The bedroom one is from Ex-Lady.

I really want to see this one now.

On 8/30/2018 at 11:44 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

Agree, agree, agree...on all your thoughts, Lorna and as you say "Sudden Fear" is fab, but "Torch Song" with the Joan designed clothes, and her incredibly modernistic apartment with accoutrements which are super fantastic is a must see!