Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

7,563 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, September 1

044-006tugger.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Pleased to Meet Cha! (1935).

rh6Tv73.jpg

3:30 a.m.  The American Friend (1977).   Patricia Highsmith Wim Wenders’ style.  With Bruno Ganz, Dennis Hopper, Nicholas Ray, Samuel Fuller and Gerard Blain.

"The American Friend"! I had read about this film many times and years ago ordered it and was not disappointed. It is a fabulous film and deserves more accolades. Great story by Highsmith, great exposition by Wenders with his amazing cast and particularly great is Bruno Ganz. Thanks for bringing it to the attention of all, Bogie!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Sep 01 and a return to normalcy on TCM.  No more SUTS.

Great upcoming stuff including "Hiroshima, Mon Amour" and "La Jettee" on September 02, 2018, TheCid!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Saturday, September 1

044-006tugger.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Pleased to Meet Cha! (1935).

Is this the place to admit that I find Bluto attractive...or is there another forum on the internet for that?

• Haha 5

Sudden Fear (1952)

" It had been seven years since Mildred Pierce, the role Joan Crawford had to audition for at Warner Brothers after MGM terminated her contract, and the hit she rode to an Oscar. But even the greatest Hollywood careers oscillate like the stock market, and though the late 1940s saw some of her best work, by 1952 Crawford was once more in a box-office trough. She asked Warners to let her go, they did, and Crawford went to RKO for Sudden Fear—where once again, she landed an Oscar nomination and a roaring success. ......

https://www.filmcomment.com/blog/sudden-fear-joan-crawford/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

watching TORCH SONG and then SUDDEN FEAR! last night, I cannot help but this morning dream of "the fabulous Thing that Could have been" had these two movies been mashed together- kind of like RON SILVER at the end of TIME COP.

SUDDEN TORCH! ?

FEAR SONG! ?

Whatever, but really- while i love the film overall, the first 20 minutes of SUDDEN FEAR! are kind of a bore- and the film only gains its edge once CRAWFORD upchucks and then begins methodically planning the deaths of everyone who has wronged her in perfect cursive on some really handsome stationary. Wouldn't the whole thing be a bit more fun if in lieu of MYRA HUDSON BLAINE we had JENNY STEWART planning the murders of MICHAEL WILDING (he's faking the blindness thing) and her scheming understudy GLORIA GRAHAME while rehearsing their new musical TWO-FACED WOMAN in her native SAN FRANCISCO?

there's room somewhere in there for MARJORIE RAMBEAU and at least one racist, badly lip-synced production number as well.

• Like 1

Never really have cared for Joan Crawford, but did watch Sudden Fear as it was a recommended Noir.  Jack Palance and Gloria Graham were definitely the best actors in the movie.  Found it kind of boring and Crawford overplayed her role.  Did enjoy the train part and they actually used the correct trains and changeover to get from NY to SF.

Good News is that Sept. is Dean Martin month.  Not a great actor, but was in some very entertaining movies and played his roles well.  Ada is one that is often overlooked.   However, I will skip the Jerry Lewis ones.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Great upcoming stuff including "Hiroshima, Mon Amour" and "La Jettee" on September 02, 2018, TheCid!

I'm glad to have the Imports back. I really don't care for the SUTS or Oscar month programming where they get rid of it.

• Thanks 1

Saturday, September 1 Pirate Double Bill

8pm (EST) THE BLACK SWAN

Rich Technicolor enhances this Fox production, with Tyrone Power as a lusty pirate, Maureen O'Hara in her first swashbuckler as a feisty leading lady and a barely recognizable George Sanders with a beaver on his face. Laird Cregar, as Henry Morgan, enjoys some of the most colourful and fruity dialogue in a film that never take itself too seriously.

black-swan-1.jpg

9:45PM CAPTAIN BLOOD

The granddaddy of talkie pirate flicks and, thanks to Michael's Curitz's exuberant direction and a marvelous cast, it still holds up as one of the very best. Amidst the heroics and larger-than-life adventures, too, can be seen a Warner Brothers studio message about oppression.

Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland in their first film together are a fairy tale couple of such beauty and charm that one can't help but be enchanted. And, waiting on the wings, is Basil Rathbone as a French scoundrel with an accent thick enough to let you know he was having a good time. He and Flynn will, of course, cross more than just words.

captain-blood-errol-flynn-basil-rathbone

• Like 2

Sunday, September 2

389007.1020.A.jpg

noon     The Brothers Karamazov (1958).  Albert Salmi is a standout in this Dostoevsky adaptation.

• Like 1

It’s not a film for everyone, but I love MONKEY BUSINESS (1952) on tonight at 8:00 pm. 

Both CARY GRANT and GINGER ROGERS deserved Oscar nominations for their work, IMO at least.

• Haha 1

Monday, September 3

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTtLvOOrYlGYA16vL_N7z5

8 and 11:30 p.m.  AFI Life Achievement Award: A Tribute ot George Clooney.  Ought to be fun.  The Supermarket tabloids have him getting a divorce.

• Thanks 2

Recommended for Tuesday: Hotel Berlin is a version of Grand Hotel (by the same author, Vicki Baum) set not long before the Allies will take over Berlin. Germany has lost the war, and the rats are scurrying, while a few decent people try to survive. Helmut Dantine is a resistance fighter, Andrea King a stage star, Faye Emerson a sympathetic call girl, and Raymond Massey and Henry Daniell are Nazis.

• Thanks 1

Wednesday, September 5

Dangerous-Mission_3.jpg

1:15 p.m.  Dangerous Mission (1954).  Thriller with Victor Mature and Piper Laurie.  I’ve always liked Victor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wednesday, September 5

Dangerous-Mission_3.jpg

1:15 p.m.  Dangerous Mission (1954).  Thriller with Victor Mature and Piper Laurie.  I’ve always liked Victor.

...and apparently a dumpy Vincent Price as well.

I also like Victor Mature, he was a much better actor than he gave himself credit for...which may be why there is a refreshing lack of pretense in his performances.

the only film I have seen that he stinks in is THE SHANGHAI GESTURE but everyone is (deliciously) terrible in that movie.

• Like 2

On 8/31/2018 at 2:05 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I really want to see this one now.

LOL. I cant remember if I've seen it or not. If I have, it was a long time ago............

After checking with imdb, Bette plays a character named ALABAMA. :D

On 9/1/2018 at 7:42 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

watching TORCH SONG and then SUDDEN FEAR! last night, I cannot help but this morning dream of "the fabulous Thing that Could have been" had these two movies been mashed together- kind of like RON SILVER at the end of TIME COP.

SUDDEN TORCH! ?

FEAR SONG! ?

Whatever, but really- while i love the film overall, the first 20 minutes of SUDDEN FEAR! are kind of a bore- and the film only gains its edge once CRAWFORD upchucks and then begins methodically planning the deaths of everyone who has wronged her in perfect cursive on some really handsome stationary. Wouldn't the whole thing be a bit more fun if in lieu of MYRA HUDSON BLAINE we had JENNY STEWART planning the murders of MICHAEL WILDING (he's faking the blindness thing) and her scheming understudy GLORIA GRAHAME while rehearsing their new musical TWO-FACED WOMAN in her native SAN FRANCISCO?

there's room somewhere in there for MARJORIE RAMBEAU and at least one racist, badly lip-synced production number as well.

LOL. I agree, the first 20 mins of Sudden Fear are slow. It doesnt start simmering until GLoria Grahame enters the picture. (of course!)

Did anyone catch Goodbye, My Fancy? I didnt think it was that bad. I admit, it's a stretch buying Joan as a Congresswoman, but I thought she did ok. Eve Arden saved many a scene. it was what I'd call "quaint". I was about to strangle Lurene Tuttle after the 2nd warning signal though.........Considering the times, I'm surprised the play was even filmed. Roz Russell would've been a better fit, and I found she was originally cast, but had to drop out for some reason.......

• Thanks 2

I've heard that Goodbye, My Fancy was Eve Arden's favorite among her movies. She does have a much meatier role than usual and gets to do more than make wisecracks.

Really? I didnt know that.

Our Miss Brooks must've started soon after........

9 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

...and apparently a dumpy Vincent Price as well.

I also like Victor Mature, he was a much better actor than he gave himself credit for...which may be why there is a refreshing lack of pretense in his performances.

the only film I have seen that he stinks in is THE SHANGHAI GESTURE but everyone is (deliciously) terrible in that movie.

Interesting you should say that.  I just recently read Piper Laurie's memoir "Learning to Live Out Loud," and that's exactly what she says about Mature - that he was the least pretentious actor she had met.

Don't agree about The Shanghai Gesture, though.  I think he did what he could with the silly role, trying to make like Turhan Bey, or maybe Conrad Veidt.

• Thanks 1

The Brothers Karamazov (1958).  Albert Salmi is a standout in this Dostoevsky adaptation.

Not William Shatner?  :D

I'm partial to The Big Circus, airing at 9:30 a.m on Tuesday (edit: sorry, meant Wednesday). I'm not a fan of circuses, but throw in sinister doings, a drunken Peter Lorre, a suspicious-looking Vincent Price, a great-looking Rhonda Fleming, and Gilbert Roland doing a tightrope act in front of a rear-projection of Niagara Falls, hey, this is a winner in my book.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, September 5

Dangerous-Mission_3.jpg

1:15 p.m.  Dangerous Mission (1954).  Thriller with Victor Mature and Piper Laurie.  

The girl, THAT'S Carrie White's mom and Catherine Martell??    ?

When was Piper Laurie ever young and/or nice?