Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,635 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, kingrat said:

Say, Bogie, I once had a mustache and haircut very much like that. A sweet old lady told me I looked exactly like Sonny Bono! I guess it's been all downhill ever since.

Too bad that sweet old lady didn't say you looked like Bogie56, Richard Farnworth's co-star in The Grey Fox.  ?

• Like 1

Thursday, September 20

150209_r26107.jpg

midnight.  Losing Ground (1982). by Kathleen Collins.  It has a couple of very good reviews on the imdb and The New Yorker called it 'Kathleen Collins Lost Masterwork.'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, September 20

150209_r26107.jpg

midnight.  Losing Ground (1982). by Kathleen Collins.  It has a couple of very good reviews on the imdb and The New Yorker called it 'Kathleen Collins Lost Masterwork.'

Plus it co-stars the great Duane Jones from Night of the Living Dead!  Must-see TV for me.

• Like 1

Friday, September 21/22

image-w1280.jpg?1478792686

1 a.m.  Bowery to Baghdad (1955).  The Bowery Boys find Aladdin’s lamp.  Sounds dreadful!!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, September 21/22

image-w1280.jpg?1478792686

1 a.m.  Bowery to Baghdad (1955).  The Bowery Boys find Aladdin’s lamp.  Sounds dreadful!!

So dreadful that the Legion of Decency gave this a "B" rating (morally objectionable). The issues: suggestive costumes and dialogue. Oh yeah ... that hot babe Joan Shawlee in a harem outfit really corrupted me as a kid.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

So dreadful that the Legion of Decency gave this a "B" rating (morally objectionable). The issues: suggestive costumes and dialogue. Oh yeah ... that hot babe Joan Shawlee in a harem outfit really corrupted me as a kid.

To me the 'issues' wouldn't be the costumes and dialogue but instead the concept of a harem.   The gals don't volunteer for this duty.    Today that would be the main concern.   E.g. Disneyland changing the Pirates of the Caribbean exhibit.

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Privates? LOL.

well it was the red headed wench and the bride auction scene that was removed from the ride... I guess the "privates" would be included too. 

Saturday, September 22

10.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Dizzy Divers (1935).

10_Seconds_Hell_port_1214-1472924700-726

10:15 p.m.  Ten Seconds to Hell (1959).  War vets defuse unexploded bombs in Berlin.  By Robert Aldrich.

• Thanks 1

On 9/20/2018 at 11:06 AM, scsu1975 said:

s-l300.jpg

Hubba, hubba

All joking aside, I always thought full figured Joan was pretty hot when she was young.  I would gladly be corrupted by her. Not only that but . . .

MV5BOGE1MThkMGQtODFkZi00ODRiLTlmZDAtMmZl

she could knit too!

1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, September 22

10.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Dizzy Divers (1935).

10_Seconds_Hell_port_1214-1472924700-726

10:15 p.m.  Ten Seconds to Hell (1959).  War vets defuse unexploded bombs in Berlin.  By Robert Aldrich.

This one looks promising. Aldrich hired a German bomb expert, Gerhard Rabiger, to instruct Jeff Chandler and Jack Palance in defusing techniques. Rabiger defused as many as 20 bombs a day in Berlin just after the end of WWII. Even while this film was being made, bombs were still being discovered in Berlin at a rate of about two a week. Rabinger was probably only half-joking, when, impressed by what he saw from Chandler and Palance, told them "I still need help. It will be many years before Berlin is free of bombs and you men have now had good basic training." Chandler and Palance declined the offer, citing previous film commitments ... or so the story goes.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TomJH said:

s-l300.jpg

Hubba, hubba

All joking aside, I always thought full figured Joan was pretty hot when she was young.  I would gladly be corrupted by her. Not only that but . . .

MV5BOGE1MThkMGQtODFkZi00ODRiLTlmZDAtMmZl

she could knit too!

I quite agree. When she was acting under the name Joan Fulton, she was a real knockout. Then she became a very talented comedienne.

1 hour ago, scsu1975 said:

I quite agree. When she was acting under the name Joan Fulton, she was a real knockout. Then she became a very talented comedienne.

Yep, I've always had a bit of a thing for Joan Shawlee.

She may be best remembered today for her Billy Wilder comedies, in particular her playing of tough Sweet Sue in Some Like It Hot. But she also appeared in The Apartment and was a hooker, Amazon Annie, in Irma La Douce.

joan-shawlee-380589l.jpg

But let's not forget her television work, too, in particular a few memorable appearances as Buddy Sorrell's wife, Pickles, in The Dick Van Dyke Show

pickles-shawlee.jpg

I recently watched House of Horrors, a minor Universal thriller from the '40s and was pleasantly surprised that Joan (then called Fulton) had a sizeable role as a model in the film. Unfortunately Rondo Hatton's Creeper eventually gets a hold of her, and there's no more modeling. Drats!

House+of+Horrors+(1946)_016+Joan+Shawlee

Joan was only 61 when she succumbed to cancer in 1987.

• Like 2

Sunday, September 23

floatweed-ins.jpg

2 a.m.  Floating Weeds (1959).  Yasujiro Ozu film.  I’d like to see this one again.  I wasn't quite into it the first time.

• Thanks 1

Monday, September 24

280full.jpg

8:30 a.m.  Society Lawyer (1939).  Walter Pidgeon is always good.  Hey, he’s from New Brunswick.

scorsese_and_parents_0.jpg?itok=8h_qCLgt

8 p.m.  Italianamerica (1974).  Martin Scorsese’s documentary about his parents.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, September 24

280full.jpg

8:30 a.m.  Society Lawyer (1939).  Walter Pidgeon is always good.  Hey, he’s from New Brunswick.

scorsese_and_parents_0.jpg?itok=8h_qCLgt

8 p.m.  Italianamerica (1974).  Martin Scorsese’s documentary about his parents.

If that guy in the middle is really Italian, his pants should be a lot higher up.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Tuesday, September 25/26

s-l400.jpg

1:30 a.m.  Greased Lightning (1977).  With Richard Pryor, Pam Grier and Beau Bridges.

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, September 25/26

s-l400.jpg

Are you sure that's not a still from Beau Bridges lost screen test for Silver Streak?

17 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

If that guy in the middle is really Italian, his pants should be a lot higher up.

So funny!

By the way, following that film they are showing Malick's "Badlands". Anyone who really enjoys noirish women should enjoy seeing the fictionalized story of serial killer, Charles Starkweather and his teen girlfriend, Caril Fugate. Though Charlie was convicted and executed for wanting to look like James Dean while also killing eleven people, his 14-year old girlfriend, basically got off with only serving 17 years, even though some think she was the trigger happy exponent. In the mid-1970's she was released from prison, changed her name and went on to live a normal life, though some say her perfect record at the prison only showed one thing in her twisted personality. That she would follow anyone or anything and had no mind of her own, so if she later hooked up with the BTK fellow, she would have also gone on a killing spree with him, just not in the Badlands. The movie stars Spacek and Sheen and the score is fantastic with selections from Carl Orff and Eric Satie amongst others.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, September 25/26

s-l400.jpg

1:30 a.m.  Greased Lightning (1977).  With Richard Pryor, Pam Grier and Beau Bridges.

I finally broke down and purchased DVD set of Harts of the West TV series.  Beau was the producer, star and I think director.  Purchased it mainly because of Harley Jane Kozak.  She is fairly good as an actor and great as a mystery writer.  This is not related to Hearts of the West movie (very good) starring Jeff Bridges, Andy Griffin and Blythe Danner.  Although not sure Beau did not steal the title and reference to the Shoshonee Mountains.

Beau is not nearly as good as Jeff as an actor.  I can understand why the series was cancelled after one year - surprised it made it that far.

18 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

So funny!

By the way, following that film they are showing Malick's "Badlands". Anyone who really enjoys noirish women should enjoy seeing the fictionalized story of serial killer, Charles Starkweather and his teen girlfriend, Caril Fugate. Though Charlie was convicted and executed for wanting to look like James Dean while also killing eleven people, his 14-year old girlfriend, basically got off with only serving 17 years, even though some think she was the trigger happy exponent. In the mid-1970's she was released from prison, changed her name and went on to live a normal life, though some say her perfect record at the prison only showed one thing in her twisted personality. That she would follow anyone or anything and had no mind of her own, so if she later hooked up with the BTK fellow, she would have also gone on a killing spree with him, just not in the Badlands. The movie stars Spacek and Sheen and the score is fantastic with selections from Carl Orff and Eric Satie amongst others.

This is the problem with using prison behavior as a basis for parole. Many of the inmates are sociopaths, so if you tell them when to get up, when to go to bed, when to eat, and when to work, they do fine in a structured environment.  Give them an opportunity to make these decisions for themselves, then it just depends upon who they run into in their daily lives as to whether they go straight or get mixed up with the law again.

-Sounds funny.......Anyone seen it??  :unsure:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tues., 9-25 for              TCM SPOTLIGHT: AAFCA PRESENTS: THE BLACK EXPERIENCE ON FILM .....

8:00 PM (ET)
C - 78 m

comedy

Synopsis: An aspiring African-American actor tries to fight against stereotyping.
DirRobert Townsend CastRobert Townsend , Anne-Marie Johnson , Starletta DuPois .

"... skewers everything about Hollywood's attitudes inside and out. From the idea that characters for black performers are limited to the most demeaning stereotypes to the idea that there is only room for one black star in a picture. ..... -Townsend's character looking for work as an actor while fantasizing about himself in various genres within of the cinematic world--it allows Townsend and his fellow cast members a wide latitude into absurdist comedy ......

see TCM article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/78226/Hollywood-Shuffle/articles.html

• Like 1