Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

7,550 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

-Sounds funny.......Anyone seen it??  :unsure:

Ladies & gentlemen, the only actual funny scene in the film:

Yep, and that's just two minutes of the white-stereotype blame Robert Townsend lays on us--Otherwise we get Townsend--who's better at serious atmospheric-drama than trying to mix social preachiness with comedy in "The Meteor Man"--trying to blame said black-comedy-stereotypic white-people industry for bad black sitcoms and stereotyped roles, in a long-ago naive late-80's before Tyler Perry, the Wayans Brothers' "White Chicks" and UPN's "Homeboys From Outer Space" re-pointed the finger of blame...And back before Eddie Murphy did "Norbit" without white people asking him to.

Even stranger, half the jokes seem to have been time-warped from 1975, as apparently Townsend is one of the only OTHER people besides our board who remembers "Mandingo".  That he also remembers the blaxsploitation "J.D.'s Revenge" from 1975, too, and for some bizarre reason uses it to criticize late-80's black film roles, however, just made me feel too danged old.

(And so help me, I swear I actually know the specific show that Townsend is parodying in that bad "Batty!" sitcom parody, as I remember seeing the pilot for it...Also from 1974.  It can't be a coincidence.  ? )

For those who like romantic dramas, there are a couple of interesting ones during the day on Wednesday: Cass Timberlane is a May/December love story with Lana Turner (charming) and Spencer Tracy, who have more chemistry than I would expect. The Valley of Decision is even better, with Greer Garson as a housemaid in love with the son of the family she works for. Gregory Peck is definitely younger than Garson, so the screen sometimes gets fuzzy for Garson's close-ups. Lionel Barrymore, as Garson's father, plays a fanatic union leader who hates the family his daughter works for.

• Like 1

Thursday, September 27

This one is on in the U.S. ....

8594.D_1200_700.jpg?1526403946

9:15 p.m.  Cry, the Beloved Country (1952).  Top notch film set in Johannesburg with Charles Carson, Joyce Carey, Canada Lee and Sidney Poitier.

And keeping with the same theme this one is on in Canada ....

Lost-01.jpg

9:15 p.m.  Lost Boundaries (1949).

• Like 2

On 9/26/2018 at 6:40 AM, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, September 27

This one is on in the U.S. ....

9:15 p.m.  Cry, the Beloved Country (1952).  Top notch film set in Johannesburg with Charles Carson, Joyce Carey, Canada Lee and Sidney Poitier.

Wait....is that the same JOYCE CAREY that wrote THE HORSE'S MOUTH?

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Wait....is that the same JOYCE CAREY that wrote THE HORSE'S MOUTH?

Joyce Carey, actress (1898-1993)

Joyce Cary, author (1888-1957)

• Thanks 1

Friday, September 28/29

eye-of-the-devil-2.jpg

3:45 a.m.  Eye of the Devil (1966).  Sounds pretty silly but it has a great cast.  David Niven, Deborah Kerr, Donald Pleasence, Flora Robson, Emlyn Williams, David Hemmings, John Le Mesurier and Sharon Tate.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Joyce Carey, actress (1898-1993)

Joyce Cary, author (1888-1957)

thank you!

altho...

you realize your answering this for me has officially made me too lazy to wikipedia and from hereon, I shall be referring all questions to you, Bogiepedia.

• Haha 1

Eye of the Devil is pretty silly.

For tonight's lineup, I'd highly recommend Bright Victory at 8:00 PM.  Trial, the third Arthur Kennedy movie of the night, is also worth a watch, especially for Juano Hernandez.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, September 29

MV5BN2U0ZTU1ZmMtNGM4ZS00Mjk3LTg2OWItYzU5

10 a.m.  Popeye: You Gotta Be a Football Hero (1940).

The reason why I don't go to sleep after TCM Underground.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sunday, September 30

4092b.jpg

9:45 p.m.  Operation Eichmann (1961).  With Werner Klemperer as the infamous mass murderer.  I haven’t seen it.  I hope I don’t keep waiting for Eichmann to say “Hogan!!!"

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, September 30

4092b.jpg

9:45 p.m.  Operation Eichmann (1961).  With Werner Klemperer as the infamous mass murderer.  I haven’t seen it.  I hope I don’t keep waiting for Eichmann to say “Hogan!!!"

I would be more interested in Ruta Lee's role.

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

I would be more interested in Ruta Lee's role.

She plays Eichmann's "girlfriend." She was supposed to play his wife, but since Eichmann's wife was living at the time the film was being made, the producers wanted to avoid any trouble so they changed her role.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, September 30

4092b.jpg

Joseph Schildkraut turned down $150,000 to play Eichmann. After his wonderful role as Otto Frank in both the stage and film versions of The Diary of Anne Frank, he decided he would never play villains again. "The story moved me as nothing else ever has or could," he said about his role. "So when I put my name on a contract I promised myself I would make some small personal sacrifice to the memory of that innocent child who died a victim of the Nazis. I'm proud to say I've kept that bargain." Schildkraut also refused to make any more films in Germany and Austria.

• Thanks 4

earlier Sun.       sounds good :)

8:00 PM (ET)
B/W - 86 m

drama

Synopsis: A Nazi officer on trial for war crimes thinks back on his past.
DirAndre DeToth CastMarsha Hunt , Alexander Knox , Henry Travers .

" "[De Toth's] treatment of the subject, his handling of the actors and his unbelievable ability to create new departures from routine procedure are evidence of his artistry as a director. His work has the fresh tang of unbridled daring in some respects, and in others seems to borrow from techniques we have long known but forgotten how to use."

see: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/27516/None-Shall-Escape/articles.html

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

? Andre de Toth. Marsha Hunt, Alexander Knox, Henry Travers, Richard Crane, Dorothy Morris, Trevor Bardette. Trial of Nazi officer reviews his savage career, in taut drama that retains quite a punch. Released before, but set after, the end of WW

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, September 30

4092b.jpg

I've seen the excellent HBO film The Man Who Captured Eichmann (1996), featuring Robert Duvall as the fugitive Nazi, and Operation Finale (2018), with Ben Kinglsey as Eichmann, was just released in theaters in late August. That's a lot of cinematic Eichmanns.

4485-3.jpg

operation-finale-ben-kingsley-slice-600x

• Like 1

A few final tidbits about Operation Eichmann, then I will shut up:

Werner Klemperer’s take on his role was as follows: “I took the role with only one reservation. I wanted to make sure there was nothing in the script which looked like justification for the man’s behavior. I try to portray him not as an almost neurotic, insane personality, but as a rational thinking being. I won’t use the word human, it cannot be. When I play him that way, the monstrosity of his crime is that more apparent. One can always excuse a sick being. I think it’s important that people are reminded of what happened and what could happen again. We’re doing a picture showing Eichmann to be what he is. He represents the most evil cancer I can think of.” 

Karl Lindt was cast to play Heinrich ****. A few days before filming, Lindt quit the part. “The more I thought of it, the more it sickened me.” He was replaced by Luis Van Rooten, who had once played **** in The Hitler Gang.

Edited by scsu1975
Geez, so H i m m l e r gets censored???
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

And I think Maximilian Schell's The Man In the Glass Booth (1975) was basically the Eichmann story though he wasn't named that in the film and they fictionalized it so that he was living in NYC when captured.

maximilian-schell-the-man-in-the-glass-b

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fedya said:

That still makes it look like a comedy.  ?

Yes, I believe that is actually from Dick Clark's Nazi Bloopers. That might be the episode where Adolf Hitler accidentally refers to Hermann Göering as German Herring.

• Haha 2

10 a.m.  Popeye: You Gotta Be a Football Hero (1940).

If this's the one that ends with Popeye switching Fleischer characters, and ending the cartoon on "Boop-a-doop-a-doop", good--That means that the classic Jack Mercer-voiced Popeyes should be next, with King of the Mardi Gras.

And then you're in for some good stuff.  :D

• Thanks 1

In response to Mr. 666, None Shall Escape is indeed worth seeing, smartly directed by Andre de Toth, with solid performances by Marsha Hunt, Alexander Knox, and Ruth Nelson, among others. When this film was made, the war was still going on, and it's interesting to see how the trial of the Nazi was imagined.

Though it would probably drive me crazy to watch the two movies back to back, as scheduled, I think The Glass Bottom Boat is interesting for the candy-colored cinematography, which definitely fits the movie. You're not likely to see this look from any current movie or TV show.

• Thanks 2

Monday, October 1/2

des-pudels-kern-the-horses-mouth-gb-1958

4:30 a.m.  The Horse’s Mouth (1958).  About my favourite painter, Gully Jimson.   Arguably Alec Guinness’ and Michael Gough’s finest screen performances.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

And I think Maximilian Schell's The Man In the Glass Booth (1975) was basically the Eichmann story though he wasn't named that in the film and they fictionalized it so that he was living in NYC when captured.

maximilian-schell-the-man-in-the-glass-b

I think this is the scene where Eichmann tried to shoot himself in court but found out his finger was unloaded.

• Like 1