Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

7,085 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, TomJH said:

Speaking of attractive actresses in the Universal Mummy films, Ramsay Ames in The Mummy's Ghost, while a limited actress, was still quite a stunner. She was even more impressive in colour, having a small part as one of Maria Montez's attendants in Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves.

From IMDb:

According to director William Witney, Republic Studios stuntmen suffered more injuries running on rooftops to get a better look at Ramsay Ames walking across the backlot than were hurt performing dangerous action sequences in the studio's westerns.

The-Mummys-Ghost-1944-300x217.jpg

Yes, I remember her in Ali Baba. She played a rat.

One of the problems with The Mummy's Ghost (and there are several) is that Ames' hair develops that "Bride of Frankenstein" streak, yet nobody seems to ask her about it. 

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

One of the problems with The Mummy's Ghost (and there are several) is that Ames' hair develops that "Bride of Frankenstein" streak, yet nobody seems to ask her about it. 

They're too stunned about everything else about her to notice.

1 hour ago, TomJH said:

They're too stunned about everything else about her to notice.

Probably.

In this film, Frank Reicher takes forever to decipher the numeral "nine" in hieroglyphics, yet he is supposed to be an expert. Of course, this leads to his undoing.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

The Mummy's Curse features a good-looking Virginia Christine, who would later hawk Folger's coffee on television.

Wow.

Way to leave out her later, pivotal role in BILLY THE KID VS. DRACULA.

(No, seriously: I think she'd really appreciate your doing that, were she still alive.)

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

seriously tho, i can watch from 16 seconds in to the end of this clip on loop for an hour and laugh EVERY SINGLE TIME.

*** ...bullets can't stop him, but if you toss the gun he folds like a cheap suit ...

Sunday, October 7/8

1118full-pauline-at-the-beach-screenshot

2 a.m.  Pauline at the Beach (1983).  An Eric Rohmer film that I’ve wanted to see for a long time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

*** ...bullets can't stop him, but if you toss the gun he folds like a cheap suit ...

John Carradine in his three appearances as Dracula (that I have seen) was the most easily dispensed of "monster" of classic cinema.

Like no effort at all involved in taking him out.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

John Carradine in his three appearances as Dracula (that I have seen) was the most easily dispensed of "monster" of classic cinema.

Like no effort at all involved in taking him out.

The bad guys always tried this technique on Superman, but it never worked.

*** ...bullets can't stop him [Dracula}, but if you toss the gun he folds like a cheap suit ...

Lewis Grizzard had a comedy routine about people shooting at Superman and then throwing the gun as if that would do something.  And Superman always ducked.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Lewis Grizzard had a comedy routine about people shooting at Superman and then throwing the gun as if that would do something.  And Superman always ducked.

Well ... not always ...

• Thanks 1

Tomorrow at 6AM is the 1929 version of Showboat. It is largely silent, but there are a few talking sequences in it. Oddly enough Universal tacks a prologue on the film in which some of the songs from the musical are performed. In prior years on TCM there would be an announcement that this film contained a commentary track. I think that is back when Warner Bros. was planning to put all three versions out on regular DVD together, but that never happened.

• Like 1

Bogie, I hope you like Pauline at the Beach. I remember liking it quite a bit. I'd like to see more of Rohmer's films on TCM.

• Thanks 1

Monday, October 8/9

DangerRoute.jpg

4 a.m.  Danger Route (1967).  English cold war thriller that didn’t get great reviews but has a good cast that includes Diana Dors, Sylvia Syms, Gordon Jackson and Sam Wanamaker.

• Like 1

Also on tonight 10/7 at 12:00 at night is Nosferatu.

nosferatu16_756_426_81_s.jpg

360de0687ef2a5ccc21571bb2d0acd70.jpg

This is a very beautiful film and I try to watch it at least once around Halloween each year. 

• Like 3

Tuesday, October 9

If you like documentaries this is the day for you.

ernest-hemmingway-during-the-filming-of-

8:30 a.m.  The Spanish Earth (1937).  Spanish Civil War film that won The National Board of Review’s Best Foreign Language Film.  By Joris Ivens.

cal_plowthatbroke_360.jpg

9:45 a.m.  The Plow That Broke the Plains (1936) Short film by Pare Lorentz that has been preserved by the Library of Congress.

the-sea-around-us-md-web.jpg

2 p.m.  The Sea Around Us (1952).  Pre Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and The Towering Inferno Irwin Allen made this Oscar winning doc.  This might be a premiere?

animals-are-beautiful-people-german-movi

3:15 p.m.  Animals Are Beautiful People (1974).  Winner of the Golden Globe Best Documentary feature.  A comic documentary by South Africa's Jamie Uys of The Gods Must Be Crazy (1980) fame.

• Thanks 2

Wednesday, October 10

511lftFGmAL._SX307_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

11:30 p.m.  Dracula, Prince of Darkness (1965).  If I’m not mistaken this may have been restricted to those over 18 in Ontario when it first came out.  In any event I was too young to see it when it was released and had to content myself with reading the novelization which I wish I still had.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/6/2018 at 6:57 PM, calvinnme said:

Tomorrow at 6AM is the 1929 version of Showboat. It is largely silent, but there are a few talking sequences in it. Oddly enough Universal tacks a prologue on the film in which some of the songs from the musical are performed. In prior years on TCM there would be an announcement that this film contained a commentary track. I think that is back when Warner Bros. was planning to put all three versions out on regular DVD together, but that never happened.

I recorded this, but havent watched it yet. Was wondering if it was a silent, how could it still be a musical?

On 10/8/2018 at 8:05 AM, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, October 9

If you like documentaries this is the day for you.

3:15 p.m.  Animals Are Beautiful People (1974).  Winner of the Golden Globe Best Documentary feature.  A comic documentary by South Africa's Jamie Uys of The Gods Must Be Crazy (1980) fame.

I remember them re-releasing this in theaters on the initial Gods-mania--It's okay for a kids' nature documentary for the first hour, until Uys gets into more documenting Bushmen life in the last half hour, and then it feels like a "prequel" to the first TGMBC.  (The Bushmen's way of finding water by trapping baboons could have come out of either of the Gods movies.)

Sort of as if the first movie had spent more time on the introduction before dropping the Coke bottle.  :)

7 hours ago, Hibi said:

I recorded this, but havent watched it yet. Was wondering if it was a silent, how could it still be a musical?

About Showboat (1929), it is what was known as a "goat gland" -mixed silent and sound. The film has a prologue with the musical numbers that were in the Broadway show. Then the film starts and it is mainly silent with some talking passages. Many films from 1928 and some from 1929 are oddly put together that way.

Thursday, October 11

90dc79ce0b6ad85aa74b0839d0bf5c45.jpg

8:15 a.m.  Behave Yourself (1951).  In her autobiography, Shelley Winters writes about how close she and co-star Farley Granger came to marriage.

58 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, October 11

90dc79ce0b6ad85aa74b0839d0bf5c45.jpg

8:15 a.m.  Behave Yourself (1951).  In her autobiography, Shelley Winters writes about how close she and co-star Farley Granger came to marriage.

Sadly, Shelley proved to be too much man for Farley to handle. 

(A rare instance)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/8/2018 at 8:08 AM, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, October 10

511lftFGmAL._SX307_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

11:30 p.m.  Dracula, Prince of Darkness (1965).  If I’m not mistaken this may have been restricted to those over 18 in Ontario when it first came out.  In any event I was too young to see it when it was released and had to content myself with reading the novelization which I wish I still had.

I'm intrigued by this.

i looked it up on amazon, and it's available used (of course) for less than $5, but it seems to be a collection of short stories and not a novelization of the 1965 film...

1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I'm intrigued by this.

i looked it up on amazon, and it's available used (of course) for less than $5, but it seems to be a collection of short stories and not a novelization of the 1965 film...

This is not the cover of the novelization that I recall.  And it was as full length as these novelizations usually are.  An easy blood-thirsty read for an eleven year old.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

This is not the cover of the novelization that I recall.  And it was as full length as these novelizations usually are.  An easy blood-thirsty read for an eleven year old.

seems like DRACULA, PRINCE OF DARKNESS would make a better novel than a movie.