Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,635 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, kingrat said:

Neither have I, and I'd like to check it out. I believe that "Le rayon vert," the French title, is what we call "the green flash," when you can see a brief moment of green just as the sun goes down.

It's not about synthetic fabrics?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Not the cast that comes to my mind but you can't eat your principles.

If you don't like them I have others you can eat.

• Like 1

"The Stork Club" (1945) starring Betty Hutton is on tomorrow afternoon for the first time in five years. It's in the public domain, so I hope it is a decent copy.

Tomorrow night is Disney Night on TCM. "Flight of the Navigator" (1986) is a TCM premiere as is "The Last Flight of Noah's Ark" (1980).

• Thanks 1

I'm going to be away for a computer for about a week so I am going to post my choices for that period now.

Tuesday, October 16

fail_safe-04.jpg

6 p.m.  Fail-Safe (1964).  With Henry Fonda.

Would President Trump have the nerve to drop the bomb on Mar-a-Lago if it would prevent WWIII?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wednesday, October 17

163.jpg

6 p.m.  The More the Merrier (1943).  One of the best films from that year.  With Jean Arthur, Joel McCrea and Charles Coburn.

Thursday, October 18

81ld5v7KIpL._SY445_.jpg

noon.  Drum Beat (1954).  Alan Ladd and the Indians.  Good old Dell comic books!

Friday, October 19

This is only playing in America I'm afraid ...

nurse_on_wheels_george_joanna_tim.jpg

10 p.m.  Nurse on Wheels (1963).  This Juliet Mills, Joan Sims film goes for a small fortune on Amazon uk.  That looks like Frankie Howerd on the right but he is not in the imdb credits for the film.

• Thanks 1

Saturday, October 20

latest?cb=20131003054815

10 a.m.  Popeye: The Spinach Overture (1935).

bloodbrothers

4 a.m.  Bloodbrothers (1978).  I’ve been on the hunt for this Robert Mulligan film for a while.  With Richard Gere and Tony LoBianco.

Sunday, October 21

maxresdefault.jpg

8 a.m.  A Day at the Races (1937).  Sunday morning with the Marx Brothers.  Perfect.

• Like 1

Monday, October 22

TheMysteriousDoctor01.jpg

5 a.m.  The Mysterious Doctor (1943).  Nazis and headless ghosts!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Tuesday, October 23/24

kinskihayworth.jpg

2 a.m.  The Bastard (1968).  Heist film with Rita Hayworth and Klaus Kinski.  Now there's a romantic couple for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Wednesday, October 24

Dawn%20Partol.sized.jpg

4 p.m.  The Dawn Patrol (1938).  Both Errol Flynn and Basil Rathbone are superb in this WWI flyers film.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, October 20

bloodbrothers

4 a.m.  Bloodbrothers (1978).  I’ve been on the hunt for this Robert Mulligan film for a while.  With Richard Gere and Tony LoBianco.

I have a feeling you may get this one yet, Bogie.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, October 24

Dawn%20Partol.sized.jpg

4 p.m.  The Dawn Patrol (1938).  Both Errol Flynn and Basil Rathbone are superb in this WWI flyers film.

I think that David Niven is outstanding as Scotty, as well. All three actors are very impressive, doing some of the best work of their careers in this film. This was the film which really helped to put Niven on the Hollywood map.

• Like 2

For Ed Begley night, Patterns is worth seeing, especially if you are interested in 1950s films about the business world, like Executive Suite. My favorite Ed Begley performance is Odds Against Tomorrow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Tonight's SILENT SUNDAY...... :)

This is a very beautiful movie. I don't usually cry at movies but I cry at the end of this one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thursday, October 25/26

24uytap73rk1r31a.jpg

4:15 a.m.  Gilda Live (1980).  A chance to see Gilda Radner’s stage act.

• Thanks 3

Friday, October 26/27

vlcsnap-8707406.png

2 a.m.  The Hand (1981).  Oliver Stone horror film with Michel Caine.  Followed by …

hqdefault.jpg

4 a.m.  The Beast With Five Fingers (1946).

• Thanks 1

I checked to see if there was any mention of 1967's marvelous ENTER LAUGHING, based on the 1963 stage play that was based on CARL REINER's hilarious 1958 semi-autobiographic novel.  @ 10:00 pm tonight.

I first heard of any of this when coming across the book at the home my ex and I were "house-sitting" in '72.  First book I recall laughing out loud while I was reading it.  It was a newer copy, so mention was made of the movie based on it on it's paperback cover.  I didn't see the movie until I caught it on a PBS weekend feature in the late '70's.

I'll not go into much of it here, I'll leave any of you to take a look.  It concerns the tale of a young man, obsessed with movies and a rabid fan of Ronald Coleman to get involved with one of those "fly-by-night" off-off-off-Broadway theater companies in which the "actors" are those, looking for ways to learn the craft and break into the profession pay to be in a play instead of getting paid to perform.  Run with oily charm by JOSE FERRER(and wonderfully acted) and daughter ELAINE MAY, our hero, RENI SANTONI is superb as the nervously naive David Kolowitz, also weighed down by the over bearing "concern" of Mom SHELLY WINTERS( who does a good Jewish Mother) and level headed concern of Dad DAVID OPATOSHU(who's always good)

JANET MARGOLIN is his love interest, and MICHAEL J. POLLARD is his best buddy in a cast rounded out by JACK GILFORD( also always good), HERBIE FAYE,  MILTON FROME, RICHARD DEACON and DON RICKLES, if you haven't seen this yet, I guarantee it won't be time wasted.  ;)

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

Saturday, October 27

11.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Vim, Vigor & Vitaliky (1936)

ghsot-surprise.jpg?w=560

10 p.m.  The Ghost and Mr. Chicken (1966).  One of Don Knotts’ better features.

On 10/25/2018 at 11:59 AM, Sepiatone said:

I checked to see if there was any mention of 1967's marvelous ENTER LAUGHING, based on the 1963 stage play that was based on CARL REINER's hilarious 1958 semi-autobiographic novel.  @ 10:00 pm tonight.

Sorry I didn't notice your post prior to the start of the show.  Not sure how you caught on to the fact that the schedule was changed to show this in place of the film The Late Show (1977).  I see now that the change was reflected in the Now Playing e-mail edition, but the on-line daily and weekly schedules were never changed.  I did watch some of the "Funny Ladies" Spotlight intros that were done with Illeana Douglas and Carol Burnett last night.  In her final intro (for the film Protocol), Illeana mentions the theme of the evening was comedy from the 70's and 80's, so you can tell that Enter Laughing (1967) did not exactly fit the original intent.  Another oddity is that TCM has added The Late Show to the WatchTCM list so people can see it there if they are interested.  (No Enter Laughing on WatchTCM, unfortunately.)

Saturday, October 27

at midnight and …

Sunday, October 28

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXjBy84G1yzWuEsvK7_Df

10 a.m.  Follow Me Quietly (1949).  This noir by Richard Fleischer has some pretty good reviews.

• Like 1

Well, movieveiwer, I didn't notice any schedule change because I don't use a published(or e-mail sent) TCM schedule.  Usually, I hit the "guide" button on my cable service's remote and look ahead from there.  :) 

I'm just glad that in most cases, my "mental notes" don't get "misplaced"  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Monday, October 29

image-w1280_1_orig.jpg

5:30 a.m.  Return to Glennascaul (1953).  Short film with Orson Welles.  A bit of blarney.