Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

7,644 posts in this topic

Tuesday, October 30

fay-wray.jpg?w=683

4:15 p.m.  King Kong (1933).  It’s time for the big guy again.  Starring that gal from Alberta, Fay Wray

• Thanks 1

at 8:00 pm MONDAY NIGHT (OCT 29)

"In Babylon, on the Boulevard of Broken Dreams, my willpower's at it's lowest ebb, oh what can I do?"

ISLAND OF LOST SOULS (1933) Mondo sadismo bizarro Pre Code, followed by the good version of DR JEKYLL AND MR HYDE (1932)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TUESDAY, OCT 30-

1:30 pm DR X (1933) (aka SYNTHETIC FLESH!); A lurid two-strip technicolor that is a favorite of mine.

4:30 am THE PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES (1963) Probably the best non-vampire, non-Frankenstein HAMMER HAR I've seen.

WEDNESDAY, OCT 31

4:00 PM BLACK SABBATH (1963)- A quartet(?) of scary stories, the last featuring KARLOFF THE UNCANNY as a vampire for the one and only time. (I think)

8:00 PM HOUSE OF WAX (1953) Not as good as 1933's MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM, but I'll take it. BTW, did you know that the DVD of MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM is out of print and sells on amazon for like $200???!!!!

11:15 pm THE MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH (1968?) THE ONLY film CORMAN directed that doesn't suck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The Frozen Dead Tuesday 4:15 am ET

Not exactly Dana Andrews' finest moment. I saw this one in the theater when it was released. Andrews tries to revive some frozen Nazis. What could possibly go wrong? Anna Palk, as his daughter, has a nice pair, but Philip Gilbert as the romantic lead (sort of) is deadly dull, and should have been the one frozen.

Oh, yeah, there is also this ...

Jay7642.jpg

• Haha 3

Wednesday, October 31

hqdefault.jpg

4 p.m.  Black Sabbath (1963).  No Ozzie but Boris Karloff introduces three horror stories by Mario Bava.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Halloween at 11:45 AM, Spirits of the Dead 

MV5BNzZmYWQwNDYtZmI3ZC00MWU4LTgyMGItM2Zj

I don't think I've seen this one before and Lawrence and Bogie both ranked this very highly in their 1968 lists so I'll probably record it. Also has scenes directed by Fellini (one of my favorite directors). 

1 hour ago, Gershwin fan said:

I don't think I've seen this one before and Lawrence and Bogie both ranked this very highly in their 1968 lists so I'll probably record it. Also has scenes directed by Fellini (one of my favorite directors). 

I didn't think I ranked it that highly. I gave it a 6/10. However, the Fellini segment is terrific, and makes up for the two weaker segments by Roger Vadim (Jane Fonda looks great) and Louis Malle (a variation on The Student of Prague, which was done better in the silent era).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Also has scenes directed by Fellini (one of my favorite directors). 

Where he turns Edgar Allan Poe's "Never Bet the Devil Your Head" into a Fellini satire of 60's Italian TV/entertainment culture--Pretty much going over early drafts for what would eventually become "Ginger & Fred".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I didn't think I ranked it that highly. I gave it a 6/10. However, the Fellini segment is terrific, and makes up for the two weaker segments by Roger Vadim (Jane Fonda looks great) and Louis Malle (a variation on The Student of Prague, which was done better in the silent era).

You had it in the 9th spot which isn't that bad. 

15 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

MV5BNzZmYWQwNDYtZmI3ZC00MWU4LTgyMGItM2Zj

I dunno.

Call me nuts but, I think "EDGAR ALLEN POE'S "ULTIMATE" OR GY" would just be a bunch of heroin chic models passed out on laudanum.

An o r gy hosted by LOVECRAFT tho...hoo boy!

edit- Otto

• Haha 1

Thursday, November 1

MV5BMTg1MDRhOTUtMWIzMC00NWNiLWE3NjQtNDQ5

8 p.m.  A House Divided (1913) by Marian Swayne.  You could really pick all of the films scheduled this evening in Women Film Pioneers.  I salute the people who sourced and obtained all these films.  I hadn’t heard of any of them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, November 1

MV5BMTg1MDRhOTUtMWIzMC00NWNiLWE3NjQtNDQ5

8 p.m.  A House Divided (1913) by Marian Swayne.  You could really pick all of the films scheduled this evening in Women Film Pioneers.  I salute the people who sourced and obtained all these films.  I hadn’t heard of any of them.

The first four films that evening are available on youtube ... haven't checked the ones after that.  Of the four, A House Divided is the only one I haven't seen. Falling Leaves is quite touching. The Ocean Waif is pretty good. My top pick would be Where Are My Children? which deals with abortion and features a powerful lead performance by Frederick Tyrone Power.

A29P2DO.png

• Like 2

Friday, November 2

perdicion-double-indemnity-b-wilder-1944

12:15 p.m.  Double Indemnity (1944).  Barbara Stanwyck does it again.

• Thanks 1

I think they should have scheduled WHERE ARE MY CHILDREN? at 11:00 pm, due to that's when a lot of local TV newscasts would start with, "It's 11:00 pm.  Do you know where YOUR children are?"    :D

But seriously....I'm gonna check this one out because, not only DIDN'T I know TYRONE POWERS' Dad was an actor also, nor then either did I ever see one of his films.  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

November 2nd includes two fascinating companion-piece films, RASHOMAN (1950) early in the morning, and THE LOCKET (1946) some time in the afternoon, I think I referenced RASHOMAN in my review of THE LOCKET when it was on NOIR ALLEY.

Both toy with the medium of film and storytelling and the reliability of narrators and both are superb (RASHOMAN probably one of the 10 best films I have ever seen.)

edit- RASHOMAN is on at 6:45 am, THE LOCKET at 6:15 pm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For Friday night: I always mean to watch Dan O'Herlihy as Robinson Crusoe and never get around to it. In Home Before Dark I could never figure out why Jean Simmons and Rhonda Fleming both want O'Herlihy. Simmons has one of her best roles in Home Before Dark, and she would have my vote for best actress of 1958.

• Thanks 1

Saturday, November 3

latest?cb=20160913024959

10 a.m.  Popeye: A Clean Shaven Man (1936).

5027084774_67028b2d28.jpg

4:15 a.m.  Les Dames du Bois de Boulogne (1945).  A decent Robert Bresson film.

• Thanks 1

at 8:00 pm on Sunday, TALES OF MANHATTAN (which could reasonably also be called TAILS OF MANHATTAN) is on at 8:00.

It is an odd anthology film with either four or five stories (depending on the edit) revolving around a cursed tailcoat. The RITA HAYWORTH/CHARLES BOYER one is weird, the GINGER ROGERS/HENRY FONDA one is all right, the LAUGHTON/LANCHESTER one superb and the ETHEL WATERS/ PAUL ROBESON one is fine by me, but apparently some find it offensive (including the actors in it.)

I do not think TCM has ever shown the full original version which included a fifth tale with WC FIELDS and MARGARET DUMONT and is allegedly the best story of the film but was cut before the release of the picture. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, November 3

5027084774_67028b2d28.jpg

4:15 a.m.  Les Dames du Bois de Boulogne (1945).  A decent Robert Bresson film.

Bogie, I'm more enthusiastic about this film than you are. Bresson later downplayed it because it wasn't ALL BRESSON ALL THE TIME, with the God-wannabe director manipulating non-professionals. Script by Jean Cocteau, and starring the great actress Maria Casares. I'm delighted that TCM is showing Les Dames du Bois de Boulogne. It probably has more appeal to a wider audience than some of Bresson's later films. If you like Cocteau's Orpheus or Ophuls films like Letter from an Unknown Woman (without the moving camera), this is one to check out.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I do not think TCM has ever shown the full original version which included a fifth tale with WC FIELDS and MARGARET DUMONT and is allegedly the best story of the film but was cut before the release of the picture. 

The original version only contained the 5 tales.   I.e. there was never a 'full original version' in that the studio never released a film with all 6 tales.    Therefore there is no way for TCM to show a version that never existed.

But one can see the deleted tale in the Ken Burns Hidden Hollywood II: More Treasures from the 20th Century Fox Vaults, a 1997 television documentary spotlighting cut sequences from the studio's films.

• Thanks 2

Sunday, November 4/5

wildcat-1921-image-13-e1459193133734.jpg

12:30 a.m.  The Wildcat (1921).  Ernst Lubitsch silent with Pola Negri.

• Like 2

Monday, November 5

MV5BNDcwNjFhMDItNjE2NS00OGE5LTgwZjgtYThk

6:45 p.m.  Dark Hazard (1934).  I guess compulsive gambler Edward G. Robinson learned a thing or to between this film and The Cincinnati Kid.

On 11/1/2018 at 7:39 AM, Sepiatone said:

"It's 11:00 pm.  Do you know where YOUR children are?" 

• Haha 3

Tonight, 11/4 at 2 AM - Alexander Nevsky

Alexander+Nevsky+16.jpg

Great epic film from Russia with a beautiful score by Sergei Prokofiev (I hope it's the remastered version of the score).

and afterwards at 4 AM - October: 10 Days That Shook the World

d370a9668e34d9c919e2aac80aef36f8.jpg

This one is a premiere.

• Like 3

On 11/2/2018 at 8:50 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I've seen the version with the Fields story in it, and it's not the best.  The Edward G. Robinson and Charles Laughton stories are the best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1