Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

7,087 posts in this topic

My box guide claims The Ascent is on at 4:00 AM, not October.

46 minutes ago, Fedya said:

mine too (DTV), though it's still on TCM guide

:unsure:

Dish is also showing The Ascent.

I also noticed that on 11/7, the airing of Hard, Fast, and Beautiful (directed by Ida Lupino) has been replaced with Out of the Fog (starring Ida Lupino). 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fedya said:

I've seen the version with the Fields story in it, and it's not the best.  The Edward G. Robinson and Charles Laughton stories are the best.

I forgot the EDWARD G ROBINSON one!

sorry.

3 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Dish is also showing The Ascent.

I also noticed that on 11/7, the airing of Hard, Fast, and Beautiful (directed by Ida Lupino) has been replaced with Out of the Fog (starring Ida Lupino). 

I don't see Out of the Fog listed anywhere for 11/7. Looks like Hard, Fast, and Beautiful is a go.

Out of the Fog is listed on the Dish schedule.

2 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Out of the Fog is listed on the Dish schedule.

Hard, Fast & Beautiful is still listed on my cable-box guide (Comcast/Xfinity, in Florida).

Just now, LawrenceA said:

Hard, Fast & Beautiful is still listed on my cable-box guide (Comcast/Xfinity, in Florida).

I guess we'll find out which is right on Wednesday AM.  Lol. 

Just now, speedracer5 said:

I guess we'll find out which is right on Wednesday AM.  Lol. 

Someone else will post which was shown, I hope, as I've seen Out of the Fog, and have no interest in the other movie.

2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Someone else will post which was shown, I hope, as I've seen Out of the Fog, and have no interest in the other movie.

I've seen Out of the Fog as well.  I was interested in the other film, only because it was directed by Ida Lupino.  I may record it anyway and see what happens.  I liked Out of the Fog.  I'll watch it again.  Lol. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fedya said:

My TV says October. :huh::unsure: 

Tuesday, November 6

REMAKE-2-popup.jpg

12:30  Colorado Territory (1949).  With Joel McCrea, Virginia Mayo and Dorothy Malone.

• Like 1

Well, in the US at least, it was "The Ascent" at 4AM today. What a powerful film. Too bad the director didn't live longer so we could see what she could have done without that Iron Curtain constraining her.

Starting this afternoon we have tons of precode goodness, a large swathe of it being due to Glenda Farrell's first night as SOTM.

2:30PM Susan Slept Here (1954) A Christmas movie (kind of) that sounds creepy on paper, but on screen it works. A middle aged screenwriter (Dick Powell) marries teenager Susan (Debbie Reynolds) in name only to keep her out of trouble with the law, much to the chagrin of Powell's fiancee. Glenda Farrell has a minor role here as Powell's friend.

5:30PM Heat Lightning (1934) - We have entered bizarro world with normally wholesome Aline MacMahon as the sadder but wiser girl running  a gas station trying to protect her innocent naive little sister (Ann Dvorak ????).  Talk about your oddball casting! But still a hard hitting precode.

6:45 PM Dark Hazard (1934) -Glenda is actually in this film in a supporting role. Eddie G., a compulsive gambler, forms a bond with "Dark Hazard", a racing dog. Will he choose his wife or his dog? Easy question today, not so much in 1934.

8:00 PM Little Caesar (1930)  - Robinson's star making role that pigeon-holed him to some degree as good for mainly gangster roles. Glenda has a minor role here, and is very mild compared to her later parts.

9:30PM I Was a Fugitve From a Chain Gang (1932) - Hard hitting film about prison conditions in the south. Funny to have this film and Little Caesar back to back, because Paul Muni became "Mr. Paul Muni" because he could play anybody, but I don't think Edward G. Robinson ever got the respect he deserved although he really had the same talent.
11:15PM Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933) - was supposed to be a color musical, but WB made a horror instead after musicals fell out of vogue.  Glenda is a fast talking reporter. I like this precode version better than the remake in the 50s, which only has Vincent Price as a selling point over this one.
12:45AM Secret Bride (1935) - This is really Stanwyck's film, but Glenda is in it.
2:00 AM The Match King (1932) - Warren William in one of his great precode roles, who, in the end, finally meets his match. I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself with that last remark.
3:30AM Big Shakedown (1934) - This has aired before in a HORRIBLE print. I'm recording just in case it is a cleaner print now.
4:45 AM Aggie Appleby, Maker of Men (1933) This really has no big stars in it, and maybe that is why it plays so rarely. It is really a funny precode film. I recommend it if you have not seen it before.

Tuesday:
6:15PM -Primrose Path (1940) - Not a precode of course, but it strains the code as Ginger Rogers is a girl who angers her family by NOT wanting to join the world's oldest profession.

• Like 1

Some people thought that Ginger's performance in Primrose Path helped her win the Oscar for Kitty Foyle.

I certainly agree about Warren William in The Match King. One of the best performances for that year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wednesday, November 7

this_is_theBlot.web_original.jpg

6:30 a.m.  The Blot (1921).  Lois Weber silent featuring Louis Calhern.  I knew Calhern was in silents but I didn’t know his career stretched this far back.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, November 7

this_is_theBlot.web_original.jpg

6:30 a.m.  The Blot (1921).  Lois Weber silent featuring Louis Calhern.  I knew Calhern was in silents but I didn’t know his career stretched this far back.

This is a movie the viewer needs to stick with. It seems to go slowly at the start, but becomes very engaging. The acting is solid all around. A very charming film.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, kingrat said:

Some people thought that Ginger's performance in Primrose Path helped her win the Oscar for Kitty Foyle.

I agree, but PRIMROSE PATH belongs to MARJORIE RAMBEAU who got an Oscar nomination for it in what was I think the strongest year for the Best Supporting Actress category ever. She is AMAZING in it.

PRIMROSE PATH is the most PreCode PostCode movie I can think of.

For Wednesday night, Diane, based on the life of the sixteenth-century courtesan Diane de Poitiers, is a true costume drama. Walter Plunkett created one glamorous gown after another for Lana Turner. They are truly spectacular. Not one of the great historical films, but Lana is lovely, so is the young and hunky Roger Moore, and Marisa Pavan deserved an Oscar nomination as Catherine de Medici. I'd love to see this on the big screen sometime.

Thursday, November 8

Another evening of silents from Women Film Pioneers which are all worth seeing.

hqdefault.jpg

10:15 p.m.  Something New (1920).  This one is directed by and stars Nell Shipman.

• Thanks 1

Instead of looking for an old thread(or starting another), I'll mention yet another odd thing about THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES....

In one scene, Fred asks Al how long he's been married, and Al answers, "Twenty years."

??

In those days, it would be customary for people to not marry until they were well into their 20's.  And since I'm guessing the story of this movie takes place in '45 instead of the movie's release year of '46, this would make Al well into his 40's when ENTERING service into the war, as we didn't get REAL active in the Japanese theater until early '42.  

I thought that the armed forces weren't accepting men over 35 or so at that time.  Al would have had to have been a CAREER army soldier to be able to fight combat missions in WWII at that age( I'm guessing).

I've seen this movie probably over 100 times over the last 50 years, but this didn't strike me until last night! :o

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Friday, November 9/10

lady-street-fighter-lg.jpg

2:30 a.m.  Lady Street Fighter (1981).  What appears to be an Americanization of the Street Fighter films

WE7e5wtZ.jpg

4 a.m.  Sister Street Fighter (1975).  The original Sonny Chiba Street Fighter.

• Like 1