Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

7,195 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, November 9/10

2:30 a.m.  Lady Street Fighter (1981).  What appears to be an Americanization of the Street Fighter films

4 a.m.  Sister Street Fighter (1975).  The original Sonny Chiba Street Fighter.

Lady Street Fighter is a so-bad-it's-good exploitation movie. It fails on almost every level, except for being hilarious. It was recently released on a remastered Blu-ray by the fine folks at AGFA (American Genre Film Archive) who specialize in releasing cleaned up copies of some of cinemas all-time worst and weirdest. The disc also includes Revenge of Lady Street Fighter, which was never released before.

91QH5+D-P2L._SX342_.jpg

Sister Street Fighter isn't bad. It's the third entry in the Japanese Street Fighter series featuring Sonny Chiba, who takes a reduced role here, ceding the lead to Etsuko Shiomi. There would be two more movies in the series. All 5 were released in the same year.

Here she elbows a guy in the forearm, causing excruciating pain.

800__sister_street_fighter_blu-ray_4.jpg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, November 9/10

lady-street-fighter-lg.jpg

2:30 a.m.  Lady Street Fighter (1981).  What appears to be an Americanization of the Street Fighter films

WE7e5wtZ.jpg

Bogie, that movie must be phone-lickin' good!

Saturday, November 10

“Ve put all ze rotten eggs in vun basket”

The+Great+Escape.JPG

1:45 p.m.  The Great Escape (1963).

• Like 3

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:03 AM, LawrenceA said:

Lady Street Fighter is a so-bad-it's-good exploitation movie. It fails on almost every level, except for being hilarious. It was recently released on a remastered Blu-ray by the fine folks at AGFA (American Genre Film Archive) who specialize in releasing cleaned up copies of some of cinemas all-time worst and weirdest. The disc also includes Revenge of Lady Street Fighter, which was never released before.

91QH5+D-P2L._SX342_.jpg

Sister Street Fighter isn't bad. It's the third entry in the Japanese Street Fighter series featuring Sonny Chiba, who takes a reduced role here, ceding the lead to Etsuko Shiomi. There would be two more movies in the series. All 5 were released in the same year.

Here she elbows a guy in the forearm, causing excruciating pain.

800__sister_street_fighter_blu-ray_4.jpg

This is why I stay up all night for TCM Underground; cheesy exploitation movies that are hilariously bad or ridiculously 70s/80s. But in Canada, We do get Lady Street Fighter but instead of Sister Street Fighter we get:

D2aNog4.jpg

They aren't lying about Kurt Thomas, he won multiple gold medals in the 70s. It doesn't look good in any shape or form that isn't "so bad it's hilarious" and they still continued to produce it despite the premise.

• Like 3

Gymkata is an amazing movie. One of the 10 best/worst of the 1980's, in my opinion.

1. Rock'n'Roll Nightmare (1987)
  2. Night Train to Terror (1985)
  3. Black Devil Doll from Hell (1984)
  4. Runaway Nightmare (1982)
  5. Miami Connection (1987)
  6. Wizards of the Lost Kingdom (1985)
  7. Gymkata (1985)
  8. Splatter Farm (1987)
  9. Las Vegas Bloodbath (1989)
  10. Hell of the Living Dead (1980)
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Gymkata is an amazing movie. One of the 10 best/worst of the 1980's, in my opinion.

1. Rock'n'Roll Nightmare (1987)
  2. Night Train to Terror (1985)
  3. Black Devil Doll from Hell (1984)
  4. Runaway Nightmare (1982)
  5. Miami Connection (1987)
  6. Wizards of the Lost Kingdom (1985)
  7. Gymkata (1985)
  8. Splatter Farm (1987)
  9. Las Vegas Bloodbath (1989)
  10. Hell of the Living Dead (1980)

Gymkata is by all means very bad but I think Las Vegas Bloodbath is much, much worse (and also more boring). 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

I think Las Vegas Bloodbath is much, much worse (and also more boring). 

What, you didn't like the lengthy scenes of girls watching women's wrestling on TV? :lol:

• Haha 1

Not really a hit or a miss...but what kind of weird weekend schedule is this? It's rather like they are trying to do three days of war movies for Veteran's Day ... sort of.  TCM still has noir alley on this weekend, they have a non war theme tonight, and Raisin in the Sun shows up on one of the days.

• Confused 1

On 11/4/2018 at 4:44 PM, speedracer5 said:

I guess we'll find out which is right on Wednesday AM.  Lol. 

UPDATE! 

Apparently my Dish guide has decided to show me the Canadian TCM schedule, despite living in Oregon--which last I checked, was still part of the United States.  I checked the recording, labeled as Out of the Fog, but is Hard, Fast and Beautiful when you play the film.

Right now, the 8:30 film is showing as Northern Pursuit with Errol Flynn.  Great! I thought.  An Errol Flynn film I haven't seen.  But that film isn't on the American schedule.  It's on the Canadian schedule! 

Oh Dish. What are you doing?

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

UPDATE! 

Apparently my Dish guide has decided to show me the Canadian TCM schedule, despite living in Oregon--which last I checked, was still part of the United States.  I checked the recording, labeled as Out of the Fog, but is Hard, Fast and Beautiful when you play the film.

Right now, the 8:30 film is showing as Northern Pursuit with Errol Flynn.  Great! I thought.  An Errol Flynn film I haven't seen.  But that film isn't on the American schedule.  It's on the Canadian schedule! 

Oh Dish. What are you doing?

Wasn't leaving the United States to join Canada on the Oregon ballot last week?

• Haha 6

Sunday, November 11/12

WEBSimon%20of%20the%20Desert.jpg

5:15 a.m.  Simon of the Desert (1965).  This Luis Bunuel film is short but sweet.

• Like 1

All of this week-ends war movies are about WW II.  Nothing on WW I, Korea, Vietnam, etc. except for The Eagle and the Hawk (WW I) on Sunday.

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, TheCid said:

All of this week-ends war movies are about WW II.  Nothing on WW I, Korea, Vietnam, etc. except for The Eagle and the Hawk (WW I) on Sunday.

Yeah, they should show "From 5 PM to 5 AM" which stars the notorious James Joseph Dresnok. An even better Korean War flick than "Unsung Heroes."

from_5pm_to_5am-cg03990522-55-191.jpg

Sunday 3:30 a.m:

World Without End

Nancy Gates and Shawn Smith in high heels and miniskirts. This is the future. Also, Rod Taylor shirtless.

3 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

Sunday 3:30 a.m:

World Without End

Nancy Gates and Shawn Smith in high heels and miniskirts. This is the future. Also, Rod Taylor shirtless.

Probably the only good things in the movie.  Have it on DVD and watched it once.  Kind of dull.

5 hours ago, TheCid said:

Yes, it's kind of surprising not more WW I films are airing, especially since Nov 11 marks the 100th anniversary of the end of WW I.

• Like 2

Monday, November 12

p11505_i_h12_ac.jpg?d=270x360&q=60

8 p.m.  Smart Blonde (1936).  The introduction of Glenda Farrell’s Torchy Blaine.

• Thanks 1

Just before that is Hi, Nellie!, which is the first of four versions of the same story WB made in the 30s and 40s.  The second one, Love Is on the Air, was Ronald Reagan's first movie.

• Like 1

Tuesday, November 13

honeymoonkillers-2.jpg

3:15 p.m.  The Honeymoon Killers (1969).  Both Shirley Stoler and Tony LoBianco are very creepy in this.  Fans may want to check out the Mexican remake Deep Crimson (1996) which in some respects is even weirder.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, November 13

honeymoonkillers-2.jpg

3:15 p.m.  The Honeymoon Killers (1969).  Both Shirley Stoler and Tony LoBianco are very creepy in this.  Fans may want to check out the Mexican remake Deep Crimson (1996) which in some respects is even weirder.

There's also Lonely Hearts (2006), featuring Salma Hayek and Jared Leto as the killers, while John Travolta and James Gandolfini play cops who compete for largest hat size.

I can't say that I'd recommend that version, though, despite the presence of Salma Hayek.

27 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

There's also Lonely Hearts (2006), featuring Salma Hayek and Jared Leto as the killers, while John Travolta and James Gandolfini play cops who compete for largest hat size.

I can't say that I'd recommend that version, though, despite the presence of Salma Hayek.

Way too beautiful and kind of defeats the purpose of the whole movie.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, November 13

honeymoonkillers-2.jpg

Watched this years ago and very disappointed.

Wednesday, November 14

eskimo.jpg?w=584&h=329

12:30 p.m.  Eskimo (1933).  I highly recommend this W.S. Van Dyke film which stars Mala.