Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

7,200 posts in this topic

Friday, November 23

10646988_1.jpg?v=8CDE769A3479DF0

4 p.m.  Gunga Din (1939).   As a kid I used to hear my mother say “you’re a better man than I am, Gunga Din” and wonder what the heck she was on about.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, November 23

10646988_1.jpg?v=8CDE769A3479DF0

4 p.m.  Gunga Din (1939).   As a kid I used to hear my mother say “you’re a better man than I am, Gunga Din” and wonder what the heck she was on about.

My mother used to say Quando si mangia si combate con la morte whenever my brother and I were fooling around at the dinner table.

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

My mother used to say Quando si mangia si combate con la morte whenever my brother and I were fooling around at the dinner table.

And my mother used to tell me that I belonged on the stage.

(...and then would finish with: "There's one leaving town tomorrow. Be sure to be on it!")

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Dargo said:

And my mother used to tell me that I belonged on the stage.

(...and then would finish with: "There's one leaving town tomorrow. Be sure to be on it!")

And my mother used to say, "Get OUT!!!" a lot when I was a kid.

Not quite as endearing as "You're a better man than I, Gunga Din," is it?

11 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Maybe she was a fan of Ralph Kramden.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Not quite as endearing as "You're a better man than I, Gunga Din," is it?

Your mom wouldn't have have been related to Julia Louis-Dreyfus would she, Tom?...

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Saturday, November 24

13.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: I-ski, Love-ski, You-ski (1933).

atraco-perfecto-mascaras.jpg

12:45 a.m.  The Killing (1956).  Great Stanley Kubrick heist film with Sterling Hayden.  If you miss it, it is on again on Sunday at 10 a.m.

8 hours ago, Dargo said:

Your mom wouldn't have have been related to Julia Louis-Dreyfus would she, Tom?...

giphy.gif

Not quite as forceful. Actually Mom just exercised a desire for a little bit of sanity in wanting a kid like me out of the house. She had enough things to deal with without having me being under her feet.

9 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, November 24

atraco-perfecto-mascaras.jpg

12:45 a.m.  The Killing (1956).  Great Stanley Kubrick heist film with Sterling Hayden.  If you miss it, it is on again on Sunday at 10 a.m.

I assume The Killing is the Noir Alley feature for this week.  See Noir Alley thread.

Sunday, November 25/26

s,725-70a7f4.jpg

5:30 a.m.  Les Mistons (1957).  A short film by Francois Truffaut.  With Gerard Blain and Bernadette Lafont.

• Thanks 1

Two films I was happy to see:

Tom Thumb with Russ Tamblyn

https://russtamblynfansite.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/tom-thumb1.jpg?w=300&h=260

I've only ever seen this once and its excellent.

Plus this film starring Richard Chamberlain

http://www.thehunchblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/The-Slipper-and-the-Rose-6.png

One of my favorite fairy tales on top of that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ClassicMovies_fan_chick said:

Truly one of the WORST films ever that really doesn't deserve to be called a cult classic:

https://media2.fdncms.com/charleston/imager/u/magnum/15724331/myqkddo.jpg

P.S. The fact that they're trading cards for them is just pointless.

It would help if you would include the actual movie titles in your posts.  I have no idea which movies you are pointing out.

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

It would help if you would include the actual movie titles in your posts.  I have no idea which movies you are pointing out.

It was The Garbage Pail Kids Movie, on last night on TCM Underground. A terrible movie that has somehow managed to generate more discussion on this message board than any other single movie in recent memory, as this marks at least the third thread talking about it.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Monday, November 26

33a-girl-missing-1933-still-gm-37-glenda

3:45 p.m.  Girl Missing (1933).  Looks like this Glenda Farrell film received some good reviews.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Don't miss TCM Imports tonight. They are showing Francois Truffaut's The Last Metro, one of the greatest films of the 80s. Set your DVRs!

That may be overstating it a bit, but I agree that The Last Metro is very good and is recommended viewing.

I'd also recommend The Magician on tonight's Silent Sunday showing. Here's what I wrote about it when I watched it last year:

The Magician (1926) - Strange horror tale from unlikely director Rex Ingram and less likely source novelist W. Somerset Maugham. Doctor Oliver Haddo (Paul Wegener) is a surgeon, hypnotist and magician interested in creating life from nothingness. He finds an obscure ritual that requires the blood of a virgin, so he sets his sights on Margaret Dauncey (Alice Terry), a sculptress who recently underwent surgery. Haddo's overbearing attention doesn't sit well with either Margaret or her boyfriend Arthur (Ivan Petrovich). Also featuring Firmin Gemier, Gladys Hamer, Henry Wilson, and Hubert Stowitts.

This is an odd story, a mix of Svengali, Frankenstein and other mad scientist tales to come. James Whale later remarked that the lab scenes near the end of this inspired his own thoughts on Frankenstein 5 years later. Wegener mugs like mad as the evil Haddo, while Terry looks understandably worried. There's one stand-out sequence when Haddo shows Margaret a lurid glimpse at a hellish landscape with cavorting satyrs that's pretty memorable.   7/10

Source: TCM

1926themagician3.jpg

10623793.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

3:45 p.m.  Girl Missing (1933).  Looks like this Glenda Farrell film received some good reviews.

Glenda has a jaw-dropping line when she and her fellow gold-digger get a "Dear John" letter from their sugar daddy Guy Kibbee.

• Thanks 1

Tuesday, November 27

800__a_soldiers_story_blu-ray_4_.jpg

8 p.m.  A Soldier’s Story (1984).  This Norman Jewison film is full of great performances, especially one by Adolph Caesar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Wednesday, November 28

grahame-oscar-bad-and-the-beautiful.jpg

4:30 p.m.  The Bad and the Beautiful (1952).  Featuring Gloria Grahme’s Oscar winning performance.

Thursday, November 29

obsession-5.jpg

12:30.  Obsession aka The Hidden Room (1949).  This Robert Newton film looks like it might be good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11/28/2018

STARTING AT 8:00 PM:

JANE RUSSELL (ahem) DOUBLE FEATURE!

THE OUTLAW at 8:00- which I have actually never seen!

and HIS KIND OF WOMAN (1952) on afterwards which I have seen and do highly recommend. Vincent Price gives a performance that would make Timothy Carey weep and snarl in envy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

11/28/2018

STARTING AT 8:00 PM:

JANE RUSSELL (ahem) DOUBLE FEATURE!

THE OUTLAW at 8:00- which I have actually never seen!

and HIS KIND OF WOMAN (1952) on afterwards which I have seen and do highly recommend. Vincent Price gives a performance that would make Timothy Carey weep and snarl in envy.

I'll be interested in your comments after seeing The Outlaw. 

As for His Kind of Woman;  This is my second favorite Mitchum film,  but yea,  Price does somewhat steal the picture.    

Also some nice music in the film.

Friday, November 30

hqdefault.jpg

3:45 a.m.  I Was a Teenage Serial Killer (1993).  The imdb has a great tagline: “See the horror of righteous dismemberment!  Feel the triumph when sexist pigs are wasted!  Hear the screams of terror!  Join May, America’s favorite female serial killer, who kills off dumb men.”

And I bet that there are lots of those men to go around.  How can a film live up to this?

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, November 30

hqdefault.jpg

3:45 a.m.  I Was a Teenage Serial Killer (1993).  The imdb has a great tagline: “See the horror of righteous dismemberment!  Feel the triumph when sexist pigs are wasted!  Hear the screams of terror!  Join May, America’s favorite female serial killer, who kills off dumb men.”

And I bet that there are lots of those men to go around.  How can a film live up to this?

Well, this is one I haven’t heard of, but it sure sounds like a winner. Filmmaker Sarah Jacobson made the film for $1600 (her parents coughed up a third of the money), using volunteers and equipment from the San Francisco Art Institute, which she was attending at the time. George Kuchar, her instructor and an underground filmmaker, praised her work, saying the film has “an inventive rage of visual and aural atrocities that chews the film to bits and spits it in your face for maximum message output.” As for Jacobson, perhaps her desire for making such films can be gleaned from her own experiences: “Girls like me were the b i t c h. In high school especially if you have something to say and you’re fat you’re a b i t c h twice as fast because you have no place in society. There’s an idea women can’t take up vocal space, or physical space; there’s no room for them to be real people, just objects.”

Be on the lookout for how the female lead retaliates against men using knives, rat poison, and a Dustbuster. I wonder if anyone will consider this a noir.

1CWtWDR.png

• Like 3