7,180 posts in this topic

Eh, WHAT?

An actual film ABOUT Pearl Harbor shown ON Pearl Harbor Day! :o

What WILL they think of NEXT?

Sepiatone

6 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, December 7

hqdefault.jpg

1:45 p.m.  December 7th: The Movie (1943).  John Ford’s Oscar winning  “documentary” short with Walter Huston as Uncle Sam and Dana Andrews as a sailor’s ghost!

Never realized how much Dana Andrews looked like John Wayne! :)

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Saturday, December 8

popeye-wimpy-dinner.jpg?w=560&h=416

10 a.m.  Popeye: What-No Spinach (1936).

Saturday, December 8th

9:30 a.m. Mandrake, the Magician: Terror Rides the Rails (1939)13zqs5d.jpg

Every Saturday morning minus Veteran's Day weekend for the past couple of months with episode 9 ending a few minutes ago in all it's cheesy, narmy glory. Where Mandrake is in dire peril at the end of the obligatory cliffhanger but the preview shows he's completely unscathed from the cliffhanger in question, still hunting for The Wasp, played by ???. Chase well with Popeye.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ampersand said:

Saturday, December 8th

9:30 a.m. Mandrake, the Magician: Terror Rides the Rails (1939)13zqs5d.jpg

Every Saturday morning minus Veteran's Day weekend for the past couple of months with episode 9 ending a few minutes ago in all it's cheesy, narmy glory. Where Mandrake is in dire peril at the end of the obligatory cliffhanger but the preview shows he's completely unscathed from the cliffhanger in question, still hunting for The Wasp, played by ???. Chase well with Popeye.

My wife and I watched the fires few of these.  BORING!  I remember serials and these are just plain no good.  Surely TCM can find better ones.  Incidentally, Mandrake does not appear to be in peril at the end of any episode I watched, not as in the other serials of the era.

• Thanks 1

Christmas in Connecticut (8:15 Sunday) and It Happened on Fifth Ave. (8:00 PM Sunday) are coming up.  Connecticut is far better, but Fifth Ave. is fairly entertaining even if a bit syrupy.

And for Noir fans, Too Late for Tears followed by Out of the Past.  10AM and 12 PM on Sunday.  Tears also on Sat night at midnight.

• Thanks 1

There are quite a few good films on Sunday. One of the less familiar is O. Henry's Full House (1952), five short films based on O. Henry stories, each directed by a different director, and some segments are much better than others. Farley Granger and Jeanne Crain certainly make an attractive couple for "The Gift of the Magi," but my favorite episodes are "The Cop and the Anthem" with Charles Laughton and David Wayne--Laughton wonderfully theatrical and Wayne simply real--and "The Last Leaf," brilliantly directed by Jean Negulesco. Jean Peters and Gregory Ratoff (in  perhaps their best performances?) go to heroic lengths to give Peters' sister (Anne Baxter) the will to live.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Monday, December 10

PrivateLives5.png

12:45 p.m.  Private Lives (1931).  Norma Shearer and Robert Montgomery star in this Noel Coward comedy.

Pathsofglory6.jpg

10:15 p.m.  Paths of Glory (1957).  The entire cast shines in this Stanley Kubrick classic.  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, kingrat said:

There are quite a few good films on Sunday. One of the less familiar is O. Henry's Full House (1952), five short films based on O. Henry stories, each directed by a different director, and some segments are much better than others. Farley Granger and Jeanne Crain certainly make an attractive couple for "The Gift of the Magi," but my favorite episodes are "The Cop and the Anthem" with Charles Laughton and David Wayne--Laughton wonderfully theatrical and Wayne simply real--and "The Last Leaf," brilliantly directed by Jean Negulesco. Jean Peters and Gregory Ratoff (in  perhaps their best performances?) go to heroic lengths to give Peters' sister (Anne Baxter) the will to live.

Thanks, kingrat, for skirting the fact that Marilyn Monroe appears in The Cop and the Anthem segment.

Everyone's so Monroe obsessed, it seems. Monroe this, Monroe that. She has a small role in an early film in her career and it's all they talk about regarding that film.

What's the fascination, I ask you?

7b677b058a685073706d26b9f847d8f3.jpg

1008-MARILYN-MONROE-Bathing-Suit-On-Beac

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1cRLKrIuxTG-YXsoPDqD

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Thank goodness I'm too grounded for anything like that!

Oh, wait. here's another:

f63600c9bb09602af6469cd55bdb80dd--summer

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, December 10

Pathsofglory6.jpg

10:15 p.m.  Paths of Glory (1957).  The entire cast shines in this Stanley Kubrick classic.  

I'll say they shine in this anti-war classic, Bogie.

One of the performers perhaps a little less celebrated than the others in this film, though, is Richard Anderson, on the left in your photo. But I think his smugness throughout the trial sequence works well, confirming what a kangaroo court it is.

But perhaps my favourite Anderson moment in the film (SPOILER ALERT!) is at the executions. The smug look on his face has been replaced by a look of clear discomfort as he, who had played such a key role in what is about to happen, just wants to get the heck out of there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

on Mon. 12-10, sounds like fun :unsure:

3:30 PM

drama

Synopsis: When his ex-wife is murdered, a hard-living lawyer defends the chief suspect.
DirGeorge B. Seitz CastOtto Kruger , Una Merkel , Ben Lyon .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

😧 George B. Seitz. Otto Kruger, Una Merkel, Ben Lyon, Isabel Jewell, Roscoe Karns, Irene Hervey, C. Henry Gordon, Samuel S. Hinds.

"Kruger hams it up in fine style as a brilliant, unethical criminal lawyer who drinks and womanizes because his wife ran out on him. When he takes on a murder case and learns the victim is his ex-wife, he cleans up his act and seeks justice. Fairly engrossing MGM programmer with a smashing, nick-of-time finale."

22 hours ago, TheCid said:

My wife and I watched the fires few of these [MANDRAKE THE MAGICIAN SERIALS].  BORING!  I remember serials and these are just plain no good.  Surely TCM can find better ones.  Incidentally, Mandrake does not appear to be in peril at the end of any episode I watched, not as in the other serials of the era.

I want to like film serials in general, but besides the FLASH GORDON ones (and even those can be trying at times) I'm "eh" on what TCM has shown.

However, the MANDRAKE serial CANNOT POSSIBLY BE WORSE than the 1943 BATMAN serial they showed a couple of years back on Saturday mornings on TCM.

Man, that thing was AGONY.

• Like 1

Tonight (12/9)'s SILENT SUNDAY feature is BEN HUR: A TALE OF THE CHRIST, the 1925(?) version that is VASTLY SUPERIOR (but just as gay) in every single respect to the 1959 hunk o'trash.

ben-hur-3.jpg?w=470

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tuesday, December 11

markofzorro1920.326473_041820140451.jpg

4:30 a.m.  The Mark of Zorro (1920).  Featuring Douglas Fairbanks who was once one of the biggest movie stars in the entire world.

Tonight 12/10 at 9 PM are two Laurel and Hardy shorts -Helpmates and Towed in a Hole. They haven't been on TCM in a while so you may not want to miss them.

I can't tell if it is a hit or miss or anything, because Wed. night December 12 has TBA on all schedules from 8PM to 6AM. Does anybody know what is going on?

1 hour ago, calvinnme said:

I can't tell if it is a hit or miss or anything, because Wed. night December 12 has TBA on all schedules from 8PM to 6AM. Does anybody know what is going on?

It has to do with the National Film Registry. TCM will be showing some of the newly inducted films, but the announcement of said films hasn't been made public yet, so the schedule remains TBA.

• Thanks 2

On 12/9/2018 at 4:08 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

Tonight (12/9)'s SILENT SUNDAY feature is BEN HUR: A TALE OF THE CHRIST, the 1925(?) version that is VASTLY SUPERIOR (but just as gay) in every single respect to the 1959 hunk o'trash.

ben-hur-3.jpg?w=470

But it wasnt in 70mm or color! :D

Sydney Pollack gets the heebie-jeebies thinking about that chariot race.  :D

• Haha 1

On 12/9/2018 at 4:08 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

It also features nudity and adult situations.

Two hellishly enjoyable films on Friday, December 14: 

At 7 am, TCM throws its holiday party:

28-dorothy-mackaill.jpg

... and at 3:30 pm, TCM lights its Christmas tree:

1*m0-KdZGFROK8DDBVov6C4g.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

It has to do with the National Film Registry. TCM will be showing some of the newly inducted films, but the announcement of said films hasn't been made public yet, so the schedule remains TBA.

This may be a good evening.

Wednesday, December 12

Evening is TBA