Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,608 posts in this topic

I really cannot stand Susan Sarandon as Gloria Steinem (oh, it was Marmee) in the 1994 Little Women. Marmee in the book and on screen may be self-sacrificing and sentimental and, well, "smarmee" to a fault at times, but that's the authentic character. That's the authentic nineteenth century. Jo's proto-feminism in the novel is convincing and moving because it comes out of her character, not out of ideology. Hepburn is by far the best Jo because the brains and tomboyishness and discomfort with the prevailing ethos are all part of her own character, too. It's my favorite Hepburn performance. Hepburn, Cukor, and most of the actors in the 1930s version all understand the world Alcott wrote about because it shaped the world they grew up in. Things had greatly changed by the 1990s.

The 1940s Little Women is better than its reputation, if inferior to Cukor in the 1930s. June Allyson is often better than I expect, and that's true here, too. If Allyson isn't much of a tomboy, she's much stronger than she appears to be. Peter Lawford is ideally cast as the charming and attractive but ultimately weak Laurie.

Winona Ryder seems like a natural Beth rather than a natural Jo. The miscast Sarandon, however, makes the 90s version unwatchable for me. In her younger days, Sarandon might have made an effective Jo or Meg.

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, kingrat said:

I really cannot stand Susan Sarandon as Gloria Steinem (oh, it was Marmee) in the 1994 Little Women. Marmee in the book and on screen may be self-sacrificing and sentimental and, well, "smarmee" to a fault at times, but that's the authentic character. That's the authentic nineteenth century. Jo's proto-feminism in the novel is convincing and moving because it comes out of her character, not out of ideology. Hepburn is by far the best Jo because the brains and tomboyishness and discomfort with the prevailing ethos are all part of her own character, too. It's my favorite Hepburn performance. Hepburn, Cukor, and most of the actors in the 1930s version all understand the world Alcott wrote about because it shaped the world they grew up in. Things had greatly changed by the 1990s.

The 1940s Little Women is better than its reputation, if inferior to Cukor in the 1930s. June Allyson is often better than I expect, and that's true here, too. If Allyson isn't much of a tomboy, she's much stronger than she appears to be. Peter Lawford is ideally cast as the charming and attractive but ultimately weak Laurie.

Winona Ryder seems like a natural Beth rather than a natural Jo. The miscast Sarandon, however, makes the 90s version unwatchable for me. In her younger days, Sarandon might have made an effective Jo or Meg.

We seem to agree on absolutely nothing lately, movie-wise. But then again, I seem to not be on the same wavelength as anyone around here anymore. I can't decide whether that's a sad development or a gratifying one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Gratifying, Lawrence, gratifying, because we get to hear your opinions, which are always thoughtful and well-expressed.

Tuesday, December 18

GungaDin_1939_GD-455.jpg

3:30 p.m.  Gunga Din (1939).  No one suffers from bonespurs in this action adventure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, December 18

GungaDin_1939_GD-455.jpg

3:30 p.m.  Gunga Din (1939).  No one suffers from bonespurs in this action adventure.

One of the great action comedy adventures. And to think that Grant and Fairbanks decided which role they would have on the toss of a coin. Glad the coin landed the way it did.

Wednesday, December 19

oliver-twist-john-howard-davies-robert-n

9:45 p.m.  Oliver Twist (1948).  Charles Dickens classic by David Lean.  Robert Newton has never been better.  And young Oliver, played by future head of BBC Comedy John Howard Davies is damned good too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, December 19

9:45 p.m.  Oliver Twist (1948).  Charles Dickens classic by David Lean.  Robert Newton has never been better.  And young Oliver, played by future head of BBC Comedy John Howard Davies is damned good too.

this is a strange one for me, because the lead is actually appealing and many of the performances are better than 1968's OLIVER! and yet...damned if I know why, but I like OLIVER! better.

• Like 2

Thursday, December 20

bsnvroxvgmyobig.jpg

2:15 p.m.  Anna and the King of Siam (1946).  I’m not sure how PC this is today but Rex Harrison is very good as the King.  Is it more PC to have a Russian play the King of Siam?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Rex was okay............ but NO one can beat THIS guy, whatever his origin! ;)

giphy.gif

"So let it be written"  ... er, wrong film

Friday, December 21/22

goodvsevil.jpg

4:15 a.m.  Santa Claus (1959).  This is one very screwy Mexican film.  Best seen under the influence of heavy drugs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Saturday, December 22

What, no Popeye!

MV5BNTk1NDI5ZDQtMTc5ZC00M2Y5LTk2YWItN2Mz

9:30 a.m.  Ben-Hur (1959).  Great chariot race and it has Jesus in it too.

Sunday, December 23

Well cut me liver it’s time for …

acc1a_758_426_81_s.jpg

10 p.m.  A Christmas Carol  (1951).  With Alastair Sim as Scrooge.  I’ve seen this film more often than any other.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2018 at 1:34 AM, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, December 22

What, no Popeye!

MV5BNTk1NDI5ZDQtMTc5ZC00M2Y5LTk2YWItN2Mz

9:30 a.m.  Ben-Hur (1959).  Great chariot race and it has Jesus in it too.

That picture isn't in the film's aspect ratio.  It's going to give Sydney Pollack the heebie-jeebies.

Dec. 22: Christmas movies: Remember the Night, Christmas in Connecticut and Period of AdjustmentRTN and CIC are both very good and feature Barbara Stanwyck.  She handles differing roles very well, as usual.  POA is OK and is an early Jane Fonda movie.  I've seen it a couple of times and some how it just doesn't come together for me.  The actors seem to overplay their roles.

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

Dec. 22: Christmas movies: Remember the Night, Christmas in Connecticut and Period of AdjustmentRTN and CIC are both very good and feature Barbara Stanwyck.  She handles differing roles very well, as usual.  POA is OK and is an early Jane Fonda movie.  I've seen it a couple of times and some how it just doesn't come together for me.  The actors seem to overplay their roles.

As for Period of Adjustment; yea,  this was a play that did well and when it was made into a movie the movie looks too 'staged' and so does the acting (overplayed like you said).    But still I find myself watching it because Jane, 'staged' or not, is worth looking at!    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

As for Period of Adjustment; yea,  this was a play that did well and when it was made into a movie the movie looks too 'staged' and so does the acting (overplayed like you said).    But still I find myself watching it because Jane, 'staged' or not, is worth looking at!    

My favorite Jane Fonda movie from that period is Sunday in New York.  Light, but very entertaining and the directing and acting was well done.

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

My favorite Jane Fonda movie from that period is Sunday in New York.  Light, but very entertaining and the directing and acting was well done.

SINY is also my favorite Fonda film from that period (with Walk on the Wild Side being another but that is an entirely different type of film).

The funny thing about SINY is before seeing it I would often confuse Cliff Robertson with Rod Taylor.   Seeing them in a film together helped me get over that confusion.   

• Like 1

Sun. premiere looks pretty good....

8:00 PM (ET)

drama

Synopsis: A minister's family torn apart by World War II reunites for the Christmas holidays.
DirGeorge More O'Ferrall CastRalph Richardson , Celia Johnson , Denholm Elliott .

".... More than many films, The Holly and the Ivy captures the unique experience of adult siblings--who grew up together and shared strong bonds in childhood--now unsure of what is really happening in each other's lives and struggling to reconnect during the one time of year, Christmas, when they are thrown together again...

"literate and deftly played by the cast of fine performers." 

• Like 2

Monday, December 24

vg_littlewomen33.jpg

7:30 a.m.  Little Women (1933).  George Cukor film with Katharine Hepburn and Joan Bennett.

• Like 1

:huh:

Wasn't that JUST ON recently?

What---- are they trying to replace NORTH BY NORTHWEST with it as the most frequently repeated movie?  ;)

Sepiatone

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

:huh:

Wasn't that JUST ON recently?

What---- are they trying to replace NORTH BY NORTHWEST with it as the most frequently repeated movie?  ;)

Sepiatone

I'll be content with my monthly showing of The Best Years of Our Lives.

• Haha 1

Jeremy Arnold @jt_arn 4h4 hours ago

Just a reminder that THE HOLLY AND THE IVY is on @tcm tonight at 8pm prior to A Christmas Carol.

HOLLY is very hard to otherwise see in the U.S. This will be its first-ever TCM broadcast! I offer a bit more in this little video.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

TCMVerified account @tcm

#ChristmasInTheMovies author @jt_arn shares his thoughts on the little-seen British gem THE HOLLY AND THE IVY ('52). See it at 8pm ET on December 23rd.