Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,904 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Jeremy Arnold @jt_arn 4h4 hours ago

Just a reminder that THE HOLLY AND THE IVY is on @tcm tonight at 8pm prior to A Christmas Carol.

HOLLY is very hard to otherwise see in the U.S. This will be its first-ever TCM broadcast! I offer a bit more in this little video.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

TCMVerified account @tcm

#ChristmasInTheMovies author @jt_arn shares his thoughts on the little-seen British gem THE HOLLY AND THE IVY ('52). See it at 8pm ET on December 23rd.

MV5BNGRkMDcxNzAtNjFlMC00NWQwLTk2YTMtZTQ3

Margaret Leighton who plays Margaret Graham is good in this one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tuesday, December 25/26

hqdefault.jpg

4:30 a.m.  Never Give a Sucker an Even Break (1941).  With W.C. Fields, Franklin Pangborn and Margaret Dumont.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Jeremy Arnold @jt_arn 4h4 hours ago

Just a reminder that THE HOLLY AND THE IVY is on @tcm tonight at 8pm prior to A Christmas Carol.

HOLLY is very hard to otherwise see in the U.S. This will be its first-ever TCM broadcast! I offer a bit more in this little video.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

TCMVerified account @tcm

#ChristmasInTheMovies author @jt_arn shares his thoughts on the little-seen British gem THE HOLLY AND THE IVY ('52). See it at 8pm ET on December 23rd.

With the liquidation of Filmstruck, I wonder if we will be seeing more of these "hard to see in the U.S." films on TCM? I hope so, anyway. ;)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ampersand said:

I'll be content with my monthly showing of The Best Years of Our Lives.

I reacted with a "laugh" emoticon due to the "monthly" thing.  ;)

I recall in the BOOK "The Blackboard Jungle",  Miss Hammond(played by MARGARET HAYES in the film) discusses starting a Manual Trades newspaper/newsletter to be put out once a month.  She said, "We're thinking of calling it the Manual Trades Monthly.  Ha.  Sounds like some sort of female problem, doesn't it?"  ;)

Sepiatone

Wednesday, December 26

the Burt Reynolds memorial evening.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVkJZd4UjIvaDMuxVJTFQ

10 p.m.  Deliverance (1972).   Canoe trips will never be quite the same.

Thursday, December 27

murder_my_sweet_08.JPG

8 p.m.  Murder, My Sweet (1944).  Dick Powell makes a pretty good Marlowe.  Talk about a career reinvention.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, December 27

murder_my_sweet_08.JPG

8 p.m.  Murder, My Sweet (1944).  Dick Powell makes a pretty good Marlowe.  Talk about a career reinvention.

While not as good (in my opinion) as Mitchum's later Farewell My Lovely, it was definitely a much better movie for Powell than the sappy stuff he did earlier.  Cry Danger (1951) is another good one with Powell.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, December 27

murder_my_sweet_08.JPG

Love this photo! 

Powell, Mitchum, and Bogart are co-equals in the greatness of their performances as Marlowe, in my opinion. I don’t particularly care for Elliot Gould, but I do appreciate his take on the character in THE LONG GOODBYE and it’s also pretty great.

Laugh at me if you will, but all four of them give nomination worthy performances in their respective years.

its a great role. 

Ps- It’s been 1000 years since I’ve seen powers Boothes take on the character, I was very very young when the tv series came out and caught them on HBO. I remember thinking he was awfully sexy though.

pss- Robert Montgomery could’ve been a great Marlowe, but it was foolish for him to direct his own performance...He still, as always gets an A for effort.

• Like 1

I think the same year that MURDER MY SWEET came out, Powell and Claire Trevor and Ann Shirley reprised their roles in an hour long luxe radio theater broadcast. It’s really terrific, and it works well – I would post it if I wasn’t using my phone right now.

The thing about it though is the audience laughs often at the repartee between Powell and Anne Shirley and Powell and Claire Trevor, You would honestly think it was a hit comedy. And I think the performers had to of been taken aback by it a bit, but it’s a sign of how good the chemistry between the three is And yet it’s also A great example of how hard the road it was for Powell  to climb to prove he was a believable tough guy, even when he was doing it well.

Speaking of Powell, The Tall Target is airing early Friday Morning. It's a very good and intriguing film.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

Speaking of Powell, The Tall Target is airing early Friday Morning. It's a very good and intriguing film.

Is that the one about the assassination of Lincoln? And Powell plays a character named Kennedy?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Is that the one about the assassination of Lincoln? And Powell plays a character named Kennedy?

Yes

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

Hey, how come nobody mentioned that North By Northwest is on? Is this a premiere?

It is Rich, but only for this month!

• Haha 1

Friday, December 28

Martin_aharddaysnight.jpg

8 p.m.  A Hard Day’s Night (1964).  Now it’s time for Margaret Meehan to buzz in.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I think the same year that MURDER MY SWEET came out, Powell and Claire Trevor and Ann Shirley reprised their roles in an hour long luxe radio theater broadcast. It’s really terrific, and it works well – I would post it if I wasn’t using my phone right now.

Yes, it is terrific!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, December 28

Martin_aharddaysnight.jpg

8 p.m.  A Hard Day’s Night (1964).  Now it’s time for Margaret Meehan to buzz in.

Cripes!

I just replaced my old, mangled VHS tape of it with a new DVD re-issue.  But, if nothing on elsewhere, I might still tune in.  :)

Sepiatone

23 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

Hey, how come nobody mentioned that North By Northwest is on? Is this a premiere?

No, but it is a "Classic" that will endure for the ages.

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

No, but it is a "Classic" that will endure for the ages.

You're right. It's the only Hitchcock film I can keep watching.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scsu1975 said:

You're right. It's the only Hitchcock film I can keep watching.

REALLY? 

I mean, it’s totally legit to feel that way about NxNW, but none of the other Hitchcocks have infinite watchability for you?

NOTORIOUS? PSYCHO? SHADOW OF A DOUBT? FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT? Those are 4 right off the top of my head that I know I will watch any time.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

REALLY? 

I mean, it’s totally legit to feel that way about NxNW, but none of the other Hitchcocks have infinite watchability for you?

NOTORIOUS? PSYCHO? SHADOW OF A DOUBT? FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT? Those are 4 right off the top of my head that I know I will watch any time.

Nope.

• Like 1

Saturday, December 29

14.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Let’s Get Movin (1933).

The-Treasure-of-the-Sierra-Madre-1948.jp

4 p.m.  The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948).  Great film to see again over the holidays.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, December 29

The-Treasure-of-the-Sierra-Madre-1948.jp

4 p.m.  The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948).  Great film to see again over the holidays.

Wow, that guy on the right looks just like Tom.

• Haha 1