Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

7,327 posts in this topic

Thursday, January 10

5b2f40065232df8fedf376274d9f0bb6.jpg

2:25 a.m.  The Minotaur (1960).  Featuring gold medal decathlon winner, Bob Mathias.  Mathias seems to have overcome being miscast in his first film, The Bob Mathias Story (1954) but he’s still no Bruce Jenner.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, January 10

2:25 a.m.  The Minotaur (1960).  Featuring gold medal decathlon winner, Bob Mathias.  Mathias seems to have overcome being miscast in his first film, The Bob Mathias Story (1954) but he’s still no Bruce Jenner.

But in fairness, neither is Bruce Jenner ... anymore.

• Haha 5

Friday, January 11

8-5.jpg

5:30 p.m.  8 1/2 (1963).  Brilliantly paced Federico Fellini film with Marcello Mastroianni.  I've wondered if Mario Pisu (seen above with Barbara Steele) who plays a fellow film director and ladies' man, Mario Mezzabotta was a shot at Vittorio de Sica?

• Like 2

I think I discovered a schedule change. 

Amazons of Rome (1963) is scheduled for January 17/18 at 4:30 AM ET. 

However, my cable box guide is showing Revolt of the Gladiators (1958) in that time slot. This film is also known as The Warrior and the Slave Girl

I thought I'd mention it, as I'm sure most people around here were planning on watching Amazons of Rome.

220px-Amazons_of_Rome.jpg      220px-The_Warrior_and_the_Slave_Girl.jpg

• Haha 3

Saturday, January 12

FGCtU1.jpg

9:30 a.m.  Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe: The Purple Death (1940).  Episode One!

137-015droopylips.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Little Swee’ Pee (1936).

maxresdefault.jpg

2 a.m.  The Freshman (1990).  Marlon Brando is pretty good in this Godfather lampoon.  Who better to spoof him.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2019 at 3:44 PM, LawrenceA said:

Tomorrow, Sunday January 6, has a lot of good stuff scheduled:

220px-The_Age_Of_Innocence.jpg

The Age of Innocence (1993) - 5:30 PM ET - Martin Scorsese surprised everyone with this delicate period romantic drama featuring Daniel Day-Lewis, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Winona Ryder. 

GLAD that they're showing more films of the 80s and 90s starring the likes of these three stars! They could play in movies of decades past if a time machine was around. LOL

On 1/10/2019 at 2:49 AM, Bogie56 said:

Friday, January 11

8-5.jpg

5:30 p.m.  8 1/2 (1963).  Brilliantly paced Federico Fellini film with Marcello Mastroianni.  I've wondered if Mario Pisu (seen above with Barbara Steele) who plays a fellow film director and ladies' man, Mario Mezzabotta was a shot at Vittorio de Sica?

Ironically, Daniel Day Lewis played a character loosely based on Fellini in 'Nine':

https://static.rogerebert.com/uploads/movie/movie_poster/nine-2009/large_2PSmbXIUWgUVsXq2U1MoVj3f38g.jpg

On 1/7/2019 at 12:29 AM, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, January 8

riorita1942_120520120212.jpg

10 p.m. Rio Rita (1942).  Now here’s a plot:  Nazi Agents try to infiltrate a dude ranch.  That’s sure to win the war.

They showed at least four of their films this week.

I thought their spoof of 'Jack and the Beanstalk' was interesting.

don't forget UNDERGROUND tonight..... ;)

2:15 AM

" A gleeful mad scientist has built a robot with a dead body inside to battle the treasure-guarding mummy of an Aztec warrior and seize said treasure. Reasonably well produced, but an incoherent mess that moves about as rapidly as its shambling mummy. ....
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

" A gleeful mad scientist has built a robot with a dead body inside to battle the treasure-guarding mummy of an Aztec warrior and seize said treasure. Reasonably well produced, but an incoherent mess that moves about as rapidly as its shambling mummy. ....

It's probably worth sticking around just to see the Aztec Mummy beat the living **** out of the robot.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mr6666 said:

This being on Underground is giving me flashbacks of Marley and Me and 'Nam flashbacks of The Garbage Pail Kids Movie.

19 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, January 12

FGCtU1.jpg

9:30 a.m.  Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe: The Purple Death (1940).  Episode One!

I'll miss the cheeseball of Mandrake, The Magician but hot dog Flash Gordon! Further continues my Saturdays of cruising from Underground to Saturday morning serials.

• Like 2

On 1/11/2019 at 2:37 AM, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, January 12

maxresdefault.jpg

2 a.m.  The Freshman (1990).  Marlon Brando is pretty good in this Godfather lampoon.  Who better to spoof him.

THAT is one of the best (and underrated) films from Brando.

It was also shot mainly in Canada too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Monday, January 14

074996ad-9c21-4d30-b0bf-55cde8448dad.jpe

8 p.m.  James Stewart, Robert Mitchum: The Two Faces of America (2017).  Weird premise for a documentary.  I’m curious to see if they pull it off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bogie,

This is off topic, but I meant to post this in response to your excellent review of the new BREXIT movie starring Cumberdact Bendersnitch (sp?) in the I JUST WATCHED THHREAD

(I'm American and I thought it was funny as Hell, I'm thinking you'll get a kick out of it)

Screen-Shot-2017-05-17-at-08.04.12.png

(where is the lie?)

PS- I kid Benedict, because someone needs to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

more on topic tho-

tonight at 8:00 pm (East Coast)

8:00 PM
C - 128 m

Synopsis: Two sisters become rivals while playing women's baseball during World War II.
DirPenny Marshall CastTom Hanks , Geena Davis , Lori Petty .

(A really charming movie from the early 1990's that I wouldn't mind seeing worked into regular rotation on TCM. )

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ha!  So far, it's one of those movies that when I come across it while "surfing" that I'll stop and watch regardless of when I come in.

I even like MADONNA'S performance in it.  

Go figure.........

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Ha!  So far, it's one of those movies that when I come across it while "surfing" that I'll stop and watch regardless of when I come in.

I even like MADONNA'S performance in it.  

Go figure.........

Sepiatone

All true. It's about the closest she's come to playing an actual human on screen.

All the actresses give performances very much in the vein of the classic film actresses of the thirties and forties, I guarantee you there was a marathon screening of films from the period for them.

• Like 3

Tomorrow, January 14, the schedule has a full day, 6:00 AM ET to 8:00 PM ET, of Pre-Code crime pictures. Most of them play regularly, but they're still enjoyable. Highlights include three Cagney pics: The Public EnemySmart Money, and The Doorway to Hell. That last one features the unusual sight of Lew Ayres as a gangster. I've liked Smart Money, with Cagney teamed beside Edward G. Robinson, every time I've watched it. And what else is there to say about The Public Enemy? It truly is an essential film.

MV5BZDUzNzMxMzMtZDQ5Yi00ZGIwLWJkOWMtZDM1

smartmoney1931.1606_101320141149.jpg

ThePublicEnemy1931.2154_012620161037.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

more on topic tho-

tonight at 8:00 pm (East Coast)

8:00 PM
C - 128 m

Synopsis: Two sisters become rivals while playing women's baseball during World War II.
DirPenny Marshall CastTom Hanks , Geena Davis , Lori Petty .

(A really charming movie from the early 1990's that I wouldn't mind seeing worked into regular rotation on TCM. )

This is a very good movie .  It does pop up a lot on various channels and I have it on DVD.  If it comes on, I may start watching and then have to finish it.  There are no dead spots in this one or places where it drags.  The cast is excellent, and I am not talking about Tom Hanks.  Although Hanks does a good job in it, but it really is not his movie.  The women are the stars in this one and Hanks and the rest of the guys support them.

I really don't like Madonna's singing, but her renditions in this one will make your eyes water.  As for her acting, in this one she can do it and bring it off.

This would be great as a regular spring or summertime movie for TCM.  The Girls of Summer?

As an aside, I don't really care for baseball, but I like baseball movies.  Go figure. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tuesday, January 15

You_John_Jones_photo__28165.1432130925.1

3.JPG

5:30 p.m.  You, John Jones! (1943).  Short film with James Cagney and Margaret O’Brien.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wednesday, January 16

indestructible-man-1956-butcher-benton-b

noon.  The Indestructible Man (1956).  Now you've done it … Lon Chaney, Jr. is coming to get you and he's indestructible!

• Like 3

On 1/13/2019 at 4:55 PM, LawrenceA said:

Tomorrow, January 14,  Highlights include three Cagney pics: The Public EnemySmart Money, and The Doorway to Hell. That last one features the unusual sight of Lew Ayres as a gangster. I've liked Smart Money, with Cagney teamed beside Edward G. Robinson, every time I've watched it.

I like LEW AYRES as a person, but as an actor...there were limitations. Those limitations are really stage center in DOORWAY TO HELL.

DAMN THO, I am sorry I missed SMART MONEY will HAVE to HULU it! I did not know CAGNEY and ROBINSON made a film together!