Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,867 posts in this topic

Not only that, Lorna, but Cagney seems to be very possessive of Robinson and doesn't like the women Robinson dates. At one point Robinson even asks sarcastically if Cagney wants to be his girlfriend. That being said, Cagney doesn't have much screen time. Robinson is front and center all the time, playing a small-town guy who wants to compete with the big gamblers in the big city. If you like EGR, it's an entertaining film, nicely directed.

• Thanks 1

On 1/12/2019 at 2:07 PM, ClassicMovies_fan_chick said:

THAT is one of the best (and underrated) films from Brando.

It was also shot mainly in Canada too.

D-MN. How did I miss this? I love that movie! :(

Thursday, January 17/18

amazons-of-rome-e1fc4969-7ef5-411a-9f02-

4:30 a.m.  Amazons of Rome (1963).  I wouldn’t mind seeing this for historical interest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, January 17/18

4:30 a.m.  Amazons of Rome (1963).  I wouldn’t mind seeing this for historical interest.

Louis Jourdan in a loincloth? I'd tune in for that!

• Haha 1

On 1/16/2019 at 2:12 AM, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, January 17/18

I seriously doubt there is any "historical" value to it.  On the other hand, entertainment value could be high.  

Recommended viewing for Friday evening: King Rat. I know, what a surprise. A prison camp movie where there is no chance of escape. By the way, the very large set was created in the LA area, and perhaps should have won the Oscar for set and art direction among B&W films. Bryan Forbes wanted old-school cinematographer Burnett Guffey rather than younger and more fashionable choices. Forbes' screenplay improves on James Clavell's novel, and, a former actor himself, he always knows how to direct actors. George Segal and James Fox in the lead roles are exceptionally good, but the whole cast is strong.

Speaking of Forbes as a director of actors: if you've seen Kim Stanley chew the scenery and do tons of Method shtick in The Goddess, you'll be surprised by the strong, unmannered performance Forbes gets from her in Seance on a Wet Afternoon. Richard Attenborough, as Stanley henpecked husband, is outstanding as usual.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kingrat said:

Speaking of Forbes as a director of actors: if you've seen Kim Stanley chew the scenery and do tons of Method shtick in The Goddess, you'll be surprised by the strong, unmannered performance Forbes gets from her in Seance on a Wet Afternoon. Richard Attenborough, as Stanley henpecked husband, is outstanding as usual.

Kim Stanley should have won the Best Actress Oscar for Seance on a Wet Afternoon. The award went to Julie Andrews for Mary Poppins. Ms. Stanley's career on Broadway includes leading roles in the original productions of Bus Stop, Picnic, A Touch of the Poet, and The House of Bernarda Alba.

• Like 2

Saturday, January 19

500px-Flash_Gordon_Conquers_the_Universe

9:30 a.m.  Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe: Freezing Torture (1940).  Episode Two.

hqdefault.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Hold the Wire (1933).

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Swithin said:

Kim Stanley should have won the Best Actress Oscar for Seance on a Wet Afternoon. The award went to Julie Andrews for Mary Poppins. Ms. Stanley's career on Broadway includes leading roles in the original productions of Bus Stop, Picnic, A Touch of the Poet, and The House of Bernarda Alba.

Yes, or Sophia Loren.

• Like 3

On 1/16/2019 at 4:14 PM, Hibi said:

Louis Jourdan in a loincloth? I'd tune in for that!

L.J. was actually the ONLY one in long, leather pants for some reason.....:blink::lol:

I love Butcher Baker Nightmare Maker so much.  This is full on unmitigated and uninhibited Susan Tyrell madness. I own the blu-ray and it still may never leave my DVR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sunday, January 20/21

1113019_landscape.jpg?1536249818

4:45 a.m.  A Dancer’s World (1957).  Documentary with Martha Graham.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mr6666 said:

TCM Underground @TCMUnderground 2h2 hours ago

Tonight! Starring one of our heroes, Susan Tyrrell, it’s the premiere of BUTCHER, BAKER, NIGHTMARE MAKER (1981) at 2:30 am east / 11:30 pm west!

DxOLRZDV4AAMRHz.jpg

It was incredibly underground and deserved it's rating and rep as a video nasty but Susan Tyrrell made it a must see. Underground hit it out of the park with that one and is worth staying up for. It is pretty unsettling though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, January 20/21

1113019_landscape.jpg?1536249818

4:45 a.m.  A Dancer’s World (1957).  Documentary with Martha Graham.

I watched this last year, and had this to say about it:

A Dancer's World (1957)

MV5BODA5NTIxNzItNTY0Yi00Y2E4LWJhZTYtYzNl

Short, 30-minute documentary originally made for public television. Dance legend Martha Graham hosts and narrates thoughts on dance and the mind of a dancer, while various members of her dance troupe perform in an unadorned rehearsal space. This is too brief and shallow to shed much insight into either Graham or the art of dance itself. It works only as a mildly pleasant time-waster, despite it's pretensions. Graham wears an outfit that looks straight out of Star Trek, though.    (6/10)

Source: FilmStruck.

MarthaGraham%2520dressing%2520table.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Monday, January 21/22

800__a_soldiers_story_blu-ray_4_.jpg

12:30 a.m.  A Soldier’s Story (1984).  Good performances all around in this Norman Jewison film.  Adolph Caesar should have won the Oscar in my book.  Haing S. Ngor of The Killing Fields was clearly in the wrong category.  Newcomers are often put in the supporting categories even if they are the leads.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Tuesday, January 22

hqdefault.jpg

4:30 p.m.  To Have and Have Not (1944).  The original Bogie and Bacall.

• Like 1

I see now that i somehow missed a lot of recommendations for BUTCHER, BAKER, NIGHTMARE MAKER- but I ended up seeing it anyway thanks to HULU.

Monday, Jan 21/22

2:30AM DEVIL IN A BLUE DRESS

Great neo noir told from a black perspective, set in 1948 LA. Denzel Washington's charm carries the day as Easy Rawlins, down and out and in need of a job, who gets hired by a hood to find a woman. Sounds simple enough? You know it never is. Don Cheadle steals every scene he's in as Easy's psychotic compatriot, so crazy, at times, that he might even turn on Easy. An atmospheric period piece that deserves to be better known.

The-Devil-in-a-Blue-Dress-DI.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

TCMVerified account @tcm

Since we're showing it tonight at 2:30am ET, here's host @EddieMuller on DEVIL IN A BLUE DRESS ('95)

-----------------------------------------------------

Noir AlleyVerified account @NoirAlley

This week for #NoirOrNot host @EddieMuller looks at Carl Franklin's DEVIL IN A BLUE DRESS ('95) starring Denzel Washington and Don Cheadle. #NoirAlley

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Eddie MullerVerified account @EddieMuller 4h4 hours ago

Eddie Muller Retweeted TCM

Terrific movie! If it’s past your bedtime, DVR it. Script, direction and cast are spot-on. @tcm @NoirAlley @noirfoundation

• Thanks 1

Wednesday, January 23

The evening of TBA turns out to be devoted to Ernie Kovacs.  January 23 marks the centenary of his birth.  TCM starts with …

Adams-Kovacs-e1486821335839.jpg

8 p.m.  The Ernie Kovacs Show

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/21/2019 at 8:44 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I see now that i somehow missed a lot of recommendations for BUTCHER, BAKER, NIGHTMARE MAKER- but I ended up seeing it anyway thanks to HULU.

I saw it the night/morning it aired on TCM.That's 1 1/2 hrs of my life I'll never get back. 😄

• Haha 1

Thursday, January 24/25

260191.jpg

5 a.m.  The Tartars (1961).  Victor Mature goes on the rampage as Vikings steal the secret sauce.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 1/18/2019 at 5:38 PM, mr6666 said:

L.J. was actually the ONLY one in long, leather pants for some reason.....:blink::lol:

I forgot to record it! I guess no great loss then. LOL.

On 1/21/2019 at 7:57 PM, TomJH said:

Monday, Jan 21/22

2:30AM DEVIL IN A BLUE DRESS

Great neo noir told from a black perspective, set in 1948 LA. Denzel Washington's charm carries the day as Easy Rawlins, down and out and in need of a job, who gets hired by a hood to find a woman. Sounds simple enough? You know it never is. Don Cheadle steals every scene he's in as Easy's psychotic compatriot, so crazy, at times, that he might even turn on Easy. An atmospheric period piece that deserves to be better known.

The-Devil-in-a-Blue-Dress-DI.jpg

Another film I forgot to record. :(