Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,841 posts in this topic

On 1/17/2019 at 10:37 PM, Swithin said:

Kim Stanley should have won the Best Actress Oscar for Seance on a Wet Afternoon. The award went to Julie Andrews for Mary Poppins. Ms. Stanley's career on Broadway includes leading roles in the original productions of Bus Stop, Picnic, A Touch of the Poet, and The House of Bernarda Alba.

Watched Seance on Friday. Hadnt seen the film in a long time. Kim was GREAT!!!! Sad she only got an Oscar nod, but she did win the NY Critics Award for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tomorrow 1/24 at 6 AM is New Moon

ZSM8_025.jpg?v=1493306397

I don't think I've seen this early 30s version of this Romberg operetta before. 

Also at 12 PM is Naughty Marietta - good movie and one of my favorite Herbert operettas.

MV5BMTM5Nzk2MzU5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzM2

As enjoyable as placing one's tender parts in a rat-trap.

Or peeling back one's toenails with a claw hammer.

Or watching Ed Asner bathe.

Or eating a peanut-butter & oyster sandwich.

With mayo.

• Haha 4

45 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

As enjoyable as placing one's tender parts in a rat-trap.

Or peeling back one's toenails with a claw hammer.

Or watching Ed Asner bathe.

Or eating a peanut-butter & oyster sandwich.

With mayo.

Maybe you've been seeing too many Mike Mazurki films.

• Haha 1

just catching some of......... (weird flick!) ;)

never saw before

------------------------------------------------------

"Audiences seeing Psych-Out for the first time will be fascinated, amused or even embarrassed by the presence of so many up-and-coming actors and directors in such low-budget drive-in fare. Besides Nicholson (in a ponytail and not even bothering to fake his own guitar playing), Dern (in a wild man wig), and Strasberg,Dean Stockwell makes a memorable impression as Dave, the long-haired, headband-wearing guru of the group who plays devil's advocate to Nicholson's rock 'n' roll hero. Adam Rourke, who had already appeared in Hells Angels on Wheels (1967) with Nicholson, would go on to specialize in other biker flicks and exploitation films ........

it actually received favorable coverage from many mainstream critics such as Renata Adler of The New York Times who commented that the movie "has considerable elan" and noted, "What is most interesting, though, is that the demands of plot seem to make it necessary to superimpose the structure of a Western onto hippie life." Variety was impressed the performances of the main actors, but also with the direction and cinematography: "Rush's direction is quite exceptional. ....

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/87315/Psych-Out/articles.html

• Like 2

Friday, January 25

101641__48873.1402992947.380.500.jpg?c=2

3 a.m.  Brother Orchid (1940).  Pretty funny gangster film with Edward G. Robinson, Humphrey Bogart, Ann Sheridan and Allen Jenkins.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, January 25

101641__48873.1402992947.380.500.jpg?c=2

3 a.m.  Brother Orchid (1940).  Pretty funny gangster film with Edward G. Robinson, Humphrey Bogart, Ann Sheridan and Allen Jenkins.

Is Eddie G wearing a skirt? Or is that his jacket?

I feel like I need to watch this film based on this image alone.

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

Is Eddie G wearing a skirt? Or is that his jacket?

I feel like I need to watch this film based on this image alone.

He hides out and goes undercover as a monk.

Saturday, January 26

What, no Popeye!?

wwwopac505S7U92.jpg?itok=S7hovmFg

midnight.  The L-Shaped Room (1962).  Bryan Forbes film with great performances from Leslie Caron, Brock Peters, Avis Bunnage and Cicely Courtneidge.  

Fans of Ms. Caron may be delighted to hear that she was in London this month (Jan. 17th) for a screening of The L-Shaped Room at the Cinema Lumiere with a Q&A afterward.

126 mins

in English

UK | 1962 | dir. Bryan Forbes, with Leslie Caron, Tom Bell, Brock Peters

Nominated for Best Actress in a Leading Role in the 1964 Academy Awards®, Leslie Caron briefly stepped away from the musicals such as An American in Paris and Gigi to take the role of Jane, a young French woman pregnant with an illegitimate child who finds love and friendship among an assortment of outsiders residing in her dingy Notting Hill neighbourhood.

Followed by a Q&A with actress Leslie Caron, moderated by music composer and member of the Academy of Motion Picture, Gary Yershon

As part of a new year-long residency of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences at Ciné Lumière, bringing archive films associated with the Oscars and on-stage conversations

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Bogie, I was just going to recommend this very film. With King Rat and Seance on a Wet Afternoon shown recently on TCM, and The L-Shaped Room set for tomorrow, TCM viewers have had a chance to see some of Bryan Forbes' best work.

If you wonder why you've never heard of Tom Bell: at the BAFTA Awards where Leslie Caron won her well-earned Best Actress award, a drunken Tom Bell interrupted the proceedings ranting against Prince Philip. This did not help his career.

Earlier Saturday afternoon is a film, Rachel, Rachel, I don't like as much as I used to, and a starring performance by Joanne Woodward I don't like quite as much as I used to, but the supporting performances by James Olson as a teacher interested in Woodward; Terry Kiser as a charismatic preacher; and Kate Harrington as Woodward's rather terrifying but all too believable mother are all outstanding.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sunday, January 27

Querelle.jpg

2 a.m.  Querelle (1982).  A Rainer Werner Fassbinder film that I have yet to see.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, January 27

Querelle.jpg

2 a.m.  Querelle (1982).  A Rainer Werner Fassbinder film that I have yet to see.

HOO BOY....

its, um, a DISARMINGLY GAY film, And I say this as a gay man who is watched numerous gay themed TV shows and movies.

Like, judge me if you want to for saying this, but it’s too gay *even for me.*

Will most definitely try to watch it again tonight though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

I say :lol: in good humour I hope you know.

Oh of course!

Seriously though, this movie may scare the Hell out of those of you who are straight. It is INTENSE even by my standards 

• Thanks 1

for SILENT SUNDAY, .....excellent silent 'early Noir' w/great performances by Navarro & Bennett  :)

12:00 AM
B/W - 81 m

TV-G

silent
Red Lily, The (1924)

Synopsis: In this silent film, a chance separation throws young lovers into the dregs of society.
DirFred Niblo CastEnid Bennett , Ramon Novarro , Wallace Beery .

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/1381/Red-Lily-The/articles.html

".... there is plenty of tension throughout the film which puts the audience's emotions into overdrive. The film was shot extremely well; every frame is a work of art. The tinting is not overdone at all either. The characters are very likable, thanks to the wonderful acting by the cast. Bennett is appropriately tragic and sweet, but not in a bland way. She makes a very traditional role into something special. Novarro is great making his transition from a devoted protector to a paranoid hardened man of the streets. Beery is at his best here; every expression is a delight to watch. He balances humor and sincerity very well.

Scott Salinas provides a gorgeous and perfect score for the TCM presentation of the film. He truly understand the art of bringing emotion to a scene; he managed to make every note blend excellently with the fabric of the story.

This is silent movie making at its best, ...."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0015268/reviews?ref_=tt_ql_3

• Like 4

Monday, January 28

920x920.jpg

10 pm.  Bullitt (1968).  With the King of Cool, Steve McQueen.  The Fastback is pretty good too.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

HOO BOY....

its, um, a DISARMINGLY GAY film, And I say this as a gay man who is watched numerous gay themed TV shows and movies.

Like, judge me if you want to for saying this, but it’s too gay *even for me.*

Will most definitely try to watch it again tonight though.

Yeah, Fassbinder was gay as you probably already know. Ali: Fear Eats the Soul which is also on, features his lover El Hedi ben Salem in a lead role too. They actually met in a gay bathhouse! 

7 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Yeah, Fassbinder was gay as you probably already know. Ali: Fear Eats the Soul which is also on, features his lover El Hedi ben Salem in a lead role too. They actually met in a gay bathhouse! 

I saw ALI FEAR EATS THE SOUL alittle over a year ago on TCM, and I LOVED IT.

It is a great, and in many ways timeless, film. Watching it, I was struck by how it could’ve absolutely been something made today. I’m also a big fan of ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS, Which many people have (accurately) pointed out this film is basically of a remake of.

Then I went to the Wikipedia Entry for ALI...

It seems like FASSBINDER was a total bastard of a human being. Numerous actors who worked with him have claimed he was physically abusive with them, The actress who plays his wife in the movie had some particularly harrowing things to say....

I’m very, very sorry I read that – but at the same time the film itself stands as a very compassionate and understanding movie And one I would highly recommend.

• Thanks 1

Tuesday, January 29/30

mediacritica_otello-650x250.jpg

4 a.m.  Othello (1952).  Another masterpiece from Orson Welles.  But which version is TCM going to show?  It has been newly restored - again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2019 at 12:34 AM, Bogie56 said:

Monday, January 28

920x920.jpg

10 pm.  Bullitt (1968).  With the King of Cool, Steve McQueen.  The Fastback is pretty good too.

But the Dodge Charger was actually the superior car.

Wednesday, January 30/31

3e217a0473fed66e369e5ebb8d4f48b4.jpg

4:30 a.m.  A Woman’s Secret (1949).  With Maureen O’Hara and Gloria Grahame.

• Thanks 1

Thursday, January 31

SomewhereInSonora16.png

7:15 a.m.  Somewhere In Sonora (1933).  With John Wayne.

For Friday, Feb. 1: If you haven't seen The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter (1968), I recommend it. Alan Arkin's performance is Oscar-worthy, and Sondra Locke also does a fine job as the adolescent girl.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Friday, February 1

600full-the-heart-is-a-lonely-hunter-scr

4 p.m.  The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter (1968).  Arguably Sandra Locke’s finest film.